• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guide The Advanced How To Play Video (AHTP)

Tyson651

Smash Lord
awesome, the slow down effects and music was also great.

nicely done.

badmon45

Smash Rookie
For 4 years I thought I knew the advanced techniques of SSBM. Since I came here I didn't know any of those techniques you used and I'm no going to use it in Melee. Great video and I can't wait for Part 2.

Omega_Star

Smash Lord
Nice video. I once thought of making something like this, but I guess that'd be redundant now, huh? I probably couldn't have done as good a job anyway. Btw, I like your choice of music for advanced dodging ;) Good work! It probably would have helped me a lot back when I was first learning the advanced techniques.

And Epux, the first song in the video is a remix from The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past called "Triforce Majeure" by Disco Dan on OCRemix, and it can be found right here. The second song in the video is "Bust a Move" by Infected Mushroom.

TheCatPhysician

Smash Ace
Sensai said:
Good try, but not completely...here's why:

(HISTORY LESSON!)

Cancelling lag animations from air moves was in Smash 64, but unintentionally. You can tell this because it cancels ALL the lag, and not just half of it. I.E., Link's Dair is a god of a move. The reason for this, as best as I understand it, is that the game attempts to bring up the shield and thus cuts through some of the lag animations.

So, it was unintentionally placed into the 64 version, but then modified and replaced into Melee.

I assume that this'll happen with WDing in Brawl: they'll chew it up, and spit it back out in a more refined version.
And thus, L-cancelling was not unintentional in Melee. Whether it was intentionally put into SSB64 is irrelevant, because Nintendo knew about it before Melee. They even taught people how to do it on their website. They chose to keep it when they could have taken it out.

I still think it was intentional in SSB64, too. Because they made it cancel all the lag doesn't mean it wasn't an accident. And it isn't trying to pull out the sheild when it does it, because you have to hit L before you hit the ground, when you're in the air. Plus, since it happens in one frame in SSB64, if it was attempting to bring up the sheild, it would have done it, not tried to do it but cancelled the lag of the attack. Additionally, why would it do it on A-attacks, but not B?

To make the lag cancel in the game the way it does with L-cancelling, they had to specifically program it in. The program has to say, "If an A-air attack is being performed, and L Button is pressed so many frames before hitting the ground, cut the animation of the move." Additionally, there is a certain time frame where the L-cancel can be performed, not just one frame. There's no way they could have accidentally said, "If L is pressed while the time before the character collides with the ground is between x and y frames, cut the animation (where x and y are the specific limiting frames that came from somewhere)." Where did the numbers for x and y come from? The game did not just randomly make them up.

And now that I think about it, the fact that they made it cancel all the lag makes it seem more believable. They were probably thinking, "We want some kind of hidden skill that people who get serious about the game can learn and practice, and it will make their practice pay off." Since this was the first game in the series, they didn't get very detailed about it, they just blatently implemented this concept into the game. Then later in Melee, they decided to, as you would say, "chew it up, and spit it back out in a more refined version," and make it more reasonable.

Stinkoman

Smash Apprentice
Awesome.
I've heard about these advanced techniques before from friends and threads, but this detailed step-by-step video was the most useful thing for wavedashing and the like that I've seen. This will help me bunches. Thanks and keep up the good work!

Vicious Delicious

tetigit destruens
Switch FC
SW 0141 8170 9257
It's good. Slow enough to teach people, yet fast enough to not get us bored :) Plus, the music is great. Easy to understand, put in simple format, this is the best out of the only 3 tutorial videos I've seen

Intolerance

Smash Rookie
wow that was great, can't wait for the rest. I always knew there was a reason only short hop with my non-samus mains. I especially liked your l-cancel practice technique. Oh and your AZ quotes were a perfect touch.

SipherothXIII

Smash Apprentice
when i try to wave dash a shielding animation comes on after the character finishes sliding and when i try to attack i end up side stepping instead.. This video confirms that i did it wrong. Thank you. now if only i can do it so that the shield never appears.

The example u use with young link; did he use wavedash then use the c-stick to smash, or did he use the regular DA Smash?

Inferno_blaze

Smash Lord
does it really matter? I'm guessing c-stick seeng how that's faster (will do it as soon as it possibly can rather than when you release)

Jade

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
4639-9144-1357
Great, Sweet, Hot, Huge, Monsterious, Thrilling, Chilling, Mind-Blowing, Artifact-Throwing ( hngh? ), Organised, Delicious and way more other things! :D
Its really nice organised!
Well done

y2kbakura

Smash Journeyman
Good **** *****!
i wish i had this when i was tring to teach my friends
to learn how to wavedash and shuffle very through and simple
even a noob can learn from it ;)

Wak

BRoomer
BRoomer
SipherothXIII said:
when i try to wave dash a shielding animation comes on after the character finishes sliding and when i try to attack i end up side stepping instead.. This video confirms that i did it wrong. Thank you. now if only i can do it so that the shield never appears.

The example u use with young link; did he use wavedash then use the c-stick to smash, or did he use the regular DA Smash?
I did a downsmash ... with c stick if you want to know, but the wavedash is greater than that; you can do ANYTHING after a wavedash!

grab,
fowardsmash
throw boomerang
etc

why I used downsmash? because of absolutely nothing.

Wak

BRoomer
BRoomer
SipherothXIII said:
a friend of mine calls the c-stick the noob stick. i know its easier to use the c-stick but i dont rely on it.
well your friend will have to learn to use the c stick :p

on a side note:

I will release my advanced how to play: part 2: sunday, june 11th!

sn][p3r

Smash Cadet
NICE NICE NICE!!!!!11!11!1!! If only this was made earlier! Yay for part 2~!

The Bino

Smash Lord
hey for the C-Stick i have these times where you tell your char to do say a DSmash and nothin happens, i will press it like 5 times for it to actually happen... i call these C-Stick Malfunctions... i also have the same thing for B attacks... but if you use the regular Smashes with A i don't think you get Malfunctions or is it just me and my partner

Wak

BRoomer
BRoomer
BarBino said:
hey for the C-Stick i have these times where you tell your char to do say a DSmash and nothin happens, i will press it like 5 times for it to actually happen... i call these C-Stick Malfunctions... i also have the same thing for B attacks... but if you use the regular Smashes with A i don't think you get Malfunctions or is it just me and my partner
it,s time to change your controller...

The Bino

Smash Lord
Wak nah my controller works fine.. nothin wrong with it... we just seem to get Malfunctions outta nowhere in the game... like the ones described above... but i can't wait to see your next vid... the 1st part was crazy... i couldn't believe how long ago i read that you were makin a AHTP vid and now i've seen it and all your hard work will really help all the new guys and even some old ones who probably don't use certain jutsus lol b/c they can't do em... i know cuz my teammates can't LCancel properly so they gave up... now that they have seen this they started to learn it again

EXE

Smash Cadet
I can WD fairly well, but I just suck at LC XD

Not only because I can't do it 100% of the time, but because I always forget to use it, except when I'm Link.

jinzorob

Smash Rookie
This is a great video!

This will really help the people who need it. Maybe more people will enter tournaments once they learn to use these advanced techniques.

BTW, I uploaded this video on Google Video. You can see it here.

Inferno_blaze

Smash Lord
Part 2 on sunday and I'm doing DofE ver the weekend and have a lot of german homework to do as well, just great :( Not your fault though

Suska

Smash Apprentice
That was a very useful video but are there characters where wavedashing is useless? I can wavedash fine with Samus but when I try to wavedash with Kirby it doesnt work out so well. Am I doing something wrong?

Inferno_blaze

Smash Lord
yes there are, which is why it isn't ba;anced as it is. Try WDing as bowser, it's near useless and it's takes a while to get used to thanks to his lag time when jumping

Razorcloud

Smash Cadet
srry i didnt post earlier. i was prolly one of the first people to watch it seeing as how you told me the moment it was uploaded. the video is great. all my techniques have improved 100% since i picked it up and made me discover my love for samus and flaco! thank you so much~~~~~!

Top Bottom