• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The "Ask ChuDat" thread!

Kawaii Poyo

Smash Champion
Hey Chu!

I have another question and I'm dead serious about it too.

Can you convince me to drop MK and play solely Kirby?

The main reason I play MK lately is because I can pressure as well as be safe (if I'm not safe, I'm overcommiting or mis-spacing) and bait people into doing something I can beat. Is it possible to do this with Kirby? If so, I'd rather main him as he's my favorite character and... That's actually about it actually. XD

But yeah, can you give me some pressure tips as Kirby? If I can implement the same or a similar pressure game I have with my MK as Kirby, I'd drop my MK in a heartbeat.

Gh0st.

Smash Rookie
Chu, what do you think are the top 5 priorities a Kirby main must learn/practice? Also, what's the best way to play against Ice Climbers as Kirby? Should I just practice using my secondary (Peach) against them?

MikeKirby

OTL Winrar
Chu, what do you think are the top 5 priorities a Kirby main must learn/practice? Also, what's the best way to play against Ice Climbers as Kirby? Should I just practice using my secondary (Peach) against them?
Here ya go, man. Chu has already said a few things on the IC's

Against Ice Climbers, you should pick up Ice Climbers. Here's some tips that will give you the edge.

1. Forward b is really good against them. Sets them up for up air combos. You can also wait for their airdodge and down smash them for 40%.
2. Jab is really good to space your self and give your self some breathing room
3. Grab with popo and smash with nana at high percent. You don't need to learn chain grab tricksies but it would be good if you did for lower percent kills.*
4. Chaingrabbing both of them is possible at low percent. Downthrow --> downthrow --> downthrow -->
5. If they camp with blizzard, wait for their blizzard, jump, and blizzard them.*
6. Forward smash is really good to catch their side b recovery.

Here's a video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYR_GZiLJ94*
8 minutes in

If you don't want to pick up Ice Climbers, then here are a few things you can do to Ice Climbers.

1. Don't back air
2. If you know they will shield, inhale and immediately spit them out. They can't grab you while you are holding someone in your mouth.
3. Perfect Forward airs. You can use forward air on them, but make sure they have no lag. An easy way to do this is to slide from the A button to the X or Y button. Go in, then out.
4. Camp
5. Ledge camp with Up-Bs
6. If you manage to get an up-tilt on them at an early percent, follow up with back air. They'll probably air dodge at this point so you should either down smash or forward smash.*
7. Space*

If you follow those steps, it should make the match-up easier for you.*
Ice Climbers

Ok, so the last time we left off was the Ice Climbers match-up. Here are some more random thoughts about it.

- If you separate them and you see Nana coming your way, charge a forward smash to kill her. Nana will always try to run towards Popo if separated. If Popo is on the left side of the stage and Nana is on the right, she'll most likely run across the stage to be with Popo again. If you see Nana running towards you, charge a smash attack and kill her.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RjG0Khgjis
@1:48

- Spaced back airs out range most of Ice Climbers moves but don't abuse it because IC's can power shield back airs pretty easily which leads to a grab.

- If you grab Popo (the main one), then you should down throw. Down throw will not only hit Popo but it'll hit Nana as well, and it's the throw that is least punishable. If you grab Nana, you should probably pummel until she breaks out so you don't get grabbed. Pummeling will also hit the main one.

Advanced: If Popo is behind you and you grab Nana, try your best to not get punished. Noob IC players will probably do a dash attack, so down throw so it hits Popo as well. If you're fighting a good ice climber player, then up throw so he can't grab you (you will take damage here, but it's better than being 0-death).

- Don't use laggy moves that could get you punished by a 0-death. (Dash attack, ect..). - If you somehow separate them, make sure you kill nana if you can, but watch out for popo. (If nana is in the air, get her with an aerial hammer. Back air is good too)
It'd be nice if our fellow mod could put some if his answered questions in the OP. :)

:phone:

Gh0st.

Smash Rookie
Heyy, thanks lol idk if I wana pick up IC's but I guess it won't hurt training with them a bit. Oh, and yes, It would lol

Xnpio

Smash Cadet
ChuDat! :D

Most important things about the Snake matchup?

I find it to be suuuper difficult, and I see it as a matchup that Snake should win unless he plays really badly / doesn't think at all.

ChuDat

Smash Master
Hey all! It's time for an update!

Hey Chu!

I have another question and I'm dead serious about it too.

Can you convince me to drop MK and play solely Kirby?

The main reason I play MK lately is because I can pressure as well as be safe (if I'm not safe, I'm overcommiting or mis-spacing) and bait people into doing something I can beat. Is it possible to do this with Kirby? If so, I'd rather main him as he's my favorite character and... That's actually about it actually. XD

But yeah, can you give me some pressure tips as Kirby? If I can implement the same or a similar pressure game I have with my MK as Kirby, I'd drop my MK in a heartbeat.
Pressure? haha that's my specialty! You want to learn frame traps with Kirby. For example, if you see a diddy kong trying to recover from the air, he'll probably air dodge to get beneath you. You should up air (which will force the air dodge), then back air him out of his air dodge. There's a lot you can do with inhale too!

Good characters you can pressure are Wario and Snake. Wario is big and he can be predictable. You out range him too! Snake hates being in the air so grab him whenever you can and keep him in the air with forward throw. Back air him as he is trying to recover.

The main thing to do with pressuring is predicting where the opponent is going to land and grab him as he lands. The opponent will sometimes land with an attack, so powershield and grab! Powershielding and downsmashing (especially against DDD) is really good too, and has helped me in a few situations!

You HAVE to learn the back air timing. You have to grab more. Jab grab is good. Forward tilt is good. Neutral air can be good. Up air is AMAZING for keeping people in the air! It has a lot of range and can out range a lot of moves (Wario down air, Olimar blue and red pikmin down air, Luigi down air, Mario down air, Metaknight down air (this is tricky, but if you get it down it really helps. Hint: predict his jump), Kirby down air, ect.

Good luck!

ChuDat, do you have any tournaments that you are planning to attend in the near future?
Hmm I might be attending a tournament in Florida, maybe something in Orlando. Don't get your hopes up!

5. Inhaling peoples shields (not hard. Get people into the habit of shielding your back airs. Then when they think you are going to back air, inhale instead.)
4. Powershield/Forward tilt. You want to power shield attacks like DDDs forward tilt or Metaknights double down smash so you can punish with something like a grab. Forward tilt is good against people who try to out space you on the ground like Metaknight or Yoshi.
3. Upair! Learn the timing for upair, learn the range of upair, and learn how to keep opponents in the air!
2. Grab... Kirby's grab is probably one of the best in the game behind DDD. Learn to shield grab!
1. Back air. This is his best move. Again, learn the timing and range. This is very important because back air will give you the advantage in most match-ups and will help you win against most characters. Go into practice mode and practice short hop, back air, fast fall... over and over until you get the timing down. Then, try to run, short hop and turn around, back air, fast fall, then run away. You really want to learn and practice this!

Here ya go, man. Chu has already said a few things on the IC's

It'd be nice if our fellow mod could put some if his answered questions in the OP. :)

Thanks MikeKirby!

ChuDat! :D

Most important things about the Snake matchup?

I find it to be suuuper difficult, and I see it as a matchup that Snake should win unless he plays really badly / doesn't think at all.
It's not too bad until you fight top level snakes. You mainly want to keep Snake in the air with grabs. Watch for his b reverse, then grab him.

If he doesn't approach, you can take his power.

Probably the most important thing is edgeguarding. You can do about 50% by keeping snake off the stage. Use back airs and hammers.

Kill snake by waiting for him to air dodge into the stage and forward smash him! If he b reverses, follow him and upsmash! If he lands with an attack, power shield and forward smash!

If he's camping with grenades and you can't get his power, you can wait for mistakes and punish with back air (float in the air so his grenades can't hit you). Snake should get frustrated and will try to be aggressive.

Don't get hit by forward tilt. If you do, smash DI inside of him and punish. Watch out for his up tilt! He'll try to hit you with it when you are at about 100%. Remember to DI if you get hit! (DI away and down air!).

If you can inhale him and if you have enough time to walk off the stage, do that. Snake will release then you can back air him and possibly gimp him! Try back air into inhale out of the cypher at low percents. This should kill snake.

When Snake is recovering with C4, you can footstool him for a KO. If he doesn't die with the foot stool, hit him with the second part of the aerial hammer after the footstool.

When you get his power, count. It's exactly 4 seconds until his grenade explodes. Pull a grenade, start counting, drop the grenade with shield, pick up the grenade, then throw when you say 4!

If Snakes comes back onto the stage with an attack, you can pull a grenade and shield so that snake gets hit and you take no damage.

Don't roll into his forward smash!

If you grab the ledge and snake is right near the ledge, inhale him. Spit him under the stage and upair him. Snake should die if you do this when he's at about 40%.

This should make the match-up more even for you!

Hey chu, are you going to whobo?
Probably not, sorry :/. I'll be at Apex 2013 though!

Xnpio

Smash Cadet
Awesome, thank you for the tips, Chu! Going to IESmash this weekend, big Pacific Northwest regional, gonna do my best!

How should Kirby play against ROB?

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
oh wow. Theres an apex qualifier in Orlando in september actually, if you happen to be down here :laugh:

pidgezero_one

((((((((((( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) gotta go fast!
NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
Dear ChuDat,

When you coming back to Canada and housing with me again? :p

rrrgfgn

Smash Rookie
Hey ChuDat! Thanks for helping us kirbys out!

Sorry to sound like a noob, but is there any setting i can change to make performing a SH easier? Or is it just practice practice practice? I'm finding SH Bair FF really awesome when i don't accidentally full hop.

Snow Shard

Smash Journeyman
Indeed, ChuDat needs to come back to Canada! Serious Question though. Apex is coming up, and a very interesting part of Apex would be teaming with out of country players. So My question for you Chu is what kinda characters should a Kirby main wanna team with, and what are some of there any gimmicks? I know abit about this stuff but not enough.

King of Hoboz

Smash Journeyman
Hey ChuDat! Thanks for helping us kirbys out!

Sorry to sound like a noob, but is there any setting i can change to make performing a SH easier? Or is it just practice practice practice? I'm finding SH Bair FF really awesome when i don't accidentally full hop.
Its a matter of tapping the jump button and releasing it quicker, really. That one really is going to be a matter of practice over config, in my opinion.

flathletics102

Smash Rookie
Sorry if this is not the thread to ask this. But Chu I am having terrible trouble with an arrow spaming pit. I try to maintain contact with him so he cant camp but he just is too fast and will run to the other side of the stage as I get to his side. Any help? Thanks!

MikeKirby

OTL Winrar
Chu is pretty much on hiatus. He'll appear in the brawl scene on a random occasion when he wants to but he's probably not gonna be visiting the Kirby boards anytime soon, if at all. Anyway, I'd advise if anyone wanted to ask a question to please direct your questions in the generic Kirby Question and Answer/Helpful Thread Directory

Now to answer your question:

Vs a campy Pit
First and foremost, maintain a cool head. Frustration can cause you to make rash and poor decisions. Just take a deep breathe and try to access the situation in a calm collected manner. It's easier said than done for some people but it's a very important thing to always do. Second, I'd say to try to practice powershielding the arrows. If you can't do it consistently then mix up your evasions by jumping and crouching. This makes it so that the Pit now has to now aim and predict where to shoot and you'll take less damage. Once you're withing striking range don't run in and attack/grab. That's the obvious choice and Pit will avoid it. Instead you'll want to bait out a reaction and take notice of it. Does he past you? Does he jump? Does he side-B? Does he roll? Once you see what happens try to react to it and punish it. If you can't punish it at least take note of what option he took and try to make him do it again.

Anyway, I don't know if it'll help but here;

Luckay (Pit) vs Chu Dat (Kirby)

flathletics102

Smash Rookie
I see, thank you for the help. I will try and work on my powershielding as well as trying to take a more calculated approach. Thanks!

SmileyStation

Smash Journeyman
what do you think sakurai could change to make kirby an overall stronger character? I personally feel that his base movement speed is too slow in the air and on ground compared to many characters. Also all of his smashes are far too punishable on block. Its been a while since i posted on here but i plan on making a few vids for the upcoming game.

Jackson

Smash Lord
I see you haven't responded in a while, Chu, but hopefully you can answer. My brother and I are both big fans of yours, and your throw combos inspired him to pick up Kirby. We're both good players, and we want to get into doubles (even though Brawl is kinda dead right now). Earlier, in a list of characters you like to team with, you mentioned that you like Marth because of cool combos. Well, I main him, and I'm good with the character. So, how do you like to play teams with Marth as a teammate, and what combos can you do? Thanks Chu!

ChuDat

Smash Master
Thanks for the questions guys!

Smileystation - I think Kirby could use a projectile. He has a lot of trouble against players with long range and could use longer feet as well lol. Another kill move would be nice as well!

Jackson - Ok it's been so long since I've teamed with Marth but here are a few combos!

1. If Marth does a down throw, that will send the opponent behind him. You should hit him with a Kirby back air to "follow up" the down throw! Same goes with Forward throw and back throw. You should practice with your brother on a computer :).

2. Same thing as above, but a harder punish would be aerial hammer.

3. If Kirby does a down throw, Marth should position himself right above Kirby and use an aerial attack! (Up, down, back, neutral, forward air). Same with his other throws

Hope that helps :)

Jackson

Smash Lord

Jackson - Ok it's been so long since I've teamed with Marth but here are a few combos!

1. If Marth does a down throw, that will send the opponent behind him. You should hit him with a Kirby back air to "follow up" the down throw! Same goes with Forward throw and back throw. You should practice with your brother on a computer :).

2. Same thing as above, but a harder punish would be aerial hammer.

3. If Kirby does a down throw, Marth should position himself right above Kirby and use an aerial attack! (Up, down, back, neutral, forward air). Same with his other throws

Hope that helps :)

Thanks Chu! We'll try those out.

Top Bottom