• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Band of the Hawk: you have brought shame among the hawks

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
My brother called me this morning and warned me not to do business with the Mario brothers. Needless to say, I have no idea what he was talking about. :laugh:

thumbswayup

Smash Master
Go **** yourself Phil

TOASTY what are your thoughts on Godfather part II? Do you think it succeeded as a stand alone piece or as a sequel to the greatest film ever made? Dude, I didn't like that movie at ALL. WHy why why is the general consensus that the movie is as good as, if not better than the first? I don't understand how people can view this film on par with THE GODFATHER.

You know, everyone always says The Godfather is the best film of all time and when I watched it again yesterday for the first time in four years, I was blown away all over again. The Godfather is a perfect film, not only is there nothing wrong with it, but it contains some of the most memorable and iconic scenes in cinema. It was made in 1972, but it is still an incredibly violent picture. It's held up so well over the years, and it'll always be that way.

Then I watched part II and nothing about it is "as good as The Godfather". Nothing about it is spectacular. I'll tell ya Robert De Niro as the young Corleone was the best part of the movie, he did a fantastic job. I really wish the whole film was about him and his rise to power. I could definitely watch that for three hours. Instead most of the movie is about Al Pacino and a bunch of new characters I didn't care for with a story that just wasn't all that exciting tbh. Who cares about Hymen Roth and Pentangeli and Fredo's betrayal of Michael (horrible plot point imo).

That's another thing, EVERY SINGLE character in the first Godfather is awesome. From the MOMENT the film starts, every single person you meet/see/hear about is important to the story and they're all memorable. Part II had some of the most lackluster characters ever. Some of them were just more annoying than anything else. Ooooooooooh Diane Keaten just got on my nerves here. In the first movie she's necessary, but here she's just annoying and a good portion of the film is spent on her relationship with Michael.

I didn't look at the clock ONCE during my re-viewing of The Godfather, I was completely fascinated and hooked the whole three hour run. During Part II I stared at the clock at almost every other scene BEGGING for it to end. An hour and 45 minutes in I wanted to just stop watching. I bet if I had NEVER seen the first Godfather, I probably would have enjoyed the second one a little. But no, I have to compare it to what I've seen because you don't just walk in there forgetting a much better film.

It was just a waste of time, and holy god part II is LONGER THAN THE GODFATHER SOMEHOW. I should have just watched the first one again, I'd be so much happier right now.

thumbswayup

Smash Master
OHFOUIHDS"GOWHg'owihgowhf

WHAT CLYDE?!?!?!?

HOLY **** YOU NEVER SAW THE GODFATHER?!?!?!?!??!

Jesus ****ing Christ dude, **** the war films we told you to watch. Stop everything you're doing and watch it. Do NOT watch Part II or III dear god I can't stress that enough. But dude wtf, watch The Godfather RIGHT NOW. Seriously, best film ever made.

I await your thoughts on the film.

and yes, they are three hours long each (not sure about part III, everyone says that one is a travesty)

thumbswayup

Smash Master
Dear god Joe, get on that! Remember how I had to see Rocky and finally did and loved it? Same thing's gonna happen with you and The Godfather. Make sure it's the next movie you see.

ps Shutter Island was bad

thumbswayup

Smash Master
Ehhhhhhhhhhhhh

Can't really say without ruining it. From a technical perspective, it's great. Scorsese's direction is flawless as usual. But what I'm talkling about has to do with the story and the end. What a disappointment.

Laijin

Smash Hero
I'll share my opinion of it to you when I get through seeing it.

Also. Seb.
Watch Rocky IV. Its best one. You can skip 2 and 3 without really missing anything(3 had a pretty awesome montage though, but that fight with Clubber Lang was weak). 2 reminds me a lot of 1, but 4 is easily the best.

thumbswayup

Smash Master
Kathryn Bigelow is probably going to win best director, and yeah I'd like to see her win because The Hurt Locker was really great. I'd prefer Tarantino would win, but now that idea seems impossible.

Laijin

Smash Hero
Yeah I plan on watching IV, BUT I will make sure to watch 2 first. I'll skip 3 lol

3 does end up being pretty hilarious.
The only thing 3 actually does that is important is build up Rocky's relationship with Apollo. They pretty much end up training together in what is one of the coolest montages in the series. Also something else pretty important happens, but I won't spoil it.
However, that fight felt pretty dumb. :(

Edit: I don't know what you guys are watching when it comes to anime, but all of you need to watch Cobra the Animation. ;o

thumbswayup

Smash Master
Goodfellas. I'll add that to my list.

Since we are talking about good movies here...
Have you seen Equilibrium?
I saw the first half of that movie like 5 years ago. I liked what I saw, I should finish it at some point.

