• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Texas Melee Power Rankings and Tournament Listings

Tirno

Smash Journeyman
Texas PR

1. Mojo
  2. Tirno
  3. Broly
  4. Jake
  5. Kal
  6. Sethlon
  7. MT
  8. TSC
  9. GlibbyGlobby
  10. JF
Disclaimer: This ranking takes into account only tournaments and players in the Texas Triangle due to a lack of interaction with the remaining Texas regions.

To be considered for ranking, a player must have attended at least three tournaments in the last six months. Here are notable inactive players:
  • AustinRC
  • Darkrain
  • Reqy
  • SOS
  • Xelic
Panelists:
  • Broly
  • MT
  • Mojo
  • Sethlon
  • Tirno
2012 Tournaments

4/7 Pinkie Pie Productions 3
4/28 Rainbow Dash Dance 2
3/17 No More Mr. Riceguy
3/3 Rainbow Dash Dance
2/25 Kawaii Love Combos on Ice
2/11 Test Your Skills: Barfights 6
2/5 Battle Network
1/21 Pinkie Pie Productions 2

Kal

Smash Champion
I'm sure I'll get some negative reaction for this, but I don't think Jake, Von, or myself belong on the panel.

Pinkie Pie

Smash Journeyman
I dunno about you or Jake, but I would include Von in the panel since he is especially active, not just in Houston but in Dallas as well :p. He keeps up with all the scenes and may be the most active player across Texas.

Kal

Smash Champion
Being active doesn't really have that much to do with being on a power ranking panel. I think the character of the panelist and his level of objectivity is more important. I don't see Von as a particularly objective person. He seems like the sort of player to dismiss a win for stupid reasons; "Kal beat Oscar because he was drinking" or "I only lost because Rainbow Cruise was legal."

Obviously, none of the above is certain, and I don't want to single out Von. This isn't an attack on him personally. I just want to be certain that those we make panelists understand what should and should not go into the power rankings. I don't want, for example, someone to put Sethlon higher than he deserves because he mains Roy, or for someone to put Tirno lower than he deserves because he mains Falco. Or for someone to dismiss one of my losses "because Kal was obviously tired." I think the players best suited to avoid such nonsense are

Noc
Sethlon
Tirno
JF
Mojo
JOS
MT
GlibbyGlobby
EmilyWaves
Admiral

Pinkie Pie

Smash Journeyman
In this case, his activeness would be an asset to the panel since it gives him experience to gauge a larger number of players relative to each other. I have faith that he can put his dumb **** johns aside and attempt to make a fair assessment.

I'm not qualified to be on the panel. I don't even know who Xelic, ARC, and SOS are....I guess I volunteer to help manage the PR, since I'm actually really good at that ****.

Admiral!

Smash Apprentice
Nice going Emily. I have a few questions/suggestions.

I was wondering, is this going to be a Houston/Austin/Dallas/tiny bit of SA only thing? For now it obviously will be since I don't think anyone outside of maybe Broly and Vash play with RGV. They finally posted tournament results which I don't think they've done in ages(?). They also said they'd start posting about tournaments from now on. From what it sounds like they've been super active. They're not that much farther away from Houston than Dallas is. I think at least Houston and Austin should make an effort to go play with them. They are technically part of Texas so I think we should incorporate them into this.
I haven't been around long enough to have had previous contact with them so if someone could tell me why this might be a terrible idea please do so.

We should work on getting RGV(now Houston?) Vash's ELO separated from the other two "Vashes" . Around 3 people have already posted in the SSBMPD thread asking for this to be done, but nothing has happened yet. I'm pretty sure Vash would get a spot in the top 20 if not the top 10 if he actually showed up to stuff more.

What's the criteria for inactive?

In the OP's "Past Tournaments" you have Battle Network listed. In the future I believe we should include those, but the past BNs have been free. Most of us still tried our best, but some higher rankers goofed off and chose characters like Kirby and Mario resulting in some upsets that wouldn't have gone down if there was a cash prize. Maybe in the future free tournaments can count towards ranking, but they didn't know it would at these Battle Networks so I wouldn't include them. Edit: I also just remembered that this particular BN never actually happened do to it being scheduled on the same day as the Super Bowl. *sigh*

I guess we're only including tournaments from 2012 in "Past Tournaments?" You should change "Test Your Skills" to "TYS: Barfights 6" since there have been a lot of TYSs in the past.

Edit: We should totes put Infinitysmash on the panel.

That's all I can think of at the moment. Or maybe this was all irrelevant and we should be focusing on panel members instead.

Pinkie Pie

Smash Journeyman
This should probably include the whole of Texas. If RGV uploads their tourney results to ssbpd.com and if the three cities go to their tourneys and vice versa, I don't see why they wouldn't be included.

What exactly is the problem with the Vashes? Are there 3 Vash results that are displaying under a singular Vash? Give me the details for each tourney he has listed and their actual tags and I'll fix it.

It doesn't look like Battle Network had a tio file uploaded to ssbpd. Perhaps we should begin to specify which tourneys will contribute to rankings. Though I don't know if anyone really wants to get that serious and official about it.

I'll change the TYS name.

Admiral!

Smash Apprentice
http://www.ssbpd.com/player/Vash is made up of 3 different players.
  • Vash from Austin attended Pivot Wavedash, TYS Bar Fights 4, Fall of the Colossus, TYS Bar Fights 5, and Kawaii Love Combos on Ice.
  • Broly's brother, Vash attended Subway Fight Night and TYS Bar Fights 6. He's the one that I think should be ranked a lot higher.
  • Some random guy called Vash attended Winter Game Fest VI.

MT_

Smash Ace
I don't think free tournaments should be uploaded to SSBPD. I think tournaments with a minimum of a $5 entry fee should be uploaded; oftentimes we'll run $1 tournaments here in Austin but none of the tio files we have for those tournaments have been uploaded to SSBPD nor do I think they should be.

Just my two cents.

Broly

Smash Lord
Now that doesnt make sense. The correct response to my statement is ''I'm sure it does''

Broly 2012 as PR Panelist. 8D

Kal

Smash Champion
Are you ********? You used the verb "to think" in the first person. Hence my response "I'm sure you do."

If you're going to criticize my syntax, learn ****ing English first.

Kal

Smash Champion
And to the ignore list you go.

Though now it looks like a quintuple post.

Pinkie Pie

Smash Journeyman
http://www.ssbpd.com/player/Vash is made up of 3 different players.
  • Vash from Austin attended Pivot Wavedash, TYS Bar Fights 4, Fall of the Colossus, TYS Bar Fights 5, and Kawaii Love Combos on Ice.
  • Broly's brother, Vash attended Subway Fight Night and TYS Bar Fights 6. He's the one that I think should be ranked a lot higher.
  • Some random guy called Vash attended Winter Game Fest VI.
Ok so what are everyone's actual tags then?

Admiral!

Smash Apprentice
Vash, Vash, and Vash.
It's very confusing.

I think we should have Austin Vash and RGV Vash play a set for ownership of the name and the loser has to pick a new tag. Or we could just always refer to them as "Vash-Austin" and "Vash-RGV." We can't do anything about the third "Vash" since we don't know him so we should try to get him entered into SSBMPD as "Vash-CA" or something.

Kal

Smash Champion
I remember the people in charge of the SSBPD discussing some solution to the same-name problem.

dcx1287

Smash Lord
This is one of the few instances in my life where having a difficult-to-say, foreign, uncommon name is actually beneficial.

I think there are maybe 2 or 3 other Anupams in the entire United States. What are the chances that a 50 something year old investment banker (one of the other Anupams) starts playing smash in his free time and uses 'Anupam' as his tag?

Yeah, I like my chances.

Nine

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Philip
3DS FC
2294-4620-8242
So this tournament ranking listings is for the whole texas scene?
We have a growing community in Laredo,Tx
we have a facebook group as well here:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/NLandLSC/
I recently hosted a tournament though im not familiar with this ranking listings how do this points gather exactly?
Do we just submit tournament results? And where?

Broly

Smash Lord
I say drop this idea. Its way too late for a PR. The point for one is for other regions to come out and show where they stand. However, entering a tourny, we all know the PR list in our minds. Besides, RGV/Laredo cant show up to Houston stuff, just like Mid Texas will ever go South or West. IMHO, This will bring more drama[Kal] and will be detrimental to the Melee Scene.

