• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The "8-Player" Debate

Dragonboy2k4

Smash Ace
IMO,Id think it would be a crazy idea if they did it.I mean,how so quick we are to forgot about the Dreamcast guys?Maybe some of you guys werent gaming at that point and time but when the Dreamcast got started with there online service,they had games that were 8 players online with 56k!,even tho the system failed years later.The later NBA 2k and NFL 2k series were the only two I remember that was like that.So judging by that,that can only mean that if Dreamcast(which was an inferior system to the GC and PS2)can have access to allowing 8 players like that,the Wii(which is 2x the GC)can do the same thing,even better in some cases since Cable/DSL is more popular now.I would really have an orgasim if they were to add more players into this game. :laugh:

mr.NoOb

Smash Cadet
i know im late for this thread...but for those people who keep saying wii doesnt support 8 players ....online would be laggy.....

nintendo pioneered (yea not sony it was for snes) the multiport or multitab. so it is a possibiliity

STIK

Smash Cadet
It will obviously handle 8 players and I am pretty sure that nintendo will make multi taps for the wii.

MiraiGen

Smash Ace
Brawl 8-way? I dunno. Sounds more like a big mess of a game when you get down to it.

Like, okay, four-person KOs with a good Falcon Punch, I'm down with that idea on paper, but honestly if you can imagine the kind of chaos that fourplayer FFA already brings, then double that.

It would be just a big jumbled mess with almost no strategy, even on the biggest courses. That, and I already have enough troubles on the zooming camera, we don't need to add to the problem.

Zink

Smash Champion
Meh. Falcon Punch/Volcano Kick ftl.
Online is too laggy, and offline has 4 ports. MAYBE LAN, but it's too crazy.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
People, THE WII HAS 8 CONTROLLER PORTS!

4 Classic controllers + 4 GC controllers = 8 ports total, and yes, Metal Slug Anthology has already proven that one player can use a Wiimote while the other uses a GC controller.

Technically, the Wii can do this already, but it would be hectic to the point where SSBB would likely lose all illusions of strategy and just be one giant cluster f*ck.

Could be fun if the levels are big enough, though...

Zink

Smash Champion
4 GCN ports.
Brawl uses GCN controllers.
Unless you mean classic controllers plugged into the Wiimote, which is $120 for 4, plus isn't the same as a GCN controller...

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
Yes, I do mean the classic controllers.

They look like they'll make for a different control experience, but they do have all the buttons necessary.

Neokun

Smash Apprentice
Four players makes for a ripping good time. Eight would be overdoing it, and since the Wii only does four controllers [from what I understand], eight players would be limited to online play. Eight players would be laggy as hell...and Hyrule Temple is probably the only decent example of a good eight player map.

Also consider how far the camera would pull back with eight people in eight different places on one map...Hyrule is bad enough with four people, especially on the 21" I use.

MiraiGen

Smash Ace
Exactly my point. I hate it when my characters suddenly become sprites. The camera's jumpy enough, I don't think 8 players is fair.

And, on that note, what do you think the chances of them decreasing all of the levels? From what we've seen of the stages in development, all of them are Final Destination with an animated MPEG in the background.

PinoyE311

Smash Rookie
8 players would be fun, but it wouldnt be so much fun with lag, so i guess 4's enough.

...and about the levels, i wouldn't really mind b/c final is really one of the 2/3 stages i play at with the friends anyway :D

platforms can blow me XD

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
if you're playing 8-player at all, chances are you wont care about the outcome as much as the finals at OC2.

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
This sounds like too much. The battle field would be too crowded. I'd prefer to stick with good ol' 1 on 1.

Wolf_FTW

Smash Journeyman
1)everyones saying it only has 4 ports but i think you are fogetting about a possible L.A.N feature?
2)I think with the levels they have showed us so far 8 players would be a tad much

Whirlwind

Smash Rookie
[SIZE="5 said:
[/SIZE]Diddy Kong, post: 1407865"]Its already confirmed it'll still be 4 player. You saw when Metaknight was introduced? Link wasn't on the battlefield anymore only Metaknight, Kirby, Mario and Pikachu. Still a good idea though.
First off, do any of you even own or have seen a wii? I do, and let me tell you, it supports BROADBAND internet connections exclusively, so the lag time is not so much an issue, second, this thing is FAST when it goes online. believe me, they optimized it for gameplay. I mean, if xbox live for the ORIGINAL xbox could do it, why not the next gen wii?

I also heard on some website or magazine that ssbb would support SIXTEEN players (who knows? i can dream). Now, this may be possible not simply by going online, but by the fact that the wii can actually have EIGHT CONTROLLERS AT ONE TIME. There are the four wiimote controllers, as well as four built in gamecube controller slots (like I said, you'd have to own one.) At least one of the virtual console games (a game downloadable off the wii shop channel, again, you'd have to own one) can support 5 players in this manner.

So, you see, it is in fact possible for at least 8 player connectivity, and even then, 8 player support may be feasible. the wii is a lot more powerful than you think, guys, especially when dealing with first party releases.

