• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The "Ask Coney" Thread!!!

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
What do you think of Addy and Isotaku? I think both of their DDD's are better / on par with Zekey.

:059:

Coney

Smash Master
Why does Dedede lose to Zelda if hes supposed to be good?
He's not! This character sucks!

What do you think of Addy and Isotaku? I think both of their DDD's are better / on par with Zekey.

Addy I've heard of but haven't really seen anything of him, thought he was just a wifi wonder. Never heard o Isotaku, but I don't really keep up with the Japanese scene at all.

It's really hard to judge international players :(

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Well, recent Isotaku videos are on youtube and I think he's pretty good now. Check out his vids vs Suinoko's Diddy!

Doc King

Smash Lord
Why does Dedede lose to Zelda if hes supposed to be good?
Because Dedede is very character dependent. Zelda has the options to actually do well because she's only slow in mobility and fast in attacks while D3 is not good with camping nor speed. Zelda can chain a lot of things against D3 and shes a lucky ***** weighing 85 so she can't get chaingrabbed, while Squirtle gets ****ed by his **** air release, Sakurai trolled Melee competitive players by not letting Puff DI out of D3's d throw despite being a lightweight, and for the rest get ****ing chaingrabbed out of D throw.

Basically Zelda is hella lucky to the point where it kind of pisses me off (But I don't really care). It looks pretty even though. There are other matchups like that like Yoshi vs Wario, DK vs Marth, etc. (For lower tier vs higher tier counters)

D3 is only good because of like beating the **** out of Wario and Wolf. Also for beating mid and low tiers so well. Basically the ultimate shutdown character.

MysteryRevengerson

IT'S A MYSTERY TO ALL
What makes you like Ness?

It feels weird, because my two favorite characters in Brawl have been Dedede and Ness and then you're in the same region and I'm all WELP

Not that it matters, I hardly play anymore.

Coney

Smash Master
What makes you like Ness?

It feels weird, because my two favorite characters in Brawl have been Dedede and Ness and then you're in the same region and I'm all WELP

Not that it matters, I hardly play anymore.
Ness fits my playstyle a lot better than DDD, to be truthful. I'm an aerial pressure player, but the reason I don't like Metaknight is because his aerials--except nair--don't FEEL strong. They're not satisfying. Everyone of Ness' aerials has an oomph to it, and they can be strung together very well. I wish Jigglypuff was better in Brawl, because I'd probably use her.

I started maining Lucas in Brawl when I first started with DDD as a second. Then someone pointed out how I occasionally lost with Lucas, but never with DDD, so I stuck with him. I put more time into Ness eventually because he was my N64 main and I LOVE the Mother series. I honestly think Ness is way better for my style, and WAY better at high-level events when you're running into top tier matchups all the time, but he's going to take just as much work and dedication as my DDD did to get to that top level.

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
Top 3 guaranteed today?

And did Danny ask you about coming to my graduation party? Yes or No to coming? I need a head count.

:018:

Coney

Smash Master
Top 3 guaranteed today?

And did Danny ask you about coming to my graduation party? Yes or No to coming? I need a head count.

I guess so! Poyo beat my DDD so I had to go Ness, too.

Maybe, when is it? Got a lot of stuff going on atm but I'd like to be able to.

:phone:

allshort17

Smash Ace
What's your favorite stage?

What made you want to play competitive smash?

What drove you to become a top player?

How did you do at the tournament you were at yesterday? There is no bracket and I didn't watch the stream so I don't know.

Coney

Smash Master
What's your favorite stage?

What made you want to play competitive smash?

What drove you to become a top player?

How did you do at the tournament you were at yesterday? There is no bracket and I didn't watch the stream so I don't know.
1) Smashville. Lot of history on that stage from training, it just feels like my "home." It's MD/VA's favorite stage by far, Chu and I always agree to SV-only matches when we play, and I'd do that with (almost) anyone else I play.

2) I played Melee casually with friends and was always the best out of them...they weren't much challenge, but I was VERY behind Melee's metagame and was intimidated by the whole thing (thought M2K, for instance, was older than me, then came to found out he's actually one or two years younger LMFAO), so I decided I would start fresh with Brawl. Lucky for me it was a LOT less technical, so I just kinda stuck with it. Just wanted to see how far I could go.

Oh and, funny story, I also saw these personal invites that VideoGameBootCamp were sending out for Brawl Til You Fall, one of my first tournaments. They sent them out to the top 5 of each character, they were these neat little graphics with the player's name and their character and stuff. I always wanted to have one of those. What's funny is that now GIMR and Aposl, the co-founders of VGBC, are two of the coolest people I've met from Smash.

4) I did okay! I got third, but I was kind of disappointed because I lost to Chu twice. The first set was really, REALLY close, with both of us at 180% for literally about two minutes on game 3, but I cracked under the pressure and hit his grounded shield with bair, a TERRIBLE idea. When we played again later in loser's finals I wasn't as focused and got 3-0'd.

Was nice to win teams though. Boss and Chu beat Inui and M2K at Xanadu only a few weeks before, so it was really nice to beat them to win teams.

Last edited:

Coney

Smash Master
How do you beat a campy Pikachu?
Same way you deal with a campy anything else...just be patient, bide your time, and take your opportunities when you can.

May 21st at 5 PM at my house.

I can't, then...I'd like to, but I have rehearsal that night I think.

But I might not! I'm only in the first act of my new show, so if it's an act two rehearsal I'll definitely be there. Sorry I can't give you a more definitive answer.

Coney

Smash Master
Why does no other Dedede do video critiques?

Also, should I keep doing them? If I'm giving flawed information then I want to stop immediately.
I mean, of course I can't speak for anyone else but, I personally don't do them because I'm very bad at technical, objective critique. Like "you should have done this or that," I'm bad at that, I only know what I would do and it's usually pretty sub-optimal.

Do what makes you happy! If you're helping people out and if they're responding positively (i.e. posting matches for you to critique), keep it up.

allshort17

Smash Ace
How would you handle characters that can projectile camp, then run away like Pka and Falco. I know you can get a uptilt when they try to phantasm/quick attack. But, there pull me in so close I can't react and I'm stuck shielding. If I sit far away trying to bait them to go pass me they just keep camping.

Also, what are some common situations MK's like to use nado in? I'm having trouble uptilting it.

dskank

Smash Journeyman
dear coney,
my name is dskank, i hope you are doing well. i would like to start this question with some polite **** riding. coney, you are da best ddd main to ever grace the sport, your fresh aggro style and awesome swallow skill is what inspired me to change mains to ddd.

now in all seriousness, i need some falco advice.
1. whats the best way to safely rack up damage until you get out of chain grab %
2. how do you handle falco when grab fails and your in close? i get destroyed by jab shenanigans.

your biggest fan
-dskank

DewDaDash

Smash Lord
I could probably answer that but you are asking coney so I'll refrain =). Im guessing your asking to beat viper lol. I 3stocked him game 3 so I'm sure he can tell you what i did ;)

Player-1

Smash Legend
dear coney,
my name is dskank, i hope you are doing well. i would like to start this question with some polite **** riding. coney, you are da best ddd main to ever grace the sport, your fresh aggro style and awesome swallow skill is what inspired me to change mains to ddd.

now in all seriousness, i need some falco advice.
1. whats the best way to safely rack up damage until you get out of chain grab %
2. how do you handle falco when grab fails and your in close? i get destroyed by jab shenanigans.

your biggest fan
-dskank

Coney why have you ignored your biggest fan, dskank? Now that you're a hollywood commentator are you too big to care about the little guy?? I'm disappointed in you

Last edited:
Top Bottom