Right now I am bent on watching all of Scorsese's films (Goodfellas is my fav of his so far), you'd be surprised how many amazing films he's made (The Departed and The Aviator more recently). So once I get a hold of and watch Mean Streets and Raging Bull and Cape Fear I will finish the Rocky series.

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
Now that we're talking about boxing movies, I just want to say I thought Million Dollar Baby was hilarious. Moreover, Cinderella man was garbage imo.

Now if you want to see a quality boxing movie, Gentleman Jim was AMAZING.

Laijin

Smash Hero
I saw the first half of that movie like 5 years ago. I liked what I saw, I should finish it at some point.

Right now I am bent on watching all of Scorsese's films (Goodfellas is my fav of his so far), you'd be surprised how many amazing films he's made (The Departed and The Aviator more recently). So once I get a hold of and watch Mean Streets and Raging Bull and Cape Fear I will finish the Rocky series.
First half? That means you never got to any of the good action scenes. Its what the Matrix should have been like.

thumbswayup

Smash Master
shutter island sucked btw
*high five*

Now that we're talking about boxing movies, I just want to say I thought Million Dollar Baby was hilarious. Moreover, Cinderella man was garbage imo.

Now if you want to see a quality boxing movie, Gentleman Jim was AMAZING.
What was hilarious about Million Dollar Baby?

Godfather 2: better soundtrack.
Disagree. Then again I was falling in and out of consciousness during the whole ordeal because I was completely bored with the movie long before the half way mark.

First half? That means you never got to any of the good action scenes. Its what the Matrix should have been like.
? The Matrix is a great movie, I hope you meant Reloaded and Revolutions.

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero

thumbswayup

Smash Master
Morgan Freeman was spot on, as always.
A hundred and ten.

Whole audience applauded at that moment (even me). I believe it is impossible to not clap at the end of that scene.

Buuut I don't think I'm ever going to be a Clint Eastwood fan.
Watch a little movie called Unforgiven and see why I began hating Clint Eastwood more than anyone in the universe.

He redeemed himself in my book with Gran Torino though and now I can go on appreciating his work.

Also, I wanna emphasize.

I kid thee not.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/gentleman_jim/
LOL with eight reviews :p The boxing movie I want to see right now is Raging Bull. Then I'll check this out.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/raging_bull/

ChaosKnight

Smash Master
youjust pissed me off with saying godfather 2 is bad thumbs yo truly are a ******* but no really maybe because you really didnt wanna pay attention is the reason why you didnt like it cause if you even payed attention to even half of the ****ing movie you would understand >_>

thumbswayup

Smash Master
I didn't say it was bad, I said it was BAD IN COMPARISON TO THE GODFATHER

YOU CAN'T IN GOOD CONSCIENCE TELL ME IT COMES CLOSE TO THE ORIGINAL

EXPLAIN WHY THE FILM IS SO GOOD HUH WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME YOU WATCHED IT?!?!? HOW ABOUT YOU REWATCH BOTH AND COME BACK AND TELL ME PART 2 IS GOOD JUST TRY

Mike- gangster walks by open door to hospital, loud piano notes play as soon as he does

skins

Smash Rookie
LOL AHAAHA. Remember when he walked back into the frame HAHAHAH. btw my dad explained at lot to me about why he liked the second one more. Most of it involved the story; both de niero and pacino. He also said it was better acted in the second one but I disagreed on that.

Also seb, fill this out.
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/oscar/oscargame.htm

Oh god I just remembered that the golden compass beat transformers... GAH

thumbswayup

Smash Master
LOLOLOL dude I was thinking about that all day at work and laughing my *** off. Just as bad as Scorsese's use of that terrible theme in Shutter Island right before he shoots his wife.

ALSO I asked as many people as I could what they thought about part 2 compared to one. Most of the people I asked hadn't even seen part 2. One of my co-workers said he liked part 2, but it wasn't nearly as good as 1 (thank GOD). TOMORROW I am going to speak with Joe, he's this repsectable historian in his late 30s I believe and he is as big a movie buff as I am (if not more). I've spoken with him about The Godfather before, but never part 2. I will discover the secret as to why this film is so well liked.

edit- HAHA by a stroke of luck he just walked by my office and I just talked with him for 15 minutes about it. He COMPLETELY agreed that not only is part 2 not as good, but he even had problems with it as a movie in general. He said it was good, but obviously not as good as the original.

Mike, I think I know what it is. People loved The Godfather so much that it would break their heart to call the second one not nearly as good because of Pacino and De Niro's performances. And I agree that their acting was phenominal. It is a **** SHAME that the movie is not. What a ****ing shame, the first one is a perfect film after all.

LMAO Golden Compass

skins

Smash Rookie
It is age. Thats your secret. In 40 years we'll be sayin "**** I love Godfather part2...waaaay better than that 2013 remake starring Will Smith as Vito Corleone, Gerrard Butler as Michael, and Miley Cyrus as Michael's Wife.

Top Bottom