• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official The 20XX Melee Training Hack Pack (v5.0.2 - 1/20/2023)

Achilles1515

Smash Master
Do I want to just download what is in the download link? It says its 1.02 20xx file replacements, which makes me wonder what else I would need?

Edit: Also, how do I figure out what version of melee I have to make sure it's 1.02?
You'll need to have an image file of the game (ISO) and a program called GCR (GameCube Rebuilder). To check what version your melee image file is, you can use the Melee Toolkit (search it on this forum). I mention doing this in the instructions within the download link.

beanwolf

Smash Apprentice
Alternatively, you could get this or this and play on an HDMI monitor. I can vouch for the first one. It is lagless.

Just trying to spread the word of lagless HD Melee. The Future.

Raleigh, eh? I'd love to have another HD setup in the state. I'll see you at things. You should check out the facebook group and hang out with Raleigh ppl, there are lots.
I can vouch for the Sewell. They're identical in terms of performance, and you'll be waiting on the Neoya to come in for at least a month because of the air shipping. The big thing though is that you have a good gaming monitor to pair with it, like the Evo monitor or the BenQ RL2455HM. Some other TVs and monitors may work but we currently don't have a standardized method of testing them (Fizzi is working on this I believe).

Last edited:

mYzeALot

Smash Journeyman
Okay I just followed Beanwolf's guide on how to do it and I have extracted the final iso to become the GALE folder. How am I expected to run the game exactly. I'm trying to figure out if it would be easier to just burn a disk of the iso, because it's not working on homebrew at the moment.

Dinowulf

Smash Journeyman
Okay I just followed Beanwolf's guide on how to do it and I have extracted the final iso to become the GALE folder. How am I expected to run the game exactly. I'm trying to figure out if it would be easier to just burn a disk of the iso, because it's not working on homebrew at the moment.
He didn't mention in that tutorial that you will need the latest version of the Dios mios 2.9 or 2.10. Also a USB & SD is required for the homebrew channel/wiiflow version of 20xx

mYzeALot

Smash Journeyman
Is Dios Mios the only way for this to be read? And is burning a copy in disk form not usable?

Goatlink

Smash Apprentice
Is Dios Mios the only way for this to be read? And is burning a copy in disk form not usable?
use Dios mios or CFG loader, Disks are obsolete actually, but if you really want to run the iso off a disk, it would work

(unrelated) Idea for a code:

In doubles matches, the camera will sometimes zoom out, causing the players stock icons and percentage to cover up characters, like in the image below, as seen here

My idea aims to fix this.

Normally when your stock count is 5 or lower, the stocks are displayed individually

My idea is to make a code that displays stocks all the time as numerals like it does when the stock count is over 5

for example if you had two stock, it would display " :foxmelee: X 2 "

Maybe Im wrong, but I think this would reduce the stocks getting in the way of the players. Also I played on someones custom iso and their percentage signs were slightly transparent although I have never seen that texture hack on smashboards. Perhaps we could make a texture hack that also made the percentage smaller, like the same size as the "10" in my last picture.

mYzeALot

Smash Journeyman
I have not run ISO with CFG before, which I do have. I put the extracted ISO onto a usb but it does not show up in the usb loader. Anything that I need to go back and do, or anything else I need to get?

Killress

Smash Ace
I'm trying to set this up on my MacBook... I've gotten to the end of the process where I'm supposed to navigate to and load the "root" folder that I have extracted. When I click Root -> Open in GCRebuilder, the program just closes. Anyone know what could be going wrong?

lokt

Smash Cadet
I was messing around with the toggle for spacies shield pressure. I had the l-cancel flash code on, and fox/falco would flash red after every aerial. Is this a flaw in the shield pressure or does the l-cancel flash only work for p1?

fwb

Smash Cadet
Small bug in Dual 1v1 mode (probably doesn't matter): Even though you can't damage the other team, you can still "push" them (when you walk against them) EDIT: I realized the bigger factor is that your ledgehogs affect the other color too. Eh, that sounds way too much of a pain to fix for now....this is plenty useful anyway. Probably way down on the list of features to tweak at this point.

Bigger bug I just found: I go into training mode (after booting the game fresh and not touching any settings) and can't attack the CPU! (my attacks go through him)

Last edited:

LotoSage

Smash Rookie
Alternatively, you could get this or this and play on an HDMI monitor. I can vouch for the first one. It is lagless.

Just trying to spread the word of lagless HD Melee. The Future.

Raleigh, eh? I'd love to have another HD setup in the state. I'll see you at things. You should check out the facebook group and hang out with Raleigh ppl, there are lots.
It's funny, I've actually only started playing because a few of my good friends are in the scene, not vice versa. Hope to see you at some stuff too,man.

Achilles1515

Smash Master
I was messing around with the toggle for spacies shield pressure. I had the l-cancel flash code on, and fox/falco would flash red after every aerial. Is this a flaw in the shield pressure or does the l-cancel flash only work for p1?
This happens because their aerials aren't technically "l-cancelled". Instead of messing with timing an l button press, I just hard coded the (normal aerial landing lag divided by 2) into their landing lag memory address. So it's l cancelled, but not in the way that the flash on red checks for.

@ Goatlink Goatlink I actually found some really interesting memory addresses yesterday. They are ones that control the [datum] location on screen of each characters percent and stock icons, and then also memory addresses that can move each individual percent digit in relation to that datum reference. But nothing like a size modifier or anything and there might not be one.

I'll reply to more of your guys' messages later. I'm on a business trip this week so I'm pretty busy.

Fishaman P

Smash Apprentice
I have not run ISO with CFG before, which I do have. I put the extracted ISO onto a usb but it does not show up in the usb loader. Anything that I need to go back and do, or anything else I need to get?
If I have the 20xx iso, do I just have to google how to run the iso on usb loader?
Rip your Melee disc with CFG, then replace the ISO on your hard drive with 20XX. You could also mess around with the banners and whatnot to have both 20XX and vMelee at the same time, but that's a little advanced.

Achilles1515

Smash Master

fwb

Smash Cadet
Turn Dual 1v1 off and see if it works.
Even with dual 1v1 OFF (or, toggling friendly fire) I still can't attack the CPU in training mode.

This is important! Isn't sitting in training mode to practice your tech the whole point of this :p

I realize u can sit in a normal match with infinite time and practice against P2, but I kinda need the training mode features like the 1/4 1/2 2/3 speeds. Practicing the tougher stuff at slow speed has done wonders for me.

edit: Sidenote- why does Fourside get blanked out when you press Y? It has an orange border like the other "legal" new stages, but it's the only one that gets blanked. IMO it's one of the better new stages.

Last edited:

Foxdyfx

Smash Rookie
Dual mode is surprisingly fun. It would be cool if you could somehow choose what stages could be used for random music, like a playlist.

Achilles1515

Smash Master
Even with dual 1v1 OFF (or, toggling friendly fire) I still can't attack the CPU in training mode.

This is important! Isn't sitting in training mode to practice your tech the whole point of this :p

I realize u can sit in a normal match with infinite time and practice against P2, but I kinda need the training mode features like the 1/4 1/2 2/3 speeds. Practicing the tougher stuff at slow speed has done wonders for me.

edit: Sidenote- why does Fourside get blanked out when you press Y? It has an orange border like the other "legal" new stages, but it's the only one that gets blanked. IMO it's one of the better new stages.
Dang...somehow in remaking DOL files I used one that didn't include the addition of Fourside to the Random Select. (That bugs me so much because that's something I explicitly stated I fixed....).
Here is an updated DOL file that includes it the default Random Select after toggling on hacked stages.

It's weird that training mode acts that way, even with Friendly Fire turned on. I guess it just defaults it to off when playing in training mode. Training mode should work like normal if you go to the debug menu and turn the DUAL 1V1 toggle to 1.

Thanks for pointing this stuff out, though.

I could actually add in code to automatically make that switch to no Dual 1v1 once you enter Training Mode. And turn it back on when you exit (if it was already on). But...you know...thats more code lines I didn't want to have to use for "non-features" per se. We'll see though. It does suck that you have to go to the Debug Menu to use training mode.

Last edited:

Achilles1515

Smash Master
I'm trying to set this up on my MacBook... I've gotten to the end of the process where I'm supposed to navigate to and load the "root" folder that I have extracted. When I click Root -> Open in GCRebuilder, the program just closes. Anyone know what could be going wrong?
Are you following that guide on the main post for Macs and using Wine, or whatever, to run the program in Windows mode? I don't have a Mac so I don't really have an answer for you unfortunately.

Last edited:

mYzeALot

Smash Journeyman
Does this 20xx iso not work as a burnt disk? I know I've done it correctly, because it works on dolphin on my computer. I cannont get the USB loader to load the iso, which is kind of annoying so far.

hectohertz

Smash Ace
Does this 20xx iso not work as a burnt disk? I know I've done it correctly, because it works on dolphin on my computer. I cannont get the USB loader to load the iso, which is kind of annoying so far.
it should work fine as a burnt disk?

have you tried:
- making sure you can load a vanilla ISO through your loader (to insure your loader setup is working)
- running your new 20xx iso in dolphin (to make sure you made it correctly)

hectohertz

Smash Ace
GCR doesn't work under wine, you'll need to use windoze

or just grab the iso, someone posted a link in the melee social fb group ;)

mYzeALot

Smash Journeyman
it should work fine as a burnt disk?

have you tried:
- making sure you can load a vanilla ISO through your loader (to insure your loader setup is working)
- running your new 20xx iso in dolphin (to make sure you made it correctly)
So basically I run Melee off of a burnt disk as a normal gamecube game without homebrew channel. I did check if the 20xx iso works on dolphin, which it does fine, which I was relieved. But no I do not know how to run an iso off of usb loader, and I'm not exactly sure how to fix that without completely reinstalling it or figuring out how to try dios mios.

Malurth

Smash Cadet
I could actually add in code to automatically make that switch to no Dual 1v1 once you enter Training Mode. And turn it back on when you exit (if it was already on). But...you know...thats more code lines I didn't want to have to use for "non-features" per se. We'll see though. It does suck that you have to go to the Debug Menu to use training mode.
Is there a hard code line limit or something? Because polish is a really good use of code lines. It makes it less of a 'hack pack' and more of a 'feature-rich Melee.'

There should at least definitely be checks for Training Mode, as the pack basically breaks completely when you use it...which is especially odd seeing as the general aim of this pack is for training.

Mokumo

Smash Ace
This is one of the coolest things ever. I've been playing around with this for a couple weeks now and it's really gotten me to start practicing by myself again. Work has kept me on lockdown, but I really think there will be a noticeable improvement at my next tournament.

One thing that I think would be an improvement would be smarter recoveries. If fox and falco occasionally used their sideB to recover, that would be enough.

I know nothing about coding and it took me nearly 3 hours to set this up, but it was worth it!

hectohertz

Smash Ace
So basically I run Melee off of a burnt disk as a normal gamecube game without homebrew channel. I did check if the 20xx iso works on dolphin, which it does fine, which I was relieved. But no I do not know how to run an iso off of usb loader, and I'm not exactly sure how to fix that without completely reinstalling it or figuring out how to try dios mios.
if you can already run melee off a burnt disc, just burn the disc and launch it through whatever you normally use to launch burnt discs. it *should* work

mYzeALot

Smash Journeyman
if you can already run melee off a burnt disc, just burn the disc and launch it through whatever you normally use to launch burnt discs. it *should* work
Well my problem is that it doesn't work. The wii is unable to read the disk, and I know the iso is correct, and I've tried burning it twice. So I'm just wondering how to get isos working on my usb loader, because right now it doesn't read the iso when it's on a usb.

Achilles1515

Smash Master
Well my problem is that it doesn't work. The wii is unable to read the disk, and I know the iso is correct, and I've tried burning it twice. So I'm just wondering how to get isos working on my usb loader, because right now it doesn't read the iso when it's on a usb.
Where is the ISO placed on your USB drive?

Achilles1515

Smash Master
Small bug in Dual 1v1 mode (probably doesn't matter): Even though you can't damage the other team, you can still "push" them (when you walk against them) EDIT: I realized the bigger factor is that your ledgehogs affect the other color too. Eh, that sounds way too much of a pain to fix for now....this is plenty useful anyway. Probably way down on the list of features to tweak at this point.

Bigger bug I just found: I go into training mode (after booting the game fresh and not touching any settings) and can't attack the CPU! (my attacks go through him)
This training mode bug has been fixed. That bug also messed up 1P mode in the same manner, so that should be fixed as well.

After some code addition and restructuring,
20XX 2.07 - Pretest 5.dol
- Enemies in game modes outside of vs. mode are no longer default to be intangible (unhittable).

Bonus Addition: (because of the inconvenience of the last bug :))
- Stock Dependent Platform Colors has been added.
  • Only works in a 4 stock vs. match.
  • Doesn't work with CPU's or human players with controllers unplugged.
  • Permanent addition. No toggle for it or anything.

I'm kind of limited with the testing I can do with this, but let me know if all these issues are truly fixed and also let me know if the stock dependent platform colors works.

-----------------------------------------------

This might be the last pretest release before the official release of 2.07. Still want to add a few more things before that though!

Last edited:

Achilles1515

Smash Master
Is there a hard code line limit or something? Because polish is a really good use of code lines. It makes it less of a 'hack pack' and more of a 'feature-rich Melee.'

There should at least definitely be checks for Training Mode, as the pack basically breaks completely when you use it...which is especially odd seeing as the general aim of this pack is for training.
There is technically a limit, but I just started injecting code into parts of the DOL that are not in the beginning. So now I have more code lines to use than I previously thought were available (kind of).

I agree with you that polish is good and makes things professional. The only reason why I expressed that it wasn't totally necessary or whatever, is because it wasn't completely broken. You could go to the Debug Menu and fix it - but that is definitely a hassle. Automatic is almost always better than manual :)

Anyway, the polish has been accomplished. See post above.

Last edited:

Achilles1515

Smash Master
I have the GALE01 Folder inside of a games folder.
Idk...Try using my CFG Loader files.

Put the "usb-loader" folder on the root of your SD card and the "USBLoader" folder in your "apps" folder.

Also I would reinstall IOS 236.

And if you don't have your ISO in the correct format already,

(copied from a Facebook message I sent someone)
download this program
http://www.hacksden.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=696&d=1350496227
its for your computer
the ISO has to be in a specific format on the sd card for it to read it correctly
so what you want to do
is drag your .iso file over top of that discex.exe file
and then discEX creates a folder called GALE01 (in the same location on your comp that your ISO file came from)
and then you'll want to copy that GALE01 folder to your USB card in the location:
USB:\games\

Lastly, this goes without saying at this point(maybe) and is 100% necessary to get backups to run off USB, make sure you have DIOS MIOS installed. Not DIOS MIOS LITE but just regular DIOS MIOS.

Last edited:

mYzeALot

Smash Journeyman
Idk...Try using my CFG Loader files.

Put the "usb-loader" folder on the root of your SD card and the "USBLoader" folder in your "apps" folder.
ect.
Okay, I will try all of this. I did not know at all that dios mios was absolutely required, so I will make sure to get that. Hopefully this will work.

Edit: I have everything correctly, but the last thing to do now is to find a place to download DIOS MIOS.

Last edited:

mYzeALot

Smash Journeyman
Unfortunately I have to give up on the 20xx hack pack, because I cannot get Dios Mios to work because I cannot get WAD manager to pop up on my hombrew channel... At least the dream of having the hack pack was nice.

Top Bottom