• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Texas Tech/Lubbock Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

felix45

Smash Lord
OMG DRAMA TO THE MAX

@ adam - to be honest i was kinda sandbagging yesterday, but in a good way. I was trying new stuff out and found something that works. usually I try my hardest out of habit but I purposely wont do techniques I know work on people so I can pull them out in tourney play and get the win. also w/ out true motivation I wont put complete concentration in the game. so technically any time outside of tourney play I'll sandbag but moreso it is just to learn new stuff and find out what works and what doesnt.

I really do play my best at tourneys w/ money so yea. not sure about others but I know that is how it goes for me.

BOBA

Smash Journeyman
You almost had that, and on another point my samus isn't as good as his. Haha @ all the other matches you were ahead but killed yourself to lose. I see you do that alot but you can't deny that it is funny everytime.:chuckle:

jra64

Smash Journeyman
actually my problem with you ryan isnt that I think im a better player than you, infact never really have thought i was much better if at all. I have never been able to beat you that much even when i did practice, hell i beat roy more than i beat you but maybe that was because i played him a lot more. or that time he got frustrated cause i beat his samus like 7 times in a row cause he forgot i played matt all the time freshman year.
Actually, I was talking to Crono. I wasn't aware that you had a problem with me at all. I always thought we got along quite well.

my problem now is more with your contradiction. I mean telling me to be more competitive then not really showing that you are competitive in melee yourself.
I'm telling you to be competitive because you can be a really good player in Brawl. And my focus in Smash right now is that I'm going to get competitive in 'Brawl' and I'm not even decided about that yet, since I'm more concerned about my future at the moment and what I want to achieve in life.

i just find it odd that you wont come to it because there isnt money on the line or because there isnt someone that you think can beat you.
Why do you find it odd? What reasons do you think I didn't come to the Smash events, then? Truthfully the only person worth playing in Lubbock to me was Roy, and he would come to my house when we both felt like playing. There was no reason to go to Smash tournaments, other than to hang out with people I don't even ****ing know. Except you, Andrew, but you come to my house anyways, too, lol.

idk im reminded too much of why i left the smash community, having to cater to the "pros" instead of actually setting up something fun for everyone
What do you mean you have to 'cater to the pros'? I'm think you would have more fun playing this game with a desire to improve rather than just to play.

i can already tell you no about a money match, i dont care enough to prove you wrong about this. You guys won the set whatever, you guys made like 3 or 4 more dollars than us I think I can live with that.

what is with all this drama anyways, cant we all just get along?
What do you mean 'prove me wrong'?

I'll edit this later, cause there's a lot of distractions here.

Sintenal

Ostin
BRoomer
I'm assuming you challenged us to a money match because you wanted to see who the better team was. So im assuming by challenging us you thought you were a better team. So i dont want to try to prove that wrong because I believe you guys would beat us.

cater to pros means, making a tourny set up to the wants and needs of the competitive players. with all neutrals, high entry fees, basically making it a way for people to make money. Usually only a handful of guys will make money at a tourny(within the tourny itself, not counting money matches). So why should we cater to the few people that will win instead of vast majority seems odd to me. I mean if you want them to come back to a tourny you gotta show them that you can host something worth coming back to. None of MOAST tournies were organized in a way to cater to any of the top players that showed up.

reason why i find it odd is because most of the people(well what little will come to a tourny in lubbock) here are showing up regardless of whether money is on the line or not. Though sean's got a legitimate want for money seeing as its a decent drive for him. but i get your reasoning i have no problem with it, but you make the tournies more for fun for everyone. You seem to have fun, are you telling me taking away a dollar changes everything? You wont have just as much fun? Come on :p

like i said before i already played with a competitive spirit. I went to many tournies through out my day even OOS tournies. I got burned out, I've no drive to constantly try to improve myself. It is possible to just play a game without worrying about the outcome of it. I have played fighting games forever, you name it I've played it most likely ;x. Every MK, VF, SF, MvC2, GG, and even Primal Rage :O. It is one of my favorite genres to play, I have the amazing ability to play them without taking them too seriously ;x

stop making me make these long posts!

jra64

Smash Journeyman
I'm getting sleepy. I'll clear this up right now.

Reasons I didn't go to TGL tournaments before:
1) I wanted to be the world champion for Tekken 5.
2) No one to strive to beat. Even in teams it was Me and Roy teaming...
3) No prizes.

Reasons I attend (some) TGL tournaments now.
1) I have a interest in Brawl.
2) I want to play Shawn.
3) Beating Sintinel and Crono vs me and Julius is challenging.
4) There are prizes.

Sintenal

Ostin
BRoomer
i think we all learned something from each other today, stop taking things over teh intarwebz too seriously lawlz

everyone has a reason for to do whatever, no since making a big deal out of it. if you wanna come cool, if not whatever. Do whatever is fun for you(i feel like im in a bad afterschool show of some sort)

so yeah come to the tourny because.....ill play in singles? probably play ness or something, but ill play in it this time ^_^

felix45

Smash Lord
@ryan - you better watch out once I get better I'll be too good for you in melee then you'll just sit there going "wtf mate?"

hehe maybe not but you should still come for good times w/ friends :)

you should also add me as a reason to come ryan you know you want to :D

...So, who's coming on Saturday?
er me O.o

Twnkl

Smash Cadet
Ryan sure isn't making any friends by saying **** like this. You keep talking about how there's absolutely no challenge, and you come to events where people you "dont even ****ing know" attend.

This is a social event, and no one wants you to come solely for the purpose of playing this game. It's just a fun time with people that you get to know. I don't know what your social life is like, but it's rather insulting that you're basically saying that none of us are worth spending time with because we don't provide you a challenge in a video game.

Thanks.

jra64

Smash Journeyman
While your main reason to attend TGL is to socialize, I think the main reason other people might be attending the smash event is to play smash against other people, and socializing comes as secondary factor. Don't get me wrong, I do come to TGL to socialize, but it's not my main interest at TGL. If socializing is all that TGL is about, then why do we have a tournament at all? Why not make it all casuals? Hell why even have smash as a medium to socialize through? Let's all ****ing play twister...

Some people do actually come to compete in the tournament and there are others that come to socialize. If anyone wants to socialize they're more than welcome to hit up some games of Smash at my house. TGLs are more about playing smash with people that like to play smash.

BOBA

Smash Journeyman
While your main reason to attend TGL is to socialize, I think the main reason other people might be attending the smash event is to play smash against other people, and socializing comes as secondary factor. Don't get me wrong, I do come to TGL to socialize, but it's not my main interest at TGL. If socializing is all that TGL is about, then why do we have a tournament at all? Why not make it all casuals? Hell why even have smash as a medium to socialize through? Let's all ****ing play twister...

Some people do actually come to compete in the tournament and there are others that come to socialize. If anyone wants to socialize they're more than welcome to hit up some games of Smash at my house. TGLs are more about playing smash with people that like to play smash.

TWISTER you say??:cool:

@Crono: When is the next tourney after Saturday, I think I can convince Serg to go.

@Sint: ...That last post... Made me cry.=')

felix45

Smash Lord
THAT WAS THE BEST MATCH IN HISTORY!

I was laughing like...the whole time lol

edit: I'm free today after like 2:30 so if you wanna play I'm all for it.

Twnkl

Smash Cadet
We can have practice sessions at my place again, I don't mind. All the TV's are still set up and everything, so fine by me. I get out of class at 4

Vitamin X

Smash Journeyman
We can have practice sessions at my place again, I don't mind. All the TV's are still set up and everything, so fine by me. I get out of class at 4
Sounds good. Do you want us to wait until a later time, or come soon after 4? Just for clarification's sake. I don't think Andrew's going to make it; remember he pulled an all-nighter last night and he said he'd be catching Z's.

jra64

Smash Journeyman
Greatest match ever! That was crazy!

Hey, I might come to this TGL cause my friend Dexter will be attending. It will be his first TGL and I want to see how he does against everyone. He never gets to go cause he always has work on Fridays and Saturdays, but this time he has the day shift =D.

EDIT: I'll probably see if I can do good in teams. I don't know if I'll enter singles so I can see how everyone else does against each other.

EDIT2: Oh ****, I might not be able to play at all, unless I can put my contacts in. I have to leave them out cause I left them in too long.

Twnkl

Smash Cadet
At 6.

So far I know felix, adam, andrew, and robbie will be there. Anyone else who wants to come is welcome to.

jra64

Smash Journeyman
And what if I just wear my contacts anyways, Felix?! =D.

Hey, someone ask Crono if he will give me the bracket this time. I'd like to see the brackets when the tourney is over.

Sintenal

Ostin
BRoomer
how did you find my youtube account even though i posted that vid long ago in the vid discussion thread

BOBA

Smash Journeyman
Can anyone playing singles this time take a set from Matt? Only if Sint plays, will he not get first.

jra64

Smash Journeyman
Andrew, could you bring David's copy of 3rd Strike to the tournament?

BOBA

Smash Journeyman
Tell me how that turns out Felix.

Sint, go Bowser mainly...If you won with Bowser you would be my hero.

felix45

Smash Lord
you aren't coming boba? why not? what are your plans for today that you put before smash? besides dont you live in the middle of nowhere?

ohhhh that hurts doesn't it! :p haha I'm just messin. but you should really come out boba if you aren't doing anything, good times are assured if you do come out :)

Sintenal

Ostin
BRoomer
ill do it for you shawn

all bowser in singles

though i will probably go mewtwo teams

double charge shot ftw

*edit*

apparently im supposed to play Ness for his memorial so ill play him as well i guess ;x

BOBA

Smash Journeyman
Very well Austin, I want to hear how it all goes. Top 3 is good enough, it will be just as good almost, as first is.:)

@Matt: Is the next tourney gonna be finals btw? If so, will it be invite only? Cause I think I can get Serg to come.

@Felix: It is not impossible for me to come, but unlikely.

jra64

Smash Journeyman
I might enter with Donkey Kong, but I don't want to give my friend Dexter a loss. I wanna see how far he can get.

jra64

Smash Journeyman
It's more that I'm interested in how the rest of the smashers will place against each other.

I don't know if Dexter is bringing his laboratory or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom