• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Bad Habits of a Peach

Ryobeat

Smash Ace
What are some bad habits of a peach to watch out for? For example, me, everything i get smothered by falco/fox pressure, i have a bad habit of shielding and rolling, which is really bad >_<

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
Panic downsmashes are VERY easy to fall into when you're not in control, or getting somthered/desperate. And when you're getting comboed by Falco, trying to mash nair is another very bad habit to get into. Dash attacking a lot (even when you begin to hit shields and get punished for it) is also rather common.

All these are solved simply by remaining aware of your opponent, and staying calm.

Ryobeat

Smash Ace
When your getting combo'ed by falco, if your not trying to get a nair in, what else do you do in the situation? And another thing i have to stop is getting too impatient and approaching when im losing ._. it then ends up with me not getting my hit, fearing, and shielding

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
You should try to DI down + away, and get out of the combo. Trying to nair through it in most cases will just get you comboed more. If you can float out of it, and try to punish him in some lag, go for it. Otherwise, just get out and reset.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
Large amount of Peaches treat WD back > down smash as WDbackdownsmash. But, really, it's a sequence of two moves. The WD back creates a window where you can confirm the opponent has missed in front of you (or not). Upon confirming they have missed in front of you, that's the time to down smash. If they don't, you don't. The reaction difference is very small, but it makes a huge difference in terms of how punishable and efficient your actions are.

A lot of them also don't understand that Fox's FJ nair is an arc, and how to position outside of the arc when they're floating (also, moving back with float is the same way in that the retreat float is meant to create a window where you confirm certain conditions and THEN swing).

Generic sidestep and down smash habits under pressure have been covered, so I won't go there.

A lot of you try to do up air combos at percents where they don't do anything productive or work. Her up air is really strong and they basically need to be below 70. If you're purposely overextending the up air because you think you can trade a nair or something on their descent then that's different and fine, whatever. But your higher percent combos are more along weak aerial (bair, nair) to strong aerial if you want to go for kills (rather than just do strong nair and end the combo, which should be used more in general).

A lot of people pull turnips at inopportune times or don't pull them safely. Turnips are mostly a tool about extending Peach's reach, for edgeguarding, and for zoning. You don't need to revert to zoning mid-combo. If you can continue to apply pressure with FCs and whatever then that's often more productive than plucking the turnip. A lot of Peaches also 'expect' their nair (or whatever) to hit and don't confirm that it's connected and pull the turnip after hitting a shield, which in turn drops most of their pressure. Don't just think you've hit them because you think you were supposed to hit them. Confirm it. Again, reaction difference is like tiny but the efficiency upgrade is huge.

Many Peaches pull turnips between stocks vs characters like Falcon and Fox and hold them during their respawn (super dangerous to do this). Turnips remove too many options and getting rid of them on an invulnerable space animal or Falcon is a hassle. Just use basic evasion. Against slower characters this might be acceptable. But I don't see the point, really, especially if your opponent is trying to chase you down when you have the veggie (which they should, if they're invulnerable, because it's by far the best move).

Trying to force hits with dash attacks.

Overusing nair to escape combos.

Using nair backwards. Nair has priority below + in front, and behind + above. A lot of Peaches jump headfirst into nairs or dairs and then they lose and they're confused. But nair's priority (while good) is in some very specific places and that needs to be respected.

Ryobeat

Smash Ace
Many Peaches pull turnips between stocks vs characters like Falcon and Fox and hold them during their respawn (super dangerous to do this). Turnips remove too many options and getting rid of them on an invulnerable space animal or Falcon is a hassle. Just use basic evasion. Against slower characters this might be acceptable. But I don't see the point, really, especially if your opponent is trying to chase you down when you have the veggie (which they should, if they're invulnerable, because it's by far the best move).
What options would it eliminate? Besides smash attacks and grabs, running away is the same. Versus those characters, you rarely get time to pull them, so why not then, so you can hold it when invincibility runs out and then zone

It actually helps because it creates space afterwards, putting them where Peach wants them, or if they're sent off stage, it can be used to hit them away from the edge

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
:laugh: This is probably my worst one, and I normally don't pull turnips. But I always pull one in this situation. There's no reason to do so.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
What options would it eliminate? Besides smash attacks and grabs, running away is the same.
Grab, non-float aerial, down smash, dash attack, down tilt, jabs, grabs. Basically, a ton of your good moves (and the bulk of your go-to defensive moves - let's face it, Peach is gonna be on defense when the characters I listed respawn most of the time).

Versus those characters, you rarely get time to pull them, so why not then, so you can hold it when invincibility runs out and then zone
Those characters are faster than you and can rush you down because they're invincible. Turnips are bad in close quarters because of the list of moves you lose, as outlined above. The running away process is similar, I suppose, but the point of the turnip is to extend Peach's range in exchange for options. In close quarters, range is less valuable than combat options.

It actually helps because it creates space afterwards, putting them where Peach wants them, or if they're sent off stage, it can be used to hit them away from the edge
How are you sending an invulnerable character offstage? Moreover, how are you hitting a close character offstage when you don't have any of the moves listed above at your disposal? The vegetable offers virtually no incentive to create space (for the opponent) because the invulnerability removes the trouble of closing distance, and having the vegetable sufficiently limits Peach once they're in her face.

Obviously there is some personal discretion involved if you pluck something like a stitch-face or whatever, but in a general sense (i.e. non-broken item) you do not want to be caught being chased down by Falcon with nothing to hit him with (when his invulnerability wears off) but a vegetable, float aerial, and your specials.

Also, Falcon players give you guys way more chances to pluck veggies than you think. Every time they do a stationary aerial to keep 'rhythm' or whatnot is a free turnip pull. When you pay attention to your opponent, a surprisingly large amount of Peach's 'weaknesses' disappear*.

* Sheik doesn't disappear though. No matter how hard you look at her.

Wake

Smash Master
It's ok. We have dtilt for Sheik.

Turnip pulling at the right times is something that's harder for me, especially against Falcon and Fox. I'll make sure to pay more attention to how my opponent is moving.

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
I've never felt like turnips help in the neutral game vs Falco/Fox/Falcon. But I guess this thing called "watching people" might help.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
I don't like turnips vs Fox most of the time. If they're camping I like them to cut off certain areas and retreat zones but otherwise I tend to not use them much.

Falcon I don't know well enough to say anything useful.

I like them against Falco because throwing things at his head is cool.

Bing

Smash Master
I hate that lol. When you're waiting for the down-smash so you can uair or something the bit of lag and then you find yourself having these thoughts run through your head, next thing you know you had already jumped into said down-smash for a free 60%ish

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
You guys are such enablers. By being so bad, you allow them to get away with bad things that become habitual and hurt them severely vs good people (or just non-stupid people). Stop that.

kalamazhu

Smash Journeyman
i think using turnips are surprisingly good against falcon. It interrupts a lot of his approaches. Finding opportunities to pull them is the hard part cus they can react to ur turnip pull and what will happen is that 1) u'll get knee'd 2) u'll have time to put up ur shield or do something defensive and u'll be rushed down by a falcon with a turnip in ur hand which is a horrible situation.
Basically, imo, pull turnips when falcon is camping.

Riddlebox

Smash Journeyman
I don't like turnips vs Fox most of the time. If they're camping I like them to cut off certain areas and retreat zones but otherwise I tend to not use them much.

Falcon I don't know well enough to say anything useful.

I like them against Falco because throwing things at his head is cool.

OMG this, I always find myself habitually picking turnips against Fox between stocks then realizing it a second later...which is the reason in most matches recorded of me and fox I'd randomly throw a turnip in the air between stocks.

Against Falcon it's not such a bad thing, though if (lol "if") he gets in quick it removes your shield options. Most falcons will rush the grab between stocks so playing cross up footsies with them while holding a turnip (if you're brave) will benefit you when he overextends and you lock him down with a turnip to start your combo.

V.S. Falco, I don't think they're that useful aside from edge-guarding. It's already hard enough working with a full move-set under pressure, but a limited one is just *shivers*. I mean it's a good start for the common follow up...but in most cases if they're hit and you don't death combo them then it's all in vain.

i think using turnips are surprisingly good against falcon. It interrupts a lot of his approaches. Finding opportunities to pull them is the hard part cus they can react to your turnip pull and what will happen is that 1) you'll get knee'd 2) u'll have time to put up your shield or do something defensive and you'll be rushed down by a falcon with a turnip in your hand which is a horrible situation.
Basically, imo, pull turnips when falcon is camping.
I find it doesn't even interrupt the approaches, it's more to lock him down when you begin your pressure. A lot of his moves go through turnips once he's already started his approach. I do agree that pulling turnips is best when camping or you've knocked him away with no real follow-up because in the second case, there's a 90% chance he'll be looking to get away from you and regroup, not counter attack, so lock him down again and tear him up `-`.

Mmmmm I think my biggest habits are probably: Downsmash on platforms - moderate
Going up on platforms to try and avoid re-spawn invincibility - Pretty constant
Downsmash spam against Falco - ugh
Trying to end combos with soft bair > nair/fair - I've lost matches suiciding...just nair them and take the shallow victory ._.
Not DI'ing Fox's up-throw because I'm too focused on getting the SDI for up-air - high

and until recently I have been trying to counterattack way too much instead of just taking the chance to shift back to a neutral footsies position. I always seem to think my opponent is at frame disadvantage when we have an exchange where we trade or he's just a tinnnnny bit out of my range...I go for it then to my surprise he's up has shielded x move and is death comboing me off of what I thought to be an opportunity.

Oh, and constantly trying to attack when coming back to the stage.

Top Bottom