• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Bell Tolls for Prince Sable as an Assist Trophy in SSB4! (Now with Footage of Sable!)

How much do you support Prince Sable?

• 100%!

Votes: 42 24.4%
  • Just a little!

Votes: 42 24.4%
  • Who's Prince of Sable?

Votes: 62 36.0%
  • Neutral..

Votes: 26 15.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Geno Boost

Smash Master
To play devil's advocate, Samus and Mario were shown before the Screw Attack and Fire Flower. The Lip's Stick is more comparable to...if the Master Sword was shown as an item before Link was confirmed. A pretty-much outright disconfirmation. Not to mention Kirby still has the Garbage Block...

But hey, Mach Rider, Muddy Mole, Bubbles and Duck Hunt Dog are still around, right?
and haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarry from teleroboxer the only main charcter and a villan at same time

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
More cool things about Sable's reveal:
This makes for a good chance of his game coming to america on Virtual console, like Sin and Punishment did.
We finally have an official translation of the game title! "For the frogs the bells toll" is no more!

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Considering how the character hasn't had a cameo outside of a Brawl sticker in more than 20 years, you have to admit that this is a really nice outcome. I'm sorry for those that wanted him but considering how far back in the closet he was obscurity wise, this is a great tribute.

Last edited:

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
IconPrince Sable (2).png

Found this on the roster maker thread.

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
More cool things about Sable's reveal:
This makes for a good chance of his game coming to america on Virtual console, like Sin and Punishment did.
We finally have an official translation of the game title! "For the frogs the bells toll" is no more!
I'll be very ecstatic if it actually happens! But I think it's probably as unlikely as getting Mother 3 to come to America.

D

Deleted member

My condolences to the Prince Sable supports. Still, an Assist Trophy is better than nothing! I can't wait to see what he will do!

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
I'll be very ecstatic if it actually happens! But I think it's probably as unlikely as getting Mother 3 to come to America.
So not very unlikely at all!:awesome:
Seriously, the demand was acknowledged at E3.
A localization is imminent.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
The localization demand for this game is not as big as Mother 3 though.
At this point I'm just eager what Nintendo does to the franchise after this AT reveal.

Last edited:

TheRealHeroOfWinds

Smash Ace
I had a huge weird feeling that Sakurai was going to post a pic of the day about something Kaeru no Tame ni wa Naru related, and BAM! it looks like I was right. At first I was pretty bummed about it, but then I realized that this gives him a good shot at being the next revived Mac character (He still has Takamaru to deal with, that's his biggest competitor for the next installment). I didn't get to see a Wii U HD model though, that was the only bum for me in this pic of the day. But it is at least great Sakurai posted this right after his birthday, it's like he wanted to show his all-time favorite unknown Nintendo character to celebrate his cake.

And the other great thing about it is that I get to here some thoughts about me in video discussions like Gamexplain (Although I won't expect much thought into it) and the fact we will get a strong chance of his seeing "The Prince's Adventure" and maybe the "Credits Roll" too in the music department! Hopefully after this pic of the day, he actually gets more exposure to Nintendo and the people who saw this picture and was curious about the game, I really don't want him to go the low direction where he just only appears in eShop games or low-success games like Chibi Robo, Starfy, Dark Dawn, Star Successor, etc.

I must say Sakurai, thank you for this pic of the day, realistically this was probably the best bet for Sable, I have stayed committed to him and put him in my prediction rosters since I first discovered him June 6th of 2013, but unfortunately I have to let go of my all time favorite Gameboy character and bid him farewell.

R.I.P. The Prince of the Sable Kingdom.
Look on the bright side we have a stage for him.

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
An AT position is the second best outcome a character can hope to get, and for a very obscure Japanese release-only guy like Sable, I'd say he did pretty well.

But regardless, my condolences to @ BluePikmin11 BluePikmin11 and co. May the bell toll better for your prince next time around.

Laniv

Smash Champion
Dang, man...

