• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The "Ask Coney" Thread!!!

Coney

Smash Master
Well, every other board seems to have one, and I've never really had a real dialogue with my fellow DDD players. I'm probably the least technical player in existence, so I can't offer frame data or any hard knowledge...but I'd still like to help the boards somehow. Matchups, mindsets, mix-ups, whatever!

I'll try to answer questions in as much detail as I can, using video examples or experiences. I promise I'll answer all questions 100%, no matter how small/stupid/personal.

Let's get this board moving again!

:phone:

Hoejja

Smash Apprentice
Great. First question : what is the point of the full hopped cancelled Dair (or w/e it's called) and how to do it ?

Kawaii Poyo

Smash Champion
Least Technical Player.

B-Reverse Swallows everything?

Explain. Don't play Dedede, but I don't care. Kirby has a Swallow too and I've never B-Reverse Swallowed (intentionally) in my life. XD

Coney

Smash Master
Great. First question : what is the point of the full hopped cancelled Dair (or w/e it's called) and how to do it ?

I'm not quite sure if I understand what you mean, but I'll try to answer!

If you mean initiating a full hop with a dair (as in, jumping dair), it's very good against spotdodge-heavy opponents, or ones with big hitboxes (:dk2: :snake: :ganondorf:).

If you mean falling with a dair in the hopes of autocancelling, it's a very good mixup opportunity. Most people will expect a fastfall airdodge, since DDD has the best fastfall in the game, so coming down with a hitbox will surprise most that are waiting to punish your airdodge. Additionally, timing this correctly and hitting with the last hit of dair will knock them away from you, allowing for a safe landing. Don't rely on this too much, people will come to expect it.

Hope that helps! :)

Least Technical Player.

B-Reverse Swallows everything?

Explain. Don't play Dedede, but I don't care. Kirby has a Swallow too and I've never B-Reverse Swallowed (intentionally) in my life. XD
It's reeeally simple to do, though. I initially learned b-reversing because it was a very simple solution to people spotdodging against me excessively, and as a mixup for me to get to the ground, as I'm an aerial player who plays a very vulnerable aerial character.

It's a very simple technique...all you have to do is press and hold B, then IMMEDIATELY press the other direction. You'll do a little bounce backwards. You can also do this in reverse (opposite direction, then B) to reverse it, but you won't get the little bounce. This is more practical for retreating, like if an MK nados you from below.

I don't think Kirby can benefit from it too much, but Chu has just recently been doing it, and admitted stealing it from me. Smart fella. :teeth:

Coney

Smash Master
1. Why are you so sexy?

2. Do you believe solo D3 (no secondaries) is feasible in the top levels of play?
1) Practice.

2) Right now, no, not at all. I just can't feasibly see a DDD ever beating top Olimar, Falco, Diddy players, at least not consistently. I wouldn't be terribly surprised to see one take a set off one of them here or there, but to actually matter in tournament you have to fight those battles repeatedly for long stretches.

It's just impractical. You can't continually fight 7-3 matchups and expect to succeed. And honestly, if you're going to pick a secondary, you're usually better off just maining them and keeping DDD in your pocket.

