• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The "Ask ChuDat" thread!

ChuDat

Smash Master
Hello all!

I've been lurking the Kirby boards for quite a while now but I've never really posted in it. Well, today, that's changed. I'm here to help out all my fellow Kirby users!

Ask away!

Kappy

Smash Ace
NNID
SwagTrain
3DS FC
2964-9085-1107
Cool to see you here, Chu! LOL. Thoughts on Inhale?

D

Deleted member

what's the best way to abuse kirby's small auto-crouch thing when he lands during an aerial? it's a built-in defensive aspect that seems to get ignored a lot. i think it could be abused much more than it is?

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
How'd you figure out that :kirby2: can crouch under the middle of :zerosuitsamus:'s Dash attack and uncrouch to avoid it completely? I lol'd in that one vid I saw you do it (Vs NR or Snakeee...I forgot who. I think at P5?)

:018:

:phone:

ChuDat

Smash Master
How'd you figure out that :kirby2: can crouch under the middle of :zerosuitsamus:'s Dash attack and uncrouch to avoid it completely? I lol'd in that one vid I saw you do it (Vs NR or Snakeee...I forgot who. I think at P5?)

:018:

I think I learned that from reading around the kirby boards lol. It works pretty well against zero suit.

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Glad to see you back Chu! And holy crap, posting in the Kirby boards. What made you want to post here? :O

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
We've been kind of stuck for a while, so that'd be some good help. If anything, you can stop by the social, since that's where most of us spend our time these days anyway.

Shadocat

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3737-9651-3260
Oh....... my.......... lawdy......

In.... the presence........... of the almighty Kirby god.........

ChuDat

Smash Master
Kewwky - Sure! I'll stop by and say a few things here and there :)

Shadocat - xD

MikeKirby - Here's my opinion on Kirby's match-ups.

Kirby:
<MK
<Snake
=Diddy Kong
=Falco
=Wario
<Olimar
<IC's
<G&W
<Rob
=ZSS
=DDD
=Pikachu
<DK
>Lucario
>Marth
>Toon Link
>Fox
>Wolf
>Luigi
>Peach
>Ness
>Lucas
>Everyone else

Kappy

Smash Ace
NNID
SwagTrain
3DS FC
2964-9085-1107
I like that MU spread. LOL. On the topic of MU's - Meta Knight is a matchup that most Kirbies have mixed opinions about. Some Kirbies really 'get' it, others (myself included) find it extremely hard.

With that in mind, what are your thoughts on the MU? Is there something that really helps Kirby against MK?

ChuDat

Smash Master
Yes :).

Against MK at 0%, I forward throw to up-air then stop since the full gonzo combo doesn't work anymore. The MK is usually at about 14% here. Then, the MK runs away and down airs or something. I grab again and downthrow --> uptilt --> upair. You have to buffer the up-tilt for it to work.

This usually works about 90% of the time. 10% is my own error.

Here are some tips -
1. Kirbys back air beats MKs forward air when MK doesn't space correctly (which 90% of MKs don't, so abuse this.)
2. Kirby can up air MK when he's in the air, trying to down air you. I find this to be the best position for Kirby against MK.
3. Run up and shield. Shield the forward tilt, then grab.
4. If the MK is aggressive/smart, he'll try to run at you. If you see this, walk towards him and grab him immediately. It's pretty good.
5. Punish tornado with forward smash.

These are a few tips against MK. There's a lot more but I'll save them for later. Hope this helps!

Kmatt

Smash Journeyman
Doing flying chaingrabs across southeast PA
I think the DK MU is bad because DK's tilts all have really good range, his Bair is comparable to ours in terms of usefulness, and he can do a lot of grab-->throw followups. He takes forever to die (though can be gimped if hit correctly), and can land kills really easily.

But that's just my take. I'll let Chu handle the more valid-sounding explanations.

As for my question: What makes you feel R.O.B. is unfavored? Is it just a 55-45 relationship, or have the R.O.B. mains found a few new tricks since I've been gone?

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
It's only a slight advantage to ROB because of all his excellent spacing options. He has something he can do at any given range and it's usually disjointed and fast. ROB lacks in true KO potential, so that's something Kirby has going for him in the match-up.

Hey Chu, what's your favorite Kirby game? :D

Sarix

Smash Ace
Hey Chu how would you handle the Toon Link and Pikachu MUs? I have an idea to how it goes on paper but I can't seem to get either well when I'm playing.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Choo, what inspired you to main Kirby shortly after Brawl's release (I think you've answered this before but I forgot) and why have you stuck with him for so long? He's fairly average, and I feel like someone of your level could have had a lot more success in the big tournies with a better character.

Also, why do you think Kirby beats Marth? I always feel like it's a major uphill battle against good Marths.

And hell, since it's my worst personal matchup, wtf to do against Diddy Kong?

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
What combo rankings should be most accurate on each and every character?

Whith lucario, I can only fgrab and uair, I can't utilt because he's out of reach from the hitbox.
So I was guessing which combos are the right ones for each character in order to make things more smoother.

ChuDat

Smash Master
Sage Jowii -
DK out ranges Kirby. Plain and simple. Also, he can kill at 60% with a small mistake and it takes kirby to get a DK to 200% for him to die.

Shadocat -
Kirby goes even with falco because both characters have a 0-50% chain grab on each other. If you can get falcos laser, that makes the match almost 100% even because both falco and kirby will have about the same range.

I think kirby beats toon link because of my experience. On paper, Toon link probably beats kirby because he can just run away shooting projectiles. But I don't know, I manage to beat Toon links 100% of the time ( which is mainly why I think it's in Kirbys favor). TL probably has a harder time killing kirby than kirby does with TL. Also, Toon links airdodge is pretty slow and predictable.

Kmatt -
I think Rob is only 55 - 45 with Kirby because Rob out ranges kirby. Also Robs forward tilt > Kirby. It's hard to get in.

Timmy -
Nightmare in dreamland on GBA =D. Kirby super star ultra is really good too.

MK26 -
Wario's forward B is overpowered and should be changed/removed/weakened. Overall, it's a pretty fun game. I'll talk more about it another day.

Sarix -
I talked about TL already. Pikachu is tough but Kirby has grab combos on him which makes it even. They both have about the same range, except for Pikachus forward smash out ranges anything kirby has (but it's slow). It might be in Kirby's favor if only if I knew how to DI the down smash lol. Can anyone teach me? I don't know too much about pikachu though since I've only played like one pikachu player (esam), and that was only one time. But yeah, like I said, Pikachu has about the same range as kirby so I would imagine the match-up is even.

Hey guys, I'm running out of time, I'll answer the rest later.

Wumbo105

Smash Ace
Awesome, been waitin for this day for a while.

Well similar to Asdioh, I have a huge problem against Diddy Kongs...ive been fighitng GDX in both friendlies and tournaments, and i just feel helpless.

Also, any tips for the ICs matchup? I mean i know you're supposed to not get grabbed, but its near impossible to avoid getting grabbed at all for the entire match, and a single grab is pretty much 1 less stock for u.

As for the Pikachu d-smash (which im not totally sure if you're serious about lol), what i usually do is hold up on the analog stick, and mash up on the c-stick, it gets me out within 2-3 jolts at the most.

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
... if only if I knew how to DI the down smash lol. Can anyone teach me? I don't know too much about pikachu though since I've only played like one pikachu player (esam), and that was only one time
As for the Pikachu d-smash (which im not totally sure if you're serious about lol), what i usually do is hold up on the analog stick, and mash up on the c-stick, it gets me out within 2-3 jolts at the most.
Yep, this is it, practically. Quarter-circle DI upwards (just mash the control stick up, then just do quarter circles from side to side) and you'll get out in no time. The C-stick helps out a lot too, if you've trained yourself to remember to use the C-stick for SDI as well instead of just for momentum cancelling.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
I know nothing!

SDI out of Pikachu's downsmash is easy, practice it in training mode a couple times and you'll never forget

MikeKirby

OTL Winrar
We should first ask you what your method for SDI is. Do you rotate you control stick (quarter circles and half circles) while mashing the c-stick or do you do Dual Stick SDI (hold control stick in one direction while mashing the c-stick in another direction)? But yeah, you pretty much SDI up in your preferred manner to avoid the pika down smash and you'll never get hit by all of it ever again! I just wanted to know your method of SDI before specifically telling you the exact control stick inputs, hah. Nevertheless, just go to training mode and hit yourself with a Smart Bomb and SDI upwards, haha! It's pretty much the same thing! :)

Also, unless I didn't catch it right, I noticed you played with tap jump off. I don't think you used to play with it off, did you? What caused the change?

BlazerKirby14

Smash Rookie
NNID
BlazerKirby
How do you fight MKs now? I always was good against fighting MKs...now idk what happened lol

Also, do you still go on aim?

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
Nightmare in dreamland on GBA =D. Kirby super star ultra is really good too.
You sir have excellent choice in games.

But I don't know, I manage to beat Toon links 100% of the time ( which is mainly why I think it's in Kirbys favor).
Wait, what about your match with ToonLeo at MLG Orlando?!

Top Bottom