• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tekken 6 vs Melee

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crimson)S(hadow

Smash Apprentice
what's more technical? me and cousins are arguing, he doesn't even play melee and says tekken takes hella skill. to me i looked at some tourney matches it looks like its so much more technically easy game to get good at.

Pikaville

Pikaville returns 10 years later.
Tekken 6 isprobably NOT as technical as smash.Ive played both series ALOT.

Smash has a billion character specific techniques.Tekken has very few.Mainly just a few really good exploitable combos with each character.Whereas smash characters can have incredibly unique techniques.

King however brings technical to the table with massive multi grabs requiring ridiculous button combos in perfect timing,as does Dragunov.

I reckon melee is more technical just because there are so many varied ways to outsmart your opponent,as well as many many tricks with every character.The air game is more complex over all.Defense game is more complex.You have to have faster fingers for sure.

Yeah I give it to smash.

Also a button bashing noob can beat a pro in Tekken using Bob which is kinda stupid.

Mota

"The snake, knowing itself, strikes swiftly"
As much as I love Tekken, melee is much more technical.
The juggling in Tekken is hella easy
Now how long does it take to learn and fully integrate melee ATs into a playstyle?

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
3D fighters in general are fairly easy when compared to the 2D fighters, except for Blazblue. Tekken tries to make up for it by giving the game intense depth by giving players a huge number of moves and having a huge roster.

Masmasher@

Smash Lord
Cleveland, Ohio! my homeplace but for now living i
Really it depends...
If your going to argue technical it really becomes character specific.
Honestly melee doesnt have alot of character specific techniques. Not many that are useful anyway.

Edit: why do people say bring up "a button mashing noob can beat a pro" arguement. if your so called "pro" gets beat by a button masher then he sucks.

Pikaville

Really it depends...
If your going to argue technical it really becomes character specific.
Honestly melee doesnt have alot of character specific techniques. Not many that are useful anyway.

Edit: why do people say bring up "a button mashing noob can beat a pro" arguement. if your so called "pro" gets beat by a button masher then he sucks.
Dude melee has a ton of character specific techniques that are useful.Falco SH laser,Fox falco Waveshine,needle cancelling,peaches float cancel,pillaring,chaingrabbing,wall of pain,windmilling(lol)de-syncing,IASA moves,ledge invulnerability/stalls to name but a few.

I mean come on!

Tekken is about anticipating the block then punishing.If a button bashing noob hits with an unpredicted move with Eddie gordo it's at least half your health gone,that's how he rolls.

Masmasher@

Smash Lord
Dude melee has a ton of character specific techniques that are useful.Falco SH laser,Fox falco Waveshine,needle cancelling,peaches float cancel,pillaring,chaingrabbing,wall of pain,windmilling(lol)de-syncing,IASA moves,ledge invulnerability/stalls to name but a few.

I mean come on!

Tekken is about anticipating the block then punishing.If a button bashing noob hits with an unpredicted move with Eddie gordo it's at least half your health gone,that's how he rolls.
Chaingrabbing is universal. also many characters can stall.

also lol at you dumbing down tekken. Melee is about hit and grab See what i did there. Tekken hasdifferent levels of hitting. Also in tekken there are character specific moves also like steves dck cancel, kazuyas wavedash EWGF, laws DSS cancels ninas rising wall carry and there are many others. Also i will say this again if you are complaining about a "mashing eddy" hitting you for half your health then you dont know much about tekken. There arent any feasable combos that take half health.

