• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Arizona Brawl Scene - TOURNEY on Jan 2nd!

Zardus

Smash Apprentice
The Thread:

This is a thread for people in Arizona who actually like to play Smash Bros Brawl (unlike a lot of these guys). Most of the events take place around the Tempe area, but I'll post up any other AZ events that come my way. If there's nothing listed in upcoming events, check the end of the thread. I might be lazy and lag updating this OP sometimes.

You can easily get back to this thread later via http://tinyurl.com/azbrawl instead of re-navigating Smashboards. Be sure to give that URL to anyone interested in playing Brawl on an awesome level! We do also have Melee and sometimes even Smash 64 at our Smashfests, so don't feel sad if you don't play a lot of Brawl...

If you'd like to get texts about upcoming Smash events, send me a text at (520) 305-9267 with your name and I'll be sure to text you about any Smashfests going on.

Upcoming Events:

Jan 2nd: There is a tourney going on at our place! More info here: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=256856
Relevant Threads:

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
Welcome to the boards, Zardus. What are you studying at ASU? I'm a Computer Science grad student. nice to meet you!

There are indeed some ASU smashers. Myself, Goop (though he's graduated now), Taj (though he just plays WoW now), and Wobbles (I can't think of a witty caption for him right now) just to name a few.

Plus lots of others in the Tempe area who used to show, like Joe aka Kyne aka IFeelAsleep, and even Super Sayin Shane if we were lucky.

Depending on turnout, the McClintock lounge is a good place to play Smash on campus. That's where we used to do it.

KosukeKGA

Smash Champion
Zardus, an HDTV would lag for Smash which is bad. I guess it could pass for Brawl though since the gameplay for it isn't that fast...

Zardus

Smash Apprentice
I'm not actually studying at ASU, I just happen to live by it. My wife goes there and is working towards a Computer Science undergrad right now. I have a CS undergrad from RPI and work here in AZ :-)

So is the McClintock lounge the preferred place to play? I'm not really familiar with ASU so I'm not sure what that lounge is like and how late it's open and whatnot. As I mentioned, I'm all for hosting on University & Price, too. If people would prefer being on campus, though, I'm down for McClintock lounge.

CHUK

Smash Ace
sounds good, I would be down for some melee and 64, what days? someone has to hook u up with a real tv though.

Zardus

Smash Apprentice
KosukeKGA, I'll be sure to put all the information in the OP.

I have the GC hooked up to the HDTV via S-Video. With the HDTV in 4:3 mode, wouldn't that be as un-laggy as a normal SDTV? SSBB on the Wii goes via component cables, of course. I'm all for it if someone wants to bring an SDTV (or if where-ever we end up will have one), though, so either way's fine by me.

Personally, I'd rather play Brawl. I miss the speed of Melee, but I hated crap like wavedashing. But that discussion is definitely for another thread :-)

I'm down to play most weeknights (Mon-Thu) and most Sunday nights. Fridays and Saturdays are almost always taken up, and I have work during the day. Does anyone else's availabilty overlap with any of that? Obviously this week is a bit different cause of Thanksgiving, so I can really only do tonight or Sunday night.

The only question now is where we want to meet. I want to hear if anyone prefers the McClintock lounge or my place at University & Price. It's a 15 minute bike ride for me so I'm fine either way.

Dark Shifter

Smash Ace
@ Zardus: im usually always free weekday nights so i would be down to play anytime. i also have and hdtv that i play brawl on and i don't see a difference when i switch to a non-hdtv. im going home this weekend and ill be back on monday. you wanna get together sometime around then and do a lil smashfest or something? haha or evil hell, im free tonight if you(or anyone else) would want to come over. i live on asu's campus in university towers.

Zardus

Smash Apprentice
Dark Shifter, sounds like a plan. I'm free tonight. You mind if I put this in the OP and on the facebook group? That way anyone who's interested will be able to come down.

How many people can your place hold? I got one person who might be able to come, but don't really know anyone else that plays Smash. What's your unit # in University towers (if you want me to put it on the FB group)? If you have a spare TV, I can bring my Wii over in case more enough people show up to have 2 running at once.

Alt, you free to Brawl tonight? Anyone else? If we end up with too many people, we can always find a different place (if you won't mind heading somewhere else, Dark Shifter).

Dark Shifter

Smash Ace
sweet. my room number is 719. my cell number is 480-440-4199. my place can comfortably hold like 10-12 people or so. ya, you can put my room number on the facebook group. i can hit up a couple people to see if they want to come over. what time you think you can come over?

Zardus

Smash Apprentice
Awesome! I edited the OP with the meetup details. Sorry for the short notice, everyone. Hopefully people can still plan to make it :-)

We'll have more in the future, obviously.

Jar'd

Smash Ace
DS, it's cause you have a 19 inch tv that it's hardly noticeable. The bigger the tv (and the higher the native resolution) the worse the lag is.

