• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official The 20XX Melee Training Hack Pack (v5.0.2 - 1/20/2023)

Sickolas

Smash Apprentice
Well you're still bound by the weird file format of HPS. The loop points only occur every 1.792 seconds or something. You can't just set any specific part of a song.

Other HPS's have different intervals, but i don't think anyone knows how to edit the actual offsets, or if that's even possible.

edit: the guide basically tells you to edit the tempo of the song to fit within the constraints of the hps filetype. And I would really prefer to have the original piece of music over a slightly altered version, even if the difference is barely noticeable.

Last edited:

Tityboi

Smash Cadet
Is there going to be an up-b OoS In-game toggle for the next update? If not, that would be a good thing to add...

Quillion

Smash Hero
WARNING: This applies only to those that are playing melee competitively!

Personally I think this is a very, very sloppy way of practicing that would damage your execution as well as give you a false sense of your level of tech skill. L-canceling also isn't super hard, and it's much better to actually practice L-canceling in combo strings in which a missed l-cancel is a missed l-cancel.

There are two things, one, you won't know exactly how many l-cancels you miss if your only indication is the flash. If you are so focussed to notice when you miss and when you don't based only on the flash then you aren't focussed enough on the other things you are doing. At least missing an L-cancel makes things a bit more obvious. The second thing is, even the best players miss an L-cancel every now and then, and as much as you want your execution to be as high as possible, you should also learn what to do when you miss an L-cancel. You need to learn to be aware of when you are in danger so you can act on it appropriately. By removing the consequences in practice, how the heck do you expect to react appropriately against human opponents?

20XX gives you a ton of tools to actually train so many different facets of the game in a very focussed way and can really help you improve your tech skill in record time. Don't use it as a crutch that would actually slow your development. Sloppy practice leads to sloppy play.

EDIT: I assume that if you have this feature on that you are actually frustrated by the amount of L-cancels you make. Perhaps it makes practicing combo strings harder or makes you feel that you get nothing out of it due to missing L-cancels. Whatever the case may be, skipping the step of learning L-canceling won't make you better and would actually make you more frustrated.

I can imagine a situation in which you practice without L-canceling in which you are able to see and could respond to a situation, say you are Falcon and there is a wonderful knee that just presented itself, but you missed an L-cancel, so now you can say goodbye to your shot. It's great that you would have gained the ability and insight to make solid follow-ups on your combos; however, what is the point if your execution is poor? If you can't count on your L-canceling to allow you to do the combos you practiced, then it earns you nothing and just makes you more frustrated in the long run.

Just know that 20XX is a brilliant tool to train tech skill, but it isn't a shortcut. Techskill is earned, if you want to play this game seriously then you need the discipline to sit down and run drills. It honestly doesn't take much, 10-15 minutes a day of drills will get you up to snuff pretty damn quickly.

Sorry if this became a long essay, but honestly I see this kind of behaviour a lot and people then wonder why they don't perform well. Tech is one of the easiest things to practice (well most of it anyways) but so few people bother to practice it enough.
I agree. Which is why auto-L-canceling and a hypothetical easy wavedash button are to be used FOR FUN.

You should consider it as being A Taste of Power, something that many games do already.

(Though truth be told, I would like to see a future Smash game feature very little landing lag and a versatile dash command, just so I can see how people would react to it. Melee fanboys would be up in arms about how "our tech skills are easy; this game is a cheat")

cptnkek

Smash Rookie
NNID
cptnkek
Will you add the changeable menu music from the TE to the training pack too?

Last edited:

ssknight7

Smash Apprentice
WARNING: This applies only to those that are playing melee competitively!

Personally I think this is a very, very sloppy way of practicing that would damage your execution as well as give you a false sense of your level of tech skill. L-canceling also isn't super hard, and it's much better to actually practice L-canceling in combo strings in which a missed l-cancel is a missed l-cancel.

There are two things, one, you won't know exactly how many l-cancels you miss if your only indication is the flash. If you are so focussed to notice when you miss and when you don't based only on the flash then you aren't focussed enough on the other things you are doing. At least missing an L-cancel makes things a bit more obvious. The second thing is, even the best players miss an L-cancel every now and then, and as much as you want your execution to be as high as possible, you should also learn what to do when you miss an L-cancel. You need to learn to be aware of when you are in danger so you can act on it appropriately. By removing the consequences in practice, how the heck do you expect to react appropriately against human opponents?

20XX gives you a ton of tools to actually train so many different facets of the game in a very focussed way and can really help you improve your tech skill in record time. Don't use it as a crutch that would actually slow your development. Sloppy practice leads to sloppy play.

EDIT: I assume that if you have this feature on that you are actually frustrated by the amount of L-cancels you make. Perhaps it makes practicing combo strings harder or makes you feel that you get nothing out of it due to missing L-cancels. Whatever the case may be, skipping the step of learning L-canceling won't make you better and would actually make you more frustrated.

I can imagine a situation in which you practice without L-canceling in which you are able to see and could respond to a situation, say you are Falcon and there is a wonderful knee that just presented itself, but you missed an L-cancel, so now you can say goodbye to your shot. It's great that you would have gained the ability and insight to make solid follow-ups on your combos; however, what is the point if your execution is poor? If you can't count on your L-canceling to allow you to do the combos you practiced, then it earns you nothing and just makes you more frustrated in the long run.

Just know that 20XX is a brilliant tool to train tech skill, but it isn't a shortcut. Techskill is earned, if you want to play this game seriously then you need the discipline to sit down and run drills. It honestly doesn't take much, 10-15 minutes a day of drills will get you up to snuff pretty damn quickly.

Sorry if this became a long essay, but honestly I see this kind of behaviour a lot and people then wonder why they don't perform well. Tech is one of the easiest things to practice (well most of it anyways) but so few people bother to practice it enough.
I basically agree with everything you said here. I don't practice this way, I was just providing the theory behind the feature's usefulness. While I wouldn't personally practice this way, I'm not going to say that this kind of practice would benefit no one. I can see situations in which it could be helpful. It's not for me to say 100% what can and cannot help another player develop.

ssknight7

Smash Apprentice
No. I have a post last page about music. Just replace the word "stage" with "menu".

Thinking about it...
Maybe there could be an option to let the user customize the action out of shield, much like the P2 Spam toggle. You perform the move you want P2 to perform out of shield. May be more trouble than its worth just a thought.

CeLL

Smash Lord
Maybe there could be an option to let the user customize the action out of shield, much like the P2 Spam toggle. You perform the move you want P2 to perform out of shield. May be more trouble than its worth just a thought.
I think it would be better to have a "generic" OoS option that you could set in the debug menu, or just a bunch to cycle through in game.

CeLL

Smash Lord
Is there a way I can regain the results screen and then implement an l-cancel percentage?
Skip results screen is a debug menu toggle.

As far as the L-cancel % goes the DOL mod Woogle made for it uses space already used for functions in 20XX, so you'd have to convert it yourself using space not used by 20XX. Even then it might conflict with (or just be overwritten by) some of the L-cancel codes in 20XX.

ssknight7

Smash Apprentice
I think it would be better to have a "generic" OoS option that you could set in the debug menu, or just a bunch to cycle through in game.
The best would be if you could access the debug menu while in a match, then exit back to the match. This would bring lots of possibilities. I don't know how feasible this is using the actual debug menu but maybe it would be possible with the training mode menu.

Would it be possible to customize the training mode menu and bring it up in non-training mode matches to make on the fly changes from there? That would be SWEET

T0RN

I'm Torn
Achilles, every time that I use the debug menu and it sends me back to the home screen, i cannot get past there. Press start it says, then it freezes. any help?

CeLL

Smash Lord
Achilles, every time that I use the debug menu and it sends me back to the home screen, i cannot get past there. Press start it says, then it freezes. any help?
Did you check out the FAQs in the first post?

A4Foot1Giant

Smash Rookie
NNID
A4Foot1Gnt
I have two questions real quick
  • How can i change 20XX so dolphin does not confuse it with melee when doing netplay?
  • How do i enter a stage solo? whenever i try, even on time, the match ends instantly.

CeLL

Smash Lord
I have two questions real quick
  • How can i change 20XX so dolphin does not confuse it with melee when doing netplay?
  • How do i enter a stage solo? whenever i try, even on time, the match ends instantly.
You have to change the game ID. http://smashboards.com/posts/17361219
It has to be a time match, the game ends when all but one player has 0 stocks, and when you start a stock match with one player, that is true.

A4Foot1Giant

Smash Rookie
NNID
A4Foot1Gnt
the guide did not work
i followed all the steps correctly but now when i try to import the ISO.hdr it says its not a BMP

A4Foot1Giant

Smash Rookie
NNID
A4Foot1Gnt
nevermind i realise i used the wrong export button the first time so it exported it as an image and not a "actual" BMP

Last edited:

A4Foot1Giant

Smash Rookie
NNID
A4Foot1Gnt
nope still not working
i used all the proper import and exports but now the iso isnt even recognized as a gamecube iso

micahclay

Smash Rookie
Why is it that in develop mode, when you use the C-stick, only Popo attacks? You have to use the A button to make Nana attack. I'm confused lol. Sorry if it's a dumb question.

CeLL

Smash Lord
Why is it that in develop mode, when you use the C-stick, only Popo attacks? You have to use the A button to make Nana attack. I'm confused lol. Sorry if it's a dumb question.
It is a glitch with the code used.
[COLLAPSE="Normal C-Stick Functionality in Develop Mode"]
  • Available as a DOL mod
  • Does not work with Nana
Code:
Normal C-Stick Functionality in Develop Mode (1.02) [Magus, Achilles]
0406AE90 38000000
040300A4 38000000

Normal C-Stick Functionality in Develop Mode (1.01) [Magus, Achilles]
0406AE48 38000000
040300A4 38000000

Normal C-Stick Functionality in Develop Mode (1.00) [Magus, Achilles]
0406AD38 38000000
04030024 38000000
[/COLLAPSE]

Last edited:

Kati

Smash Lord
Trying out the dual function, but my missiles seem to hit everyone. Known issue?

charmander64

Smash Rookie
Hey all! i just got this up and running on my wii and was wondering if there are any in depth guides on how to use the debug levels or if anyone here knows can help me out. it is super interesting being able to break the game down this way and i'd love to know how to understand the game better this way :) great job achilles

flieskiller

Smash Journeyman
Hey all! i just got this up and running on my wii and was wondering if there are any in depth guides on how to use the debug levels or if anyone here knows can help me out. it is super interesting being able to break the game down this way and i'd love to know how to understand the game better this way :) great job achilles
https://tcrf.net/Super_Smash_Bros._Melee/Master_Debug_Menu#DBLEVEL_Controls

Don't forget to disable the 20XX macros when using the DEVELOP setting to prevent crashes.

charmander64

Smash Rookie
Don't forget to disable the 20XX macros when using the DEVELOP setting to prevent crashes.
does that guide include no-debug-rom, debug-develop, debug-rom, develop. i guess i just don't understand the names. macros are the gameplay codes etc right? i saw a video where in one of the modes there were numbers or like frame data above on the screen

or on develop mode there are a bunch of plus signs on the screen and rectangles following the characters

Last edited:

flieskiller

Smash Journeyman
does that guide include no-debug-rom, debug-develop, debug-rom, develop. i guess i just don't understand the names. macros are the gameplay codes etc right? i saw a video where in one of the modes there were numbers or like frame data above on the screen

or on develop mode there are a bunch of plus signs on the screen and rectangles following the characters
Just use the develop mode, the debug-X stuff aren't important.

For the rectangles and plus signs, it's R + down several times.

Doq

Smash Lord
Is there a specific reason Hazardless Pokemon Stadium has such an awful camera?
Because it uses the event camera for "Jigglypuff, Live!", which seems to always point at the giant screen in the back; because in the event if the camera is on you and you do up-b, everyone sleeps.

Stride

Smash Ace
North-west England (near Manchester/Liverpool)
Any way to fix this?
No, but it should be fixed in the next update (it says so in the FAQs).

Bug report (this one is weird)

On the character select screen, Player 3 selected Zelda and then tried to toggle to Sheik. When they did, the character select screen bugged out and ended up looking like this (please excuse the webcam photo):

Note the locked characters (including Luigi with a character select token still on it), the character name and stars on top of a closed character port shutter, and the gametype apparently being "Team Slo-Mo".

When the bug occurred, the screen appeared to very rapidly "flicker" between the normal character select screen and the bugged one about 5 or 6 times (it happened too fast to really be sure). I also might have seen all of the character port shutters open and close rapidly as well.

After this happened I tried to start a game without changing anything further, and it didn't crash in the 15 or so seconds I gave it before quitting out.

Last edited:

flieskiller

Smash Journeyman
No, but it should be fixed in the next update (it says so in the FAQs).
Bug report (this one is weird)
On the character select screen, Player 3 selected Zelda and then tried to toggle to Sheik. When they did, the character select screen bugged out and ended up looking like this (please excuse the webcam photo):

Note the locked characters (including Luigi with a character select token still on it), the character name and stars on top of a closed character port shutter, and the gametype apparently being "Team Slo-Mo".

When the bug occurred, the screen appeared to very rapidly "flicker" between the normal character select screen and the bugged one about 5 or 6 times (it happened too fast to really be sure). I also might have seen all of the character port shutters open and close rapidly as well.

After this happened I tried to start a game without changing anything further, and it didn't crash in the 15 or so seconds I gave it before quitting out.
That's a known issue when you try to return the token to Sheik when Zelda is activated, the game doesn't know which character to switch and it glitches.it's nothing dramatic though.

Top Bottom