• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Art of War for Palutena's soldiers! [Official Match-Up Thread]

Maharba the Mystic

Smash Master
hit constrol stick left and c stick right or vice versa. hit the control stick left and the c stick left and same for the right. move the sticks almost at the same time, but try to move the control stick a few frames first

edit:

you didn't read the legend in the thread did you :/ ?

Loz8ichimaru

Smash Apprentice
Hoping this thread will become more active and write-ups will be written for characters such as Olimar, Falco, other high tiers etc.

And Zelda, I really dislike fighting Zelda.

Maharba the Mystic

Smash Master
zelda is only hard if you mis-space against her. trust me i learned this the hard way over and over. just don't be lazy and always be concious of her range and yours. pit's dtilt is a god move in this MU so use it more as even though i haven't seen u play i guarentee you don't use it enough

Esca

Smash Champion
When? :bee:

Just postin to say i'm gonna be starting these up again.
I hit you up! Message me back. (409)673-1166

Ice Climbers, D3, and Falco are all -1
Are you goin to WHOBO?

and I disagree with Falco for -1, I think it's even. The chaingrab isn't that detrimental, and I don't think him outcamping us is that bad, we have a decently fast reflector and good punishes for his recovery.

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
W/e i get a stock lead the ddd i play with just quits lol.

Honestly i believe the better player will win in that mu.

ICs i could def. agree to -1.

Falco is even imo. Why do you think it's -1 kool aid?(koolaid)

Gadiel_VaStar

Smash Champion
NNID
GadielVaStar
I saw your match vs Atomsk(@Koolaid). You didn't use arrows as effectively as you could. You basically have to arrow spam/pressure DDD to approaching, do crossups, bait his grab, and avoid the chaingrab. I think it's an even to slightly disadvantage to Pit, but you didn't play the matchup correctly.

Esca

Smash Champion
What do you guys think out best options are to bait snake in the air?

Also, do we have any moves we can cancel his dacus with?

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
What do you guys think out best options are to bait snake in the air?

Also, do we have any moves we can cancel his dacus with?
Do you mean to bait snake into the air or to bait an action out of him while in the air?

And dsmash.

Or grab if you're fast enough.

Gadiel_VaStar

Smash Champion
NNID
GadielVaStar
Probably arrow or a SH bait, maybe aerial side-b in the opposite direction(spaced really well so you don't get hit in the lag).

What do you guys do vs Diddy Kong & Wolf?

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
Esca get in hurrr. You just spent 18 hours playing gnes.

Spill da beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeannnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnzzz lol.

Esca

Smash Champion
Take a banana and save it. You have some glide tosses but I wouldn't use it until the last kill so it isn't too predictable. But basically you take a banana and shoot arrows. It's just as deadly for Diddy to approach Pit as vice-versa. Stay NEAR the edge of the stage at all costs so you don't get combo'd by the gayness. If you slip on a banana and you have ample time to get up, just use the regular get up and dash attack toward the banana you slipped on. Also don't forget mirror shield and side - b, they're actually halfway decent in this MU. The best way i've found to approach Diddy is not to, unless you have a banana. Otherwise frustrate him with arrows until he approaches you. Dsmash is really good in this mu for it's speed, likewise with utilt. I try to avoid dtilt as it usually ends up in me eating 15-20% every time.

Esca

Smash Champion
I don't know it well enough. That's a MU you need a LOT of experience to do well in.

All I know is they feed off following your DI.

Loz8ichimaru

Smash Apprentice
Pikachu's pretty difficult, we can outcamp him as we can reflect his thunderjolts whereas he can only try to avoid/shield arrows, he dies quite early if you keep your kill moves fresh and use them at the right time, but actually landing any of them on Pikachu is the problem here. He's so small so landing f-air, b-air, or even n-air on him is difficult. His kill moves are so-so, d-smash should never be killing you (if you're dying to it or being put into the air (and thundered) then you need to work on DI-ing it), throws won't kill but will put you offstage and having to avoid thunders (not ideal), his u-smash and f-smash are tough to land so you'll need to be avoiding his n-air and u-tilt (as u-tilt --> reads DI --> thunder), remember that even fresh u-tilt won't be killing for quite some time, so there's usually no need to use a momentum cancel, and using a momentum cancel can easily get you thundered.

be careful with planking, having to use WOI is dangerous due to thunderjolts.

Landing near Pikachu is bad, d-smash covers landing on both sides if your close to him, u-tilt will put you into the air and possibly thunder position (there's also the strong spot of Pika's f-smash lol)

Quick attack extends his hurtbox so try to use that to your advantage.

Jab is a very, very good move in this match-up. I like d-tilt also to attempt to keep him out of your face.

I think f-throw to stutterstep f-smash will work at low percents, unless they DI perfectly.

I hope that helps a bit, I used to play this match-up a fair amount.

GrayFox8983

Smash Rookie
NNID
GrayFox8983
What's up everyone? I'm here trying to find a Pit group is there anyone out there that is willing to help me train and what not? =3

Damix91

Smash Journeyman
Anyone have experience Pit vs IC's and want to summarise the matchup? I would be very grateful

Invisi

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3411-2321-4441
Don't get grabbed.

What, you were looking for a more in-depth description? Oh alright...

Basically, this matchup just involves getting off as many arrows as you can, while staying the heck away from those monsters. Aerials can be a somewhat safe option if spaced correctly, but arrows are your best bet. You will almost never be using any attacks while on the ground. If you do land on the stage, the first thing you need to do is create as much distance as possible. Just slowly rack up arrow damage, and force them to approach. Try to force an aerial approach, which is when you have the upper hand. If you see an opportunity to bair you may get a kill, but other than that just keep firing arrows. You will be aiming for a timeout in most circumstances.

The most important aspect of this matchup is stage selection. You need a stage on which you can safely camp them. My personal choice is Smashville, since the platform allows you to camp for as long as you want without breaking the lgl. You'll have to be a little bit careful as it moves across the stage, but it usually isn't too difficult to be safe, just go into the air and ICs' options are very limited. Delfino is also a good choice, since the stage transformations can help to break a grab in progress, and sharking is particularly effective in this matchup.

Oh yea, and don't get grabbed.

Maharba the Mystic

Smash Master
space fair at the tip and it's safe. jab separates them. AR is good. really if you just space them and plank when neccessary it's not to bad. oh ya and air camp with Wing Refresh whether they are both their or not. btw sopo has no answer to air camping

arrows onstage get you grabbed if they arent full screen. there are dark secrets about desynching that you gotta watch out for

Luckay4Lyphe

Smash Master
Thinking about making "match-up videos". Basically a compilation of good matches of Pit players playing specific characters the way the matchup should be played and breaking the videos down into detailed parts of why things are done or what could be done in certain situations. Though this project may take a while for me to get started on. Probably not until around thanksgiving break since I need new video editing software and time off from school to actually put some effort into this.

I think it's a good idea so people can actually see what has to be done instead of reading guides and trying to interpret how to do stuff.

Matchups to start with: Metaknight, Snake, Falco, Diddy Kong
Later Matchups: Olimar, Ice Climbers, DDD, Marth

Edit: One thing you guys can do to help is search videos of top Pit players vs other good players of those ^ characters (no older than a year please) that you think are playing the matchup well and post them here. I'll analyze them in depth and in combination with my matchup knowledge to the best of my ability I will combine clips of each video of things us Pits should be doing when playing those characters.

Maharba the Mystic

Smash Master
kuro take back over the the video archive please. im haven't been keeping up to date (albeit there aren't new pit vids tmk) and im not putting in the work in the pit boards like i used to. im just not up for it anymore

Luckay4Lyphe

Smash Master
Actually that link is probably all I need lol. There should be a few more vids of koolaid vs Fatal and Bloodcross, but they are in a stream archive somewhere I believe

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
Ya i gotta add some more of the recent footage :) but i'm proud of it haha. Took me a lonnnnnnnnnnnnnnng time to do that.

Gadiel_VaStar

Smash Champion
NNID
GadielVaStar
How Ironic that the two matchups I need help in atm are the first two posted.. And I think G&W is even after playing my friend's G&W for so long. Pikachu & Olimar might be minus ones though, and maybe ICs.

Maharba the Mystic

Smash Master
g&w is -1, wario marth -2, mk -3. we don't have any other bad mus

edit:
if u cant beat olimar you don't know about dash attack and uair. if u can't beat pikachu u don't understand gimmicks

Gadiel_VaStar

Smash Champion
NNID
GadielVaStar
g&w is -1, wario marth -2, mk -3. we don't have any other bad mus

edit:
if u cant beat olimar you don't know about dash attack and uair. if u can't beat pikachu u don't understand gimmicks
I refuse to believe Wario is -2, it's -1 at best, but the more I play it, the more it's even or sometimes in Pit's favor. It's probably dependent upon the stage though. Marth might be that, but probably -1, & MK between -2 or -3, but leaning towards minus -2. It might even be -1.5.

Luckay4Lyphe

Smash Master
Maybe you're just stubborn and want Pit to be top tier so badly because you main him lol. Abe is right, but I think mk is -2 or 60:40 or whatever.

Maharba the Mystic

Smash Master
for real dawg you severely over rate this character. don't be blinded by how cool his shining wings are. KNOW YOUR CHARACTER'S WEAKNESSES. otherwise you will fail even harder.

actually i have an idea. you don't believe wario is a -2 then do this. ask reflex to time you out on battle field, pokemon stadium, smashville, halberd, delphino, and any other stage that's legal in GA and make sure you tell him to time you out specifically. then get back to us with results on how many times you could hit a wario who has the lead and tell us you were able to kill him first and who lived to wat percent each game.

then go to west coast and ask mikehaze and zex to **** you in 4 minutes or less with marth while you don't go over 50 ledge grabs. all the non west coast marth's in this country suck so no none of your local marths will count.

oh and then come to hobo and get molested by dojo over and over and over and over again until you realize that a mk who knows the pit mu does not lose it, ever

Gadiel_VaStar

Smash Champion
NNID
GadielVaStar
for real dawg you severely over rate this character. don't be blinded by how cool his shining wings are. KNOW YOUR CHARACTER'S WEAKNESSES. otherwise you will fail even harder.

actually i have an idea. you don't believe wario is a -2 then do this. ask reflex to time you out on battle field, pokemon stadium, smashville, halberd, delphino, and any other stage that's legal in GA and make sure you tell him to time you out specifically. then get back to us with results on how many times you could hit a wario who has the lead and tell us you were able to kill him first and who lived to wat percent each game.

then go to west coast and ask mikehaze and zex to **** you in 4 minutes or less with marth while you don't go over 50 ledge grabs. all the non west coast marth's in this country suck so no none of your local marths will count.

oh and then come to hobo and get molested by dojo over and over and over and over again until you realize that a mk who knows the pit mu does not lose it, ever
I believe you could be right about those matchups. I played Loe1 on wifi and he timed me out, lol. I lost to a Marth main in tournament a few weeks ago, and as far as MK, I got scrapped at Waba by high lvl MKs. I just want to experience those matchups at a high lvl when I'm at an equal lvl to say whether they are bad or not. Basically, I personally haven't played the matchups at a top lvl enough to say whether they are that bad or not.

Top Bottom