• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Boot Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Since I can never nail down any type of solid admissions, I decided to allow everyone who applied to the Debate Hall, and had a decent reason in the request, into the room. My hopes is to stimulate some type of activity in the room. So far, it's been successful.

However, I am unable to be everywhere on this forum at once, so I look to you, the Debaters, for help. Essentially, I want to know who everyone feels is not worth allowing back here. The room is based on the group, so I want the group to decide.

If a person is chosen, I'll read all their Debate Hall posts. If I feel the accusations are correct, I'll PM them saying, "You have been chosen to be removed from the Debate Hall." If the member feels it was unfair accusations that caused their pending removal, they are allowed to make a post about why they should be allowed to stay.

Why am I doing this? Other than being so uninvolved with many debates, I want to ensure that I hold no personal grudges. I hate people who post poorly, so if a person uses poor grammar and spelling, I make a judgment based on that.

I really hope this topic won't be used, but if there is a member everyone feels is unworthy, please bring it to our attention.

Caturdayz

Smash Journeyman
doom dragon 105.

If I am wrong about this sorry but every one of his posts have been pointless thus far.

Mediocre

Ziz
BRoomer
doom dragon 105.

If I am wrong about this sorry but every one of his posts have been pointless thus far.
I second this.

I'm not sure he understands the purpose of the Debate Hall.

If he makes a decent debate topic or an intelligent post in a topic, I rescind my nomination, but I haven't seen anything like that yet from him.

WuTangDude

Smash Ace
Man, this explains everything to me. I was just about to come here to ask why I received the title of Smash Debater without really doing anything to prove my worth to this sub-community.

I felt happy at first, but then honestly, I became upset, knowing that there were others that did reports and such to earn the title, while I didn't do anything beyond requesting to join. It was like cheating on a game, you get what you want, but you don't really appreciate as much as you would have from earning it.

But in this case, I'l simply prove my intelligence in my posts to prove my worth here. :)

Caturdayz

Smash Journeyman
doom dragon 105 is making his case for deletion stronger... With his latest topic.

America; Democracy, Republic, or Empire.

Please CK, its getting bad.

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
Straight8 has shown himself incapable of understanding the basics of debating, yet continues to ridicule everyone in personal attacks while throwing up baseless claims without even bothering to back them up.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Doom dragon has until tomorrow night and straight 8 has until Sunday to respond.

Zero Beat

Cognitive Scientist
NNID
BLUE
3DS FC
4141-3279-8878
Straight8 has shown himself incapable of understanding the basics of debating, yet continues to ridicule everyone in personal attacks while throwing up baseless claims without even bothering to back them up.
I agree with you on this one. He's full of ambiguity.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Never. I judge people solely how they post. Since, I just let anyone in now, it's even more laxed, but I still just treat everyone the same - post well, you are fine.

straight8

Banned via Warnings
Probably sleeping or in school.. but always in GA
This is ridiculous.

Where have I adhered from the basics of debate? The only places I've posted in debate hall are places about free will and whether God is real or not, and those are not an exact science. What the heck, do you know how many people have ridiculed and called me stupid and umb just because I am a christian and I say it? Just because I believ in God and in miracles and such. If that isn't fit for the debate hall, then I don't know what is.

Instead of some general your post is bad, how about bringing up posts? Why not? I don't know what you people are talking about when you say I do not adhere from the basics of debate. I take debate, and I never say anything without my own experience and reason behind it. Personal attacks? I called someone dumb if I thought they were acting dumb, and I'm sorry for that. But what about comradeSAL who said that all christians were bad at everything? can you say that and get away with it? I only say what I believe to be true, and if I've put you down, I'm sorry. I hope I won't be kicked out, but I guess that is the mods decision. Please read my posts. I only say what I believe.

