• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Big Ike Guide By B4BC edit: CLEANED UP AGAIN A LITTLE

_Riot_

Smash Journeyman
In the guide you have him down for 1 meteor: D-air
add in Aether as # 2.

As well i want to bring something up that happened perhaps someone can test it for me, seeing as how edge guarding is **** near impossible without jumping off the stage this might come in handy.

I was playing Poke-Stadium 1 it was against a falco, he got knocked off and was coming up to the edge using firebird (up-B) he was directly under it coming upward, for some reason (i guess melee edge guarding reflexes) i started charging neutral B right on the ledge, he came up, i released eruption and he got rocketed straight down before even touching the ledge. Now i know Eruption hits far up and down below where you are hitting considering he slams his sword in the ground. My thoughts are either the bottom hitbox of eruption is a spike/meteor, or eruption hit sending him up but he was DI-ing towards the stage which made him bounce off the stage and go straight down, considering he was at high % it was hard to tell.

This also adds an interesting piece of Ike's game, i know the "sweet spot" for the ledge got enhanced when grabbing from the side-ish angle, but it isnt as good from the bottom, which is why eruption hit him while coming up from fire-bird, this will work on a collection of other characters considering there will be times when you just have to come from the bottom, up, instead of across.

But like i said this needs to be tested further, i will mess with it a bit more tomorrow on a collection of characters and report my findings if this is even viable.

scyther250

Smash Cadet
Now, I've been using Ike for almost a month and a half now, and I think I have some good experience to share. By now we should all know that the new air-dodging mechanics are very good for defense, and tend to leave Ike very open to punishment. However, Aether is a persistent projectile, so it has a rather negative effect on anyone air-dodge approaching.

While this alone is quite useful, Aether has another use for edgeguarding that I feel has been overlooked. I call this technique the Aether-Spike, and I'm sure you'll see why in a moment.

When someone is out over the edge, even a little bit, get yourself to the edge, stand right on the edge, and then, when the enemy is in range of Aether, either in front or above you, use it. If you did it right, the sword will catch the enemy, beat them up, and then spike them with the downslash. If you placed it right, you'll carry the enemy over the edge with you, but you will catch the edge behind you, while the enemy plummets to their doom in a non-meteor-cancellable fall. It usually kills instantly at damages over 30%, but, if the enemy doesn't die, you're already on the edge to edgehog. If the enemy is someone with stupidly high recovery like Sonic or Pit, you can just follow it up with a non-punishable aerial down by dropping off the edge, immediately jumping, and then using aerial down. Aether goes just high enough to get you back on.

That's what I was going to post. I'm pretty sure I discovered this first... but whatever. At least I mention a follow-up to that in case it doesn't kill them.

FTV

Smash Rookie
Don't know if this is new at all but today I realized that eruption is great when used coming down on top of your opponent. I couldn't ever hit with it until I started using it above people.

Hinote

Smash Cadet
Eruption is useful only when used almost instantly. Charging up all the way in the sky can easily be punished. But still, eruption does help defend against aerial pursuit, although using it constantly in the air though can get pretty predictable.

njr1489

Smash Rookie
Now, I've been using Ike for almost a month and a half now, and I think I have some good experience to share. By now we should all know that the new air-dodging mechanics are very good for defense, and tend to leave Ike very open to punishment. However, Aether is a persistent projectile, so it has a rather negative effect on anyone air-dodge approaching.

While this alone is quite useful, Aether has another use for edgeguarding that I feel has been overlooked. I call this technique the Aether-Spike, and I'm sure you'll see why in a moment.

When someone is out over the edge, even a little bit, get yourself to the edge, stand right on the edge, and then, when the enemy is in range of Aether, either in front or above you, use it. If you did it right, the sword will catch the enemy, beat them up, and then spike them with the downslash. If you placed it right, you'll carry the enemy over the edge with you, but you will catch the edge behind you, while the enemy plummets to their doom in a non-meteor-cancellable fall. It usually kills instantly at damages over 30%, but, if the enemy doesn't die, you're already on the edge to edgehog. If the enemy is someone with stupidly high recovery like Sonic or Pit, you can just follow it up with a non-punishable aerial down by dropping off the edge, immediately jumping, and then using aerial down. Aether goes just high enough to get you back on.

That's what I was going to post. I'm pretty sure I discovered this first... but whatever. At least I mention a follow-up to that in case it doesn't kill them.
I've been aether spiking for the past couple of days, its very useful against those with obvious recoveries. It would be great to know a good lead in for the spike. Interesting enough, i've once did 2 aether's in a row which lead to a kill. The first one bounced them on off the platform while the second one spiked.

scyther250

Smash Cadet
Well, to set up for an Aetherspike, anything that puts them just over the edge is good. I usually put them there with some RAR, or a nair -> jab-cancel -> Aether. If they're already at the edge, just throw them, or AAA, or something without too much knockback.

D

Deleted member

- teh sward:
Ragnell is the heirloom of the empire Begnion, who's first apostle Altina, wielded along with Alondite, to defeat the dark god with the help of the Black Dragon King and Soan. Ragnell was created by the goddess Ashera and also blessed by her for the purpose of defeating the dark god, after the god was defeated and the passing of Altina the apostle, somewhere along the line the Black Knight wield both Ragnell and Alondite. After the Black Knight tossed the Ragnell to griel, who refused to take it, left it in the forest were the duel took place. Ike then came back to take Ragnell, for it and Alondite was the only way to fight the Black Knight in his blessed Armour.
Ragnell is a black hilted, gold sword with the ability to attack long range foes.
the black knight, zelgius, clearly had free reign to both alondite and ragnell through sephiran.

ike has a few reliable combos in nair/bair to jab. both also work to uptilt, but it can be escaped and is not a true combo. bair to grab also works if you jump up from the ledge with it. aether from the stage to the edge allows you to drop and reverse aether to the edge again, effectively allowing you to do aether to aether combo, which is a double meteor spike. downthrow into aether into aether also works, but DI on the downthrow makes it easy to escape the spike hit on the way down, defeating the purpose, so it might be better out of shield at the edge. don't ignore jab grab.

Trizzy

Smash Cadet
job well done or not, it still does not compare to the work of others
this is not america, please don't push your affirmative action policy here
people that can't do it do not get bonuses, roith included

anyway, i'm going to make good on my previous post
f you can't see the huge difference in quality between this guide and kirk's guide, not only in terms of content but also organization and presentation, i have no more to say to you
I agree. They have a lot of similar content, but the orginization and presentation of Kirk's guide make it much easier to read. I say either sticky both of them, get together with Kirk and make a collaborative guide, or maybe make a poll thread for a week and have the winning guide stickied.

Or disregard and keep on keepin' on... that's an option too.

ShinobiSli

Smash Apprentice
I've been aether spiking for the past couple of days, its very useful against those with obvious recoveries. It would be great to know a good lead in for the spike. Interesting enough, i've once did 2 aether's in a row which lead to a kill. The first one bounced them on off the platform while the second one spiked.
How often has this been tested? Cause I can totally see the victim accidentally or intentionally grabbing the ledge on their way down and ironically edge-hogging ike.

ShinobiSli

Smash Apprentice
Lately, I've been using Aether as a follow up to an opponet returning from an upward attack. Like, an Usmash that doesn't kill. On their way down, they go to line up and ariel, and a quick aether right at 'em does a great job of bringing them doen into attack range again ANd stopping their attack.

ragingbeast854

Smash Rookie
*adds to favorites list* thanks dude. Now I have/am able to come up with a lot more strategies with Ike than I ever have/had! This seriously helped a lot.

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master
well after i saw this guide i worked on my edge gaurding and wow i cant belive how much it helped. but i noticed that the c stick also makes u quick drop depending on when u press it.

3xSwords

Smash Lord
@burrito
actually i sometimes had the same problem
where when I was descending from the highest point in my jump, and I did a d-air w/ the c-stick
I would fast fall and do the d-air
pissed me off but on a different controller I didn't fastfall so I think your controller might be broken
Also you can just do a d-air with the control stick and A and you won't fastfall
@NoVaLombardia
no the d-tilt doesn't have SAF
It just appeared to have them
There is a thread about Ike's SAF check that out for further explanation

Tnt726

Smash Cadet
in your section

APPROACHING WITH IKE

some of the names are really really confusing.. Nair bair? huh?

care to put it into regular terms please, or enlighten be? im asuming bair is back air, but whats Nair? etc

Duker

Smash Journeyman
in your section

APPROACHING WITH IKE

some of the names are really really confusing.. Nair bair? huh?

care to put it into regular terms please, or enlighten be? im asuming bair is back air, but whats Nair? etc

They ARE regular terms, everyone here uses them. Nair=Neutral air und so weiter.

RoyIke

Smash Rookie
Cool guide

I looked at this guide to learn more about ike i figured out most of the information in your guide for myself but it was cool to get a look at some1's thoughts on how to use moves. Like i learned about the "grand viper" on my on (online against friends is great for that XD. i want to say that as far as getting the flow for ike you have to feel the pre- and post- lag in Ike's moves first in order to kno how to deal with them. thats kinda how you discover the grand viper on your own. you realize that its important with ike to close the distance and like you said keep the pressure on them. i just appreciate the technique and i say its one of the best. However like you said you need to keep it fresh with quick draw in general and get creative with it. its easy to have it become predictable to your opponents. Like i said i like your guide and its like everything i've wanted to say and some1 said great job XD (sounds so sappy but its the truth gotta love the truth XD).

Kishiro Diablo

Smash Rookie
Yea just a quick little question, I have some questions on what some things are called. Like what the "Grand Viper" is. I mean, it keeps talking about what you can follow it up with but never what it actually is.

3xSwords

Smash Lord
Grand Viper is actually a QD and u-tilt right in from of the opponent. I think ppl are getting Grand Viper and just regular QD approach confused, b/c they are basically the same thing.

3xSwords

Smash Lord
^yeah I guess not. You know it seems the Ike boards in general are slower. Even Versatile's thread is getting slower.

Top Bottom