4:3 won't change anything. It still has upscaling lag. The only way to reduce it is to buy some component cables (at least you are using s-video though. Better than composite) or get a real smash tv. If you insist on hd though, I'm pretty sure CRT tvs don't have any lag because of the way they are built. Craigslist has some good deals.

Anyway, I can't really do anything during the week, though I'm free Friday-Sunday for the most part. Hopefully we can get some good smash in.

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
A large portion of lag comes from deinterlacing, but upscaling hurts as well. Plus there's also refresh rate, video preprocessing, and just plain old lag!

Alicia's parents have this awesome 42" 1080p LCD. It looks sweet. But it lags. Even on 1080p games, it lags. According to Guitar Hero's calibration, it gets 35ms of latency even on 1080p using HDMI or Component Cables. 35 ms is approximately 2 frames, and it's a killer. It's enough even for Alicia's parents (non-gamers) to complain about it.

So yes, lag matters. Even a little. :)

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
Whoa. ASU?

Scholarships is what I need.

Dastrn

BRoomer
BRoomer
good times tonight.

i didn't get like ANYONES name though. who all was there?

I was the pikachu with the green headband.

Zardus

Smash Apprentice
Jar'd, I don't really insist on HD; it's just what's on hand. I'll look around for my SDTV for next time. Also, when on Sundays would you want to play?

So that was some awesome SSBB tonight. I can't believe how many people showed up! I was the guy playing mostly Fox (named 'Z' on one of the Wiis).

How does next Tuesday sound for everyone, or is another day better? I'm willing to host (University & Price/101, 2 miles from ASU) if DS wants a break. Otherwise, we can hold it where-ever. Also, how does maybe getting pizza (or something less greasy on the controllers) next time sound? I was pretty starved by the end there.

CHUK

Smash Ace
tuesday is a night I could play! ty for non-weekend smash fest. Is melee played there?

Zardus

Smash Apprentice
Today we just played Brawl, which I prefer (more out of a realization of the futility of holding on desperately to the old than out of a preference for Brawl), but there's no reason that Melee can't be played on one of the TVs if people want to. Ideally we'd have enough TVs to do this.

Dark Shifter

Smash Ace
tonight was the first night that i noticed the lag on my hdtv. now i feel sad... :( haha

oh, sorry everyone to the people that i didn't introduce. name tags would be a nice feature :) lol

next tuesday sounds good. ill have to see if i have homework or not but you can sign me up for it.

Goop

Smash Journeyman
I am usually down to play Melee. I am not down for much Brawl now a days.

I can usually only hang out on Sat and Sun as those are my days off.

Zardus

Smash Apprentice
DS, do you want to host again? I'm down for hosting if that's easier for you. It would mean a 2-mile bike ride for anyone at ASU (or I can pick some people up via car, or the Orbit's Mercury line goes right to my place).

I'm going to go spelunking in some storage rooms and garages to find my dang SDTV. If that's unsuccessful, I'll pick one up on Craigslist before Tuesday so we can play in style. I looked into it a decent bit and my HDTV is pretty **** laggy.

Dark Shifter

Smash Ace
i don't mind hosting everyone once in a while but it would be nice to go to someones house and smash there. :)

ya, i also gotta get me a sdtv for smash. when would you want to host a smashfest?

Jar'd

Smash Ace
Man. My parents just donated one of our old sdtvs about a week ago. I wish we would have kept it now. >_>

Jar'd

Smash Ace
LOL get *****.

You should have given it to me.

Mines is garbage
If I can find a tv that displays in 480p on craigslist I'll have another spare tv (27 inch sony ^______________^). If you don't mind paying an outrageous price you might be able to buy that off of me.

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
If I can find a tv that displays in 480p on craigslist I'll have another spare tv (27 inch sony ^______________^). If you don't mind paying an outrageous price you might be able to buy that off of me.
By pay, you mean play?

And by outrageous price, you mean "me in a TV match"

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
sir i think you need to learn english
Sir, I think you need to learn to make yourself more clear.

The keys for "paying an outrageous price" and "money match" are right next to each other. It's a very very common mistake. The keys for "buy" are also adjacent to those of "steal" and "take" and "**** me of."

Dastrn

BRoomer
BRoomer
I'm pissed cause my best buddy was moving a few months ago and he had the perfect old TV with a video OUT so I could play with no lag, and then run video out to record, rather than pushing it through my computer first, which adds lag.

dude gave it away to some other guy we barely knew. There goes the PERFECT smashfest/tourney TV.

Zardus

Smash Apprentice
DS, let's have the next smashfest at my place. Does Tuesday at 6:30 sound good for everyone?

Regarding TVs, I used to have a 5" little portable TV that also had video out. Couldn't see squat on it, though and it recently broke anyways :-(

Zardus

Smash Apprentice
I edited the event into the OP. I also created an event on the facebook group.

I'll put up better directions later. Kinda in a hurry right now.

Top Bottom