• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Basic Brawl Friend Finder [It's like a diary of replays!]

FoxBlaze71

Smash Lord
That's not how it works. You're supposed to pick BB, pick a character and stage, and **** everything. Not form teams and assist scrubs.:/ Where did the concept of an FFA fall by the wayside.

But, I generally watch people's behavior for the first few seconds of a match, and if I see a good player, I restrain myself in hopes of a 1v1.

SSBBDaisy

Smash Lord
@FuxBlaze: Ok. I always Pick Homolimar(blue) I switch between Regular/Red/Black&White ICs, and Regular/White/Daisy Peach.

@Vinyl: Yea sorry about that last time we played. I just felt like trolling.

@Sunnysunny: I do that all the time or I will go with the crowd like a fgt.

MR. K

Smash Journeyman
ugh.....just had a match where everything, nad i do mean everything could go against me...

i was against another snake who knew what he was doing...

problem?

lag.

items kept going on(including several benefitting him, such as two stars in a row) and a ******** toon link who decided that since everything else was against me, why not join in and double team me with the snake...

ugh....the snake left after that match....he KNEW he won that match alone almost entirely by luck as well as having some d-bag helper <.<

kaazers

Smash Master
So far, each of the very, very few times I help someone who's been unfairly ganged up on I… somehow end up getting betrayed by them, and then have all three of them attacking me instead. I just stay out of it now, and leave the next round. If the crasher starts attacking me or the fight is interesting, I'll stay though.

…Is there a particular reason why Blue Olimar has such a weird name?

@ Mr. K: I've been there more times than I care to admit.

ninjaalex

Smash Apprentice
So, question~
How many of you guys fight alongside crashers? I don't care who throws the first strike or who its against. If people start ganging up on one dude I go against. Kinda becomes like teams that way. =p
I honostly don't care. I prefer watching brawls unless it's actually a FFA. However, I guess I have to fight if you attack me.

SupaSairentoZ7℠

Smash Hero
It's fine. Just looking out for people. In terms of online Basic Brawl which in the Japanese version that I have is called "Easy Brawl", I honestly doubt that I connect to anyone in NTSC (Provided I use a friend code to connect.) The behavior in Easy Brawl is different than when I played in NTSC. Though that isn't to say there aren't taunt parties, I still get those but I get more actually true free for all battles than I did in NTSC. It's near midnight here in Japan while it is about 9 A.M NTSC Pacific time I believe.

Célja

There's no such thing as a nornal person
NNID
EmperorBeefcake
3DS FC
2406-5854-3581
I've picked up Kirby and somewhat D3 since I started to play Kirby Air Ride again. Watch out for the green Kirby/Blue D3

I've aleready destroyed some poor Kirbys in Kirby dittos and managed to have someone get ko'd by a wandering Waddle Dee in SD which made my year.

:phone:

FoxBlaze71

Smash Lord
Picked up another character a couple weeks after picking up Snake. The discernment with which you post a dumb meme that only you and a few obscure lurkers will laugh at should not be the same with which you work on new characters.

Oh, wait..... Did I mention my new Weegee....

Toadallstar2

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BadInfluenceX
when you're against the same character as yours on basic brawl, do you find it easier or harder, on average? For me, it always seems more difficult for some reason.

FoxBlaze71

Smash Lord
If there's no items and no outside factors, it depends on knowledge of the ditto (essentially, knowing how to punish your character's weaknesses and counter their advantages) and sheer skill.

With items, random aggro scrubs, and lag, it's luck of the draw.

kaazers

Smash Master
With everyone talking about the new characters they've picked up, I felt inspired to try out my below-scrub-level Lucario. I messed with some CPUs for a couple of minutes, and then hopped onto Basic Brawl. I got a room with a P4 Green Sonic, a P3 Blue Snake and an annoying P2 Random who kept on attacking everyone.