Jimmyfosho

Smash Hero
Being sarcastic and pointing out the obvious.
Why are cigarettes sold in gas stations when smoking is prohibited there?
Why do fat chance and slim chance mean the same thing?
If you can't drink and drive, why do you need a driver's license to buy liquor, and why do bars have parking lots?
If 7-11 is open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, why are there locks on the doors?
Why is it called a TV "set" when you only get one?
Why does an alarm clock "go off" when it begins ringing?
If the Pen is mightier than the sword, than how come actions speak louder than words?
Why the sun lightens our hair, but darkens our skin?
Why is "abbreviated" such a long word?
Why is lemon juice made with artificial flavor, and dishwashing liquid is made with real lemons?
Why is the time of day with the slowest traffic called rush hour?
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
Why don't sheep shrink when it rains?
Can blind people see their dreams and do they dream?
What hair color do they put on the driver's licenses of bald men?
Did Washington flash a quarter when asked for ID?
Why is the alphabet in that order? Is it because of that song?
Why do hot dogs come 10 to a package and hot dog buns only 8?
Did you dream last night?
Type of music you dislike most?
Is the glass half empty or half full?
Which is worse, failing or never trying?
What is the one thing you’d most like to change about the world?
If the average human life span was 40 years, how would you live your life differently?
Would you break the law to save a loved one?
What’s something you know you do differently than most people?
Favorite quote?
If you had to move to a state or country besides the one you currently live in, where would you move and why?
Do you push the elevator button more than once? Do you really believe it makes the elevator faster?
Would you rather be a worried genius or a joyful simpleton?
Which is worse, when a good friend moves away, or losing touch with a good friend who lives right near you?
Have you ever been with someone, said nothing, and walked away feeling like you just had the best conversation ever?
If you knew that everyone you know was going to die tomorrow, who would you visit today?
Would you be willing to reduce your life expectancy by 10 years to become extremely attractive or famous?
If we learn from our mistakes, why are we always so afraid to make a mistake?
Biggest pet peeve?
Favorite day of the week?
Favorite food?
What is your biggest regret?
What religion are you?
Do you believe in ghosts?
Five living people you would like to meet?
Five deceased people you would like to meet?
Did you ever have a crush on a teacher? If so what was their name?
Favorite planet besides Earth?
Most handsome singer?
Have you ever played any instruments?
What sitcom character reminds you of you?
Favorite Sesame Street Character?
If you could live the life of any character in a movie which would you choose?
If a movie was made based on your life…who would play you?
Last time you cried over a movie?
What would you do for a Klondike bar?
Do you believe in karma?
What is your blood-type?
What was the last lie you said?
What is the best compliment you have ever received?
What is the meanest thing anyone has said about you?
Who would you want to be tied to for 24hours?
What is one thing scientists should invent?
Have you ever broken a bone?
Would you ever lie to someone to make them feel good about themselves?
Who do you talk to most on the phone?
Do you have a collection of anything?
Are you happy with the person you are becoming?
Are you a different person now then you were 5 years ago?
What do you see yourself as being in 5 years from now?
favorite actor?
If you became a multi-millionaire overnight, what would you buy?
What is something about you that the general population of SWF doesn't know?
What was the last thing you bought?
Who sent the last text message you received?
How many tattoos do you have? If you don't have any, have you ever thought of getting one?
Have you memorized your social security number?
What is the last movie that you saw at the cinema?
Do you sing in the shower?
If you could have any job, what would you want to do/be?
What are your best characteristics?
Are you a morning person or a night owl?
What's the strangest talent you have?
Do you have an innie or an outtie?
What was the last thing you ever got grounded for?
Which shoe do you put on first?
Who is the last person you usually think about before you fall asleep?
If you had to choose to not ever wash your bed sheets again or not wash your bath towel ever again, which would you rather not wash?
What was your childhood nickname?
How often do you clean out your ears?
Have you ever been dared to do something you totally regretted?
What’s your favorite movie of all time and why?
Are you a spender or a saver?
Would you rather be good looking or rich?
Do you support the death penalty? Why or why not?
Would you like to know the day you’re going to die ahead of time? Why or why not?
Would you rather have the power to be invisible or the power to read minds?
Who influences you the most now?
What can you grab that is in arm's length?
Most overrated holiday?
What is the last state you would want to live in?
Why does the pizza man get to your house quicker than the police?
Why do people constantly check the refrigerator with hopes that something new to eat has emerged?
Why does the Easter Bunny carry eggs?
Why is there a light in the refrigerator but not one in the freezer?
Why do drive-in ATMs have instructions in braille?
Why do banks charge you insufficient funds when you didn't have enough money to make the purchase in the first place?
Why is the term "it's neither here or there" in existence? If it isn't here and it isn't there, where the hell is it?
Why do we say "it's cold as hell" outside?
Why do they call it a building if it's already built?

I have no shame.

Doc King

Smash Lord
I wanna ask a good question:

What do you think are D3's best to worst matchups and what are your opinions on each matchup?

Coney

Smash Master
Did you honestly think I wouldn't?

• [*]Why are cigarettes sold in gas stations when smoking is prohibited there?
    I don't know! I don't smoke!

[*]Why do fat chance and slim chance mean the same thing?
    Because fat and thin people are undesirable.

[*]If you can't drink and drive, why do you need a driver's license to buy liquor, and why do bars have parking lots?
    I don't know! I don't drink!

[*]If 7-11 is open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, why are there locks on
    the doors?

Cause sometimes they leave for emergencies!

[*]Why is it called a TV "set" when you only get one?
    Because you're getting the whole thing. A screen, an antenna, the inside stuff, any mounting equipment, all that stuff.

[*]Why does an alarm clock "go off" when it begins ringing?
    I don't know, I wish alarm clocks would "go ham" instead.

[*]If the Pen is mightier than the sword, than how come actions speak louder than words?
    Depends on if you're a sensitive ***** or not.

[*]Why the sun lightens our hair, but darkens our skin?
    Pigments and ****.

[*]Why is "abbreviated" such a long word?
    I don't know. Check a dictionary, man.

[*]Why is lemon juice made with artificial flavor, and dishwashing liquid is made with real lemons?
    I don't know! Lemons are gross!

[*]Why is the time of day with the slowest traffic called rush hour?
    Because everyone's rushing to get home!

[*]Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
    Cats don't actually eat mice! At least, I've never seen it. They always just kinda **** it up and tear it apart and stuff, but I don't think I've ever seen a cat actually eat one. Besides, what would a mouse even taste like? How would they know?

[*]Why don't sheep shrink when it rains?
    Don't they herd sheep away in bad weather? Maybe they do!

[*]Can blind people see their dreams and do they dream?
    Wow, that's...neat. Huh. That's like that old question, how do you explain a color to a blind person? HOW DO YOU?