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
Only in the debate hall you have to do more than state your opinions. You have to support them with evidence. You, however, have done nothing but state as fact whatever you happen to erroneously believe.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Your getting dismissed is your decision alone. Prove to us you are a competent debater and can actually convey your point in a compelling way. You are to prove you should stay in this room. Feel free to use your posts as examples.

straight8

Banned via Warnings
Probably sleeping or in school.. but always in GA
free wil and science are completely differnet topics. How could science create free will?

You can't prove something like that. What the heck. If you could, then everyone would know about it, and there would be no intelligent christians or anyone else that believed in free will.

Your mind realy can't fathom why you choose what you choose. humans aren't built to understand soem concepts, including infinity and free will. And science cannot prove anything that is not under or about science. Human life and living isn't a science that you can put parameters on and hem in. You can't put a mind under a microscope and see where thoughts originate. You don't know where an impulse starts and where they conflict, or where instinct or any emotion comes from. So don't use science to try and prove something science cannot possibly understand.

humans are too complex to be objects of science or logic. In science if you look at animals, if a stronger animal attacks a weaker animal, the weaker aninmal always submits or runs if it sees it is weaker. But what causes bravery and love and courage? not science. RThose are human. science can't explain those things, and neither can it explain free will.
This is what I said after altf4warrior said that science proved free will nonexistant, which is what he made a thread about. I have th thread open right now, and these are some of the things he said:

"Free will has a couple of problems when trying to reconcile with physics. The most major issue with having choice is that it violates a very fundamental principle of science: Causality. To quote the matrix: “You see there is only one constant. One universal. It is the only real truth. Causality. Action, reaction. Cause and effect.”"

- causality doesn't violate free will. To use your billiard analogy, what if a person grabs the stick, or takes away one of the balls or the cue ball? Also, the matrix isn't a reliable source to quote as a scientific reference.

"Events in the present cause things to happen in the future. Things that are happening in present were caused by events in the past. Every cause has an effect, and every effect was made by a cause. It is a basic, fundamental, essential assumption that must be made for anything to make sense. All of human history can be summarized by the gradual realization that things in the world happen according to physical laws, and not by whim or superstition. It is impossible to stress just how important causality is in science. Without it, there is no reason for anything that happens. Any scientific theory that comes about that contradicts causality is assumed to be false. In fact a typical method of disproving a theory is to show that it violates causality."

-You are already assuming that free will doesn't exist when you make your decisions. How about in a chess match, if your opponent moves somewhere, you can move several different ways. If you have been trained to play chess, you can see the good and logical ideas. But you can choose to do something foolish, like attack with your king. what if people don't always react? What if we could react in more than one way? We would have free will. But you assume that we don't haev free will in this argument, and you say that every cause only has one definite effect. But that isn't something you can prove by assuming youare right tand then proving it. And that is a poor summary of human history, because why has faith grown? And why are more people going to church? Are all those people foolish?

"Put another way, go down the evolutionary list and ask yourself: “Does this have free choice?” Humans, dogs, rats, flies, ants, grass, bacteria? From a biological standpoint, we are not in any relevant way different from these other organisms that we assume to not have free will."

-Yes, we are. We have a written language, more complex brain, and a belief in God, right and wrong, which non of those other things have. Biologically, we also walk on our feet and have opposeable thumbs. But look psychologically, and that is where free will is from.

That's all I have to say about that..

... how did you ever get into the debate hall.

For the sake of my sanity, I'm not going to begin to enumerate your nearly countless misconception about science, logic, and the nature of knowledge. I only hope that your excuse is you're too young to know better. A fully grown adult with that amount of ignorance is a dangerous thing.
Is that rude? or is it just me? Are personal attacks ok, and if they aren't, why is he allowed to say things like this?

Only in the debate hall you have to do more than state your opinions. You have to support them with evidence. You, however, have done nothing but state as fact whatever you happen to erroneously believe.
Um, what about my thing with animals and courage which is true? And your billiard analogy? You stated that free will was like a billiards game with out any proof.

another quote by altf4warrior in his free will topic:

" How this affects the topic of free will is that Quantum Mechanics destroys the previous possibility of determinism. It was thought before Quantum Theory that if you were to know the position and velocity of every particle in the universe at one point in time, you could predict the future from that point forward. We now know that this is false. "

You are assuming that quantum mechanics id right, specifically the theory called the Copenhagen interpretation, where there are functions in space that if you observe them they will change into infintiely many and different futures.