I was left with the Snake in sudden death. I wanted to wavebounce my AS in the other direction so I faced the Snake, jumped forward and unleashed it. Only problem was it didn't wavebounce… The Snake went careening offscreen. I recall actually saying, "Oops," out loud, lol.

At that point I thought I might as well get some Snake ditto practice since I knew he would be running after me. All the matches with him were on Temple. He went all blue: Snake/ Falco/ Kirby. He eventually gave up fighting me and we called a truce.

If you're out there, P3, it was an accident, I swear. >>

when you're against the same character as yours on basic brawl, do you find it easier or harder, on average? For me, it always seems more difficult for some reason.

I'm bad at dittoes in general, but I really struggle during the first few fights when my opponent doesn't actually know how to use their character. Haha, the seemingly random attacks they use throw me off so much.

SupaSairentoZ7℠

Smash Hero
My character is quite simple. Forward tilt and upward tilt beat out all of Peaches aerial attempts. She short hop floats to you in attempt to use downward aerial attack just use forward tilt.

kaazers

Smash Master
I'm having so much fun trolling and being trolled by this P2 who seems to like playing White characters. He's been Yoshi/ Link/ DK/ Diddy/ Wario. We would try to spike/gimp each other, and if the other one got KO'd we'd taunt and teabag repeatedly. xD Funny enough, we both thought we hated each other but when this Zelda and Marth came in and started to attack him, we both banded together and started to fight them off. Also every time they started to act all romantic he'd hurl eggs at them. Pft. I love you, P2, I truly do.

EDIT: Unfortunately, we got DC'd mid-match. I also forgot to mention I was playing Neutral Ike and Snake. This is the second time I got the Smashball as Snake, pressed B repeatedly, only to get Grenades for a couple of seconds before the group would be DC'd all of a sudden. Is this common?

Quick GG's to a White Peach/ Red Zelda I fought on Final Destination with my Red Ike. I eventually left after 3 fights because 1: it was really laggy and 2: the Green Marth/ Gold Pit and Wario/ Snake/ Rob who were fighting didn't keep to their side.

Célja

NNID
EmperorBeefcake
3DS FC
2406-5854-3581
Nobody ever seems to use PT, and the ones that do can't do **** with Squirtle, forget that Ivysaur can't recover, and don't use enough Rock Smash with Charizard. I've met maybe 3 good PT's in the 2+ years I've been on BB.

As for Falcon, most of the time I find it easier, since other people either just use him for taunting, or just Falcon Punch. Many don't know about the wheel of fortune (u-air > u-air > knee, which is super sexy to do.) and just fail the knee in general. I've only lost to a couple Falcons that I actually fought against and not with. Falcon dittos though tend to be pretty even since you can combo easy with his jab and u-air so really it comes down to who plays smarter.

As for Wolf, dear god I never met more spammers besides the spamachus on BB. I find it easier since scrub fur **** never recover, but it's embarrassing to see myself get hit by F-Smash so much against a fellow wolf.

Célja

NNID
EmperorBeefcake
3DS FC
2406-5854-3581
I had a bunch of fun matches with this Blue and Red Peach. We did nothing in the first few matches, but once this pit player started shooting arrows at us. The other two picked a lot of characters such as Pit, Pikachu, Ike, Lucario, Kirby, Yoshi and some others that I'm probably forgetting. I was the green Kirby, Green Wolf, PT, Red MK, Blue D3, Blue Falcon, and the Pikachu that wasn't spamming. We pulled off dumb combos, beat the snot out of the other two, and messed around in SD when we got in together. After an hour or who knows how long I was in there, I left simply because I was getting a little bored.

I think I went everyone of my characters outside of Lucario and Ganondorf. I would say something about my Samus, but as much as Samus sucks by herself, my scrubby Samus is worse.

Toadallstar2

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BadInfluenceX
Thanks for your answers... As for spamming characters, especially wolf, I find them annoying but obviously predictable. Just shield/spotdodge then grab, down smash or whatever for me.

Peach's forward tilt is useful in many situations I find. And up tilt right after is a good combo.

Sunnysunny

Blue-nubis
Premium
Seeing as how I main Lucario it should always be a close match...
but its not...

Good lucario's are incredibly unrepresented online. I've yet to meet one thats put in the dedication to full on main him. I use to be a main bouncer, but i've put in so much work into my procario all other characters arn't even worth going anymore. Aside from Falco atleast.

C-stick face rolling wolfs arn't bad anymore. They follow a flowchart. :V

Are they at mid range YES = F SMASH!
Are they close? YES = D-SMASH
Are they far away? YES = ROLLROLLROLLROLL

Just block and punish F-smash's, and read the obvious rolls. They roll alot if there attacks blocked too. Just be ready with something. Instant d-air's usually my go to option for roll punishment.

FoxBlaze71

Smash Lord
^People form teams with you because they respect your skill and want a 1v1, so they need to clear all the douchey noobs out of the group.

Found a ultra-gay black and yellow ICs, randoms scrub, and green PT. The PT stood around and occasionally helped the ICs, which my green Kirby did not like and made it clear. After that match, I stopped attacking him because I really didn't need another MU. The ICs were gay as all **** and I don't know the MU well, not to mention the annoying aggro scrub that thought all the **** in the world was his business. I used green randoms, including Fox, Kirby, and MK, who did a good job outgaying the ICs. After a while, ICs left, random scrubs + another pacifist came in, and I DCd the group.

I swear, BB is always the same ****, and a different day.

SSBBDaisy

Smash Lord
its funny I was a black/white ics today and I faced a kirby fox and mk and they were picked by the same person. But I won every time I faced this person. So I'm not to sure but I guess it wasn't u foxblaze. All I know is that when this person went fox and mk I trolled him as hard as I could.

kaazers

Smash Master
I was in a group consisting of only decent players just half an hour ago… but one by one, they all slowly left. First there was P2 Neutral Ness, myself (Neutral Ike) and P4 Pink MK/ Gold Ike/ Purple Diddy. We had a whole round where we all tried just spiking each other.

Then when P3 went AFK we got P2 Yellow Ness/ White Peach. He, too, was pretty good. He started attacking me and I died of a Soccer Ball. P2 gave me back the point and then stayed bent over and refused to fight me. P3 left. On the second round, on Frigate, he wanted to fight me again. Somewhere between me trying to attack his Peach and KOing the CPU that P4 (lol) worked so hard to rack up damage on, P2 got scared or something -- I really don't know -- and refused to fight. Each time I hit him, he just jumped off and gave me the point. >> After all that, P4 left. After another round of this with 2 CPU, he DC'd us when no one else joined our group.

At least I'm fighting a pretty decent although somewhat trolly Pink MK right now on Pictochat.

Scratch that, he left after one round...

LordShade67

Smash Ace
NNID
LordShade67
3DS FC
2148-8642-9915
Many of the Marths I have seen online are terrible and predictable.I understand it's Marth on Wi-fi,but still....I can literally count on one hand the few Marths in there who are better than mine.(Not saying mine good,as I picked up and mained him in Brawl and not Melee.)

Peach's forward tilt is useful in many situations I find. And up tilt right after is a good combo.
Yes.FTilt,IMO,makes for a pretty decent anti-air when UTilt won't do,IMO.

C-stick face rolling wolfs arn't bad anymore. They follow a flowchart. :V

Are they at mid range YES = F SMASH!
Are they close? YES = D-SMASH
Are they far away? YES = ROLLROLLROLLROLL

Just block and punish F-smash's, and read the obvious rolls. They roll alot if there attacks blocked too. Just be ready with something. Instant d-air's usually my go to option for roll punishment.
Or if the Wolf is dumb enough to FSmash Falco/DDD/Pikachu's shield (the majority will),you can just be a jerk and shieldgrab them for a free chaingrab. XD

SupaSairentoZ7℠

Smash Hero
I've seen a few Marth players in dittos know to use Dolphin Slash to break out of Sword Dance after the first hit. Well because of Wifi it isn't quite as easy to punish because of lag and input delays and then you tend to weaken your shield more causing his smashes to shield poke. Pikachu is next to what I've seen for smash attack spamming in terms of down smash, fortunately I can SDI out of it anytime I do get caught or shield pokes. I still hate Pit because of spammed Angel Rings.

Against Peaches I run into I just let them come after me since forward tilt will beat out her down aerial attack regardless if she is floating or not then up tilt beats out all her aerials but her down aerial attacks does trade hits with Peaches up smash. Though often times all I get are Peach Bomber spammers. I do enjoy beating up Peaches that try to attack me.

At least it is confirmed that Japan and NTSC are seperate in terms of Basic Brawl and Team Battle. They still get taunt parties but 80% of the random players I encountered are all good and it is true free for all which is dang tough to have in NTSC and especially without someone D/Cing the group. Actually making to 78 KOs. I was surprised I lived to 243% before Pikachu's Thunder star KOed me. XD I know if many of you were connected with Japan you'd enjoy yourself a lot more.

Sunnysunny

Blue-nubis
Premium
^People form teams with you because they respect your skill and want a 1v1, so they need to clear all the douchey noobs out of the group.
Hup. This.
My favorite scenario is when i'm 1 on 1ing another player, and a white knight comes into to attack who ever did the first strike. The two that are 1 on 1ing form a mutual agreement to beat the crap outta the white knight until he ****s off. =w=

Vunderful~ Funny how much unspoken synergy you can find with other players online~

Oh um~
Speaking of which, in case you ever want to know if its me.
I play a blu-cario. When i'm not fighting i'm insta-D-airing back and forth or wavebouncing around auraspheres. Just to see if anyone does some kinda tech in response. If they do I jab at em and send signals to see if they wanna fight. =w=

Feel free to jab me or something if ya wanna go~ I'm looking for 1 on 1's anyways~ ;3

FoxBlaze71

Smash Lord
its funny I was a black/white ics today and I faced a kirby fox and mk and they were picked by the same person. But I won every time I faced this person. So I'm not to sure but I guess it wasn't u foxblaze. All I know is that when this person went fox and mk I trolled him as hard as I could.
I beat him with MK and a few others, but the annoying scrub really ****ed me up.:glare:

Hup. This.
My favorite scenario is when i'm 1 on 1ing another player, and a white knight comes into to attack who ever did the first strike. The two that are 1 on 1ing form a mutual agreement to beat the crap outta the white knight until he ****s off. =w=

Vunderful~ Funny how much unspoken synergy you can find with other players online~

Oh um~
Speaking of which, in case you ever want to know if its me.
I play a blu-cario. When i'm not fighting i'm insta-D-airing back and forth or wavebouncing around auraspheres. Just to see if anyone does some kinda tech in response. If they do I jab at em and send signals to see if they wanna fight. =w=

Feel free to jab me or something if ya wanna go~ I'm looking for 1 on 1's anyways~ ;3
I play white or green randoms, mainly Falco, Fox, and MK. I do a lot of laser techs/boost pivot grab as Fox, a lot of buffered attacks out of SHDL or backflip laser/DAC boost pivot grab with Falco, and and do a lot of jump canceled reverse aerials and show off with dimensional cape ledgegrabs/platform tricks.

Also, don't forget some people shield tap as a 1v1 signal. I personally prefer that method since practicing my jab cancels with Ike often throws me into a 1v1 with a ****ty player. Although, taunters often think shield tapping is one of their dumb games and will **** things up if you get a real 1v1 going with someone.

SupaSairentoZ7℠

Smash Hero
Very good 1 on 1 against
that I fought with
. We had a
that just spectated and allowed us to have our 1 on 1 matches. No lag which helped. The 3 matches we had both were tie but I lost the 2nd one. (Snake and those dang disjointed tilts. =P)

It was 0740-0800 Japan time when this happened. Arigato! I would have stayed but too bad I have to go to work. =/

Top Bottom