• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Big Ike Guide By B4BC edit: CLEANED UP AGAIN A LITTLE

dragon574444

Smash Rookie
It is odd and hard to believe, but trust me. I think that maby hitting R could "cancel" the move?
I think more testing should be done by someone who has the game to clarify. Then we can say whether it is something Ike could use to his advantage, disadvantage, or if it was just a fluke.

Kirk

Smash Champion
It is odd and hard to believe, but trust me. I think that maby hitting R could "cancel" the move?
I think more testing should be done by someone who has the game to clarify. Then we can say whether it is something Ike could use to his advantage, disadvantage, or if it was just a fluke.
Trust me on this. There is NO way to cancel Quick Draw. I've tried this myself long ago...I wish there was a way.

Zukaza

Smash Apprentice
The first time i played Brawl i used Ike. I gotta say, i fell in love with the character. Despite the fact that hes slow, a good player can manage to pull out attacks quickly and efficiently without leaving openings. Ike is the best :)

BearsAreScary

Smash Journeyman
It is my personal belief that people who write full GUIDES on how to play a character should have, at the very least, PLAYED that character!
It's like giving professional cooking tips when all you've ever done is look at recipes.

And yea, I guess it's all fun and games or whatever, but the reason people write guides is to help people get better with whatever. How can your guide help people get better when you've never played? If a potential student of yours picked up a controller and played Ike one time, he will have already surpassed your skills.

Kirk's guide is hands-down the best. Not only does he give comprehensive analysis to all of Ike's game (excluding his history, since this is Smash Bros, not Fire Emblem), as well as videos and strategies, all written in ENGLISH (not as easy as you might think), but when people ask him questions (questions that, mind you, he has usually already answered about 50 times either in his first post or somewhere else), he politely and in a literate manner answers them, and rather quickly.

He has already proven (maybe to me more than others) that he is a good Ike player (taking 5/17 matches off Azen is no easy feat), but he's clearly the best qualified person for this writing guides business.

I know at least half of you don't care and will likely flame me after not even reading this, but just thought I'd throw it in. Keep it up, Kirk.

Zukaza

Smash Apprentice
It is my personal belief that people who write full GUIDES on how to play a character should have, at the very least, PLAYED that character!
It's like giving professional cooking tips when all you've ever done is look at recipes.

And yea, I guess it's all fun and games or whatever, but the reason people write guides is to help people get better with whatever. How can your guide help people get better when you've never played? If a potential student of yours picked up a controller and played Ike one time, he will have already surpassed your skills.

Kirk's guide is hands-down the best. Not only does he give comprehensive analysis to all of Ike's game (excluding his history, since this is Smash Bros, not Fire Emblem), as well as videos and strategies, all written in ENGLISH (not as easy as you might think), but when people ask him questions (questions that, mind you, he has usually already answered about 50 times either in his first post or somewhere else), he politely and in a literate manner answers them, and rather quickly.

He has already proven (maybe to me more than others) that he is a good Ike player (taking 5/17 matches off Azen is no easy feat), but he's clearly the best qualified person for this writing guides business.

I know at least half of you don't care and will likely flame me after not even reading this, but just thought I'd throw it in. Keep it up, Kirk.
Sorry to quote something so large. I do agree with you Bearsarescary (by the way, is there something else i can call you that isnt that long?). Experience is key to getting better. Also playing while actualy trying to get better is important. If your playing for the hell of it then no skill will ever come from it.

ama(m/t)

Smash Lord
wow this ike forum is full of ******* new to the internet
did you just spend your whole day watching three-year-old orly gifs?

/~Dogma~\

Smash Lord
ooh nice comeback that was on topic. Yes because i spend my time watching three year old oryl gifs.

nah i just don't care you and a few others say this is a bad guide, others say this is great and a big help. So it really does'nt matter what you or others think about this guide. This guide does' even pertain to you or others that know alot about ike. As i stated before this guide is for introducing new SWF members or just guests to ike. And in 15 days i'll remake this guide with a computer.

Anything else you would like to say just refer to my previous posts and im sure you will get your answer.

now i have a computer and now i shall go back to watching three year old orly gifs. Now if you will excuse me i have some work to do.

Roith

ama(m/t)

Smash Lord
nah i just don't care you and a few others say this is a bad guide, others say this is great and a big help. So it really does'nt matter what you or others think about this guide. This guide does' even pertain to you or others that know alot about ike.
lol so do you or do you not care what others say
if it doesn't matter what i or other people think about this guide, why would it matter that people like it
people that don't know a lot about ike will be immediately turned off by this guide
even hellbeing wouldn't want that
lo;l

Zukaza

Smash Apprentice
I dont see why theres an arguement over an Ike guide, why cant we argue over some thing reasonable like why we are still fighting a war in Iraq? Or we could continue bashing each other over a nice guide.

comboking

Smash Master
ooh nice comeback that was on topic. Yes because i spend my time watching three year old oryl gifs.

nah i just don't care you and a few others say this is a bad guide, others say this is great and a big help. So it really does'nt matter what you or others think about this guide. This guide does' even pertain to you or others that know alot about ike. As i stated before this guide is for introducing new SWF members or just guests to ike. And in 15 days i'll remake this guide with a computer.

Anything else you would like to say just refer to my previous posts and im sure you will get your answer.

now i have a computer and now i shall go back to watching three year old orly gifs. Now if you will excuse me i have some work to do.

Roith
O RLY they saw my guide is bad but it ight IMO:psycho:

PwnageLlama

Smash Cadet

I agree with this as well, although it may be said a little too forcefully.

Hostility

Smash Ace
I dont see why theres an arguement over an Ike guide, why cant we argue over some thing reasonable like why we are still fighting a war in Iraq? Or we could continue bashing each other over a nice guide.
The big argument is over whether roith should have even written the guide since he hasn't even played the game yet. That's a pretty legitimate point as far as I'm concerned.

ama(m/t)

Smash Lord
the argument imo is not vs roith but vs moderators
i don't care if you write a guide that sucks
but don't subject people new to ike boards to this brand of failure

Melaf

Smash Journeyman
Give him a chance **** almost no one have the ****ing game now so shut up guys be more critic when brawl will come out plz...because everyone making critics and I know they didnt played a single game of brawl yet and these people are awsomely nubs in their heads :0

ama(m/t)

Smash Lord
i'd tolerate this guide if there weren't TWO superior guides written by people who actually have the game
soz

The Mediator

Smash Journeyman
... Ama, so far, your only tangible argument against this guide is that it has bad grammar. You also enjoy pointing out that Roith doesn't have the game, and therefore doesn't have the right to make a guide.

First of all, who cares if it has bad grammar? If anything, I think Roith should be commended for doing this without his computer. It's most definitely legible, everyone can attest to that. Anyways, this is the INTERNET. Most people on the INTERNET would refer to it as the INTERNETZ, therefore showing that Roith is merely using the grammar of his forum-going peers.
Also, I wasn't sure what "soz" meant, so I looked it up on Urbandictionary, and they said this:

"Nonsensical internet slang term for 'sorry', used by illiterate morons who for some reason substitute a 'z' for 'rry', the latter of which would take an entire quarter of a second to type out." http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=soz
I found that interesting...

Secondly, so what if Roith doesn't have the game? His guide is entirely on par with with the others. He has the same EXACT information as the others. Kirk's most definitely has the video demonstrations of everybody, which is why Roith has linked Kirk's thread. Elliot's guide... well, while I love Elliot's guide, I most definitely do not think that it is a comprehensive guide for improving one's game with Ike.

Please, ama, if you don't have anything good to say, or any constructive criticism whatsoever, please stick to writing Haikus.

ama(m/t)

Smash Lord
just because this is written on a wii does not give it any special qualities
no one gives a paper written by hand a higher grade than the exact same paper typed and printed, and in fact it would probably receive an inferior grade if it were any harder to read than the typed one
just because you worked harder to produce the same quality(or in this case, inferior quality) of work does not mean you get any special recognition

i don't give his guide any extra consideration for being written on the wii

roith's compilation of data is just work taken from everyone else and then rewritten poorly
why would you publish something like that
on top of it all, it gets stickied and people have to read it, while useful ones like kirk's and zaladriels get lost in the sea of "ike @ gamestop" topics

i wouldn't be calling me illiterate if the only difference you perceive between this and kirk's guide is kirk's videos

entirely on par? don't make me laugh
if you can't see the huge difference in quality between this guide and kirk's guide, not only in terms of content but also organization and presentation, i have no more to say to you

The Mediator

Smash Journeyman
Mmmk...
In your "handwritten" example, you fail to acknowledge that the other student didn't have access to a computer. The same goes for Roith. And, if one doesn't have the same resources as another, and yet still writes something comprehensive and able to be appreciated, then I say job well done. Also, this is not a classroom... once again, may I point out that this is an internet forum. People don't CARE about grammar, and it is extremely hypocritical of you to belittle this guide for that.

You say that Roith's guide is plagiarized off of the guides of others... this guide was one of the first ones compiled. And, not only that, but this isn't about posting what information YOU have found about Ike--it's about posting UNIVERSAL information about Ike, therefore giving the readers a better idea of how to play Ike. It's not like Kirk has copyright laws for how much damage Ike's Ftilt does.

And if you think that Kirk's and Zareidriel's guides are slowly being buried underneath nonsensical topics about Ike, then you are very wrong. Kirk and Zar are two very respected individuals within the Ike community, and are admired for their work. Thusly, their guides are far from being shunted into a dark corner.

As for you being an illiterate moron... I'm not the one calling you that, UrbanDictionary is. And, if you had gone to the URL that I posted along with the quote, you would have noticed that not only does UrbanDictionary think that you are an illiterate moron, but 547 other people think so, as well.

Content-wise, this guide is more universal. As I pointed out earlier, that's how a guide SHOULD be. It provides links to other guides for a greater understanding of Ike play, it has everything categorized well... Just because its sections aren't colored as prettily as Kirk's or written in as large a font doesn't mean that its badly organized. As for presentation, I've already addressed this: in an internet forum, no one really cares.
This guide has brought a better understanding of Ike to an enormous majority of the Ike-board-goers, and therefore is very well understood BY EVERYONE.

Melaf

Smash Journeyman
ama(m/t) why dont you make a guide and get the **** outta here heh? Stop complaining this guide is cool an its a good way to understand the basic for ike.But seriously you hould stop right now.Maybe you should ask for a Poll for who has the best guide so youll have the opinion of everybody Not ONLY YOURS.

@Raiko Jc cancel mean Jump cancel,cancel ....I dont undrstand why there is 2 cancel in row....anyway its like in melee with this you was able to do some **** with grab,cancel lag from attack like teh shine and was able to run into a up smash without stoping(you can do that in brawl too)But I think in brawl you can do other thing with that.

ama(m/t)

Smash Lord
job well done or not, it still does not compare to the work of others
this is not america, please don't push your affirmative action policy here
people that can't do it do not get bonuses, roith included

anyway, i'm going to make good on my previous post
f you can't see the huge difference in quality between this guide and kirk's guide, not only in terms of content but also organization and presentation, i have no more to say to you

Raiko

Smash Rookie
Hmm and how do you Meteour cancel in Brawl like described in this thread?

Yup

Smash Rookie
Can you R cancel ikes over b like you can with the fox/falco illusion? That would be epic for mindgames and the grand viper.

2Grams

Smash Rookie
I've seen Ike SAF another Ike's meteor smash.

Does anyone know if the back side of his up smash can edge guard effectively? It looks like it can hit a bit lower then the platform in some stages.

sLibs

Smash Cadet
I think it's worth mentioning a "Jumping Grand Viper" as the same amount of charge from a grounded GV does send you a considerable amount further than that of the grounded version. This is easily done by short hopping F +b, i realised this quite a while back but thought that it had already been brought up (I havent thoroughly searched through the forums, sorry if it is doubling info). Anyway check it out for yourself, i know some might critisize this technique but its the difference between getting your Grand Viper > 3x Jab in, to hitting air and leaving yourself open, any feedback would be nice ^^

Also posting my vids soon, not saying im good but I havent seen anything i've yet to be wowed with on any of the vids, anyway i'll post em up soon when i get the chance to record some n you guys can rate for yourself. Peace

Top Bottom