• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Battle for Power! (Matchmaking & Video Thread)

jahkzheng

Smash Lord
Don't like my suggestions Sykka? I'm hurt~

Btw, speaking of this AT, one of us should upload a vid of it on YouTube. I'm usually stuck using my phone and haven't had a chance to actually see the AT on the Japanese site and it requires a sign in anyways. I know some of us have the Japanese game, it's just a matter of what tools you have to record.

I haven't looked into it, but with MK8 allow you to upload short replays directly to YouTube, I'd think Smash WiiU would allow the same and I don't know about the 3DS's capabilities.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Don't like my suggestions Sykka? I'm hurt~

Btw, speaking of this AT, one of us should upload a vid of it on YouTube. I'm usually stuck using my phone and haven't had a chance to actually see the AT on the Japanese site and it requires a sign in anyways. I know some of us have the Japanese game, it's just a matter of what tools you have to record.

I haven't looked into it, but with MK8 allow you to upload short replays directly to YouTube, I'd think Smash WiiU would allow the same and I don't know about the 3DS's capabilities.
Now that you mention it...I am perfectly capable of just outright ripping videos from NicoNico and uploading them.

Not that it's super ethical, but it could help visibility. Maybe I'll do it a bit later...

Last edited:

Daeyrat

Smash Journeyman
This ganondorf was awesome. Lots of techniques. Excellent positioning. Good mixups and combos. I hope it wasn't the opponent 's fault he won.

ThePsychoWolf

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3926-5863-0271
User name: @ ThePsychoWolf ThePsychoWolf
In-Game name: It's a Mii
3DS Friend Code: 3926-5863-0271
(Wii U) Nintendo Network ID: N/A
Country of Residence: US
Palette Colour: LeprechaunDorf

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Wow, Ganondorf divekick is hella legit. Finally a way to get past projectiles.

Daeyrat

Smash Journeyman
Wow, Ganondorf divekick is hella legit. Finally a way to get past projectiles.
Not only that, but also another tool to come back to the main platform as well... plus more combo opportunities if you leave the battlefield during the final frames.

His punch-only up+B can also hit the enemy while sweetspotting the ledge. Nice!

Hit-only F+B also collides with projectiles. Goes through the enemy on block, being safe against some stuff.

Shotgun Punch was a HUGE hitbox. Goes upwards too.

Custom moves giving more matchup power.

Last edited:

jahkzheng

Smash Lord
Those customs. Think I'm liking a setup like...

NB - 2
SB - 1
UB - 2
DB - 2

That Custom 3 side B has me intrigued but I think the down B's afford a fairly safe approach also, in a different way.

Interestingly, looks like I favor mostly the "2 customs". I really can't say no to the original Flame Choke though.

I can't wait to try out how this stuff feels. I could see myself favoring the grab up Bs instead even though the hit one looks great. And maybe I'll find the sword neutral too slow and less useful although I love the range. I'd like to see more about the 3rd custom down B too. For that matter, I still need to see more of his default specials.

Last edited:

Ray_Kalm

Smash Master
NNID
Ray_Kalm7
3DS FC
3626-0429-4546
T
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZtwAWqOBdk

This guy...he's so ridiculously good at this game. I just...don't even know where else to begin. Half considering attempting to ask him to join the Ganon tournament.
I was waiting for a game against a decent DHD. We can't tell everything yet, but DHD doesn't seem to rack up damage as fast as I thought through projectiles. FTilt to edgegaurd was done beautiful. The Palutena was very good, the Ganon made good use of his high damage. Good stuff.

Last edited:

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Duck Hunt definitely missed a lot of opportunities to control space with his Smashes for better punishes, but yeah. I did feel like it was a good match overall. Mostly I'm just impressed by how quickly this guy catches onto habits and I really like his choices for edgeguarding and recovery.

Last edited:

Ray_Kalm

Smash Master
NNID
Ray_Kalm7
3DS FC
3626-0429-4546
Duck Hunt definitely missed a lot of opportunities to control space with his Smashes for better punishes, but yeah. I did feel like it was a good match overall. Mostly I'm just impressed by how quickly this guy catches onto habits and I really like his choices for edgeguarding and recovery.
Indeed. There was a high level 'you're not going to kill me before I kill you' game going on against the Palutena at 5:18 to 6:00, the Ganon made lovely use of trapping her and making her feel unsafe against Ganon's massive kill moves.

Do you know the name of this Ganon by any chance? Is this the same Ganon from the recent videos you've posted?

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Indeed. There was a high level 'you're not going to kill me before I kill you' game going on against the Palutena at 5:18 to 6:00, the Ganon made lovely use of trapping her and making her feel unsafe against Ganon's massive kill moves.

Do you know the name of this Ganon by any chance? Is this the same Ganon from the recent videos you've posted?
His name on his Nico profile and in-game tag is ぐんぐにる, which according to Google Translate is "Gungnir". And yes, he's the same Ganon I've posted videos of recently against Rosalina, R.O.B., and Mario.

Edit: Checked the kana as romaji, and yeah. It would make sense to call this guy "Gungnir". I'll tag him as such on youtube.

Last edited:

Sykkamorre

Fights using psychology.
NNID
Sykkamor
After watching 'dorf and sheik have a little shield-off, it made me wonder.

What are Ganondorf's best options in that situation?

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
After watching 'dorf and sheik have a little shield-off, it made me wonder.

What are Ganondorf's best options in that situation?
He should have tried to grab or N-air in that situation rather than shield, though obviously neither option would be guaranteed to work depending on how quickly Sheik reacted with B-air. That was tactically a bad call on Ganon's part.

Though in general, you can't really do much against Sheik that won't get punished. Most of her options at all ranges are better than yours, though you can try to make plays either in shieldgrab range or outside of her F-tilt range from what it looks like. You can't edgeguard Sheik as easily as some matchups, so getting grabs against her whenever you can is important so you can attempt to juggle her.

EDIT: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wj3m7JJV78A Gungnir is INSANE.

Last edited:

Ray_Kalm

Smash Master
NNID
Ray_Kalm7
3DS FC
3626-0429-4546
Help me figure out what happened to Ganon against the Bowser at 10:02-10:06. Bowser was able to pull out of Ganon's aerial gerudo despite being grabbed, much like how one is able to release from a normal standing grab.

That said, Gungnir does lovely use of 'edgehogging' to BAir - a true followup. You can see that he managed to kill the Palutena at 77% through this. Looks like edgehogging could still be implemented, but in a different way. Leads me to believe that the stronger back aerial or backwards hitting move you'll have, the stronger potential to have a successful edgehoge to KO.

Last edited:

Daeyrat

Smash Journeyman
It seems his Bair has improved in speed, power and usefulness. Ganon is really getting some benefits from the new ledge mechanic.

Ray_Kalm

Smash Master
NNID
Ray_Kalm7
3DS FC
3626-0429-4546
If I'm not mistaken, Ganon has the strongest BAir in the game, and it also comes out very fast. If this is true, the new edgehogging to BAir follow up and the mechanics of the new edge hogging in general is going to benefit Ganon a lot. Meaning, he can possibly be the best "edgehogger" in the game.

This is great news.

Last edited:

Oort

Smash Cadet
It looks like gerudo basically traded with bowser's attack, with ganondorf definitely getting the short end of the stick. Did this used to happen?

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Help me figure out what happened to Ganon against the Bowser at 10:02-10:06. Bowser was able to pull out of Ganon's aerial gerudo despite being grabbed, much like how one is able to release from a normal standing grab.

That said, Gungnir does lovely use of 'edgehogging' to BAir - a true followup. You can see that he managed to kill the Palutena at 77% through this. Looks like edgehogging could still be implemented, but in a different way. Leads me to believe that the stronger back aerial or backwards hitting move you'll have, the stronger potential to have a successful edgehoge to KO.
There is no grab armor in this game, so taking damage on the same frame you grab someone forces a breakaway instantly. However the person who got grabbed does take a small amount of damage during the breakaway iirc.

And yeah, Ganon having one of the strongest B-airs in this game helps his edge game a lot. Though Zelda might one-up Ganon here if she can sweetspot B-air after edge stealing. Now the real question is can you D-air after edge stealing? Even if it only works in a few matchups, the gimp potential from that is insane. And then on the last stock, what about a Ganoncide?

Last edited:

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Offstage is going to be wildly different now that you don't have to worry about the other guy edgehogging you if you miss. Mixing uairs and bairs with the occasional dair would be quite terrifying with Ganon's best upB recovery to cover him. Ganondorf's bair is even stronger than Bowser's?

It looks like gerudo basically traded with bowser's attack, with ganondorf definitely getting the short end of the stick. Did this used to happen?
I think all grabs in this game cancel if you eat damage at the same time. In Melee, you received no damage, while in Brawl, it was coined 'grab armor,' and the initiator only received damage while keeping the grab.

Last edited:

Forlorn Penguin

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ForlornPenguin
Now the real question is can you D-air after edge stealing? Even if it only works in a few matchups, the gimp potential from that is insane. And then on the last stock, what about a Ganoncide?
That would be amazingly sexy if those could work, especially with the ludicrous amount of style points you'd get for finishing a match with the latter.

jahkzheng

Smash Lord
I was waiting for a game against a decent DHD. We can't tell everything yet, but DHD doesn't seem to rack up damage as fast as I thought through projectiles. FTilt to edgegaurd was done beautiful. The Palutena was very good, the Ganon made good use of his high damage. Good stuff.
I would not have had the patience to play like this, much less the control or prediction. I'd have been owned in particular by that Palutena and Sheik, heh. I'm far too wannabe flashy and stupid to play a good Ganon, but at least it's a fairly entertaining one usually~

Last edited:

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Offstage is going to be wildly different now that you don't have to worry about the other guy edgehogging you if you miss. Mixing uairs and bairs with the occasional dair would be quite terrifying with Ganon's best upB recovery to cover him. Ganondorf's bair is even stronger than Bowser's?
I only know Bowser's B-air does more damage (19% wtf). Not completely certain if Ganon's kills earlier, given I haven't actually seen many Bowsers kill with B-air, surprisingly. Also need to check vs Ike and Zelda's B-airs. Oh and Jiggs B-air of course.

Does SH bair still go over shorter characters?
Yeah, but you can still delay or fastfall it to hit really low profiles. It's reasonably safe on block, though really vulnerable to powershielding.

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Ike's bair was reduced from 14 to 13% I believe. It's safe to say that it's weaker/just a medium-heavy hit, which makes sense because of its priority and range (although compared to Bowser's.. LOL).

jahkzheng

Smash Lord
He should have tried to grab or N-air in that situation rather than shield, though obviously neither option would be guaranteed to work depending on how quickly Sheik reacted with B-air. That was tactically a bad call on Ganon's part.

Though in general, you can't really do much against Sheik that won't get punished. Most of her options at all ranges are better than yours, though you can try to make plays either in shieldgrab range or outside of her F-tilt range from what it looks like. You can't edgeguard Sheik as easily as some matchups, so getting grabs against her whenever you can is important so you can attempt to juggle her.

EDIT: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wj3m7JJV78A Gungnir is INSANE.
Well, just now got to this video. I'm seeing what everyone is saying about that bair edgeguard. His ability to time that ledge grab is really impressive in most of the situations he pulls it off. Loved that fair kill in the second Palutena battle. The Bowser battle was interesting because I've heard this sentiment a few times that "Bowser would do everything Ganon does but better" in this game. I don't know about all that obviously. This guy he played, assuming it was all the same guy, was no slouch either and liked using really annoying characters with good stage control options for the most part.... making the fact that Gungnir beat him even more impressive. I do wonder if he really did win every game as the videos imply or if they are just a select of his wins.

Top Bottom