Please, let him become the new Little Mac...

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Many people have stated an issue of Sable as a character in the future games because he 'transforms,' but I want to point out that I cannot see a correlation.
The 'transformation' aspect characters Sakurai referred to are MULTI characters, which is why the Pokemon Trainer falls into this category, as he certainly does not transform by the technical meaning of the word. Sable would likely turn into a snake for an attack, and turn back into a person, turn into a snake for an attack, turn back.

I have not played his game, so I would not speak officially on it; but I do not think his character would be based on two full separate characters as just a generic Snake and Frog... I think his one single move set would be based on his means of fighting whilst using transformation based attacks.

Sorry for your loss Sable Supporters, I share your pain (after losing Takamaru last week)
but take this as a small victory, the frog prince will now have far more visibility than before and could find new fans because of it, in fact, after seeing the pics of him as an AT I now am interested in playing his game :)
it's getting scary how fast characters are getting deconfirmed now, feels like anyone could be next D:
I honestly believe we will get another Retro disconfirmatoin next Monday (Mach Rider?).
And then a dual reveal the monday after (Hoping for Lip and DHD!)

Last edited:

Vann Accessible

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2208-6640-6360
I'm surprised this character had a following here at all, considering his game was Japanese only and released on GameBoy over 20 years ago.

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
My apologies to all the Prince Sable fans, most notably Blue. At least he gets some recognition.

GM_3826

Smash Journeyman
I'm surprised this character had a following here at all, considering his game was Japanese only and released on GameBoy over 20 years ago.
It's because of his appearance in Link's Awakening. Everyone wants to play his game, and they can't.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
That's one of the great things about the Smash fan base and Smash Bros in general. It's a celebration of Nintendo's history so it brings together fans of every series, no matter how obscure. For characters like Prince Sable and Takamaru, fanbases build around them largely because of their future potential, not because a lot of people outside Japan have played their games. This is why people got excited for Pit before Brawl was announced. When people saw "Will Pit ever fight again" in Pit's trophy in Melee, people began to brain storm what it would be like if Pit made a comeback. People threw around all sorts of ideas for character redesigns and new games and people got excited about the future potential of not only the character but Kid Icarus as a whole. This is why I feel people have a tendency to get really attached to older, obscure characters.

There's also the fact that people like that Smash Bros opens the door for new gaming experiences and revivals. Melee did this for Fire Emblem, Animal Crossing, and Custom Robo while Brawl did it for Kid Icarus, Punch Out, Starfy, among a number of others. For me personally, Smash Bros got me into Mother, Fire Emblem, F-Zero, and even the Legend of Zelda, series that I probably never would have touched if it weren't for the fighters and ATs that show up in the games. One of the great things about being a Nintendo fan is that there are so many choices and genres covered in Nintendo's history and a lot of times coming across new franchises is a lot like stumbling on something cool at a flea market or antique mall. When people come across these seemingly old and forgotten franchises, they may find themselves really enjoying the games and naturally wanting more, only to find that new installments never came. It's like discovering a new show on Netflix and finding the series ended on a cliff hanger or only after a single season.

The early NES and Gameboy games were largely simplistic and, obviously, games have become a lot more complex since the late 80's and early 90's. Think about the leaps in technology and game play ideas from Super Mario Bros to Super Mario Galaxy or Metroid to Metroid Prime. Pretty big changes, right? As a Takamaru fan since the pre-Brawl days, these prospects excite me. What if Nintendo gave the Mysterious Murasame Castle or For Whom the Frog Bell Tolls the Kid Icarus: Uprising treatment with fully fleshed out characters and worlds? Given how simple these games are, there a million different directions they can go with these worlds and characters and their fans have strong faith that Nintendo could do a proper reboot justice. This why you'll see people get enthusiastic about characters who are virtually unknown by most gamers, because they want others to see the potential that they see.

