• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 3DS The balance in this game is just awful.

Clemente

Smash Journeyman
Was anyone else hoping that especially with people that worked on Tekken working on the game, that there would be some semi-heavy focus on balancing?

I keep hearing that it's good, but so many characters are not viable at all, and then we have about 5-10 that are going to be the only ones used. It really boggles the mind. For example how does one balance a character like Lucina with tons of spike attacks in every direction with amazing hitboxes, and then another character with a sword the same size will have half the hitbox? It's like the game was balanced by a literal ****** in the hitbox department.

redreflect

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3282-2415-2514
I think there are some balancing issues, but for the most part it's pretty good. Sure, there are going to be some characters you might not EVER see make it to the finals of a tournament (if that's what you mean). I think that happens in the majority of games.

Among friends though, I think every character is viable.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
The game actually seems to be pretty well balanced. I have no idea what you are talking about.

SwoodGrommet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RIPinpieces
3DS FC
3652-0583-3903
The game hasn't been out for long; opinions on characters will most likely change in the coming months and years. Techniques that work now may be obsolete in the future. Don't let certain characters bother you, just keep playing against them over and over. When you get frustrated, take a break and then return with a fresh new outlook.

Clemente

Smash Journeyman
The game hasn't been out for long; opinions on characters will most likely change in the coming months and years. Techniques that work now may be obsolete in the future. Don't let certain characters bother you, just keep playing against them over and over. When you get frustrated, take a break and then return with a fresh new outlook.
I'm at least "comfortable" with my win rate at 60%. I didn't really post this one out of frustration. But between checking stuff out using it + training mode etc., it's really shocking, the attempt at balancing - with attack speeds/hitboxes/damage. And I'm not just talking Pit with his laughably horrible hitboxes on his air attacks vs. Lucina having amazing hitboxes on all her attacks. It's a lot of characters.

IMO quit laughably a lot of the high tier characters on the Japanese Brawl tier list just got overnerfed to being crappy in SSB4.

Last edited:

SwoodGrommet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RIPinpieces
3DS FC
3652-0583-3903
I agree that a lot of characters seem to have it all. I don't really know what else to say other than it's in the game and there's not much we can do, but yes, I do agree with you. All we can do is just slug on through it, which is unfortunate.Although, it will be interesting to see how these things are dealt with by characters who may not have been so lucky.

Einyuri

Smash Cadet
Go play MVC3 and then think about balance.

On a more serious note, I always wait for the Wii U version to be out; the one where we'll have a lot more control options and better handling/control over the game before I decide whether the game's balance is **** or not.

The only thing I see that are really good are heavy characters, and very quick characters with little to no landing lag (Sheik, ZSS, etc.)

But I've been able to beat them, although it's a bit of a challenge considering they have more tools than I. So it's not like it's IMPOSSIBLE, but it's definitely difficult.

TypePositive

Smash Apprentice
It's too early to say, as everyone else has said, but Mac and Rosalina are obviously a bit ahead of the other characters. A lot of a bit ahead. Matchup seems to be more important In this game and those two have good matchups against almost everyone.

Gameboi834

Smash Lord
NNID
Gameboi834
I've been beating Rosalinas and Little Macs as Dedede and Donkey Kong. If you think it's unbalanced then that's on you.

Ganreizu

Smash Ace
You're going to have to develop your claims a lot more.

FYI, if ssb4 has more than 7-8 tourny viable characters, it's the most balanced official smash game to date. Also, smash games are never 100% balanced with tournament play in mind.

Last edited:

Clemente

Smash Journeyman
I've been beating Rosalinas and Little Macs as Dedede and Donkey Kong. If you think it's unbalanced then that's on you.
Hey Game Boi, I should have clarified, but the game being imbalanced doesn't mean you can't win or that things are unbeatable. Sorry for not clarifying I thought it was obvious.

Last edited:

Raijinken

Smash Master
Ten is nearly twice as many as six. Better balanced than before.

Not that I'm not already sick of Sheik though.

One Handed Sword

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1005-9385-3445
Ike seems awfull at the moment. He cannot keep up with half of the cast,Very slow and he cant even pack a punch for gods sake! I can spend 2 minutes trying to launch a 150% Kirby and he still wont die!

DoctorDub

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DrDubious
Ike seems awfull at the moment. He cannot keep up with half of the cast,Very slow and he cant even pack a punch for gods sake! I can spend 2 minutes trying to launch a 150% Kirby and he still wont die!
Dude, I've been killed by Ike at 60%
It's just that Kirby is a pain in the ass in SSB4
He just refuses to die.

Shen_Jehuty

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2423-3102-6095
I sort of have to agree with you. There are definitely about 10 characters that are obviously better then the rest of the roster. With that said, I have faced players using characters not included in this top tier who completed destroyed me despite he character they were playing, so who knows.

One Handed Sword

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1005-9385-3445
Dude, I've been killed by Ike at 60%
It's just that Kirby is a pain in the *** in SSB4
He just refuses to die.
Because you ran into his slow unpractical smash attacks. Like I have only killed 30 people with smash attacks out of my 100+ game experience.

D

Deleted member 269706

Right now I'm feeling like there are a few characters who are WAY up there in terms of having tactical advantages, and then a few characters (like Ike and Ganondorf for example) who are falling behind a bit. I think that for the most part, the game is balanced, much more than Brawl anyways, but there are still a few issues that need to, and probably will be, worked out.

Clemente

Smash Journeyman
Surely you guys will at least admit that the balancing is a little bit "random"?

Tiny characters with crazy hitboxes, characters with big weapons but tiny hitboxes, etc.

Another thing I find kind of funny is that all of the counter characters (besides Ike) aren't scaled down in any other areas to really account for their 360 degree counter. It really did seem like the person who balanced the game just didn't care that much.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 269706

I doubt that there was just one person tasked with "balancing the game". I agree with you to a point that the game isn't perfect, but there is a decent amount of balance throughout. Just because you end up losing a few rounds doesn't mean that everything is screwed up. I mean the game has been out for a week, it's gonna take some time before anyone can say anything about the true "balance" of the game.

D

Deleted member 269706

Again I'm not saying these things out of frustration from losing...
Then I just have to ask what brings this up in the first place? The game has only been out for 7 days outside of Japan. it's way to early to determine anything about balance. Plus your OP and some of the replies have been a bit aggressive in my eyes.

Roko Jono

Smash Apprentice
There's obviously better characters with more tools and options, but I believe with this game a large amount of the cast does have a chance to be win matches. Since mainly this game is about reads, spacing, and knowledge of the matchups rather than having a character who can do 0-50%'s then up throw kill a character (generally speaking of course) as opposed to someone who can't.

As an example for shield countering, maybe a character has superior f-tilt, f-smash, d-smash, etc to KO out of shield. 3 options to kill in the same manner, but some characters have their f-smash alone which is just as fine as it will get the KO in the same situations. All you want is the KO in this example anyways right?

warionumbah2

Smash Master
Sheik destroys all!!!

>easy to use
>can combo anything out of grab
>projectile game is insane

totally imbalanced lel.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Ganondorf feels just about as useless as in Brawl. Every time he tries to recover, he's practically easy pickings for someone's grab game.

Of course, I never did pay any attention to Ganondorf's gameplay footage, so there's probably something that I'm missing with him.

Kinslayer

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4597-0744-1374
Balance isnt determined on who you beat people with. If you think that is what matters with balance you should ask a pro player what balance is.

Cammed Z28

SB-Jgd = My FG gamer tag
3DS FC
2852-9484-2780
Ganondorf feels just about as useless as in Brawl. Every time he tries to recover, he's practically easy pickings for someone's grab game.

Of course, I never did pay any attention to Ganondorf's gameplay footage, so there's probably something that I'm missing with him.
I was playing against my little brother and usually I own him, but he had ganondorf and I had Luciana, I would always counter too early and since GDs attacks are slow/delayed he would connect way too often lol he is kinda cruddy but he hits hard when he manages to connect

Overall I think the balance is quite good.... however time will tell.
Maybe wait for the meta to completely form before we cast judgement concerning things like balance issues

Last edited:

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion

You're not missing anything. He still sucks pretty hard.

Roko Jono

Smash Apprentice

I love Ganon. I haven't seen alot of *insert high tier character* so I can't say much about those but lemme tell you a bit about Ganon this time around. Like every character without a projectile he's still got issues with range and gets around the stage quite slow. He's nowhere near perfect.

Since rolls are overused and shieldstun is very low hes got jab, f-tilt, and f-smash depending on how punishable the move is in that order. They deal decent damage and knockback, very good tools.

You can combo up-air from dash attack and some throws at certain percentage. Forward-b has good tech chase potential. Speaking of up-air, it's rather quick and people above you have to watch out for it.

Edgeguarding can be done with b-air, d-air, air down-b (which I think still spikes), and best of all, Ganoncide (forward-b). If you suspect your opponent about to sweetspot the ledge or has a vulnerable up-b, you can jump off the stage and forward-b into the ledge and this will setup multiple traps for Ganoncide since the active frames last quite long, even if they sweetspot they can mess up and let their invincibility frames disappear. Ganoncide has changed in smash4 for the better. Your opponent will ALWAYS die first when suiciding.

TL;DR Ganon requires some patience, but he's kind of like a 1 hit Lil Mac with a few more flaws, but gains Ganoncide.

Sorry longpost

Last edited:

Phoenix_Dark

Smash Lord
NNID
Phoenix2337
3DS FC
1289-8343-1385
Again I'm not saying these things out of frustration from losing...
No, but you are talking out of your ass. Marth/Lucina have considerable lag on their aerials if the full animation doesn't play out. Pit's a quicker character with less range. He uses flippin daggers. Of course his hit boxes will be smaller than a character that uses a sword. It's not a good matchup for him. Characters have bad matchups. When they don't, then there is balance issues.

Last edited:

Jiggly

Drop the mic, cause these fools sleeping on me
The FBI Surveillance Van outside your house.
NNID
Jiggly101
To me, this game seems strange, kind of like project m, where it seems a lot more balanced. To complain that the game is unbalanced, is like complaining you got more presents from Santa this Christmas :p

I destroy some people with Ganondorf. I've also seen some good players using him very effectively. Definitely better than Brawl.

Clemente

Smash Journeyman
To me, this game seems strange, kind of like project m, where it seems a lot more balanced. To complain that the game is unbalanced, is like complaining you got more presents from Santa this Christmas :p
Well I'm glad someone with Bowser, Little Mac, and ZSS in their sig is telling me that balance is great, which are some of the most viable characters in the game (no clue about Jiggly)

No, but you are talking out of your ***. Marth/Lucina have considerable lag on their aerials if the full animation doesn't play out. Pit's a quicker character with less range. He uses flippin daggers. Of course his hit boxes will be smaller than a character that uses a sword. It's not a good matchup for him. Characters have bad matchups. When they don't, then there is balance issues.
Thanks for taking my one example and assuming that that one matchup sums up my whole point.

Aentho

Smash Rookie
Dude, give the metagame a chance to develop. It's way too early to be saying what you're saying.

Phoenix_Dark

Smash Lord
NNID
Phoenix2337
3DS FC
1289-8343-1385
It's the example you gave. Twice. The game has been in your hands for a week and you're complaining about balance. It's absurd. Especially when you give such weak examples. There very well could be serious balance issues. We won't know for quite some time though. MK wasn't regarded as broken for quite a while. Characters like Diddy Kong and Olimar gained their placements far into the life of Brawl.

Weavile's Wrath

Smash Apprentice
People online keep attacking my warlock punches when they should just grab...

CONCLUSION: Nobody knows enough about the game to say it's imbalanced.

Top Bottom