[*]What hair color do they put on the driver's licenses of bald men?
    I think it just says "None."

[*]Did Washington flash a quarter when asked for ID?
    That's stupid and you know it.

[*]Why is the alphabet in that order? Is it because of that song?
    I think it's a safe assumption that the song came after the alphabet.

[*]Why do hot dogs come 10 to a package and hot dog buns only 8?
    So you'll buy 5 bun packages and 4 hot dog packages!

[*]Did you dream last night?
    Yes, but I can't remember it.

[*]Type of music you dislike most?
    Dubstep. EDM is my favorite kind of music and dubstep is what everyone is now associating it to be, like when people say "techno." Hate that.

[*]Is the glass half empty or half full?
    Half full.

[*]Which is worse, failing or never trying?
    Never trying!

[*]What is the one thing you’d most like to change about the world?
    Changing the work week. People having to spend a third of their life at work is silly. But then again, I guess it came about because nations are in competition and all industrious and ****, so I guess world peace is the bigger answer.

[*]If the average human life span was 40 years, how would you live your life differently?
    I'd have kids right now!

[*]Would you break the law to save a loved one?
    Who wouldn't?

[*]What’s something you know you do differently than most people?
    Play :dedede:.

[*]Favorite quote?
    I hate it when people ask me this, I've heard all kinds of cool **** but it never jumps to mind!

[*]If you had to move to a state or country besides the one you currently live in, where would you move and why?
    Australia, probably. It's...exotic and foreign, but I'd only have to learn their stupid moonspeak instead of a whole new language. And I like the accents.

[*]Do you push the elevator button more than once? Do you really believe it makes the elevator faster?
    Only once, but I do hit the "close door" button as soon as I do. I'm very impatient.

[*]Would you rather be a worried genius or a joyful simpleton?
    Joyful simpleton, I think.

[*]Which is worse, when a good friend moves away, or losing touch with a good friend who lives right near you?
    The first one. The second one happens naturally, the first is severing something without closure.

[*]Have you ever been with someone, said nothing, and walked away feeling like you just had the best conversation ever?
    Nope.

[*]If you knew that everyone you know was going to die tomorrow, who would you visit today?
    My girlfriend, my mom + sisters, and MAYBE my best friend if I had the time.

[*]Would you be willing to reduce your life expectancy by 10 years to become extremely attractive or famous?
    Yeah, definitely, to be famous. But only if that means I'd have money to go with it and live big.

[*]If we learn from our mistakes, why are we always so afraid to make a
    mistake?

If you weren't worried about making mistakes, I doubt you'd really learn anything from them!

[*]Biggest pet peeve?
    I have a ton but none really come up at the moment. :(

[*]Favorite day of the week?
    Sunday. Just feels so...relaxed and peaceful.

[*]Favorite food?
    Pasta, maybe. I love pasta. My mom makes really good beef and rice too!

[*]What is your biggest regret?
    I don't really have one. My mind tends to live in the present, and I don't really think anything absolutely terrible has happened to me just yet. Probably being such a nerd in high school, because I passed up a lot of opportunities because I was too wimpy to act on them. That, or the time I drove up to MA to visit an ex-girlfriend, having her be a complete ***-hag who had her gay friend follow her everywhere while I was there, then completely blowing up my first car on the way home.

[*]What religion are you?
    None, I guess? I think there's a higher power, but I don't think we can even come close to understanding it. Call me an optimist, but I don't think some ethereal super-being from another dimension of reality would be pissed off because I didn't know its name.

[*]Do you believe in ghosts?
    I mean, I don't DISbelieve in them. I'm pretty open-minded.

[*]Five living people you would like to meet?
    Mike Doughty (favorite artist), Jack Swagger (wrestler), David Jaffe (game designer), Daniel Day-Lewis (favorite actor), and any talent exec that could get me my dream job.

[*]Five deceased people you would like to meet?
    Hitler, FDR, Napoleon, Cobain, my step-brother.

[*]Did you ever have a crush on a teacher? If so what was their name?
    Not really...when I was 6 or 7 I grabbed a teacher's butt at an after-school daycare. I didn't even really know what I was doing, I was just dared to do it. She was cute though! Probably in her late teens or something.

[*]Favorite planet besides Earth?
    Jupiter.

[*]Most handsome singer?
    Mike Doughty, but only because he's the only dude I'd ever go gay for IN MY LIFE I ****ING LOVE HIM

[*]Have you ever played any instruments?
    I've tried, but I'm just not musically inclined. Most stuff just comes to me naturally, so I have a hard time sticking with stuff that takes enormous amounts of effort. I'm just...good at things, usually.

[*]What sitcom character reminds you of you?
    I don't watch many sitcoms, so I don't know :(

[*]Favorite Sesame Street Character?
    Kermit, if he counts? If not, Grover.

[*]If you could live the life of any character in a movie which would you choose?
    I don't know, man! People die and are in danger and **** in movies! I don't want that!

[*]If a movie was made based on your life…who would play you?
    Probably Michael Cera, that guy plays everything.

[*]Last time you cried over a movie?
    I've actually only cried at one movie ever: The Flintstones. I was like, 8, and really sad because Fred and Barney were fighting. I didn't even like The Flintstones.

[*]What would you do for a Klondike bar?
    ****ing anything.

[*]Do you believe in karma?
    Not exactly, but I think people who do bad things will eventually

[*]What is your blood-type?
    I'm not sure, but I know it's very rare.

[*]What was the last lie you said?
    Oh I don't know dude. When I was young I became a very good liar, and part of being a good liar means absolutely believing what you say, so I couldn't even tell you. That part of my brain doesn't work. Maybe it's part of being an actor?

[*]What is the best compliment you have ever received?
    I don't know, the only one that sticks out is people saying I have pretty eyes. Everything else is like, 1% of the compliments I hear.

[*]What is the meanest thing anyone has said about you?
    I'm not sure. Nobody really says anything nice or mean about me!

[*]Who would you want to be tied to for 24hours?
    My girlfriend, probably. Boring answer, right?

[*]What is one thing scientists should invent?
    A good, well-balanced Smash game.

[*]Have you ever broken a bone?
    Never!

[*]Would you ever lie to someone to make them feel good about themselves?
    All the time. See a few answers above!

[*]Who do you talk to most on the phone?
    My mom, I guess. I'm not really a phone person but my mom's a chatterbox and I love her to death so I humor her.

[*]Do you have a collection of anything?
    Video games! I collect old stuff. I have a $200 NES game (which, ironically, is a Flintstones game). I bought DuckTales 2, a pretty rare NES game, with money I got from winning three out of the four events at SiiS4. Felt good.

[*]Are you happy with the person you are becoming?
    Kind of. I'm lazy and I don't know why. I've tried to fix it but I'm just naturally lethargic and I hate it sometimes.

[*]Are you a different person now then you were 5 years ago?
    Oh yeah, definitely. And a lot of it is because of Smash, actually! Competitive gaming has taught me critical analysis, decision-making, coping with failure, etc. It's also given me an excuse to travel all around the country and talk with people I'd never meet otherwise.

I've always kind of been the best at everything I did, just coasting on natural talent. Smash taught me that at a certain level I would have to work at what I wanted, which was to be the best DDD in the world.

[*]What do you see yourself as being in 5 years from now?
    Not sure. Married. Probably a kid or two. I'd like to be working for a game company in any capacity.

[*]favorite actor?
    Daniel Day-Lewis, BY FAR.

[*]If you became a multi-millionaire overnight, what would you buy?
    First thing? Custom arcade cabinet. Put a superpowered computer in it and put every game known to man in there for emulation. That's actually something I'll be doing anyway in a few years!

[*]What is something about you that the general population of SWF doesn't know?
    I get annoyed really, really easily. I'm totally an introvert and notice the smallest flaws about people (including myself), but I don't really say anything or act on it because I don't like being a ****bag.

[*]What was the last thing you bought?
    That wasn't food? A gym membership!

[*]Who sent the last text message you received?
    My best friend Eric. He makes video games!

[*]How many tattoos do you have? If you don't have any, have you ever thought of getting one?
    I don't have any, but yeah, I've thought of a few. I want something game-related, but I hate nerds, so it would have to be subtle. I was thinking something from Oddworld (maybe the Mudokon hand), but I don't know. Apart from that, probably something to do with a wolf. Wolves mean a lot to me, it's a family thing.

[*]Have you memorized your social security number?
    Yep!

[*]What is the last movie that you saw at the cinema?
    Cabin in the Woods. It was good!

[*]Do you sing in the shower?
    Nope.

[*]If you could have any job, what would you want to do/be?
    I'd kill to be an actor. Like, not rich and famous, but just to be able to do what I love day-in day-out and get paid for it.

[*]What are your best characteristics?
    Aw man, I don't wanna brag :teeth:

[*]Are you a morning person or a night owl?
    Night, by far. That's part of the reason I hate myself for being so lazy, the whole 9-5 grind really gets on me.

[*]What's the strangest talent you have?
    I can make the bottom of my mouth jut out REALLY far, like a frog. It looks funny.

[*]Do you have an innie or an outtie?
    Innie! My stepbrother had an outie and inverted nipples and I made fun of him for it, but usually out of earshot, he was a lot bigger than me.

[*]What was the last thing you ever got grounded for?
    I'm not sure. My parents were REALLY lenient and let me live a really free childhood.

[*]Which shoe do you put on first?
    Left!

[*]Who is the last person you usually think about before you fall asleep?
    Myself. Stress.

[*]If you had to choose to not ever wash your bed sheets again or not wash your bath towel ever again, which would you rather not wash?
    Bedsheets! I wash these things like once a year LOL

[*]What was your childhood nickname?
    Didn't have one. :(

[*]How often do you clean out your ears?
    Every ****ing day, dude.

