• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The B.C. Canada Thread

Violence

Smash Lord
So... why aren't people making pages for tournaments in the Canada main board? I got confused about whether or not there will be a tournament this weekend.

Just to be clear, I want to try and run a Swiss into bracket here, if given the choice, and if we have enough TVs.

I'll be bringing a cube, wires, two disks, two memory cards, splitters, a Dazzle, my laptop, and an external. I plan on recording matches from Winner's Semis and onward, along with any other notable matches before that(matches between two ranked players). I'll also be uploaded any recorded matches to my channel. Unfortunately, I can't get commentary working at this time, but I'm working on it. I plan on getting enough vids on there to make BC into a recognizable significant scene, and eventually doing commentary, and livestreams.

For the next tournament, I think we should make an actual thread, since it's easy for info to get lost in this one.

Let's make this tournament ****! See you all this weekend!

xXx-NoobKing-xXx

Smash Hero
So... why aren't people making pages for tournaments in the Canada main board? I got confused about whether or not there will be a tournament this weekend.

Just to be clear, I want to try and run a Swiss into bracket here, if given the choice, and if we have enough TVs.

I'll be bringing a cube, wires, two disks, two memory cards, splitters, a Dazzle, my laptop, and an external. I plan on recording matches from Winner's Semis and onward, along with any other notable matches before that(matches between two ranked players). I'll also be uploaded any recorded matches to my channel. Unfortunately, I can't get commentary working at this time, but I'm working on it. I plan on getting enough vids on there to make BC into a recognizable significant scene, and eventually doing commentary, and livestreams.

For the next tournament, I think we should make an actual thread, since it's easy for info to get lost in this one.

This is the kind of person we want in our community.

Metà

Smash Master

This is all great, and I appreciate what you're planning to do

but

doesn't swiss bracket take a long time? I've never had a tournament run that way so I have no idea how it works

Violence

Smash Lord
I'm going to be writing up a guide on how to do Swiss into bracket. Norcal needs one too.

It will factor in the time per round, which is based on the number of TVs, and how many people are there.

Also things that affect time are: Number of people, number of rounds(dependent on number of people), bracket size at end of tournament(usually top 4 or top 8.)

Diakonos

Smash Lord
I'mma let you finish, but uhhh... double elimination is one of the greatest tournament styles of all time!

G.I._JOE

Smash Journeyman

Tournament listings page is a lot popular than the Canada main board. Also Tournament listings page gets more views. Swiss style would take forever if there were a lot of people. I also assume the Swiss your talking about complements my following diagram:

# = Player

Round 1:
#1 plays #5, #1 wins
#2 plays #6, #2 wins
#3 plays #7, #3 wins
#4 plays #8, #4 wins

Round 2:
#1 plays #3, #1 wins
#2 plays #4, #2 wins
#5 plays #7, #5 wins
#6 plays #8, #6 wins

After two rounds, the standings are:
1 2-0
2 2-0
3 1-1
4 1-1
5 1-1
6 1-1
7 0-2
8 0-2

Bamesy

Smash Ace
...making interesting maneuvers in the Okanagan...

Thank you.
You'll know the rest in time.

This is all great, and I appreciate what you're planning to do

but

doesn't swiss bracket take a long time? I've never had a tournament run that way so I have no idea how it works
If you haven't tried it, it's worth trying.
Keep in mind that it'll have to be given a FEW tries, as the first few times will most likely be gong shows (given the obvious things)

I'mma let you finish, but uhhh... double elimination is one of the greatest tournament styles of all time!
LMAO
Too good Manuel.

we barely get normal tournaments done. how are we even going to try and run a swiss bracket?
It's worth a TRY so can we TRY?
Traditions should be broken sometimes, just to see.
Violence knows what's up.

Kaelen won't be entering the tournament, he's off doing his own thing...
But I'll let you know this much...
He's amazing right now...
Like...wow

Violence

Smash Lord
To alleviate some concerns, a few weeks back, I ran an impromptu swiss tournament with over 30 people on 5 TVs, 4 rounds, into an 8 man bracket. Took us around 5 hours, with quite some dawdling.

And I just know that usually people look at the region main page when they want to find tournaments in their area. Usually the Tournament listings page is for big tournaments, like regionals or nationals, afaik. Either way, there has to be a better way of announcing tournaments than in the middle of a thread like this, right?

Diakonos

Smash Lord
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=288521

My Swiss guide.

We can take a vote at the tournament, that's cool with me.

No objections to me recording and uploading, right?
It'd be wonderful if you recorded/uploaded.

If it matters, I have to leave by 5pm, so if we're starting at 11 (read: 12:30) then we might be pressed for time to do doubles and singles.

Is there a tournament going on today dedicated to my boy Get@Will? cuz its his birthday

HAPPY BIRTHDAY GET@WILL

Get@him
Why, of course this is the Honourary Get at William Tournament.

(HGWT)

Violence

Smash Lord
Whoa... a starting time of 11 - 12:30 ish is pretty normal... but we have to end at 5 pm?

I don't think I've ever been to a tournament that ended that early, I thought they usually ended around 8-10pm...

Just making sure, you need to go by 5 pm, but how long do we have the room for?

And is this 5 pm leaving time a normal thing? Or is it this time only?

Diakonos

Smash Lord
It's not a regular thing (thanksgiving, yo). And we usually don't end that early at all. Normally events go til 7, then friendlies til closing probably at 10ish.

But, if we actually START at 11am,we're in business.

[elegantly.early]

Violence

Smash Lord
Oh right, my bad. I keep forgetting this is Thanksgiving weekend here in Canada. It doesn't help that I still have to work Monday, haha.

We have from 11 am to 5 pm to run doubles and singles eh...

Mmm.... Then.... I think the best format would be to run Doubles Double Elimination Bracket at the same time as Singles 4-5 man Pools into Bracket.

This way the people who aren't playing in the Doubles Bracket can play their pools matches, and we can keep the TVs used efficiently.

I'm thinking 11 am - 12:30 pm exclusively doubles, start knocking teams out, meanwhile taking singles sign ups until noon, 12 pm make pools, 12:30 start pools matches, ater pools, bracket, hopefully finishes by 5...

Another option, depending on how long doubles takes, is to run a Swiss into Bracket so that Swiss will end by 5, then remove you from the Swiss, and have a top 8 for everyone else. If you're undefeated in Swiss, everyone can agree that you're 1st place, and we can pay you the 60% winnings, then the Bracket will be a 30% for 1st and a 10% for second.

If we're doing a method that absolutely ends the singles bracket by 5 pm, would people be up for fun free side events like draft crews, tournament draft mode, etc?

Hitsugaya

Smash Ace
Violence your to concerned about time and if things will finish on time etc. We've had plenty of tournaments where Manuel had to leave early and finished way ahead of time. Just go with the flow and enjoy yourself.
We usually hold some random stuff at the end of the tournament for anyone who is still there.

Diakonos

Smash Lord
That's true, Hitsujohnga, but having guidelines can be useful. I appreciate Eric's (violence's) commitment to planning and order.

For this tournament, I agree that we should run regular double-elimination brackets for doubles and singles.

Doubles won't take too long. If we -start- playing matches at 11, I expect the event to be finished by 12:30. As well, I think by the time winners' finals is being played, pools for singles should be organized and matches should start being played.

Pools of 4 for singles seems fine if we have 6 TVs or so-- that leaves 2 tvs at least for LF and GF of doubles.

That would leave 4.5 hours for singles. This is very doable for a tournament with 32 or less, especially if we have a committed TO and courteous smashers.

Bamesy

Smash Ace
...making interesting maneuvers in the Okanagan...
Im coming for you BC, november just wait

Im going to catch a wild sion, the Shine type pokemon
His evolved form is actually Dair type, but he still has Shine abilities.

He's actually dair type

and his ability is a laser after everything
^ That.

Speaking of November, I'm hoping to gather a strong Okanagan showing/roadtrip before RoM3 so some time in November...another tourney?

That's true, Hitsujohnga
That's true, Manliakonos

Violence

Smash Lord
The only reason I'm worried about timing is because I just don't like straight-up, plain double elimination bracket. Why? No matter how good or bad the players are, in two rounds, 1/4 of the people have to stop playing.

A tournament experience of two short sets... can be really frustrating to the people who get 2 and outed.

I've mentioned this to Norcal before: I'm pretty sure that the majority of smashers are the kinds of people who would normally go two and out.

If you always went 2 and out in a tournament, would you keep coming back? I would, and I do, but I don't think I can speak for the many people who would go 2 and out. It's very frustrating, and I think it contributes to a shrinking community.

That's why I love things like pools, amateur bracket, and Swiss. They let randoms play more games, it enriches their tournament experience, and then afterwards, they get to watch good, exciting matches in a double elim bracket anyways.

One of the problems is that alternative tournament formats usually take up more time, so I want to be careful to not take too long, but have a tournament that everyone can enjoy.

I have a bit of experience in running this kind of thing, I ran a tournament in UC Merced when we drove out there. There was a huge skill gap there, with Norcal Rankers on one end, and players who couldn't beat a Level 9 Ganon at the other. We ran a swiss, and then had an amazingly exciting bracket. 28 people, which seems like a normal sized tournament.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=241948&page=83

I don't want seem like I'm trying to impose strict rules, or weird policies, I'm new to the region, after all, I'm really looking forward to meeting you guys, and honestly, my goal is just to make the region as awesome as it can possibly be.

SKidd

Smash Master
Get@Will, I don't really know you.

Hello, Get@Will!

Sion's stats add up to 9000.

Hitsugaya

Smash Ace
We do occasionally do pools before brackets but it all depends if people get there on time. Last time people got there AT 11am. Myself and a few other actually spent the effort getting there early at 10am or so. We didn't set up until noon. So stop being late people. Im looking straight at you MANUEL! I know you were late. *glare*

And if Marvic comes with the setup for me I can record and have commentary.

Top Bottom