• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The 3DS friend code sharing thread: Find opponents here.

Spirst

@ Spirst Spirst Playing slow against greninja just seems like a bad idea in my mind at least there is no way to play slow against a character who can rush you down easily those water shurikens were killing me even though i had time to shield them i couldnt avoid the grab I could have played slow but in that mu i dont think it would help much what i think my problem was during those matches is that i tried to rush a kill knowing yoshi doesnt have many kill options GG's though those were really fun games hope to play you again some time
I don't play Yoshi so I'm not sure what his matchups are like but I feel like vs Greninja, it's all about being extremely reactive. Greninja isn't the kind of character who can be pressured easily and 9 times out of 10, he's the better rushdown character. I don't necessarily mean to play slowly, but what I meant was to try and mixing things up like baiting spotdodges for example. There were times where, had you baited my airdodge, you would've got me with uair as opposed to just trying it when one would expect it. That kind of "foresight" is always helpful. Greninja has KO problems as well so I understand where you're coming from. Good games, indeed. We'll definitely play again in the future.

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
GGs you pretty good
Thanks, you're not so bad yourself. Some things I'd point out though are:
  • You roll a little too much. Took awhile for me to catch onto, but I finally did when you started using Dark Pit and when I switched to Lucina, and then when it happened I caught you with a few Utilts. Rolls shouldn't be used as movement and are still punishable, and Lucina (or Marth) is definitely a character you don't wanna roll into thanks to her Utilt, Usmash and Dtilt (which can be canceled into a backwards Utilt, or nearly any move for that matter). Also I don't play Dark Pit, but I think you got a little too comfy with your Guardian Orbitars/DownB when you expected me to hit you, and I killed you once or twice with an Fsmash as soon as the Orbitars disappeared.
  • Sometimes you throw out a few raw smash attacks even when I'm out of range for them to hit, and I punish you for them.
  • I don't remember you trying any fake outs or baits, you got a little bit redictable sometimes when you were playing as Sonic and Jigglypuff during the first few games, trying to approach with spindash and charging up rollout (and self destructed once) both moves are really telegraphed and I wouldn't use them to approach. Also whenever you're in the air as jiggly, you almost always seemed to hit me without doing any empty jumps, at all, and I shieldgrabbed them. As Sonic, I would reccommend learning shield-canceled spins and spinshots to break the habit of using spindash as an approach.
  • Matchup, specific, but in the Lucina/Dark pit match we had, you didn't seem to try and edgeguard me offstage very much, if at all. Lucina hasa pretty mediocre recovery because her UpB gives a terrible horizontal distance and its easy to intercept even at low percents. Don't be scared to knock me offstage and chase after, your character has a much better recovery than mine. Beware of Lucina's counter and Fair though.
  • Not exactly a big deal, but sometimes when you were jigglypuff, you planked he edge and tried to sing. I caught onto it a little and dropped springs rigt ontop of you for it. I don't think you're gonna get a lot of mileage for doing that, I'd try to stop if I were you.
Just work on these and you're golden. My biggest suggestions would to focus mostly on the rolling, approaches mixups/predictability, and offstage edgeguarding; which will all help your game in no time.

Pr0fessor Flash

Smash Master
NNID
Snake_Midwest
3DS FC
1993-8618-5171
Thanks, you're not so bad yourself. Some things I'd point out though are:
  • You roll a little too much. Took awhile for me to catch onto, but I finally did when you started using Dark Pit and when I switched to Lucina, and then when it happened I caught you with a few Utilts. Rolls shouldn't be used as movement and are still punishable, and Lucina (or Marth) is definitely a character you don't wanna roll into thanks to her Utilt, Usmash and Dtilt (which can be canceled into a backwards Utilt, or nearly any move for that matter). Also I don't play Dark Pit, but I think you got a little too comfy with your Guardian Orbitars/DownB when you expected me to hit you, and I killed you once or twice with an Fsmash as soon as the Orbitars disappeared.
  • Sometimes you throw out a few raw smash attacks even when I'm out of range for them to hit, and I punish you for them.
  • I don't remember you trying any fake outs or baits, you got a little bit redictable sometimes when you were playing as Sonic and Jigglypuff during the first few games, trying to approach with spindash and charging up rollout (and self destructed once) both moves are really telegraphed and I wouldn't use them to approach. Also whenever you're in the air as jiggly, you almost always seemed to hit me without doing any empty jumps, at all, and I shieldgrabbed them. As Sonic, I would reccommend learning shield-canceled spins and spinshots to break the habit of using spindash as an approach.
  • Matchup, specific, but in the Lucina/Dark pit match we had, you didn't seem to try and edgeguard me offstage very much, if at all. Lucina hasa pretty mediocre recovery because her UpB gives a terrible horizontal distance and its easy to intercept even at low percents. Don't be scared to knock me offstage and chase after, your character has a much better recovery than mine. Beware of Lucina's counter and Fair though.
  • Not exactly a big deal, but sometimes when you were jigglypuff, you planked he edge and tried to sing. I caught onto it a little and dropped springs rigt ontop of you for it. I don't think you're gonna get a lot of mileage for doing that, I'd try to stop if I were you.
Just work on these and you're golden. My biggest suggestions would to focus mostly on the rolling, approaches mixups/predictability, and offstage edgeguarding; which will all help your game in no time.
For the 3DS Version I don't like playing Sonic because my R button is jammed so I have to use X for Shield and thanks for the Advice thats what I struggled with in brawl too

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
Yeah, sure. Add me and host.
Yo this is a little sudden to ask, but may I get in on this sometime this weekend (I'm booked today and you seem pretty busy yourself)? Seen you around a couple of times on the :4greninja: and :4duckhunt:forums and I happen to play both. You seem really, really knowledgeable, and I'll bet it'd be a pleasure to play against ya so maybe I could learn a thing or two :lick:

Spirst

Yo this is a little sudden to ask, but may I get in on this sometime this weekend (I'm booked today and you seem pretty busy yourself)? Seen you around a couple of times on the :4greninja: and :4duckhunt:forums and I happen to play both. You seem really, really knowledgeable, and I'll bet it'd be a pleasure to play against ya so maybe I could learn a thing or two :lick:
Yeah, that's totally fine. I should definitely be available this weekend particularly around nights. Send me a PM when you're free as well and we'll take it from there.

BobVance_

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FingoDingo
3DS FC
3454-1540-6867
Back for more competitive battles...anyone?

Fudgenuggets

Smash Rookie
NNID
Fudgenuggets
3DS FC
3609-1364-2981
Hey, looking for someone to train with one-on-one, for glory. I need someone who can point our what I could improve on with :4villager:. Thanks~

Spirst

Hey, looking for someone to train with one-on-one, for glory. I need someone who can point our what I could improve on with :4villager:. Thanks~
Me. Always wanted to play a Villager. I'll add you now. If you don't mind, please host.

Last edited:

Fudgenuggets

Smash Rookie
NNID
Fudgenuggets
3DS FC
3609-1364-2981
So do you have any advice for me so far? I know that I could really work on ground combos but I'm not sure what else I could do...

Spirst

So do you have any advice for me so far? I know that I could really work on ground combos but I'm not sure what else I could do...
Sorry, have to go now since I have a pretty busy night but here are somethings I'll say:

-Don't get into the habit of rolling much. Rolling locks you into the animation and set distance and can be punished if I know where you're going to be.

-Don't dash attack too much. Villager's dash attack is pretty laggy and can easily be punished if he misses.

-Learn to shorthop forward air. Villager has an annoying projectile forward air that's good for spacing and can keep other people out.

-Try learning techniques such as pivot grabbing

-Don't rely on the Lloid rocket for recoveries so often as it too can be easily punished.

-Shieldgrabbing is helpful against rushdown players.

Good games.

i wanna play o./
Tomorrow. I have other people I need to play tonight but I'll definitely try to get to you tomorrow.

Last edited:

Fudgenuggets

Smash Rookie
NNID
Fudgenuggets
3DS FC
3609-1364-2981
Sorry, have to go now since I have a pretty busy night but here are somethings I'll say:

-Don't get into the habit of rolling much. Rolling locks you into the animation and set distance and can be punished if I know where you're going to be.

-Don't dash attack too much. Villager's dash attack is pretty laggy and can easily be punished if he misses.

-Learn to shorthop forward air. Villager has an annoying projectile forward air that's good for spacing and can keep other people out.

-Don't rely on the Lloid rocket for recoveries so often as it too can be easily punished.

Good games.
Thanks! Gonna do a little training on my own for a bit.

Primer TMT

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Carlosva
3DS FC
4940-5763-3694

Good games.

Tomorrow. I have other people I need to play tonight but I'll definitely try to get to you tomorrow.
all right c:

BelitZ

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1375-7623-2393
Got to go, good games, you would definitely beat me consistently if we kept going!

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
Yeah, that's totally fine. I should definitely be available this weekend particularly around nights. Send me a PM when you're free as well and we'll take it from there.
Sweet! Maybe tomorrow or on Saturday? Either way, can't wait.

Top Bottom