• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Texas Tech/Lubbock Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

BOBA

Smash Journeyman
Is your name Jake? If so I wonder if I have ever played you. :ohwell:

@Ryan: Keep your mom and those other asian chicks on standby please.:cool:

Vitamin X

Smash Journeyman
Is your name Jake? If so I wonder if I have ever played you. :ohwell:

@Ryan: Keep your mom and those other asian chicks on standby please.:cool:
No, I'm Adam. You haven't played me before. CloakAndDagger is Jake.

Edit: Had I read Felix's post, I wouldn't have wasted time writing my own. Oh well. On a side note, I think you should come to the tournament on Saturday if you're not already planning to.

Sintenal

Ostin
BRoomer
what else are you gonna do?

cause there obviously no other games other than melee :p

says the guy that doesnt play melee outside of these silly tournies

BOBA

Smash Journeyman
You make alot of sense there Sint... The only question now is, is it worth traveling an hour? Oh, and will you play in singles if I am there?:p

Sintenal

Ostin
BRoomer
well better question is, do you REALLY want to play me in singles? Honestly, I am not that good anymore, i kill myself half of the time with space animals and peach is well, spamming turnips can only take me so far ;x

i remember back when I cared, i used to drive to dallas for smash on some weekends, o to be young and foolish

but seriously idk, depends how much fun you think you can have at these tournies. Depends on how many and who shows up I guess *shrug*. If me playing in singles will make that much of a difference Ill play in them i guess, cant gurantee how seriously ill take them(aka whether ill play someone like mewtwo or not :p), no point in taking too seriously since atm I have no aspirations to get better in Melee ;x

jra64

Smash Journeyman
Aw, cmon Sint. You're a big help for the Lubbock community and we need all the good players we can get. If I plan on getting competitive in Brawl, I'm going to need some good people to spar with. You are still planning on playing Brawl, right?

Sintenal

Ostin
BRoomer
play the game, of course

competitively, probably not too much

i mean, ill probably go to as many actual tournies as i go to now which is like 0

idk hard to tell, till i play brawl myself, but im not plan on being "competitive" for a lack of a better term in it. though to be honest i never really considered myself that competitive in melee, i mean i did play luigi for like 2 years(lawlz hes bottom tier)

jra64

Smash Journeyman
Then what you need to ask yourself is why you enjoy playing Smash, if you even do enjoy playing smash anymore. Before, you must have had the motivation to improve because of some sort of positive reinforcement. Why did you play more competitively before? Those same reasons will probably be available in the next Smash. So you'll probably have fun with Smash again. What do you think?

felix45

Smash Lord
yeah sint! never give up! never surrender! :p

good games today guys I had fun. learned some stuff too that I'll be using in tourney play this saturday :D

Twnkl

Smash Cadet
Yeah, good games all. I'm willing to have smashfests at my place more often, if everyone is cool with that.

jra64

Smash Journeyman
Isn't it a little late for you to be posting, Ty? Don't you have school and all? I'm an owl. =).

Sintenal

Ostin
BRoomer
because the game is fun? and i like to be good at the games that i play?

i quit being "competitive" because putting money added no fun AT ALL to playing this game and that seems all that the tourny community cared about. It was not that way when i first started, but it has certainly turned into that for the most part.

to me being "competitive" doesnt mean learning all of the stuff that is within a game and trying to be good at the games. It means to me more doing everything possible to win to obtain the prize. Tournies at first were fun because it was all about actually having a good time, not winning some cash. Now its all about making sure you made a profit at the tourny even if its a dollar. If i wanted to make money in my spare time, I would get a job ;x. Hell, I have only made a profit at like 2 tournies ever(not counting the last couple of tournies here).

so yeah, there you go. Also, remember I am nearing the end to college and trying to become a teacher. I really doubt i have the time to start traveling across Texas again for tournies especially when I am in Lubbock, at least 6 hours away from any actual tournies ;x

bah you people forcing me to make these long stupid posts!

*edit*

also look at the join date, i went to tournies from 2003-2005, including the FC tournies in Indiana. I think I earned the right to not to take melee as seriously now :p

Cloak and Dagger

Smash Journeyman
because the game is fun? and i like to be good at the games that i play?

i quit being "competitive" because putting money added no fun AT ALL to playing this game and that seems all that the tourny community cared about. It was not that way when i first started, but it has certainly turned into that for the most part.

to me being "competitive" doesnt mean learning all of the stuff that is within a game and trying to be good at the games. It means to me more doing everything possible to win to obtain the prize. Tournies at first were fun because it was all about actually having a good time, not winning some cash. Now its all about making sure you made a profit at the tourny even if its a dollar. If i wanted to make money in my spare time, I would get a job ;x. Hell, I have only made a profit at like 2 tournies ever(not counting the last couple of tournies here).

so yeah, there you go. Also, remember I am nearing the end to college and trying to become a teacher. I really doubt i have the time to start traveling across Texas again for tournies especially when I am in Lubbock, at least 6 hours away from any actual tournies ;x

bah you people forcing me to make these long stupid posts!

*edit*

also look at the join date, i went to tournies from 2003-2005, including the FC tournies in Indiana. I think I earned the right to not to take melee as seriously now :p
less QQ more PEW PEW

not really

anyone want to play today I am free all day long

Twnkl

Smash Cadet
It's funny to imagine Sint being a teacher. i just imagine him getting mad and insulting the kids/teenagers.

felix45

Smash Lord
I could imagine him teaching. but I also would imagine him getting mad a lot :p

I guess I know what you mean sint but I think putting money into the equation also gives a little more drive to do better you know? like if I dont try that means my $1 is on the line and I could lose it. I dunno its just a little more incentive.

But really I know what you mean sint. In dallas I never really enjoyed myself at drew's $10 tourneys because I was always discouraged and they weren't that fun. I like the $1 ones here because if I lose no big deal its just a dollar, but it still drives me to do my very best and hopefully come out with enough money to do a few loads of laundry :p

I'm up for smash on friday but I'm busy all day today.

Young Danny

Smash Journeyman
I want to apologize for my johning all last night.

It's "easy" to play fox; but peach is also very easy (loose) :)

Vitamin X

Smash Journeyman
less QQ more PEW PEW

not really

anyone want to play today I am free all day long
Want to come to my place around 6 and play for a few hours? If so, make sure to call first. My number is (817)-676-3718. Also, don't bother calling between 3:30 and 5 o'clock; I have political science at that time and I won't answer the phone.

After last night, I find myself in dire need of practice. Andrew, Ryan, and Ty improved. I didn't. And I really don't want to get my @$$ kicked in singles.

Twnkl

Smash Cadet
What are you talking about, Adam? You improved quite a bit, you got lots of rests all night :)

Vitamin X

Smash Journeyman
What are you talking about, Adam? You improved quite a bit, you got lots of rests all night :)
You didn't see my 1v1's against Andrew or Felix. Never managed to get more than two stocks off either one. (Well, Andrew SD'd twice in one of the matches, but...)

Teams =/= singles. It's only moderately difficult to Rest someone when they're only half paying attention to you. But thanks anyway. :)

And that's probably the last time you'll see me post a smiley.

jra64

Smash Journeyman
You'll post another smiley, someday =P.

And to all the people talking about tournies, the main factor that makes them so fun IS NOT the money. It's about you competing against other people in the world and seeing how you compare to the best in the world. It's that great feeling of self satisfaction and accomplishment you get from knowing that you and your opponent have both put time into that game and you battle your ideas vs his ideas. Money is a great addition, but the self accomplishment from continual self improvement is much more rewarding.

Young Danny

Smash Journeyman

And to all the people talking about tournies, the main factor that makes them so fun IS NOT the money. It's about you competing against other people in the world and seeing how you compare to the best in the world. It's that great feeling of self satisfaction and accomplishment you get from knowing that you and your opponent have both put time into that game and you battle your ideas vs his ideas. Money is a great addition, but the self accomplishment from continual self improvement is much more rewarding.
Encore!!!!

Sintenal

Ostin
BRoomer
pmatt shut up, you have no idea what you are talking about

play the game for once

Twnkl

Smash Cadet

I can only imagine that you basked in the warm light of triumph while the chorus of one thousand angels surrounded you while writing that epic piece.

Ryan...I miss us.

Sintenal

Ostin
BRoomer

so wait, how come you would only come if money was on the line then? If money isnt what makes tourny fun, then there should be no reason for you to not play with your all. cause just playing against someone else should be enough right? money shouldnt be needed obv

samusedaway

Smash Journeyman
Ryan got served OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHH. And now for some witty comeback about us "not being competition". Tell it to the teams tournament results. 2/3 so far and last time was close even with Austin killing himself twice.

felix45

Smash Lord
yeah ryan come to satrdays tourney

*****! :p

if you are gonna get serious about brawl you should prove it by going to every TGL tourney for the rest of the year!

although to be honest I wont be putting out all the stops on this sat. because I'd rather save some of my better stuff for when money is on the line :p
unless of course we get people to do the $1 entry then its all on the table!

jra64

Smash Journeyman
Wow, that was a great nap I just had.

But first of all, Crono, shut the **** up you don't want to start with me. =). And frankly, yes, in my belief, I can beat all of the players in Lubbock consistently, so no, it wouldn't be fun. I enjoy improving, and without the correct competition and goal setting, there isn't a need to improve.

EDIT: Oh yeah, about the teams... Come one Crono, you and Sint beating me and JULIUS? In my beliefs / ranking, it's 2nd (Sint) and 3rd (Crono) vs jra64 (1st) and Julius (7th). That averages to 2.5 ranking vs a 4.0 ranking (the lower the better, obviously) and we still beat you. Why do you dislike me so much anyways, Crono? I never did a **** thing to you. I'm not sure if Sint doesn't like me either. I honestly believe it's because you thought I was never that good, and that you could beat my Peach and you got a little irritated when you couldn't pull out the win and now you just dislike me for no reason at all.

If you're so proud of your teams, Me and Shawn will team against you to see how that evens out. And if you're down for it, I'm willing to lay down $50 bucks flat.

Vitamin X

Smash Journeyman
yeah ryan come to satrdays tourney

*****! :p

if you are gonna get serious about brawl you should prove it by going to every TGL tourney for the rest of the year!

although to be honest I wont be putting out all the stops on this sat. because I'd rather save some of my better stuff for when money is on the line :p
unless of course we get people to do the $1 entry then its all on the table!
Don't let me catch you sandbagging. That goes for everyone else, too. I'd rather be 4-stocked than sandbagged.

BOBA

Smash Journeyman
If you're so proud of your teams, Me and Shawn will team against you to see how that evens out. And if you're down for it, I'm willing to lay down $50 bucks flat.

That would be so great guys! I would do it, could even throw in like... 11 bucks.:chuckle: But if you guys (crono and sint) would be into it, can you not see even a little fun in it?:ohwell:

I always wanted to play in a match like this.

Btw, Serg is getting back into smash and I think he wants to start coming to tourneys soon maybe, so my future may be a more regular TGL attendance again.;)

Sintenal

Ostin
BRoomer
actually my problem with you ryan isnt that I think im a better player than you, infact never really have thought i was much better if at all. I have never been able to beat you that much even when i did practice, hell i beat roy more than i beat you but maybe that was because i played him a lot more. or that time he got frustrated cause i beat his samus like 7 times in a row cause he forgot i played matt all the time freshman year.

my problem now is more with your contradiction. I mean telling me to be more competitive then not really showing that you are competitive in melee yourself. i mean smashfests arent at all different from these "tournies". i just find it odd that you wont come to it because there isnt money on the line or because there isnt someone that you think can beat you. idk im reminded too much of why i left the smash community, having to cater to the "pros" instead of actually setting up something fun for everyone

as far as teams go, i did play pretty bad but meh. I mean we did agree to do only one set instead of doing another set so since you guys beat us in a set(finally :p) we didnt have another one. i can already tell you no about a money match, i dont care enough to prove you wrong about this. You guys won the set whatever, you guys made like 3 or 4 more dollars than us I think I can live with that.

what is with all this drama anyways, cant we all just get along?

BOBA

Smash Journeyman
I agree with the getting along part, because you are all wannabe's and I was hating all of you before you hated each other.:psycho: jk

But seriously think Austin, if you really think you can win, us VS you two, why not make a quick 50$ playing a video game? Although you may be against playing games for money because it takes the fun away, but isn't it worth making 50$ to play an unfun video game for two seconds?:p

Sintenal

Ostin
BRoomer
i dont know we could beat you, probably with my skill lvl right now no i dont think we could

so yeah, there you go i sux lolz

*edit*

i should really spell check stuff

also, i have no real problem with you guys, do what you want come or not. plus im not gonna throw away that much money for one set(assuming you meant for this money match to be a set ;x). I like my money :(

BOBA

Smash Journeyman
Well I think I sux worse than you!:psycho:

EDIT: Yeah I was gonna throw in only 10$ cause it is all I had, but Ryan has got the money and is willing, so it doesn't bother me. =D

Sintenal

Ostin
BRoomer
impossible, you beat me in our last set

so im the worst you cant argue that point

only way to prove me wrong is to lose to me, but that wont happen since i sux so much and will probably play some silly character like mewtwo :O

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom