• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Aura is with him! - Lucario Thread

MetroLSD

Smash Apprentice
Seeing how Lucario to this very day is still the most popular non-Gen 1 pokemon, i think his chances of returing are high, i'm hoping most of his :GCA: normals are replaced by his normals from Pokken Tournament

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I'm pretty certain we have a Lucario thread....

but as I cannot find it quickly, I will say that I do wish Lucario to return, but I really hope that he and Mewtwo are given even more to visually distinguish their gameplay styles. Mewtwo in particular looks (visually, more than buff wise) underpowered.

Lucario... I just don't understand his Aura mechanic even to this day. In theory it is lovely, but the reality of it versus Rage is something that makes him stand out less as a character.

MetroLSD

Smash Apprentice
I'm pretty certain we have a Lucario thread....

but as I cannot find it quickly, I will say that I do wish Lucario to return, but I really hope that he and Mewtwo are given even more to visually distinguish their gameplay styles. Mewtwo in particular looks (visually, more than buff wise) underpowered.

Lucario... I just don't understand his Aura mechanic even to this day. In theory it is lovely, but the reality of it versus Rage is something that makes him stand out less as a character.
I checked both pages of the Switch Veterans section and couldn't find a thread for Lucario. Anywho, yeah i agree with differentiating him from Mewtwo which is why i'm hoping Sakurai will take ques from Pokken when designing the moveset for Lucario

Gune

Smash Lord
If we dont get pokken changes for Lucario (and Mewtwo) Id atleast like for lucario to go back to the visual style lucario had in brawl where he was more of tai chi martial artist style instead of just characterless flailing that he had in sm4sh. Also give a change to his Awful final smash max aura with super armour deosent mean anything in a game where everyone can run away from you and your horrible moveset.

Last edited:

RawstyleEevee

Smash Ace
NNID
RawstyleEevee
Lucario always was in Gamefreaks eyes the secondary mascot/face of the newer games and his aura mechanic makes him standout on the roster(something that is a major selling point for Sakurai.), so i'm confident he will return.

Ghirahilda

♥Smash Beauty♥
NNID
Marcelinho21
Lucario is here to stay for sure. He even apeared on the latest pokémon movie as the main pokémon of one of the protagonists

TB2

Smash Rookie
Lucario always was in Gamefreaks eyes the secondary mascot/face of the newer games and his aura mechanic makes him standout on the roster(something that is a major selling point for Sakurai.), so i'm confident he will return.
I hope so, i've been a :4lucario: main sinve brawl, basically day one since he was secretly released in SSBB, and im actually concerned about if he will stay or not, im not even joking right now, but when i play smash, im more of a 99% times played lucario, and 1% on luigi, i Literally would be destroyed if he isn't on Smash for Switch

ZagarTulip

Smash Journeyman
I want Lucario to get his Brawl Final Smash.

SSB4 ruined it for me to just give me a generic transformation with no creativity involved.
Besides so many pokemon represent Mega Evolution, so the concept is just overrepresented.

MetroLSD

Smash Apprentice
So um what are the odds Lucario could be confirmed to return this Tuesday?

Also, changed my avatar and sig c:

MetroLSD

Smash Apprentice
..And Lucario’s confirmed, i’m curious to see what they’ll do to his Final Smash as they seem to have removed all transformation-based FS’ from the game.

Last edited:

godogod

Smash Ace
..And Lucario’s confirmed, i’m curious to see what they’ll do to his Final Smash as they seem to have removed all transformation-based FS’ from the game.
Oh, you're right.. Maybe he'll get his brawl final smash back? hmmm

something important I noticed on his reveal video. His forward air combo'd into itself three times! I miss that combo from the brawl days. Hopefully its effective at high percents too.

Last edited:

Browny

Smash Hater
Oh, you're right.. Maybe he'll get his brawl final smash back? hmmm

something important I noticed on his reveal video. His forward air combo'd into itself three times! I miss that combo from the brawl days. Hopefully its effective at high percents too.
All I want is his brawl dair and nair. I see the fsmash is the same as smash 4 which is sad, but his brawl dair and nair were godlike. we only saw that it stalled momentum in the clip of peaches castle but no hint about its power or endlag.

sh nair oos in brawl was the sexiest kill move in the game.

godogod

Smash Ace
All I want is his brawl dair and nair. I see the fsmash is the same as smash 4 which is sad, but his brawl dair and nair were godlike. we only saw that it stalled momentum in the clip of peaches castle but no hint about its power or endlag.

sh nair oos in brawl was the sexiest kill move in the game.
Oh I forgot about that. Yeah his down air is really important especially.

MetroLSD

Smash Apprentice
something important I noticed on his reveal video. His forward air combo'd into itself three times!
I also noticed in the video that the first hit of the combo was initiated as a short hop attack,
FAir.gif

I can see his FAir combo being used alot this way.

Last edited:

MetroLSD

Smash Apprentice
I'm hoping his Final Smash will be along the lines of Little Mac's new Final Smash, i want something flasher than just Mega Lucario + beam

MythTrainerInfinity

Smash Champion
NNID
MTInfinity
3DS FC
2363-5671-9607
Can't wait until we get Aura percents and numbers. I plan on doing the Aura chart per usual like the last two games. The decimals makes me excited to try to get more accurate data without data mines.

The damage increase for all characters in 1v1 intrigues me. I also wonder if they'll balance Aura around that or if they keep it consistent. If so... Lucario is going to be insane (until they patch it out).

I hope the Shoryufloof combo is still in this game (Aura Sphere charge to jump canceled up smash).

godogod

Smash Ace
I hate the damage increase in 1vs1. I hope they take it out in the final build.

Browny

Smash Hater
Can't wait until we get Aura percents and numbers. I plan on doing the Aura chart per usual like the last two games. The decimals makes me excited to try to get more accurate data without data mines.

The damage increase for all characters in 1v1 intrigues me. I also wonder if they'll balance Aura around that or if they keep it consistent. If so... Lucario is going to be insane (until they patch it out).

I hope the Shoryufloof combo is still in this game (Aura Sphere charge to jump canceled up smash).
Hello again, its been a while.

Just remember to get the shieldstun on attacks and how they scale along with landing lag, those matter more than damage. So many people in brawl never knew that at high aura, fsmash and nair on block was literally unpunishable by almost the entire cast (except MK, of course). Do you have the stuff to do it? I have a 60fps capture card that can get it all within +/- 1 frame.

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
So from what I noticed in that video trailer, I noticed a few things:
  • Double team not only reappears much faster to deliver a kicking attack, but Lucario vanishes and appears in the same place. This either means that his counter-attack operates normally like this now, or it's showcasing that we can still reverse the double team direction.
  • I don't know if it's just me, but to me, when I slow down the speed of the video it looks like Lucario's charge hold animation look slightly different. Albeit was charged for only a couple of frames.
EDIT: hi everyone

Last edited:

RiotLupine

Smash Cadet
Due to SSBU hype I thought I'd log back on to my account, been years since I was last here.
It's possibly gonna be ages 'till we see another update on Lucario, at least so far he's animated really, really well.
Hoping he gets some interesting skins, and maybe a few new tools. Bone rush would be sweet.

CrowGoesCaw

Smash Journeyman
If ASC and up smash work the same way in Ultimate luc will be fine.
With the new short hop attack technique, where you short hop attack when you press jump and attack at the same time, I wonder how that affects how the up smash jump cancel. Luckily people have said you can still JC up smash somehow, but I don't know the specifics.

MythTrainerInfinity

Smash Champion
NNID
MTInfinity
3DS FC
2363-5671-9607
Hello again, its been a while.

Just remember to get the shieldstun on attacks and how they scale along with landing lag, those matter more than damage. So many people in brawl never knew that at high aura, fsmash and nair on block was literally unpunishable by almost the entire cast (except MK, of course). Do you have the stuff to do it? I have a 60fps capture card that can get it all within +/- 1 frame.
I do not have a capture card. I imagine we could probably also use HQ 60fps YouTube vids and slow them down to 1/60 to help us out as well.

I wonder if Air Walk will be back (shield an attack, rising DAir, which got more horizontal distance with better Shield DI and Shield SDI). It was in Brawl and early Smash 4, but got patched out. Back in Brawl with proper Shield DI you could punish stuff like Fox's USmash on shield.

Also, you guys better discover techs before me because I plan on naming the next Lucario tech I find something silly like Shoryufloof.

MetroLSD

Smash Apprentice
According to Smashwiki, Lucario's UpAir animation in Ultimate has been altered , with Lucario backflipping following the initial kick. When was this shown?

Boartobewild

Smash Apprentice
So from what I noticed in that video trailer, I noticed a few things:
  • Double team not only reappears much faster to deliver a kicking attack, but Lucario vanishes and appears in the same place. This either means that his counter-attack operates normally like this now, or it's showcasing that we can still reverse the double team direction.
  • I don't know if it's just me, but to me, when I slow down the speed of the video it looks like Lucario's charge hold animation look slightly different. Albeit was charged for only a couple of frames.
EDIT: hi everyone
Speaking of Double team( which is a pretty stupid name for a counter move, but I have a different name for it, which I'll get to later) this might sound random as **** at first but bear with me. With wolf returning with a new design, there were a couple of people, who noticed that wolf didn't have any tech accessory resembling a reflector, so he might get a new down-b.
My immediate response to that was; Please give him some kind of viscious counter! The rest of his fighting style already heavily reminds me of GAROU from onepunchman, all that he would need to fully embrace that role would be a move similair to the WaterstreamRocksmashing fist, like either bayo's Witchtime OR Lucario's double team. And then it hit me.

Both the WSRS fist and most of Lucario's move resemble movements from Tai-chi. However the one punch man comparision doesn't end there. If Wolf is garou, a brutal, volatile renegade, than lucario resembles a old, wise, calm guardian of peace and order. He's Bang, the hero Silverfang! Not convinced? You're saying lucario is more inspired by Goku? Well take a look at this--->

I unfortunately couldn't find a good gif of lucario's down-b, but I'm sure all Lucario mains get the idea.

Also it's pretty funny on how much opposite sides of the spectrum Lucario and Wolf fall, despite having many shared charactaristics both are humanoid, animals that prefer Hand to hand combat and both are part of the wolf Family , with one just straight up being a wolf while the other resembles a jackal( anubis). But it gets even more intresting if you put them side by side.

And now finally this---------->

I just know that'll be enjoying frequently playing these characters, so I'll probably drop by from the ganon boards here, once it get's more lively here.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Speaking of Double team( which is a pretty stupid name for a counter move, but I have a different name for it, which I'll get to later) this might sound random as **** at first but bear with me. With wolf returning with a new design, there were a couple of people, who noticed that wolf didn't have any tech accessory resembling a reflector, so he might get a new down-b.
My immediate response to that was; Please give him some kind of viscious counter! The rest of his fighting style already heavily reminds me of GAROU from onepunchman, all that he would need to fully embrace that role would be a move similair to the WaterstreamRocksmashing fist, like either bayo's Witchtime OR Lucario's double team. And then it hit me.

Both the WSRS fist and most of Lucario's move resemble movements from Tai-chi. However the one punch man comparision doesn't end there. If Wolf is garou, a brutal, volatile renegade, than lucario resembles a old, wise, calm guardian of peace and order. He's Bang, the hero Silverfang! Not convinced? You're saying lucario is more inspired by Goku? Well take a look at this--->

I unfortunately couldn't find a good gif of lucario's down-b, but I'm sure all Lucario mains get the idea.

Also it's pretty funny on how much opposite sides of the spectrum Lucario and Wolf fall, despite having many shared charactaristics both are humanoid, animals that prefer Hand to hand combat and both are part of the wolf Family , with one just straight up being a wolf while the other resembles a jackal( anubis). But it gets even more intresting if you put them side by side.

And now finally this---------->

I just know that'll be enjoying frequently playing these characters, so I'll probably drop by from the ganon boards here, once it get's more lively here.
Pretty sure you couldn't see Fox or Falco carrying their reflectors until Brawl.

MythTrainerInfinity

Smash Champion
NNID
MTInfinity
3DS FC
2363-5671-9607
Speaking with a Roy main friend of mine they already started analyzing frame data at 0.25x speed on YouTube. Roy's DAir has 19 frames of landing lag iirc not sure if that includes regular landing lag or not. Might take a look later at our stuff if Fire Emblem Heroes and Yu-Gi-Oh Duel Links don't eat up all of my time tonight.

Iridium

Smash Hero
I wonder if :ultlucario:'s alternate costumes will be more recognizable. When I say this, I mean that I don't understand the background for a certain amount of alts he has, so maybe some new ones would be fine.

Aside from that, I hope :ultlucario: becomes less dependent on aura, for it is way too stressful to score any K.O.s at low percent. In fact, I would argue no aura Lucario has worse kill power than Sheik in SSB4. A better K.O. ability at low percent would make him less stressful to use and make him feel less gimmicky.

Last edited:

MythTrainerInfinity

Smash Champion
NNID
MTInfinity
3DS FC
2363-5671-9607
If Aura Sphere charge has at least as much hitstun as Smash 4 and DSmash's hitbox is out at 18 frames or less...We should be able to combo Aura Sphere charge to Shield cancel DSmash.

If so, I dub it the "No Hugs Pawease" combo.

Edit: DSmash's hitbox out looks to be about 19 frames, which should allow it to combo from Aura Sphere charge at high Aura if it does similar hitstun as Smash 4. Also, counting landing lag... That is a couple more frames this could potentially combo. At least this should help with the Little Mac MU.

Last edited:
Top Bottom