[*]Have you ever been dared to do something you totally regretted?
    Nope

[*]What’s your favorite movie of all time and why?
    The movie "Closer." It's an adaptation of a stage show and the performances are AMAZING. It takes this really honest approach to relationships and infidelity, it's hard to explain. ****ing love it though.

[*]Are you a spender or a saver?
    Saver, I guess? I only buy stuff I really want, usually.

[*]Would you rather be good looking or rich?
    RICH, but that's probably just because I'm already stuck with a long-term girlfriend. If I were lonely I might say good-looking :(

[*]Do you support the death penalty? Why or why not?
    Man, I don't care. Whatever, maaan.

[*]Would you like to know the day you’re going to die ahead of time? Why or why not?
    Nope! Imagine the stress!

[*]Would you rather have the power to be invisible or the power to read minds?
    Read minds, BY FAR. I'd be RICH.

[*]Who influences you the most now?
    It'd be weird to say nobody has ever influenced me, but I've never really followed by anyone's example.

[*]What can you grab that is in arm's length?
    A picture of me and my grandmother when I was a baby!

[*]Most overrated holiday?
    Halloween. It's not even FUN.

[*]What is the last state you would want to live in?
    Maine. ****ing hate the cold.

[*]Why does the pizza man get to your house quicker than the police?
    Cause policemen don't get tips!

[*]Why do people constantly check the refrigerator with hopes that something new to eat has emerged?
    I have NEVER done that.

[*]Why does the Easter Bunny carry eggs?
    I'm sure there's some serious long-winded explanation but I don't care. Like, bunnies don't even lay eggs, they have warmbirth. Where did he even get the eggs?

[*]Why is there a light in the refrigerator but not one in the freezer?
    Mine has a light in the freezer! It's 2012, man.

[*]Why do drive-in ATMs have instructions in braille?
    All ATMs have those! It's standard!

[*]Why do banks charge you insufficient funds when you didn't have enough money to make the purchase in the first place?
    I ****ing HATE THAT.

[*]Why is the term "it's neither here or there" in existence? If it isn't here and it isn't there, where the hell is it?
    That's the point! When someone says it, it's usually to say that something doesn't matter, right? No matter = doesn't exist.

[*]Why do we say "it's cold as hell" outside?
    I mean, hell could be a wintry tundra for all we know. Maybe they're right.

[*]Why do they call it a building if it's already built?
    What else would you call it? A build? That's a verb, stupid.

I have no shame.

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Baldwin, NY, USA or Alexandria, VA, USA (Pick one)
It's just impractical. You can't continually fight 7-3 matchups and expect to succeed. And honestly, if you're going to pick a secondary, you're usually better off just maining them and keeping DDD in your pocket.
It's funny... In Melee, Samus has arguably five 3:7 MUs (not her favor), yet I asked Duck, one of the best American Samuses right now, the same question you were asked and he said he can totally see Samus winning a national. I just thought this was slightly ironic, given your answer. :reverse:

Edit: And with that reply that you put up just before this, you have earned my lifelong respect...

Coney

Smash Master
I wanna ask a good question:

What do you think are D3's best to worst matchups and what are your opinions on each matchup?
Each matchup individually? I mean, I can write this long diatribe for each and every matchup in the game, but I don't think anyone would be interested in all that.

His five best matchups would be (not necessarily in order) : :link2:, :bowser2:, :ganondorf:, :samus2:, :lucas:

His five worst would be (THIS ONE is in order) : :metaknight:, :popo:, :diddy:, :falco:, :olimar:

It's funny... In Melee, Samus has arguably five 3:7 MUs (not her favor), yet I asked Duck, one of the best American Samuses right now, the same question you were asked and he said he can totally see Samus winning a national. I just thought this was slightly ironic, given your answer. :reverse:

Edit: And with that reply that you put up just before this, you have earned my lifelong respect...
I mean, that's great! I used to have that kind of optimism for DDD too, but I lost it over time. Now I'm somewhat of a pessimist when it comes to the character, so take what I say with a grain of salt. I'd love to see someone do it, I just think it's too difficult, personally.

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Baldwin, NY, USA or Alexandria, VA, USA (Pick one)
His five best matchups would be (not necessarily in order) : :link2:, :bowser2:, :ganondorf:, :samus2:, :lucas:

His five worst would be (THIS ONE is in order) : :metaknight:, :popo:, :diddy:, :falco:, :olimar:
Lolz, you basically put all of low tier, barring Mario, Falcon, Jiggs, and Zelda, for his five best. Do you really think Samus and Lucas are easier to beat than Mario and Falcon? I find it somewhat easier to get in on and CG Mario than Samus. As for Lucas, he's only a +2 for us on the official chart. In fact, Lucas has an easier time against us than his superior clone, who has a -3 against us. Also, Falcon is super easy to CG and gimp. In addition, I'm quite surprised that you find Falco harder to fight than Olimar. What are your reasonings for these opinions on DDD's best and worst MUs?

Coney

Smash Master
Would it be good to try to punish a spotdodge with inhale when I am grounded?
You could, but with inhale's startup lag, you'd have to predict it way ahead of time. And if you're looking that far ahead, a grab would be better in 99% of scenarios, as it'll do more damage anyway.

Lolz, you basically put all of low tier, barring Mario, Falcon, Jiggs, and Zelda, for his five best. Do you really think Samus and Lucas are easier to beat than Mario and Falcon? I find it somewhat easier to get in on and CG Mario than Samus. As for Lucas, he's only a +2 for us on the official chart. In fact, Lucas has an easier time against us than his superior clone, who has a -3 against us. Also, Falcon is super easy to CG and gimp. In addition, I'm quite surprised that you find Falco harder to fight than Olimar. What are your reasonings for these opinions on DDD's best and worst MUs?
Yeah I mean, it's hard to say what his five best are, because they're essentially all the same. Those are just my opinions, based on playing one of the best Samus and Lucas players in the country (Noid and Pink Fresh, respectively). Obviously Falcon, Jigglypuff, Mario are extremely good matchups for us also, I just think the other two are even easier.

I'm not entirely sure if Falco is easier than Olimar, to be honest. Both suck, but for different reasons. You can zone and pressure Olimar, but Falco can just illusion past you and continue camping. Falco has a hard time killing you at any percent, but Olimar can surprise you with a very early purple usmash. They're probably interchangeable, both are really hard.

Coney

Smash Master
I see. How do you normally use Waddles in general? Specifics would be nice, but basically, what's your general placement and how do set up with them to create stage control? If you have MU specific stuff, that would be awesome.
Waddles are amazing and their uses are so varied that it's extremely difficult to categorize them all here. They can rack up free damage off-stage (or force an airdodge which can make some characters dip lower than they like), act as barriers on-stage, stuff certain approaches, it's great.

Typically I use Waddles as my go-to in that awkward space where they're just out of range for ftilt and WAY out of range for grab. If you do it right, you'll usually be safe from punishment, and if you pull a gordo you can usually close right in for an attack. Usually people short-circuit and shield too much when they see gordos and will let you walk right up and grab them.

I've seen better DDDs than me at the Diddy matchup use them to block banana glidetosses, which is great.

I think Olimar and Pikachu are worse than Falco and Diddy 0_0

:059:
I mean, maybe. DDD sucks.

What´s the best way to approach Snake?
Grounded, walking at him slowly while POWERshielding everything you can. Just shielding isn't enough, it'll whittle down way too fast. If you have his back up against the wall, he's going to run out of space and will usually try to DACUS past you. Be prepared for it and powershield>grab.

What do you think of my avatar?

Very confusing!

Hoejja

Smash Apprentice
what is a powershield ?

and by full hopped cancel dair i meant a dair from the ground to a close platform, so that you can do something right after and not have the landing (long) frame time ...so how to do?

Coney

Smash Master
what is a powershield ?

and by full hopped cancel dair i meant a dair from the ground to a close platform, so that you can do something right after and not have the landing (long) frame time ...so how to do?
Powershield is shielding the move immediately as it connects, rather than just holding shield and getting hit by it. Some people call it perfect shielding. It gives you frame advantage and doesn't consume any of your shield.

By your description there, I'd still say I'm a little confused. I'm going to assume you mean platform cancelling, since you're from Europe and all Europeans love it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKf935ITPAI

Do you mean like what the Falco is doing in that video?

If so, it's really useful for DDD. Reason being, if you're above DDD and on a platform, your first instinct is always to shield. All of his aerials are easily telegraphed and slow, meaning you can punish them on block, and his inhale has such startup that you can usually roll around it.

If you jump right up in their face, though, you can punish them for shielding by grabbing them out of it before they have a chance to react. I don't really do it myself, but I know it's really good.

Doc King

Smash Lord
Each matchup individually? I mean, I can write this long diatribe for each and every matchup in the game, but I don't think anyone would be interested in all that.

I mean, that's great! I used to have that kind of optimism for DDD too, but I lost it over time. Now I'm somewhat of a pessimist when it comes to the character, so take what I say with a grain of salt. I'd love to see someone do it, I just think it's too difficult, personally.
Not bad. Although I find Mario, DK, Jigglypuff, PT, and Ness just as bad as these characters.

I think Olimar should be like the 3rd one. Olimar sucks so bad. We can't shield nor block anything with Waddle Dee throw. Falco we have some hope, but still sucks. Olimar is a freaking nightmare.

Another good question: Do you think D3 has any kind of potential? I always find that he has technical stuff for him like Buffered Pivot grab and other stuff like AT's I've found. Although certain matchups D3 is pretty limited so it's debatable.
I think Olimar and Pikachu are worse than Falco and Diddy 0_0

Diddy is better than Pika. Diddy's camping game is much more powerful and Pika can't kill as well as Diddy. Falco>Pika too.

allshort17

Smash Ace
I need help with gimping. I often do get them offstage, however I can't seem to keep them off and get the gimp. If I go after them, they usually get around me somehow and now I'm offstage. If I stay too close to the ledge while they are recovering high, they just go right by me and if i'm too far then they just grab the ledge. After they grab the ledge, i have someways to keep them off (ftilt, dtilt, run up and grab them if they try to drop off, grab there get-up, pivot grab their roll, ect) but they still just get back on. So, anwser these questions:

*How would I try to gimp someone recovering low? I know I should grab the ledge if possible, but when should I try to stage spike them if needed?

*If I do grab the ledge, but they recover high enough to get back onstage then how should I get them back off?

*What are some good baits and set-ups to make people recover low?

*Do you know how good a pumble release is for setting up gimps?

*Last, what are common mistakes that Dededes make when trying to gimp?

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
What does a daily life of Coney entail?

I also find it ironic you hate the cold, but main a penguin.

:018:

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
Have you ever teamed with Boss?

I'm teaming with Yoshq this weekend for a relatively nice sized tournament this weekend. I know the basics but any advice you have to offer about the :luigi2: / :dedede: team would be awesome.

Coney

Smash Master
Another good question: Do you think D3 has any kind of potential? I always find that he has technical stuff for him like Buffered Pivot grab and other stuff like AT's I've found. Although certain matchups D3 is pretty limited so it's debatable.
Well, I do think DDD honestly has a very high skill ceiling, what with all of his extremely technical ATs and stuff. But even if someone perfected all of them, I don't think they'd be able to beat players of bad matchups on a similar level. I will say if an EXTREMELY technical DDD ever comes around in Brawl's lifetime, he will turn heads. I don't think he'll win a national or anything, but I could totally see a DDD take top 8 at a national if he was just THAT damn good. I hope to see it.

*How would I try to gimp someone recovering low? I know I should grab the ledge if possible, but when should I try to stage spike them if needed?

*If I do grab the ledge, but they recover high enough to get back onstage then how should I get them back off?

*What are some good baits and set-ups to make people recover low?

*Do you know how good a pumble release is for setting up gimps?

*Last, what are common mistakes that Dededes make when trying to gimp?
1) If someone's recovering low, stay pretty high above them. Your fastfall is VERY quick and you might be able to catch them offguard. And what's great is, if you fastfall fair, they'll usually airdodge THROUGH you and INTO the fair for a stage spike kill. fair/bair mixups are a huge untapped resource for DDDs I think, because one is hella easy to airdodge and the other punishes airdodges hard.

2) Jump off the ledge, I'd say. His jump off the ledge is very, very high, so you can usually hit them with an aerial on your ascent.

3) I'm not sure. You can throw a Waddle to force an airdodge, but I've met a lot of people that take the hit and sacrifice ~7% for the height to return back to the stage. Most people will recover high against DDD typically, it's just one of those things you just DO against him.

4) VERY! It depends on the character, but against spacies in particular, pummel releases are extremely powerful. I can't give particular examples to be honest, as they're all pretty situational. I can tell you that pummel release > run off bair is a neat gimmick.

5) I think most DDDs are too aggressive offstage. Like, they think they're in an absolute position of power and get knocked back by an opponent aerial. I do this myself all the time, it's just something to be aware of. Just because you've got them off the stage doesn't mean they can't hit you.

What does a daily life of Coney entail?

I also find it ironic you hate the cold, but main a penguin.

Work, gym, home, League of Legends, sleep. My life's hella boring lately, especially since I've lost my passion for Brawl. Rehearsals for my new play start Monday, though. I'm a cowboy!

I ****ing HATE the cold. Like, serious. Can't stand it. I shiver at, like, 55 degrees.

Have you ever teamed with Boss?

I'm teaming with Yoshq this weekend for a relatively nice sized tournament this weekend. I know the basics but any advice you have to offer about the :luigi2: / :dedede: team would be awesome.
I've teamed with him before! We were pretty successful, but we never really teamed at anything huge before.

Make sure your partner knows who you can and can't chaingrab, that's the biggest thing. Last thing you want to do is have a miscommunication on whether or not you're going to dthrow the person you're holding or not. If they can be cg'd, it's better to dthrow them into his upb. If they can't, just hold onto them. Make sure your partner KNOWS THE DIFFERENCE.

i'm talking about this : http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=304980

I did not get if it was related to platform cancelling,i guess so...
Oh, my mistake then!

To be honest, Tech went into way more detail than I ever could and that thread is an excellent resource. It's one of those things I do without really thinking about it, so I couldn't give you specific examples or anything, but Tech's thread is great for the particulars.

Doc King

Smash Lord
Not that it's that important but I'm pretty sure that you can d throw Jigglypuff into Luigi's up b because Jigglypuff can't DI, which means Jigglypuff can't just DI down and tech the other way. Although you would need to do it before Jigglypuff touches the ground because she can either tech it or air dodge to escape.

You can also do things like air releases on certain characters and ground release on Ness and Lucas. The Squirtle air release would be good because you can ground up b with Luigi.

Coney, what do you think are D3's best partners for teams and what do you think about D3 in doubles?

Edit: Another Question: Who do you think are the 5 best D3's in the world?

Wumbo105

Smash Ace
Coney, why don't you commentate more?

I watched the stream of the last Xanadu tourney, and I really enjoyed the small amount of time you were on the mic. You should definitely do it more often, it's oh so difficult to find good commentators...

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
Seagull is going in right now and backing it up with some interesting facts. Do u think that MD/VA can beat Florida in a crew battle? lol
Well I do try to back up my claims with evidence. If I just said Md/Va would beat Fl without any evidence then I'd sound like a blabbering fool. Just so happens most of the sets I mentioned are also on youtube :bee:.

Coney

Smash Master
Coney, what do you think are D3's best partners for teams and what do you think about D3 in doubles?

Edit: Another Question: Who do you think are the 5 best D3's in the world?
1) Metaknight is his best partner, but that's a given. Tornado gets DDD out of so much bull****. Wario's good, if you can find a good one. Lucas is a great teammate too. I'd say one of his worst is Snake, to be honest. It sounds pretty good on paper but then you get offstage and neither of you can save one another, it's yucky.

2) I'd say

1. Me/9B (9B is a way better PLAYER and probably better DDD but idgaf, it was one of my life goals to be the best in the world at SOMETHING and I WAS CLOSE ENOUGH)
1. Me/9B
3. 4GOD
4. Atomsk
5. Zekey

Skelerex might be up there too but I've only seen one of his videos, so I'm not sure.

Coney, why don't you commentate more?

I watched the stream of the last Xanadu tourney, and I really enjoyed the small amount of time you were on the mic. You should definitely do it more often, it's oh so difficult to find good commentators...
Honestly, and complete real talk here, I kind of lost my drive once I wasn't asked to commentate APEX2012. I understand I was kind of out of the scene at that point, but I would have loved the opportunity to do it, and I felt like I had the ability/knowledge to do so. I take a lot of pride in what I do, and I REALLY hate doing things when I'm not wanted, so I only do it now if I feel 100% comfortable/am asked to.

But I appreciate your concern! :)

What workout routines do you partake in?

Nothing too strenuous. 15 minutes on elliptical with 30 minutes of lifting 3 times a week, and hour-long sessions on elliptical twice a week. I'm trying to lose weight because while I realized I was getting fat (before I was in the Smash community I was rail-thin LOL), I never realized how bad it'd gotten.

Fun fact: I can't run for long periods of time because I was born knock-kneed and still have pretty bad leg problems. Next time we're at a national, ask to see me run. You'll laugh!

Seagull is going in right now and backing it up with some interesting facts. Do u think that MD/VA can beat Florida in a crew battle? lol
Not now, I don't think so. We've kind of died out. I don't have passion for the game as much as I used to, June is inactive, Lie and Logic are hella inconsistent, Boss is Boss, etc. Chu's still incredible but I mean, he's Kirby, there's always the chance of him being gayed out.

I think we'd keep it close and might have a shot at pulling it out, but I don't think we'd win, no. Then again, I don't know how active FL is. Maybe they're just as dead...

Kite0692

Smash Journeyman
Why nobody uses ledge grab release? I think it´s pretty good because it can set some gimps and its a very favorable position. What do you think?

clowsui

Smash Legend
how do you forget to mention NEO in your list of retirees? haha

anyways if i have another regional will you come? <3

Coney

Smash Master
Why nobody uses ledge grab release? I think it´s pretty good because it can set some gimps and its a very favorable position. What do you think?
It's great against some characters, not so good on others. On Link and Ganon, air releasing them is actually a free kill (they get put into a 50/50 where they have to use their second jump early or late, and if you guess right their stock is gone). On Fox, air releasing FORCES him to use his second jump, but his recovery is usually good enough to get back.

There's a use for ledge grab release for every character, but you have to consider your options every time. Sometimes it's better just to take the free percent damage.

do you play another video games ? and which ones ?
Tons! I have a HUGE video game collection. I collect stuff from NES onward, and own a few games worth several hundred dollars. Right now I'm playing Awesomenauts (don't really like it). I play League of Legends a lot nowadays.

It's hard to say what my favorite games of all time are, but the ones that jump to my mind IMMEDIATELY are Banjo-Kazooie, Yoshi's Island, Silent Hill 2-3-4, and Mother 3.

how do you forget to mention NEO in your list of retirees? haha

anyways if i have another regional will you come? <3
I never really was around for NEO's dominance, honestly, so he's always just out of my frame of mind. I acknowledge he was a b34st but I wasn't really around for it, by the time I came in the scene he would show up, win a tourney, then leave again.

I'll definitely try to! Not hosting one Easter weekend will certainly help your chances!

Top Bottom