• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

That **** turtle...

talkingbeatles

Smash Ace
Does anyone have any advice against squirtle? I can take the rest of PT's crew pretty easily, or at least I know how to approach them. But squirtle is so **** fast. I get trashed when I go up one on one with him.
It's a sad day when a turtle runs circles around the Cap'n.
What do I do?

litlwing

Smash Apprentice
im pretty sure squirtle is in fact captain falcons knee-cap. he used it so much in melee he had it removed in brawl to give everyone else a fighting chance. but yeah i know what you mean squirtles the hardest to fight of the pokemon the fact that hes invincible in his shell and that he outprioritises everything the good captain has doesnt help either. i guess maybe some shield graps would help and get under him for some uair but i couldnt really tell ya

talkingbeatles

Smash Ace
Yeah. I can hit him with a uair most of the time. But I can never land a dair or a nair on him. I assume I just need to play with him some more. How fast is squirtle by the way? Is there a table of speed anywhere?

litlwing

Smash Apprentice
on his feet hes actually not overwhelmingly fast charizard is faster but the way he moves and how fast he attacks and that shell are what make it seem like he flys thru the air sorry i aint much help

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I thought you were talking about G&W's B-air at first. XD

on his feet hes actually not overwhelmingly fast charizard is faster but the way he moves and how fast he attacks and that shell are what make it seem like he flys thru the air sorry i aint much help
And Squirtle has amazing DI from what I know. That's why he's a monster in the air.

I dunno, does ledge camping U-airs work?

hoopspr226

Smash Journeyman
Squirtle's running speed is actually very slow... he's prob bottom 10 or so in speed, just because his legs are so little.

It's his quickness and lack of lag that makes him appear so fast.

talkingbeatles

Smash Ace
Bumping this back up. I'm trying to argue for Squirtle having an advantage against Falcon on the Character Match-up thread. Right now, it's labeled as Falcon's only advantageous match-up and I'm calling shenanigans.

That stupid turtle still gives me trouble.

Thoughts?

Iwan

Smash Ace
Try out falcon kick, dash dance into a raptor boost, uptilts, and running A.

Get him into the air.

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
well if squirtles bothering you, you can just stall for two minutes, then when he's tierd you can own him
Unfortunately, that seems to be the best tactic against Pokemon Trainer in itself.

Or you could throw out a flying Falcon Punch at mid-high %s and see if he gets caught in it, but remember that he does have a fire resistance...

Wogrim

Smash Lord
My Falcon hasn't faced a good squirtle yet, but from what I recall squirtle's range is really short so you can probly get him with tilts and shieldgrabs and falcon kick if he's coming at you on the ground (except the shell, which you should jump over).
If he's trying to approach you in the air (and this is my general strategy against people who SH a lot for approaches) try a full hop (so you're above him) to diar, falcon kick, or even knee, or you can short hop backwards while he SH's forwards to hit you, and throw a falcon punch at the spot u were standing (punch only really works if can anticipate and jump at the same time; if you jump too soon then they won't throw the aerial, too late and they'll land before you and shield unless they use something with a bunch of landing lag).
If he's DIing away after he throws his SH aerial then dodge/block it and follow with a falcon kick or raptor boost (maybe fsmash, ftilt, or dtilt too, don't know how far back he can DI).
As with all the really short characters, it is hard to time an aerial to hit them before you hit the ground, so if you have to approach don't do it from the air. (lagless dair is nice but is a defensive move against ground approaches; don't approach with it)
Anyways that's all the stuff I would try some of it might fail horribly since I don't know what a good squirtle would do to stop me.

Airwalkerr

Smash Journeyman
Falcon got ****ed up in Brawl, and in my experience with him, has no advantages against any characters. Of course, he can still win if played smart. You need to guage your opponents tactics. When I play against PT, I tend to wait for stamina to run its course so that I can fight Charizard(i find him easier for the Falcon to fight) and if they just switch through Pokemon, punish it. Time a F. Punch to land just as they are comin out of Poke-switch and it'll scare em off of the idea. Timing's tuff but doable.

Aurashade

Smash Ace
THE HALL OF FAME WHERE THE COOL PEOPLE GO
Falcon got ****ed up in Brawl, and in my experience with him, has no advantages against any characters. Of course, he can still win if played smart. You need to guage your opponents tactics. When I play against PT, I tend to wait for stamina to run its course so that I can fight Charizard(i find him easier for the Falcon to fight) and if they just switch through Pokemon, punish it. Time a F. Punch to land just as they are comin out of Poke-switch and it'll scare em off of the idea. Timing's tuff but doable.
thanks captain obvious

do you come with a pink costume too?

Wogrim

Smash Lord
Ganons know Falcon better than most opponents, which means they'll predict your moves more often... I might start a new matchup thread soon cuz the old one hasn't been updated in a while

talkingbeatles

Smash Ace

Yeah, I have a pretty easy time against most Charizard's I face too. Ivysaur's not bad either, I just have to get under him. It's that stupid Squirtle I believe is the hardest match up.

Medic

Smash Cadet
While it seems that it might be a basic idea, in my experience backthrowing Squirtle and then getting some distance, charging, then dash attacking, followed up by a falcon kick tends to disorient the other player just enough for you to get a D-smash.
Alternatively, AAA combo can work on Squirtle very well.
Do not forget to footstool him EVERY time he Withdraws. Free shots. Falcon can move ridiculously quick, and the typical Squirtle players that I see tend to use Withdraw enough to the point where you can punish it hard.

Magus-Cie

Smash Journeyman
My Falcon hasn't faced a good squirtle yet, but from what I recall squirtle's range is really short so you can probly get him with tilts and shieldgrabs and falcon kick if he's coming at you on the ground (except the shell, which you should jump on).
Fixed. If you jump on squirtle's shell when he is doing a withdrawal, he gets stuck helpless on the ground long enough for a Falcon Punch. This might work in the air, but I have never tested it.

Also, utilts work great. The range is pretty deceptive, so unless the other character has a sword *looks at Aurashade* along of people will charge into it.

Wogrim

Smash Lord
Fixed. If you jump on squirtle's shell when he is doing a withdrawal, he gets stuck helpless on the ground long enough for a Falcon Punch. This might work in the air, but I have never tested it.

Also, utilts work great. The range is pretty deceptive, so unless the other character has a sword *looks at Aurashade* [alot] of people will charge into it.
Thanks for the fix, although quotes should be fixed with brackets where you change them.

Pink-eye

Smash Apprentice
doesnt squirtle also get the advantage of the elements (fire moved used against squirtle still has same damage amount, but less knockback, grass move used against squirtle has the same damage but more knockback, same for the rest of them (and maybe pikachu, but im not sure)

talkingbeatles

Smash Ace
well, based on how squirtle can move, the only advice I could give would be to keep him in the air, because juggling him with the uair short-hopped can work wonders against the stupid thing.
Yeah, this is actually my main strategy against Squirtle. I usually use Falcon's down tilt to get him in the air.

Top Bottom