• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Big Guy with the Terrifying Mask- No not Jason Vorhees, Rick Taylor for Ultimate

Mr. Stevenson

Smash Ace
RICK TAYLOR SPLATTERS ALL OVER THE FIGHT!!!

Who is this guy anyway??

Rick Taylor is the main protagonist in the grisly horror series called Splatterhouse, created by Bandai Namco.
Once upon a time there was a couple, who decided to take refuge from a strong storm in a not so friendly looking mansion that's situated in the woods. And it so happens that the not so friendly looking mansion was completely haunted by terrifyingly grotesque monsters (shocking, I know), that suddenly attack Rick and take Jennifer, his wife, as hostage. Being Left for dead, Rick has no other choice, but to wear the strange looking mask that he finds right beside him, telling him that the only to rescue his wife was to put him on. And so the mask gave Rick brutal streight and huge muscles so that he could kill every single monster he finds in his way (no matter how big or grotesque) and save her beloved Jennifer.

He’s from an irrelevant and dead franchise.
Yes that’s true, but he wouldn’t really be The only one. While the word “irrelevant” can be kind of subjective, reps from dead franchises are nothing new to the series, just look at Ness and Lucas, for example. Splatterhouse might not have gotten the best sales and popularity, but nevertheless, just like Earthbound, it left a cult following. Now you might be thinking "only Nintendo characters get that kind of treatment, pal". Well what about Castlevania? It is certainly a franchise that has had alot of history with Nintendo and fits perfectly in Smash (in my opinion). But just like Splatterhouse, Castlevania is kind of a dead franchise that didn't get alot of success with its last few games, and is best known for his classic and popular titles.
It's worth mentioning that the original Splatterhouse was included in the recent Namco Museum videogame, which might make him a little more memorable and recognizeable to younger players out there. And Namco really didn't have any problem in adding it to the collection, despite being the only game that warranted a T-rating (making it the first T-rated Namco Museum game), so I guess this is proof that the company still remembers and cares about this IP.
And seeing that Bandai Namco were part of Smash Ultimate's development team, I'm pretty sure there will be another Namco rep, other than Pacman.

Has the series even got that much of a history with Nintendo?

So far, Splatterhouse was on the Wii virtual console, and one of its titles was exclusive to the Famicom too. This might not be much, but it seems that nowadays, it doesn't really matter that much if a series needs to have a big or average history with Nintendo anymore. At the very least, he's a japanese character, so that might also help his chances.

With characters like Dig Dug or Heihachi on the way of being the second Namco rep, why would Rick Taylor be the chosen one?

Sakurai confirmed that he couldn't come up with a moveset for Heihachi back in Smash 4 (of course he could have changed his mind now), and while Dig Dug is certainly a more deserving and fitting rep for Namco and Arcade games too, what else could he do rather than inflate his opponets until they blow up (and even that is kind of hard to imagine)? Rick Taylor is distinctive (in a good way) and has alot of potential for a unique moveset, but I'll cover that up later.

Jippers, the content of his games is extremely violent and gory, no way would Nintendo find him fitting.

Okay, I'm pretty sure that all of you know that M-rated characters are nothing new to the Smash Brothers series.
Splatterhouse might be essentially well known for its disturbing and grotesque nature, but its over the top violence is always meant to be seen as comical, and its colorful and cartoony graphics make it all seem rather unrealistic and silly. In the end, it's all meant to be a huge parody of traditional horror movies.
Strangely enough, it's also worth mentioning that one of its games seemed to have a more kid-friendly and cartoony version of the franchise (kind of like Kid Dracula from Castlevania)
but it was exclusive to the Famicom system.

What kind of abilities does he have, then?
Rick Taylor has alot of tools at his disposal, raging from a metal pipe or a harpoon to a shotgun or a chainsaw, of course you might be wondering aren't those weapons a little bit too brutal for Smash, well kind of, but still, it seems Sakurai has been taking baby steps in including more violent tools. Back in Brawl, Snake had a lot of explosives weaponary, recently the character Joker got a freaking gun (that really looks realistic, if you ask me), so it's only a matter of time before we get something like a shotgun or a chainsaw, the only other characters I can see getting this kind of weapons are Conker and Doomguy.

He has also the ability to turn into a more hulkish version of himself, maybe that could be his final smash or simply a move that requires a limit break, much like Joker's Persona move (or whatever that is).

So what are your thoughts on Rick Taylor, would you be intrested in having him as a fighter or not at all?

List of Supporters:
Mr. Stevenson Mr. Stevenson
Oddball Oddball
OnyanRings OnyanRings
tonygameman tonygameman
Torgo the Bear Torgo the Bear
ninjahmos ninjahmos
IzukuXYang4Life IzukuXYang4Life

Last edited:

Oddball

Smash Lord
Rick would be an interesting choice for Smash. I can see the character working fine, but I can't think of a good way to do a stage for him due to the massive amounts of background gore the games usually had.

If he is included I'd much rather they go back to the classic look. I wasn't a big fan of Hulked out Rick from the latest game. I'd much rather they go back to something more along the lines of the classic look.