Pinkie Pie

Smash Journeyman
Vash, Vash, and Vash.
Fixed. When they figure out what their official tags are, we can retag them.

So this tournament ranking listings is for the whole texas scene?
We have a growing community in Laredo,Tx
we have a facebook group as well here:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/NLandLSC/
I recently hosted a tournament though im not familiar with this ranking listings how do this points gather exactly?
Do we just submit tournament results? And where?
Yes we can make it for the entire Texas scene and it's great to here that more parts of Texas are getting active! Please check out the Player Database here: http://www.ssbpd.com/ where you can upload tio files. It's pretty simple, but let me know if you need any help with this :)

Here's a tl;dr of how rankings are calculated. You get points when you win and lose points when you lose. You will gain more points if the player you beat has a higher score. It does not take into account placings at tournaments, only head to head matches. This system is used in chess and baseball and some other video games. Read the wikipedia article here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elo_rating_system

I say drop this idea. Its way too late for a PR. The point for one is for other regions to come out and show where they stand. However, entering a tourny, we all know the PR list in our minds. Besides, RGV/Laredo cant show up to Houston stuff, just like Mid Texas will ever go South or West. IMHO, This will bring more drama[Kal] and will be detrimental to the Melee Scene.
I see we have opposition to creating a PR, but you seem to be the first to begin articulating a reason. Besides creating drama (which I think most PRs do) why do you see it being detrimental to the community?

Kal

Smash Champion
Creating drama is really a non-issue. At worst, I see the Power Rankings not doing anything. I don't see them having any negative impact on the community.

Pinkie Pie

Smash Journeyman
Even if there are no obvious benefits, that doesn't necessarily mean it would hurt the community. In this case, there is no reason not to do them. Obviously, if someone articulates a clear reason why they should not be done, we won't do them. But if there is remote interest, even just for fun, I think we should proceed.

Admiral!

Smash Apprentice
SSBMPD makes it really easy to accurately rank each player so it's not like it would take a whole lot of effort (if we can at least agree on a panel) to create a PR. It's also neat and somewhat useful to be able to look at every states PR. Though maybe it's just me who reads every single regional board...

Pinkie Pie

Smash Journeyman
re: panel. It doesn't look like anyone else seems to care....Panel defaults to Hannah, Kal and myself :p

Admiral!

Smash Apprentice
I don't think I should be on the panel because at this point in time the only way I can tell two really good players apart in terms of skill is based on their tournament rankings, which may or may not be a bad thing. Also I'm a pushover who should not be given any form of power.
I think Von and Broly, if he wants to, should be on the power ranking because they know a lot of the players in Texas and I trust them to be unbiased. (Sorry Kal) Other than that I would say Noc, Emily, Kal, Sethlon, Mojo (if he cares), and two reliable players from Austin. I don't know Austin well enough to say who those people would be.
Anyway I'm going to be away from Internet for two days so I thought I would get my opinion out now.

Kal

Smash Champion
Personally, I don't see Broly as objective enough, but that could change when he actually presents his opinions as a panel member. I'm ok with any panel, really, as long we see the work that goes into the final result (i.e., individual panelists explain why they ranked things they way they did), so that observers can make their own decision as to the validity of the rankings, rather than simply guessing whether the panelists are being intellectually honest.

I don't think I should be on the panel, because I'm hardly unbiased. I would have to check myself for bull**** logic pretty frequently. Better to just get people who are reliable about this sort of thing. Tirno, MT and Sethlon come to mind.

Honestly, our scene is small enough to justify a power ranking which only uses the Elo, with a rule in place to prevent inactive players from placing. The Elo is a very accurate ranking system, given enough time, which I think is evidenced by our current power ranking. An Elo also provides some incentives to players, as it provides immediate feedback vis-à-vis rank, and removes most forms of bias. Most issues with the Elo (e.g. Thoraxe, a relatively unknown player, placing fourteenth) are fixed by time.

Here is how Texas Brawl handles the power rankings.

Top Bottom