• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The "8-Player" Debate

chalupa

Smash Cadet
NNID
TacoShell
3DS FC
3265-5071-3854
8 player would be very fun but need EXTREAMLY massive levels. like hyrule temple times 2. also if you have played bomberman 93 on the wii, you would know it supports 8 player 4 wii/classic
4 gamecube.

InfiniteFalco1337

Smash Cadet
Eh, alot of lag, unless they could make a mode where characters where less complex looking in the game for 8 player matches, that would reduce the lag, however i would be against 8 player matches if the lag would ruin the game, for online play u would need fast internet to work it good without it lagging.

Kazuya

Smash Journeyman
hhmm, i wouldn't mind having 5 or 6... But, 8 would be a little too hectic.

pesticide

Smash Lord
IMO 8-players = bad

there would just be too many people on the screen at one time! and i've never heard the "too much level, not enough players" saying on ANY level (except hyrule temple)

Red Exodus

Smash Master
I could picture some insane stuff happening.

Some guy could picking up a green shell and smash throw it at the other 7 players and send them all flying!:chuckle: :laugh:

beebee

Smash Apprentice
Even though 8 players would never be on wifi, It would be pretty sweet to have a 8 player brawl.
Just imagine 8 players in a part like Kirby's fountain.:chuckle: :grin:

Miharu

Smash Hero
It'd be nice, yes, but I just don't picture it happening for Brawl. It's already pretty hectic with 4.

Now imagine this. 4 ICs, except that each Ice Climber is being controlled individually. Now imagine this on a stage like FD. Not too big anymore, is it? Eight players would be a bit crowded, even if they do increase stage sizes.

Icy_Eagle

Smash Journeyman
Maybe it would be possible to use 4 gc controllers and 4 classic controllers since the classic ones connect to the wiimote. They have the same buttons with the classic having an extra - button and a home button ( + and start are really the same)
Even if it would be "too hectic" it would be fun to have the option to play 8 at the same time. If it is too hectic you could just keep on playing 4pl. or 1-1 or whatever you play.

FiErCe_oNi

Smash Lord
well, sounds awsome. i would only support it if it had some sort of feature for online play that allows you to alter what your screen is focusing on, so you're not being forced to watch annoying noobs stretch the screen constantly and denying everyone of vision of whats going on in the game.

Whirlwind

Smash Rookie
ok its a good idea at the start of the day you know more fun but at the end of the day Theres ONLY 4 PORTS FOR controllers :D
Allow me to reiterate. We are talking about the Wii. The wii has connectivity for 8 controllers. 4 wiimotes, and four gc controllers.

you argument is irrelavent.

Whirlwind

Smash Rookie
Eh, alot of lag, unless they could make a mode where characters where less complex looking in the game for 8 player matches, that would reduce the lag, however i would be against 8 player matches if the lag would ruin the game, for online play u would need fast internet to work it good without it lagging.
All we are talking about is the possibility of 8 players. Regardless of whether you like it or not, I would LOVE to have the OPTION of 8 players. As for the fast internet connection, the wii supports BROADBAND ONLY. there you go.

EVEN if they forgo more than 4 players, i absolutely MUST have online play!!! Nintendo has frustrated me to no end with their lack of action. All my Playstation and xbox friends get it, why not me?

ThatGuy

Smash Master
FFA's are already insane enough with 4 players, how would 8 players be fun? Maybe if I was drunk with 8 buddies, then yeah...but it's more like a 'Mash-a-quick-and-stong-attack-and-hope-you-don't-get-hit' mode.

I didn't read the whole thread so if that issue was addressed with a new idea, then sorry about that. But judging from the size of the levels I saw on the SSBB trailer, 8 player ANYTHING looks like a terrible idea.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
I'm not a supporter or anything but you never know, I am pretty sure people said the same thing when they saw SSB64. The only good fighting game with 4 people was Power Stone for Sega Genesis (I think) most gamers probably said "4 people? WTF? Some fighting game..."

8 player could be an immmense success or a colossal failure, just like 4 player started out.

FiErCe_oNi

Smash Lord
well, its not like 8 player mode would destroy the whole game. if there is 8 player and it is a failure, it doesnt change the fact that you dont have to play 8 player (like turning items off, turning pause off, changing random stage select)

Red Exodus

Smash Master
True, you could always just turn the other 4 players off and make it 4 player, just like normal. I don't know, even 6 is stretching it, I doubt SSB will ever go over 4 players.

Peppers

Smash Apprentice
not that u wuld but rite now on the game cube teams match on lots of lvls are extremely hectic and with moves like ganons dair u could possibly freeze the wii if 5 ganons r more are playin on a map like FD

Red Exodus

Smash Master
I doubt it would freeze that easily, after all Wii is a little more powerful than Gamecube.

Zink

Smash Champion
Whirlwind... the wiimote isn't going to be used for gameplay. Closest you can get is maybe using classic controllers. Online has lag, and there's no port for a system link, unless it's USB, wich would be really odd. Plus, try a 4 player match with all ICs now... un-fun. It's sooo hectic and random that most of the skill is removed.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
Lol I loved FFA IC matches, plus rep for bringing back good memories.

P.S. I'm in a good mood so just as long as you(anyone) don't piss me off you can get + rep, that goes for everyone.

jigglyppuff8

Smash Lord
IMO
Pros: jigglypuff vs. mario, luigi, peach, bowser, wario, donkey kong, and yoshi.
more costumes
able to take up the space on Corneria and Hyrule Temple.
Cons: lag
designing the costumes without making them look ********
no skill required (just dodge and let them kill each other until one is left.)

Red Exodus

Smash Master
Lol Jigs, it would take skill to survive in the first place unless everyone shouts " PILE MARIO!"

P3L!C@N

Smash Cadet
Allow me to retaliate. The game will not be played with wii remotes. It will be either played with the classic controllers or GC. Want a link? Here.
^^^That would've been a really good point/burn if you had viable proof, but google.com isn't enough proof for your point.

At least you tried...

Try harder next time.

beebee

Smash Apprentice
^^^That would've been a really good point/burn if you had viable proof, but google.com isn't enough proof for your point.

At least you tried...

Try harder next time.
I saw a quote on Nintendo.com a while back that said "don't throw you gc controllers away" because they were going to make playable with it.

bluebomber22

Smash Champion
Allow me to retaliate. The game will not be played with wii remotes. It will be either played with the classic controllers or GC. Want a link? Here.
This would have been a good point except for the fact that the classic controllers connect through the wiimotes. so it is possible to connect 4 GC controllers and 4VC controllers

Top Bottom