Something like this

or this

Mr. Stevenson

Smash Ace
Rick would be an interesting choice for Smash. I can see the character working fine, but I can't think of a good way to do a stage for him due to the massive amounts of background gore the games usually had.

If he is included I'd much rather they go back to the classic look. I wasn't a big fan of Hulked out Rick from the latest game. I'd much rather they go back to something more along the lines of the classic look.

Something like this

or this
Ah, our first supporter I see.

Yes, I agree Rick Taylor would definitely be a unique addition to the roster, and his attacks could definitely work in Smash.
But yeah, you're right, Almost every level of Splatterhouse has blood and decomposed corpses lying around, but there are still a few memorable "E-rated levels" that are appropriate enough for Smash, like the Forest (as long as they don't include those grotesque creatures).

My very big concern now is, considering that most of the enemy characters are disgusting nightmares, what spirits would the series have?

I really can't imagine having these guys as spirits, for example:

I mean, maybe (just maybe), it won't be too bad if they just add the pixelated sprites of at least some of them (they're not that much worse than Bayonetta's creatures).

And yes definitely, his classic cartoony design fits the most in Smash.

Last edited:

OnyanRings

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4662-0014-5533
Count me in ! We don't have enough "horror themed" characters in smash. (I count Simon & Richter since they're from spooky games.)

Mr. Stevenson

Smash Ace
So we’re bringing this thread back, eh? Ok better late than never.

Anyway, I always thought it was incredibly weird how Rick Taylor didn’t even make it as a minor cameo in Pac-Man’s up taunt. He’s literally the only 80’s Namco Arcade icon to get 0 representation.
07794778-F253-4285-8BE1-0C56AAA5538D.jpeg

and we all know damn well Smash isn’t shy of representing M-rated game series, so I can’t see what gives.

Last edited:

Oddball

Smash Lord
I looking for some reference pictures to do some Rick alternate color scheme and found this instead. It's much better than anything I could come up with.

splatter rick.png

The original image had one more costume where he was naked and headless, but I imagine posting something like that might get me in just a touch of trouble here.

ninjahmos

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8579-4123-9016
Count me in! I think we could use more horror video game characters in Smash. Especially Resident Evil and Silent Hill. Anyway, they should use a stage from Splatterhouse with music from the series. I wonder if they’d get Josh Keaton as Rick Taylor, and Jim Cummings as the Terror Mask?

Mr. Stevenson

Smash Ace
To be honest I never really saw Splatterhouse as a legit horror series mainly cuz it’s way more the parody type rather than the scary type.

I looking for some reference pictures to do some Rick alternate color scheme and found this instead. It's much better than anything I could come up with.

View attachment 313344

The original image had one more costume where he was naked and headless, but I imagine posting something like that might get me in just a touch of trouble here.
I know it’ll never happen but I’d so main that Freddy Krueger alt.

Now that I think about it, it was kind of a missed opportunity not to have an alt based on NES Jason.
1621824756582.jpeg

But nevertheless the guy did a pretty cool job, that I can’t deny.

Last edited:

IzukuXYang4Life

Banned via Warnings
Count me in as a supporter.

I would have rather seen Rick Taylor in the 1st Fighter Pass as the M rated rep as opposed to some generic emo edgelord (Joker) who's not iconic and had no reason to be in the game at all (In my opinion).

Last edited:

tonygameman

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-3706-2453-6800
Btw anybody else a bit disappointed that we weren’t given a Splatterhouse themed stage in Pac-Man 99?

View attachment 316238

Guess it’s too good of a concept to be an actual reality, oh well...
You did a great job with this mock-up!

While Mutant Rick from Splatterhouse 3 didn't appear in the original arcade game, I would see Terror Mask as a Power Pellet with Rick transforming into that form when picking it up, like how Momo changes into her superhero form in a Wonder Momo theme/skin. Also, weapons would replace fruits as well.

Edit: Well, looks like we're getting more skins/themes for Pac-Man 99 in the future: https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2...four_million_downloads_new_content_on_the_way

Last edited:

tonygameman

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-3706-2453-6800
Bandai-Namco finally gave us a free Splatterhouse theme on Pac-Man 99! Well, sort of, as it's actually based on the Famicom-exclusive cartoony spin-off, "Splatterhouse: Wanpaku Graffiti". And since Rick's emblem/icon is named as "Wanpaku Rick", whoever knows if we're also getting an arcade one?

Last edited:

Mr. Stevenson

Smash Ace
Bandai-Namco finally gave us a free Splatterhouse theme on Pac-Man 99! Well, sort of, as it's actually based on the Famicom-exclusive cartoony spin-off, "Splatterhouse: Wanpaku Graffiti". And since Rick's emblem/icon is named as "Wanpaku Rick", who knows if we're also getting an arcade one?

Wow! Now that’s something.
Of course I should’ve expected them to go with the kid friendly version of Splatterhouse for this, but hey any love to the series is much appreciated, specially when it’s even free.

Top Bottom