Gerbil

Smash Champion
8 players would not work. Plain and simple. For those who have argued the "To much stage" point of view, do realize that Hyrule Temple is the only stage that large. Also, if your at Smashboards, 90% of you must be competitive so realize a stage like that is useless anyway. I agree its awesome for casual fun, but this one stage (or possibly more in Brawl) is not enough basis for more than 4 player support.

Next. Brawl uses GC controllers ONLY. No Wiimote, no Classic Controller. It was stated a while back on this, thus limiting us to 4 players.

True we could end up with Wireless LAN, but do you honestly think that would make it more agreeable to support more players? Smash deals in frames, the more people logged into the game, and the more information the Wii is processing, the slower the machine is to react. To much of a good thing usually ends up a bad thing. It's best to keep it at for for continuity.

Now perhaps we COULD connect over 4 players, say for example with the tournament mode or when everyone is waiting their turn for a match. Then I could see it, but once again the controller slots are still limited to 4.

MiraiGen

Smash Ace
Next. Brawl uses GC controllers ONLY. No Wiimote, no Classic Controller. It was stated a while back on this, thus limiting us to 4 players.
Devil's advocate, but that's not true. Sakurai insisted to keep our Gamecube controllers, but still there is no official word on if this is an established fact or just an idea he was tossing around.

Kazuya

Smash Journeyman
Wii is Gamecube X 1.5.

I was slightly surprised the speed of SSBM and it's XTREMELY good programming and lack of in game lagging like some games. (Notice how TIMESPLITTERS 2 Slows down at some points during the game?). So I'm not quite sure if SSBB could have the power to support 8 characters.

It may be possible. Also, people argue that there are only 4 control ports for the Classic Controller (I THINK) but, we could also activate 4 computer players... So it could be, 4 Human players VS 4 Computer players.

Thunderslf

Smash Journeyman
I'm not sure about 8 players in normal battle, but it might be possible with 4 players using the Wii/Game Cube controlers nd 4 other people online. But to be honest, the stages looke like they were made specifically so that no more than 4 people can play at once on and are far too small.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
think of it 8 people on a level like Battle field or Yoshi Island (both versions) then again it is possible on account of the wire/polygon people where you face like 6 or 7 against you. my guess is no, no 8 player action for you

beebee

Smash Apprentice
I think that nintendo will enable the wii to have wireless communication like the nintendo ds or it will have LAN Connection allowing a player to connected more than one console together. I don't think it will have 8 player online play. Four players already seems like its to much. Their would be some much lagging. But this is definatly possible.:laugh: :chuckle:

Now say if nintendo really did make ssbb with 8 players. I think that eight player battles would be crazy! Say if they had 8 players in a past part like kirby's fountain. That would insane!!

Konuk

Smash Journeyman
well if we have 8 players where gonna need HUGE LVLs and thats gonna take awhile plus i think its gonna be crouded so nah * wouldnt even have 4-8 in his room*

Mr_Steven

Smash Rookie
i cant believe how many people dont think 8 players would be a good idea.

maybe because half the people on here are losers but i know when i play with my friends theres like 6 people at a time waiting for a controller.

Keige

Smash Journeyman
They should make large levels specifically for 8 players.
LAN needs to be added. Maybe you can have a tournament going on. When it gets down to the last couple of matches, one Wii is used for the matches, while the other one is just for exhibition, or for a camera mode.

explictness

Smash Rookie
i cant believe how many people dont think 8 players would be a good idea.

maybe because half the people on here are losers but i know when i play with my friends theres like 6 people at a time waiting for a controller.

i agreeee.

lmao

but on a higher note.

forget about all of the LAN and internet online game play, it's all good.
but then again. what happens if u have 8 friends that want to play? they have to get the internet connection and all make accounts to play or w.e?

i know i'm new to this and all and don't have any type of rank. but yeah

what ever happened to MULTI-TAP!?

they should upgraded it. =)

icymatt

Smash Lord
maybe because half the people on here are losers
Great argument, dood.

Anyways, to allow 8 people, they would need to redesign most of the game in order to allow it. It doesn't look like they're going to do that.

Konuk

Smash Journeyman
:confused: :)
i agreeee.

lmao

but on a higher note.

forget about all of the LAN and internet online game play, it's all good.
but then again. what happens if u have 8 friends that want to play? they have to get the internet connection and all make accounts to play or w.e?

i know i'm new to this and all and don't have any type of rank. but yeah

what ever happened to MULTI-TAP!?

they should upgraded it. =)
u have a rank ur a Smash N00b....and multi tap was for ps2 and ps so ur on something else :) still dont like the the idea but it would be kinda dumb have 8 player straggeling across the bored getting confuse who they are. Best thing is to take turns and wait even though what keige said how many of u guys play with 2 tv's ?

MoP

Smash Rookie
8 players is too much. Even though it seems awesome, the overall effect will be chaos. Imagine 8 samus shooting super missles 0_o.

4 players is good as it is.

eXspriggan

Smash Apprentice
4 player is good. 8 is possible (4 classic, 4 wavebirds), but i doubt it'll be in the game.

Konuk

Smash Journeyman
ok its a good idea at the start of the day you know more fun but at the end of the day Theres ONLY 4 PORTS FOR controllers :D

Top Bottom