Where's the proof there? You just stated someone else's theory on something you cannot see or guess, and that few people are smart enough to really understand.

That is my argument. I chose my post on free will because it was my most recent one, and that is why I'm being attacked by altf4warrior. Here's the thread where I quote him from so you can reference:

http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=108893&highlight=free

cF=)

Smash Lord
Just... wow.

Are you saying AltF4's wrong because he relied on scientific theories which can't be guessed or seen? Following the same logic, atoms don't exist, nor can waves or forces, the sun rotates around earth, etc.

It's also astonishing to watch you try refute points you don't even understand. At the very least was the pool example bad, yet you got it all wrong because you decided to get from it what you wanted to. Same with chess, even if someone's doing a "random" move, his arm moving forward to the piece, grabbing it and then moving it to another location is still the effect of a cause; your arm muscles had to receive a stimulus to move, which had to be the effect of a chemical reaction in your brain. And I hope I'm not teaching you anything here...

Cause, and effect.

The inane post you gave us here will also have an effect: your boot.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Well, that post didn't really help your case. For all that is good, put your posts in a spell checker from now on. Just copy them to Word.

As for your booting? I am giving you 3 hours to submit to me a sizeable argument as to why you should be allowed to stay. At the moment, I saw your post just know a pathetic attempt to attack AltF4, someone who knows a great deal more than you do about any and all science, and bring him down with you.

cF=)

Smash Lord
CK, I'm down on both my knees so you accept to reinstate the entrance essay. I don't know if you're carefully watching on new members, but it's a facepalming matter when you see topics created without prior use of the search function, or proper grammar, or simply intelligent arguments (yossarian22 arguing **** in the God topic).

Taking a look at this? Please?

cF=)

Smash Lord
Forget this, I've had problems with the edit button.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
The problem with the essay is I don't have time to read 30 essays a week. So, it gets REALLY backed up, and no one new gets added.

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
I might as well say that I support the way it is now, we actually have activity!

cF=)

Smash Lord
Alright then... I agree the rising activity is fun.

At least give a warning to Sirhc, he posts like every thread's a chat conversation.

Surri-Sama

Smash Hero
Alright then... I agree the rising activity is fun.

At least give a warning to Sirhc, he posts like every thread's a chat conversation.
Before i make any attempt to defend myself i need to ask exactly what you mean, is this dirrected at my Grammer and spelling?

Zero Beat

Cognitive Scientist
NNID
BLUE
3DS FC
4141-3279-8878
Bah cF, no need to be THAT picky!

At least he understands and accepts when he's wrong, and learns from it. Which is the point of a debate; to learn.

ComradeSAL

Smash Journeyman
His grammar and spelling are both poor, but more importantly than that is that his arguments don't seem to have a lot of thought put into them. The result can be somewhat painful to read at times. Still, I think he's a positive contributor.

cF=)

Smash Lord
I hate people who post poorly, so if a person uses poor grammar and spelling, I make a judgment based on that.
I wouldn't go as far as saying I'm picky in that case. The thread's about complaints of the sort, which I hold against this user. Do I need to play the role of an advocate? If so, I'll just make quick quotes in order to get my point across:

1) From the drug topic

Sirhc said:
Im going to use something from the "Should woman be aloud to go around topless" and acording to the mass, Woman should have the right to do with thier body as they please, so why not drugies?

because people have tryed to reject them from socity, owell =.=
2) Topless women topic

Sirhc said:
Personaly i think its a bit foolish, these "feminists" really are tryign to say men and woman are exactly the same...we have no physical or mental diffeances, we are perfectly equil