Last edited:

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
That's one of the great things about the Smash fan base and Smash Bros in general. It's a celebration of Nintendo's history so it brings together fans of every series, no matter how obscure. For characters like Prince Sable and Takamaru, fanbases build around them largely because of their future potential, not because a lot of people outside Japan have played their games. This is why people got excited for Pit before Brawl was announced. When people saw "Will Pit ever fight again" in Pit's trophy in Melee, people began to brain storm what it would be like if Pit made a comeback. People threw around all sorts of ideas for character redesigns and new games and people got excited about the future potential of not only the character but Kid Icarus as a whole. This is why I feel people have a tendency to get really attached to older, obscure characters.

There's also the fact that people like that Smash Bros opens the door for new gaming experiences and revivals. Melee did this for Fire Emblem, Animal Crossing, and Custom Robo while Brawl did it for Kid Icarus, Punch Out, Starfy, among a number of others. For me personally, Smash Bros got me into Mother, Fire Emblem, F-Zero, and even the Legend of Zelda, series that I probably never would have touched if it weren't for the fighters and ATs that show up in the games. One of the great things about being a Nintendo fan is that there are so many choices and genres covered in Nintendo's history and a lot of times coming across new franchises is a lot like stumbling on something cool at a flea market or antique mall. When people come across these seemingly old and forgotten franchises, they may find themselves really enjoying the games and naturally wanting more, only to find that new installments never came. It's like discovering a new show on Netflix and finding the series ended on a cliff hanger or only after a single season.

The early NES and Gameboy games were largely simplistic and, obviously, games have become a lot more complex since the late 80's and early 90's. Think about the leaps in technology and game play ideas from Super Mario Bros to Super Mario Galaxy or Metroid to Metroid Prime. Pretty big changes, right? As a Takamaru fan since the pre-Brawl days, these prospects excite me. What if Nintendo gave the Mysterious Murasame Castle or For Whom the Frog Bell Tolls the Kid Icarus: Uprising treatment with fully fleshed out characters and worlds? Given how simple these games are, there a million different directions they can go with these worlds and characters and their fans have strong faith that Nintendo could do a proper reboot justice. This why you'll see people get enthusiastic about characters who are virtually unknown by most gamers, because they want others to see the potential that they see.
Great summary. You really put what i was feeling into words.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Perhaps another thing I might note out is that even if Sable's still an AT from a Japan-only game, so is Mother 3. Yet so many people played that game through the english translation or some other fashion got to experience it (I guess watching let's plays and so on).

I remember clearing the game and doing a review of it to a finnish Nintendo-fansite called Leveli, where I also had put one of the pictures in the OP (personally requested ages ago from my sister's friend in Tumblr). Sadly it's been so long time ago since I went there (despite still SOME activity), and I left my whole concept of introducing obscure Nintendo-games to the bunker due some uninterest. I kinda regret it now.

However, I keep thinking that Sable being here and being celebrated by his following is quite a counting. I might even say it's enough of a noteworthy tribute to the fans, those in Japan and especially outside of it. Once again, cheers for Sable for making it. (I bet Richard must be grumbling because now him being in Link's Awakening has been trumped big-time)

Also one thing I hope they do (and now am testing my faith with Sakurai and his team to do it): if Sable would be to break from the Assist Trophy-dome, they should play the iconic 6-note jingle from the main theme of the game:

You know, the one that plays right before the main theme starts. Think Starfy's "jingle" when he appears (that one is based on a jingle when he confronts a boss in his games.)
I'd love to see this as it would give me an instant rush of joy through a "cue" that Sable has appeared on the stage and is ready to take on foes for me (or vice versa, hahah)

Last edited:

Ghirahilda

♥Smash Beauty♥
NNID
Marcelinho21
Well... at least this is a big step for Prince Sable. Look at Little Mac in Brawl, and look at him now...
Being a Assist Trophy is a HUGE step for a retro character...

Edit: It's possible to fall in love for a character after all this? I was reading the OP... @ BluePikmin11 BluePikmin11 did one of the greatest support threads in my opinion...
Wish I could learned more about him before this all happened...

Last edited:

Juliusaurus

Smash Ace
NNID
Juliusaurus
Was Punch-Out being revived on Wii have anything to do with Little Mac being an assist trophy in Brawl though? Because I think that's the main reason Little Mac is now playable, not because he was an assist. But who knows, it could've helped.

Last edited:

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
Was Punch-Out being revived on Wii have anything to do with Little Mac being an assist trophy in Brawl though? Because I think that's the main reason Little Mac is now playable, not because he was an assist. But who knows, it could've helped.
I think it did help considering Mac's final smash originated in the Wii game.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Punch Out for Wii came out in the Spring/Summer of 2009 while Brawl came out in the Winter/Spring/Summer of 2008. I feel that Little Mac's AT in Brawl sparked a large amount of interest in a revival that spurred the creation of Punch-Out Wii.

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
Just dropping by to repeat my thoughts on this whole issue:

RIP @ BluePikmin11 BluePikmin11 's hopes and dreams :(
Which by the way is my most liked comment ever so far, 60+ and ongoing. Just goes to show how dedicated you were to spreading the word about his possibilities, Blue. But as like you felt, being an assist trophy is the best treatment he's ever had so far, and he may get the Little Mac treatment. Hold on for his chances in Smash 5, guys.

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
Condolences offered to Sable fans. I agree with others, though, that such an obscure character is best suited to an AT role. I was actually extremely excited to see both he and Takamaru revealed to have this role recently, as I've grown tired of all of the Wii/3DS/Wii U content we've been shown since the game was first revealed. It's nice to have some nostalgic characters from longtime fans' childhoods show up.

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord
Welp, looks like Sable's role will be as a AT, however i feel quite happy he got recognition.
Now what i really hope is to see a release of For the Frog the Bell Tolls outside Japan, like they did with Takamaru's Castle.

Goodnight Sweet Prince.

Dreamking

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DreamWanderer92
3DS FC
0817-5074-8674
Switch FC
6827-7951-1977
So sorry Sable Prince fans. His game looks pretty cool. Here's to hoping his game gets released worldwide. Even better, remake the game.

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
Takamaru and now Prince Sable, not to mention Dillon and the others who have been banished to the assist zone. I guess Sakurai only wants to include generic avatars with no personalities in this game. There's a serious lack of retro love in smash4.

I swear if Isaac is also stuck as an assist trophy, I'm gonna lose all faith in Sakurai, or what little faith I have left.
At least these assist trophies will spread the word for these amazing games.

Last edited:

BravadoMan_13

Smash Lord
NNID
ClassicRocker
My condolences to you Prince Sable supporters. Gotta admit, I never heard about this character or game he represents. It's a big leap for him to be in a big game where he will get more exposure. It's great to see some recognition for a game that has been out for over 20 years and was only released in Japan.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
TBH... Villager, Miis and Robin(s) are all avatar-based characters. Novelty wore off bit quick. Also WFT, but she's her own thing (for now)

At the end I'd be confused if we'd keep getting more and more characters that didn't have much identity or following with people, or are more of "avatars"-based characters. I guess because Nintendo seems to really undermine the quirky characters they have created during these years and keep thinking the player should "always" be the focus when it comes to someone or something to drive the game.

This is why I would prefer playing as Nikki solely if using a Mii Fighter (preferably both Swords Fighter or Gunner, but I might put Mr.Mendell on the former). At least Robin wasn't named "MU/Avatar" for this game or I might have not really liked him due not having much foundation of identity. Villager and WFT get away but I don't really prefer to see anymore characters I can't identify with outside me being them or being faceless - at least too much.

But enough off-topic.

Last edited:

Sobreviviente

Smash Lord
Awesome reveal of today, im really happy :B
Now im curious about how he is going to be called, maybe "Sable's Prince"? :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom