• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tetra for Smash Ultimate. Happy 35 years for the Legend of Zelda!

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I don't know how many of you here watch One Piece, but if Tetra had a Devil Fruit which one would it be? I think Mr. 5's Bomb Bomb Fruit would go well with Tetra or the Clear Clear Fruit would as well since she would be able to go anywhere undetected with it being invisible.

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
I've never watched One Piece, but I know MonkeyDLenny MonkeyDLenny is a fan. Maybe he can weigh in?

Hey, do you guys think we'll ever get a proper sequel to Wind Waker, like what they were working on before they scrapped it and made Twilight Princess? I'd love another piratical Zelda adventure, especially if it brings back cool mechanics from the original that didn't stick around, like the multi-purpose items.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I've never watched One Piece, but I know MonkeyDLenny MonkeyDLenny is a fan. Maybe he can weigh in?

Hey, do you guys think we'll ever get a proper sequel to Wind Waker, like what they were working on before they scrapped it and made Twilight Princess? I'd love another piratical Zelda adventure, especially if it brings back cool mechanics from the original that didn't stick around, like the multi-purpose items.
we got a sequel

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2

In someways, Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks are sequels to Wind Waker since that Link is the hero of the wind. But honestly, I don't see those titles as legit sequels to Wind Waker like how Majora's Mask is to Ocarina of Time but more as spin offs. But I don't think we'll ever get another hero of the wind Zelda title on home console again unfortunately.

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
we got a sequel
two of them in fact.

Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks: A Tale of Two Games | 25YL
I mean a real sequel! One you don't have to play with a stylus, preferably on a screen bigger than a postage stamp.

In someways, Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks are sequels to Wind Waker since that Link is the hero of the wind. But honestly, I don't see those titles as legit sequels to Wind Waker like how Majora's Mask is to Ocarina of Time but more as spin offs. But I don't think we'll ever get another hero of the wind Zelda title on home console again unfortunately.
I think of Wind Waker as the "true" sequel to Ocarina of Time, personally. It doesn't have the same Link, but it builds on Ocarina's themes about embracing change and coping with the passage of time (plus I'm 100% sure the Deku Tree in Forest Haven is a grown-up Deku Tree Sprout). Majora's Mask does something completely different. It doesn't really feel like a continuation.

I also have a theory that the friend OoT!Link is looking for in Majora's Mask is Saria, not Navi. But that's another story, and shall be told another time.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I mean a real sequel! One you don't have to play with a stylus, preferably on a screen bigger than a postage stamp.

I think of Wind Waker as the "true" sequel to Ocarina of Time, personally. It doesn't have the same Link, but it builds on Ocarina's themes about embracing change and coping with the passage of time (plus I'm 100% sure the Deku Tree in Forest Haven is a grown-up Deku Tree Sprout). Majora's Mask does something completely different. It doesn't really feel like a continuation.

I also have a theory that the friend OoT!Link is looking for in Majora's Mask is Saria, not Navi. But that's another story, and shall be told another time.
you can think of them as "real" sequels all you want but they are not.

it is navi

Lenidem

Smash Lord
you can think of them as "real" sequels all you want but they are not.

it is navi
There is sequel and sequel. The Wind Waker and Twilight Princess take place after the events of Ocarina of Time so technically they are sequels, at least from a scenaristic point of view, only more distant than Majora's Mask. You could also consider the art style and the gameplay to determine which one is closer to the "spirit" of Ocarina, but let's not go down the road of "true" and "false" sequels.

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
I mean, obviously Majora's Mask and Wind Waker are both sequels to Ocarina of Time. I guess what I'm really trying to say is that Wind Waker is a better sequel, since it actually builds on the themes and ideas of Ocarina of Time, and Majora's Mask does not.

it is navi
Where in the game does it say that it's Navi?

Last edited:

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
So, nowhere? The sound effect doesn't necessarily mean anything, and the story makes much more sense if you assume Link is looking for Saria.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
So, nowhere? The sound effect doesn't necessarily mean anything, and the story makes much more sense if you assume Link is looking for Saria.
how? navi left we know this, theres nothing that says saria left

more to the point the friend hes said to be looking for is described as: Done with the battles he once waged across time, he embarked on a journey. A secret and personal journey... A journey in search of a beloved and invaluable friend... A friend with whom he parted ways when he finally fulfilled his heroic destiny and took his place among legends...
meaning the person he parted ways with at the end of OoT

it also says navi is the one hes looking for in hyrule historia

Last edited:

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
how? navi left we know this, theres nothing that says saria left
Did you just stop playing before the Forest Temple?

more to the point the friend hes said to be looking for is described as: Done with the battles he once waged across time, he embarked on a journey. A secret and personal journey... A journey in search of a beloved and invaluable friend... A friend with whom he parted ways when he finally fulfilled his heroic destiny and took his place among legends...
meaning the person he parted ways with at the end of OoT
That can be interpreted a lot of ways. Note that it doesn't actually name the friend. And if you actually look at the game, it makes much more sense that Link was looking for Saria.

Saria was Link's best and oldest friend. She's strongly associated with the Lost Woods, where Link went looking for his unnamed friend. She's the one he had to leave behind in order to follow his destiny, so it checks out that he wants to reconnect with her when it's all over.

Majora's Mask is all about loss and grief. It's about Link coming to terms with the fact that he can never see his friend again. Skull Kid turned rotten because he couldn't do that. When his (conspicuously green-haired!) friends had to say goodbye, he let his grief take over until it made him hurt himself and those around him. He's a reflection of what Link can become if he doesn't accept his loss and let go.

And what happens in the end? We learn that Skull Kid was also touched by Saria, in a way (he loved her song). Link and Skull Kid become friends, united in part by their connection to this person. The last thing we see in the game is a picture of Skull Kid and Link being buddies... carved into a little tree stump like where Saria used to sit, maybe even the same one. The last thing we hear are the first six notes of Saria's Song.

Like I said, the game is ambiguous, so if you think Link's friend is definitely Navi, more power to you. I just think that if it was Navi, the game wouldn't just play a sound effect and then forget about her forever.

it also says navi is the one hes looking for in hyrule historia
The Hyrule Historia says a lot of iffy things. It's basically the Pottermore of Zelda. A lot of that stuff clearly wasn't intended at the time the games were made.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Did you just stop playing before the Forest Temple?
why would the events of a separate branch of the timeline effect MM?

That can be interpreted a lot of ways. Note that it doesn't actually name the friend. And if you actually look at the game, it makes much more sense that Link was looking for Saria.

Saria was Link's best and oldest friend. She's strongly associated with the Lost Woods, where Link went looking for his unnamed friend. She's the one he had to leave behind in order to follow his destiny, so it checks out that he wants to reconnect with her when it's all over.

Majora's Mask is all about loss and grief. It's about Link coming to terms with the fact that he can never see his friend again. Skull Kid turned rotten because he couldn't do that. When his (conspicuously green-haired!) friends had to say goodbye, he let his grief take over until it made him hurt himself and those around him. He's a reflection of what Link can become if he doesn't accept his loss and let go.

And what happens in the end? We learn that Skull Kid was also touched by Saria, in a way (he loved her song). Link and Skull Kid become friends, united in part by their connection to this person. The last thing we see in the game is a picture of Skull Kid and Link being buddies... carved into a little tree stump like where Saria used to sit, maybe even the same one. The last thing we hear are the first six notes of Saria's Song.

Like I said, the game is ambiguous, so if you think Link's friend is definitely Navi, more power to you. I just think that if it was Navi, the game wouldn't just play a sound effect and then forget about her forever.
the skull kid from MM is meant to be the one from OoT who knew saria. navi is also from the woods so thats a moot point. where does it say link will never see saria again? MM i set in a time where link prevents the events of OoT from happening, meaning saria never became a sage and ganondorf was executed. navi is the only one who he would never see again from what we know.

The Hyrule Historia says a lot of iffy things. It's basically the Pottermore of Zelda. A lot of that stuff clearly wasn't intended at the time the games were made.
it comes from the people who decides what's canon and what's not but if you wanna stick your fingers in your ears and go "la la la not canon" then more power to you

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
why would the events of a separate branch of the timeline effect MM?
Because Link still remembers them? Because they're still meaningful to him, and MM is all about his "secret and personal journey?"

the skull kid from MM is meant to be the one from OoT who knew saria.
You realize that just strengthens my point, right?

navi is also from the woods so thats a moot point.
I said the Lost Woods are strongly associated with Saria, much more so than Navi. It's where all the big Saria moments happen (including the famous bridge scene, which is basically the thesis of the whole game) and where you always hear her theme.

where does it say link will never see saria again?
Here:

MM i set in a time where link prevents the events of OoT from happening, meaning saria never became a sage and ganondorf was executed. navi is the only one who he would never see again from what we know.
Why can't Link see Navi again? Where does it say that? And more to the point, how do you know Link would be satisfied to just see Saria again? Maybe he's longing for something more, like their old friendship. They definitely can't have that again, since he grew up and she didn't. They can't relate to each other in quite the same way because of their wildly different experiences. There are millions of possible explanations.

(And yes, I know he's back in the past and on another timeline, but that doesn't mean his adventures didn't happen. They're still real to him. He went from being a little kid in an adult's body to being an adult in a little kid's body. Imagine going back in time and trying to hang out with your best buddy from the third grade. It wouldn't and couldn't be the same.)

it comes from the people who decides what's canon and what's not but if you wanna stick your fingers in your ears and go "la la la not canon" then more power to you
Looking at the game yourself and drawing your own conclusions isn't "sticking your fingers in your ears," especially since every "official timeline" Nintendo puts out contradicts the last one.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Because Link still remembers them? Because they're still meaningful to him, and MM is all about his "secret and personal journey?"

You realize that just strengthens my point, right?

I said the Lost Woods are strongly associated with Saria, much more so than Navi. It's where all the big Saria moments happen (including the famous bridge scene, which is basically the thesis of the whole game) and where you always hear her theme.

Here:

Why can't Link see Navi again? Where does it say that? And more to the point, how do you know Link would be satisfied to just see Saria again? Maybe he's longing for something more, like their old friendship. They definitely can't have that again, since he grew up and she didn't. They can't relate to each other in quite the same way because of their wildly different experiences. There are millions of possible explanations.

(And yes, I know he's back in the past and on another timeline, but that doesn't mean his adventures didn't happen. They're still real to him. He went from being a little kid in an adult's body to being an adult in a little kid's body. Imagine going back in time and trying to hang out with your best buddy from the third grade. It wouldn't and couldn't be the same.)

Looking at the game yourself and drawing your own conclusions isn't "sticking your fingers in your ears," especially since every "official timeline" Nintendo puts out contradicts the last one.
so what youre saying is "nintendo contradicts itself so we might as well ignore everything they say and come up with whatever takes our fancy" nintendo said its canon so its canon, we the fans do not get to decide whats canon in their story.

and if the saria he's missing is the one from the adult timeline why would he be looking for her? he would know he cant find her

Last edited:

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
Why are you so incredibly hostile to someone having their own interpretation of these games? Did Roland Barthes hurt you?

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Why are you so incredibly hostile to someone having their own interpretation of these games? Did Roland Barthes hurt you?
your “interpretation” is based on wilful ignorance of the canon. Fan theories and head canons are all very well and good but when the story teller tells you what’s canon that’s it! Why are you so determined to say what the Zelda teams says isn’t canon did eiji anouma hurt you?

who on earth is Roland Barthes?

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
Dog, "canon" isn't more real than my or any fan's interpretation. All fiction is equally fictional. Stop telling me I'm using my imagination wrong. And you can find out who Roland Barthes is by visiting your local Wikipedia.

Also we should probably talk about Tetra. She's great! Toon Zelda alt, maybe?

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Please stop this current line of discussion and return to the actual meaning of the thread - Tetra in Smash. If you want to talk about Zelda canon and want not, do it via profile posts or private messages. Continuing with this discussion will result in spam warnings.

Last edited:

Mr. Stevenson

Smash Ace
Ok I’ll start a more fitting topic. While she’s very unlikely at this point (sadly), if Tetra were to be DLC I wonder what stage would she bring along with her, given that we already have her ship. Personally I’d go with Outset Island. You could see a lot of familiar faces as cameos like Aryll, Granny and that purple haired lady with the pots on top of her hair, for example. Maybe you could see her ship sailing in the background as well. As for stage hazards, I’m not too sure, perhaps the giant falcon flying by and taking you off stage, in case you get captured by his claws.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Please stop this current line of discussion and return to the actual meaning of the thread - Tetra in Smash. If you want to talk about Zelda canon and want not, do it via profile posts or private messages. Continuing with this discussion will result in spam warnings.
Can we still talk about the Zelda games that have Tetra in it?

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
Ok I’ll start a more fitting topic. While she’s very unlikely at this point (sadly), if Tetra were to be DLC I wonder what stage would she bring along with her, given that we already have her ship. Personally I’d go with Outset Island. You could see a lot of familiar faces as cameos like Aryll, Granny and that purple haired lady with the pots on top of her hair, for example. Maybe you could see her ship sailing in the background as well. As for stage hazards, I’m not too sure, perhaps the giant falcon flying by and taking you off stage, in case you get captured by his claws.
I think the Forsaken Fortress is the most logical choice. It could even have the Helmaroc King as a stage boss, if they're still doing that. Personally, I'd prefer Forest Haven and/or the Forbidden Woods. Imagine fighting on the Deku Tree, rocketing around with Baba Buds, avoiding Dexivines that gradually damage you. Sounds pretty fun to me!

duxx

Smash Ace
I think a large scale stage a la great cave offensive or temple could be cool, preferably based off one of the wind waker dungeons/temples

Top Bottom