I think this is just a slow movement step, that woman are taking to try and gain more controle in what they do, and they really dont care what it is, as long as its a control =.=

Thier arguement is "we should be allowed to do the same" then tell me that when you see a man breast feeding...wouldnt that be redicules...btu why not, we are all exactly the same

and its not about being offended about it, tis about the fact that tis a sexual body part and itll only cause mroe problems with pervs and sexual deviants, but who cares right GIRL POWER!!!
3) Fresh from the evolution topic

Sirhc said:
exactly Darwyns (wrong spelling yes but you get it) theorys about natural selection would quickly push the animals with abnormalities, into using them...

ex, A bird has wings but does'nt know how to use them, it gets hunted, killed and eatin, depending on the rate of this happening, the birds of this group, flock, (what ever you want to call them) will learn to use your wings to your advantage, or die :p
The point is not to look at his arguments, rather see that he purposefully posts using bad grammar. This is worthy of a check up, or a ban.

Caturdayz

Smash Journeyman
Sirhc has been really getting on my nerves lately. However, I don't beleive he should be kicked out... I agree with cF that a warning would be most appropriate.

EDIT:
The problem with the essay is I don't have time to read 30 essays a week. So, it gets REALLY backed up, and no one new gets added.
Why don't you get a couple of people off of the boards that you are confident would be fair in admissions, and let them make that decision for you.

That way we don't get doom dragons 105's and forbuxgux's... But we can still get positive new people.

EDIT 2: I nominate AgGun

I think that it's not right because if your family is close (as in cares about you) you hurt them to by commiting suicide but it shouldent be illegal but also not included period in the laws, its more a personal desicion, i do think that mass suicides in cults should be illegal if anyone in the cult objects they should be allowed out. so to get back on topic you shouldnt have anything against you or for you on commiting suicide but also you will have the people you leave behind (if any) that will be depressed.

behemoth

Smash Journeyman
This is probably going to come across as conceited or something, but I work as a senior counselor at the Writing Center at my University (Texas State University), and wouldn't mind looking at a couple more essays a week. As long as you gave me or whoever helped a "grading criterion", it would likely work out well.

I think this is likely the best way to do it CK, we want more activity but we're not going to ask you to devote 15 hours a week to reading essays.

Btw, I also agree to the Doom Dragons nomination.

Surri-Sama

Smash Hero
I wouldn't go as far as saying I'm picky in that case. The thread's about complaints of the sort, which I hold against this user. Do I need to play the role of an advocate? If so, I'll just make quick quotes in order to get my point across:

1) From the drug topic

2) Topless women topic

3) Fresh from the evolution topic

The point is not to look at his arguments, rather see that he purposefully posts using bad grammar. This is worthy of a check up, or a ban.
This may not help me but I need to say it anyways, I don’t try to use bad grammar, and (believe it or not) I do talk like this in Real Life too, everyone around where I life does, and if I am to be kicked out of this group because my grammar is poor (which in turn is due to where I’ve grown up) then so be it...

As for spelling I am willing to put my posts through word perfect from now on to make sure my spelling is ok (this will help some grammar too but not really)

All in all, people generally DO understand what I say, and what I mean, I feel I have contributed to some debates, fairly and justly, which is all I want to do.

P.S.: Caturdayz, i love you too :) (jk)

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Then, by default, I would probably not listen when you speak. It's a weird trait that if someone uses some wrong verb or pronunciation, I focus on that trying not to correct them on it, which forces me to miss the conversation.

The difference is all you have a words here. At least in real-life, you have gestures. If you cannot speak English clearly, concisely, and accurately, then just stay in the Brawl Discussion room. It's cruel, but it's not fair to others who actually try to craft well articulated and accurate posts.

Surri-Sama

Smash Hero
Then, by default, I would probably not listen when you speak. It's a weird trait that if someone uses some wrong verb or pronunciation, I focus on that trying not to correct them on it, which forces me to miss the conversation.

The difference is all you have a words here. At least in real-life, you have gestures. If you cannot speak English clearly, concisely, and accurately, then just stay in the Brawl Discussion room. It's cruel, but it's not fair to others who actually try to craft well articulated and accurate posts.
Its perfectly fair, I don’t talk as bad as your making it seem (u sur I do talk bad yes?) and if you really, really take so much more time understanding what I say, that it stops you from understanding the point, then I think perhaps you should look at a few other people as well, im not the only one making minor grammer errors. I have already said I will "Word" my posts for spelling, which should make things I say almost perfectly clear.

I did laugh at your comment about the Brawl room though xD

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Also, when you are accused, don't point fingers. You pretty much give immunity to whomever you name.

You have until 8pm eastern to provide a meaningful post on why you shouldn't be removed.

Surri-Sama

Smash Hero
Also, when you are accused, don't point fingers. You pretty much give immunity to whomever you name.

You have until 8pm eastern to provide a meaningful post on why you shouldn't be removed.
i didnt point any fingers, and ive said all im going to say on the matter, ill help my spelling, and try to "enhance my grammar" but thats all i can really do, as thats all I've been acused of...

cF=)

Smash Lord
To be convincing, you should have wrote:

I didn't point any fingers, and I've said all I'm going to say on the matter, I'll help my spelling, and try to "enhance my grammar", but that's all I can really do, as that's all I've been accused of

How can I believe a single word of what's written here if you don't, AS OF NOW, correct your grammar and your spelling?

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
To be convincing, you should have wrote:

I didn't point any fingers, and I've said all I'm going to say on the matter. I'll help my spelling and try to "enhance my grammar", but that's all I can really do, as that's all of which I have been accused.

How can I believe a single word of what's written here if you don't, AS OF NOW, correct your grammar and your spelling?
That would sound even better. BUT, I agree with cF. If you want to explain to people like diapers, AltF4, etc why I hold them to a high standard, but I can't hold you to one be my guest. Also, keep in mind your posts and points are less than spectacular. I need to see a complete turn around and improvement. And I need to see you accurately and articulately debate something in this thread for judging.

Surri-Sama

Smash Hero
That would sound even better. BUT, I agree with cF. If you want to explain to people like diapers, AltF4, etc why I hold them to a high standard, but I can't hold you to one be my guest. Also, keep in mind your posts and points are less than spectacular. I need to see a complete turn around and improvement. And I need to see you accurately and articulately debate something in this thread for judging.
All right, how about I, accept that I have been less then "spectacular" and from now on, (including this post), I will do nothing but debate the topic, fairly, justly, and I will watch my grammar to the fullest of my ability (which is a lot if I take the time to do it) and I will keep my posts concise and to the point.

And it is not my job to explain to people, why you decide to hold high standards...ALTF4 and me are different people and need not be compared. I do accept your rules and terms, and will follow them, but there is nothing for me to debate here, I understand my position and accept it, there is nothing more for me to debate, because I understand where your coming from.

All I can say is, let me keep my posting rights here in the debate hall, and allow me the chance to redeem myself, and I will.

Caturdayz

Smash Journeyman
All right, how about I, accept that I have been less then "spectacular" and from now on, (including this post), I will do nothing but debate the topic, fairly, justly, and I will watch my grammar to the fullest of my ability (which is a lot if I take the time to do it) and I will keep my posts concise and to the point.

And it is not my job to explain to people, why you decide to hold high standards...ALTF4 and me are different people and need not be compared. I do accept your rules and terms, and will follow them, but there is nothing for me to debate here, I understand my position and accept it, there is nothing more for me to debate, because I understand where your coming from.

All I can say is, let me keep my posting rights here in the debate hall, and allow me the chance to redeem myself, and I will.
I can see several grammatical errors in that very post...

behemoth

Smash Journeyman
Caturdayz, I'm not trying to start anything here, but be a little fair man. I was just looking at the locked "belief" thread, and you said it was the "sadest" attempt at starting a debate ever.

We all do it, jeez.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom