• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The 949 Smash Thread: RIP PacWest

Kira-

Smash Champion

Devl_akuma

Smash Rookie
Initial impressions from the FUSION tourney: good times. :)

Shoutouts and props mentioned in the tourney thread. For the sake of continuity though...

jkun, gsub, kirbyraeg, boss + maple, julian, karlvin, squid, bryan, sergio, thundercloud and others I forgot. Cheers. Got a looooooong way to go to be anywhere near your guys' level, lol.

Rei, where were you? Was hoping to get owned by you again. lol

ahchoomattchu

Smash Ace
Full results for the UCI/FUSION tournament are now up on its page.

Thanks to everyone who came out and played! It was the first tournament I've ever ran before, and I think it went relatively well. Special thanks to those vets (Connor, Zhu, MacD, Jkun/DJ Mirror) for helping me throughout the day, to Stabbed for letting me commentate, and to those of you who provided setups/equipment (Thundercloud, Squid, devl, rus s0uL, etc.)! I really learned a lot about hosting a tournament, and I hope to do an even better job next time! Being able to play against people who were at or above my level (total understatement for some) was a great learning/motivational experience, and I'm definitely going to try and get better.

I'm going to try and make another tournament next quarter, so look out!

I think that's it for now, I'm going to sleep. Once again, thanks, everyone!

kirbyraeg

Smash Hero
because it comes from the bowels of 7chan.

plus i figured that i'd always be "that idiot that plays kirby" so it seemed fitting. :bee:

Incronaut

Smash Ace
he told me its because he never cared too much about spelling :p

im sad i missed the UCI tourney, but i hope you guys had fun!

JDM

Smash Champion
What I learned yesturday at Level Up. (In order)

1: Krispy Kreme Glaze doughnuts ****. Their Coffee tastes like ASH.
>_>
2: Alot more people smoke compared to smashers.
3: Dave n Busters venue is amazing. Their staff guarding the door are not.
4: Their recording/main stage head2head setup blows anything I have ever seen at a smash tourney out of the water.
5: Playing on lagless EVO monitors in HD is orgasmic.
6: Justin Wong is much more humble and nicer compared to Mango.
7: Tekken is really fun to watch.
8: People are chill on letting people borrowing their sticks/controllers.
9: Boiling Crab sauce+ Krispy Kreme Glazed = amazing.
10: ScamTive Gamers has a new challenger approaching: http://www.galaxy4gamers.com/ (Gootecks: That ain't Active Gamers!)
11: I need to get better at this game.

DJMirror

Smash Master
What I learned yesturday at Level Up. (In order)

1: Krispy Kreme Glaze doughnuts ****. Their Coffee tastes like ASH.
>_>
2: Alot more people smoke compared to smashers.
3: Dave n Busters venue is amazing. Their staff guarding the door are not.
4: Their recording/main stage head2head setup blows anything I have ever seen at a smash tourney out of the water.
5: Playing on lagless EVO monitors in HD is orgasmic.
6: Justin Wong is much more humble and nicer compared to Mango.
7: Tekken is really fun to watch.
8: People are chill on letting people borrowing their sticks/controllers.
9: Boiling Crab sauce+ Krispy Kreme Glazed = amazing.
10: ScamTive Gamers has a new challenger approaching: http://www.galaxy4gamers.com/ (Gootecks: That ain't Active Gamers!)
11: I need to get better at this game.
show me your set against the honda player asap

Signia

Smash Lord
1. Krispy Kreme doughnuts are terrible
2. Yeah other FGs attract older crowds and older crowds smoke. You musta felt a little intimidated, with them being at least 4 years older than you (I would be)
3. Dave n Busters venue sounds ****. Sucks that only arcade fighting game in the Spectrum's D&B is an "out of order" Tekken 5.
4. cool
5. cool
6. cool .. wait, You got to meet Justin Wong?! ****
7. Tekken is fun to watch because all the random spectator sees is huge combos, and maybe the spacing. VF and SC are better 3d fighters imo, back to block is dumb in a 3d fighter, though I guess it's the most tech-skill oriented (read: no buffer and combos can make up for terrible yomi) if that's what you like.

I think every smasher should at least try a different fighting game or look at their communities, they might learn something.

DJMirror

Smash Master
1. I never had Krispy Kreme doughtnuts before i think
2. hella old school players are still around to play
3. Dave N Busters? I never went there once i think
4. I saw there recording set up at Arcade Infinity! ****
5. I want a tv like that when i finally get my paycheck
6. how well did you do against him? I wanna see that set if possible
7. I find tekken boring =/ sorry
8. that's cool
9. what's boiling crab? i wanna try it out!
10. i heard about this but i didn't know it was like that
11. you got this!

-Rei-

Saviour of PacWest
glazed donuts are the best type of donuts

i can't remember krispy kreme having any other type

uuuh orange glazed? lol

DJMirror

Smash Master
is anyone down to go chill tomorrrow? (not smash just chill ehh if not i can smash as well but i'm going to use Y. Link and Falcon etc not going to use my marth or anything)

JDM

Smash Champion
BF BC2 Midnight release tomorrow if you are down for that. (Ill text you if I actually go at midnight)

And for those people that don't know: Justin Wong lives in Socal now. I'll stop with the Street Fighter talk for now.

JDM

Smash Champion
Here's some SAT practice questions for stab smash style. (From MaskedSheik)

1 I was just wondering why Ganondorf is in the very middle of the tiers. Before I get into what I
2 mean, allow me to first put out there that I have been playing for years, and I have watched MANY
3 videos of the tournament masters.

4 My brother and I found out, through years of play, literally EVERY advanced technique in the
5 game, except the wavedash, which we stumbled upon, but wrote off as simply hilarious. I was
6 surprised to find that all the wacky observations we have encountered and adapted are actually
7 defined in the glossary in the sticky topic above! Three of the particularly surprising terms that I
8 could not believe had been widely known and utilized were the Phantom Hit (I just thought I had a
9 glitchy game) and that effect where recovering at the right time from attacks that sent you flying
10 results in an upward boost if you jump out/air dodge/whatever early enough (I cannot remember
11 what it was called in the sticky), and the waveland.

12 Now, I have been using Ganondorf against my brother lately, and he cannot seem to beat me. We
13 think we know why, and we think it puts Ganon at the top of the tiers. I will be brief. Ganondorf
14 has his air forward. We call it 'The Punch.' It has that special hitbox like a sword, hence it goes
15 right through anything except an attack with that same type of hitbox. It does 17% max, is
16 relatively fast executing, has basically instant recovery on a barrier cancel, and is quite massive,
17 killing at rather low percentages.

18 If he misses, he can just do his A punch if the opponent tries to retaliate, or shield/roll. I am telling
19 you, Ganondorf is a crazy meat mountain who crushes bones with many attacks doing 15+%,
20 survives to insane damages thanks to his weight, and has ridiculous horizontal recovery (Double
21 Jump, Ganondorf Kick Down B, ANOTHER Double Jump, ARE YOU SERIOUS, Up B).

22 Next, check his roll. It goes like half screen. It makes him rather fast, nearly eliminating his speed
23 problem on the ground, and a great character when it comes to the defensive game. It pretty
24 much eliminates the need for his wavedash, which, with Ganondorf, who needs to do most of his
25 attacking from hops, is pretty much useless already unless you are looking to smash attack.
26 Wavesmashing, however, in my opinion, is also a bad idea, because, in the time and damage it
27 takes you to actually land a smash, you could have just used The Punch and killed you opponent
28 by then.

29 Even though he has to fight mostly in the air, 3 of his 4 air attacks are pretty fast, and are quite
30 massive. A major advantage he has is that nearly all his attacks move the opponent considerably,
31 and can topple him from 0%, so his opponent gets little to no counterattack opportunity.

32 The only explanation I can find for why he is low on the tiers is that no one has used him
33 seriously. I think he really keeps up, if not tops, the top tier characters.

34 I really do not like to simply shoot my mouth, and I am not one who thinks it right to shower a
35 character in encomium, and never actually prove anything. Is there online for this somewhere, or
36 is that simply wishful thinking? If not, please do not yell at me and stuff until you at least check out
37 The Punch. Goes right through projectiles, goes right through attacks, goes right through faces.
38 Please just give Ganondorf another shot and tell me what you thnk.

39 Final Comment: People have a tendency to think that posts from newcomers to a board but
30 veterans of its respective game are saying they are better than everyone else, regardles of what
31 the post actually says. Please note that I did not say 'I am better than you' or 'Ganon is better
32 than Fox.' I said, essentially: 'Ganon seems to be great. These are his strengths. He may top Fox.
33 Check him out and see if you agree.' I will say, however, that I am a full master of Ganondorf.

34 Please give Ganondorf a second look before responding so you know where I am coming from!

1. The author's tone in this passage is
(a) argumentative
(b) sarcastic
(c) exuberant
(d) restrained
(e) apathetic

2. Which of the below statements best sums up the second paragraph (lines 4-11)?
(a) I am a full master of every advanced technique
(b) Wavedashing is the worst technique because we wrote it off as hilarious
(c) We think these techniques put Ganon at the top of the tiers
(d) You can only learn to wavedash by watching videos of the tournament masters
(e) We discovered most advanced techniques without the help of the sticky topic

3. The phrase "...Ganondorf is a crazy meat mountain..." (line 19) is an example of
(a) metaphor
(b) double entendre
(c) cliché
(d) simile
(e) personification

4. Between the parentheses on lines 20 and 21, which phrase functions as an interjection?
(a) "Double jump"
(b) "Ganondorf Kick Down B"
(c) "ANOTHER Double Jump"
(d) "ARE YOU SERIOUS"
(e) "Up B"

5. In the sentence "...I am not one who thinks it right to shower a character in encomium..." (lines 34 and 35), the word "encomium" most closely means
(a) idle flattery
(b) water droplets
(c) argumentation
(d) formal praise
(e) lavish gifts

6. When the author asks "Is there online for this somewhere" (line 35), he wants to
(a) prove Ganondorf is great
(b) find other full masters of Ganondorf
(c) shoot his mouth
(d) go right through projectiles, attacks, and faces
(e) top the tournament Fox masters

7. The sentence "Goes right through projectiles, goes right through attacks, goes right through faces" (line 37) is an example of
(a) parallelism
(b) hyperbole
(c) syntax
(d) simile
(e) apostrophe

8. On line 1 the author wonders "...why Ganondorf is in the very middle of the tiers." What is his conclusion by the end of the passage?
(a) It's not right to shower a character in encomium.
(b) Ganondorf has to fight mostly in the air
(c) You can write off Ganondorf's wavedash as simply hilarious
(d) Veterans think newcomers are saying they're better than everyone else.
(e) No one has used Ganondorf seriously.

9. Which of the below statements would the author consider his strongest argument for Ganon being great?
(a) "Ganondorf has his air forward. We call it 'The Punch.'" (lines 13-14)
(b) "Ganondorf is a crazy meat mountain..." (line 19)
(c) "It makes him rather fast, nearly eliminating his speed problem on the ground" (lines 22-23)
(d) "The only explanation I can find for why he is low on the tiers is that no one has used him seriously." (lines 32-33)
(e) "I will say, however, that I am a full master of Ganondorf." (line 31)

10. Which sentence best sums up the author's main point?
(a) "I was just wondering why Ganondorf is in the very middle of the tiers." (line 1)
(b) "Now, I have been using Ganondorf against my brother lately, and he cannot seem to beat me." (line 12)
(c) "Double Jump, Ganondorf Kick Down B, ANOTHER Double Jump, ARE YOU SERIOUS, Up B" (lines 20-21)
(d) "'Ganon seems to be great. These are his strengths." (line 32)
(e) "I will say, however, that I am a full master of Ganondorf." (line 33)

Signia

Smash Lord
1) c
2) e
3) a
4) d
5) a
6) b
7) b
8) e
9) a
10) (this was a tough one but I'd have to say) e

It was funny reading those ridiculous statements over and over again in the answers.
oh and don't forget you have to be able to answer these questions within like 10 min or something ridiculous. SAT is so dumb though. Everything you need to know is learned like freshman year. I didn't take any any special classes, didn't study, took it junior year and got a 1760 (mid/average). I never sent the scores to any colleges because I'd be taking the community college->transfer to better college easy route.

OkamiBW

Smash Champion
Read the following passage and answer the questions.

SAT is broken. Universities are broken. I got an 800 on the math SAT. The two schools (UC Berkeley and UCLA) I wanted to get into were like, yeah, I don't care if you have a 4.0 weighted GPA, I don't care if you got an 800, I don't care if you have an IB diploma...you aren't on the PR, so you gotta go practice your tech skill before you can come here. And USC was like, hey, we'll take you, but you gotta go bankrupt to come here, so lol, have fun. And then 3 other UC schools were like, whatever, he's good, but we don't want to put in money, so come here if you want. And U of A (which I am currently attending) was like, HEY! We have Forward, Wobbles, Taj, Axe, GamerGuitarist7, Jetfour, and Tai. You should come do some training here. We'll even give you 9k a year to come play melee.

1. The author's purpose in writing this passage was
(a) To persuade high schoolers to go to University of Arizona
(b) To take the ACT instead of the SAT
(c) To parody JDM's exam parody, yet still retain the general serious tone of the SAT
(d) To assuage the reader's fears about going to college
(e) To turn in an essay for class

2. "you aren't on the PR" means the writer is not
(a) On the SoCal Melee Power Rankings
(b) On the Accepted list for UC Berkeley and UCLA
(c) In the Arizona Top 10 Melee Players
(d) Going to UC Berkeley and UCLA
(e) All of the above

3. In the third to last sentence of the passage, "We" refers to
(a) The University of Arizona
(b) The individuals doing the Acceptance process at the University of Arizona
(c) Arizona
(d) Southern California
(e) None of the above

4. Which of the following is most likely NOT true?
(a) The author received an 800 on all three sections of the SAT
(b) The author is in Arizona
(c) The author cares deeply about school
(d) The author cares deeply about Super Smash Brothers Melee
(e) The author enjoys his or her metaphors involving Super Smash Brothers Melee

5. A word that is equivalent to the word '****' would be:
(a) Brawl
(b) Sexual assault
(c) The act of giving one unrequisited sex
(d) Pure Pwnage
(e) Melee

6. The weight of two Pichus is, in fact, equal to:
(a) Bowser
(b) Donkey Kong
(c) Samus
(d) Ganondorf
(e) Yoshi

JDM

Smash Champion
Got some new goodies from my dads work today. A new Sony*Bravia KDL32EX500. My big screen only ran up to 720p so ill be playing FFXIII on this bad boy in 1080p. I also tried out the game mode and it has minimal lag. (I was able to do Kens Full hitting ultra after a FADC DP 19/20 times. I never got those on my CRT)

Next week I'll be able to use my dads new "super" computer (don't know the specs but i guarantee it's 10000x better than what you have. My bro said it could run 10 WoW games if it wanted to) after he takes it the gamers convention this week in norcal. GGPO/ Mealty Blood/ Continum Shift setup?

Top Bottom