Mr.Victory07

Smash Lord
Considering how radically different Tekken and Melee are, I dont think you can really say which one is technically harder.

day-day

Smash Ace

also lol at you dumbing down tekken. Melee is about hit and grab See what i did there. Tekken hasdifferent levels of hitting. Also in tekken there are character specific moves also like steves dck cancel, kazuyas wavedash EWGF, laws DSS cancels ninas rising wall carry and there are many others. Also i will say this again if you are complaining about a "mashing eddy" hitting you for half your health then you dont know much about tekken. There arent any feasable combos that take half health.
Don't forget pretty much anyone with Mishima blood can do EWGF, including Lars I believe. There's also throw breaks, juggling in general, the moves masmasher posted as well. Also, which tekken are you referring to where Eddy can be button mashed to knock off half of your health? It doesn't take much to stop a "mashing eddy" in Tekken. One good low kick will be able to knock him out of his rhythm.

MajorMoses

Smash Journeyman
I'm just quoting Samurai Panda on this one, but there is one thing that sets Melee apart from any other fighter out there and I'm not talking about the damage percentages or ledge game. In any traditional fighter, you can use a low kick and it will do a set amount of damage and hitstun. The same thing happens every time you use the low kick. However, take Link's down tilt in Melee. In addition to the fact that it sends you flying further and further depending on damage, it also has the ability to spike players off the edge. The game evolves constantly as different attacks do different things at different percents and different parts of the body. In Tekken and most other fighters, the dynamics of the game barely change as the fight goes on. Whittle down their health and the same tactic you used at the beginning of the stock (life) can still be used at the end (assuming they haven't predicted your moves).

Pikaville

You can button bash in Tekken and win.In smash this will make you do a whole load of nothing.Thats all im saying.I dont have a problem with Eddie im just using him as an example.If any character is getting a mention for being stupidly good its bob or Jin.

You also said there is no feasable combos that take half health.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROaZ23hx5io

There you go.

I play King,Baek,Feng and Nina mostly,all of which have combos capable of ****** 50% of your health.(Especially Baek and King)

and chaingrabbing is HARDLY universal.If anything it's very matchup specific.

Masmasher@

Smash Lord
You can button bash in Tekken and win.In smash this will make you do a whole load of nothing.Thats all im saying.I dont have a problem with Eddie im just using him as an example.If any character is getting a mention for being stupidly good its bob or Jin.

You also said there is no feasable combos that take half health.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROaZ23hx5io

There you go.

I play King,Baek,Feng and Nina mostly,all of which have combos capable of ****** 50% of your health.(Especially Baek and King)

and chaingrabbing is HARDLY universal.If anything it's very matchup specific.
your video is irrelevant. Those worked on the 6.0 version of tekken which doesnt exist any more. nobody playing tekken no has that lol. Go on to tekken zabasitu and look at the damage scaling no one has a half health combo that is feasable.

Again you eddy example is not very probable. if you dont know what you are doing then you will lose. Why do people use this example heck what does that prove. lag aside i repeat if you dont know what your doing then you will lose. The only reason that doesnt work in smash is because of the arena size and moblity is more platform based. Also the way you take out a opponent is different. (not based on health) The same rules apply. noobs will lose to noobs and so on. Button mashing examples are null and void. Also you didnt mention the contingencies of the matchup befiere hand. I was simply stating that every character can chain grab....

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
Tekken, by nature, is one of the easiest games to get into because it's always been relatively "untechnical."

Now, that's not to say there isnt ANY tech involved, because you have to be able to do your steps, and maybe some IWR stuff and whatnot from character to character, but as a whole the series has never been technical, per say.

Requiem

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Tekken, by nature, is one of the easiest games to get into because it's always been relatively "untechnical."

Now, that's not to say there isnt ANY tech involved, because you have to be able to do your steps, and maybe some IWR stuff and whatnot from character to character, but as a whole the series has never been technical, per say.

I don't know how many of you actually have played this game competitively, or really know anything about it.

While you are right for certaint parts, Dogysamich, you're wrong in your second part. Tekken eventually becomes quite the technical game very quick. Not only at really high levels, but at intermediate level, it already is technical. Thinking 8wayrun etc. It is even played mostly with pads, instead of sticks (wich almost everyone does in every competitive fighting game), because some things are too technically difficult to do on a pad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom