• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Technique with Falco's Cancel'd Dair; Can we use do something similar?

Zelfox

Smash Rookie
Imo the tech doesn't really have much use for fox since most of his aerials have very little end lag. I tried it with up air, but I can't verify if it works (fox lands differently with up air) . I think a shortened up air could lead to some good combos tho.

jr22

Smash Apprentice
I thought the exact same thing when I recently found out about falco's cencel'd dair. idk for if fox can do the same thing and would love to find out for myself but I don't the game yet.

EndlessRain

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheBlindMan
3DS FC
1693-1682-5689
Fox's fair and whiffed dair are the only aerials with any kind of landing lag. Since dair has less lag if it hits anyway, it doesn't matter if you can frame cancel it. I haven't tried with fair, but I don't really see the point tbh. This is a tech which mostly benefits characters with hugely laggy aerials, like Falco and Ganondorf. It doesn't really apply to Fox, and it wouldn't make much of a difference if it did.

EndlessRain

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheBlindMan
3DS FC
1693-1682-5689
Bair autocancels, dair has much less if it hits. Fair won't combo into anything anyway (it sends them too far/lets them tech if you spike them with it). Nair true combos into running usmash, not in much danger of increasing it's combo potential. I guess uair might be worth looking into, though it won't make it much better, as its hitstun lasts long enough for you to follow it up at lower percents anyway.

I.S FoxMkloud

Smash Ace
I use bair a lot more too. I used to dair a lot in Brawl, but now, I just use it sparingly. I will have to perfect my turning skill to reverse bair.

Last edited:

Problem2

Smash Champion
NNID
Problem0
I wonder if the very mechanic that was discovered with Falco's d-air is the reason why Fox's d-air has less landing lag when it connects. Something to do with hitting your opponent just as you touch the ground, which is easy to do with a multihit move.

EndlessRain

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheBlindMan
3DS FC
1693-1682-5689
Nope, because you can go through them and land while not in contact with them, and still go straight into utilt. It's something I use a lot to get the early-game utilt string->double jab cancel grab going.

DEHF

Smash Champion
NNID
larrlurr
I wonder if the very mechanic that was discovered with Falco's d-air is the reason why Fox's d-air has less landing lag when it connects. Something to do with hitting your opponent just as you touch the ground, which is easy to do with a multihit move.
I heard every character can do this with their aerials, not sure how true this is though. I tried this out with Falco's fair and like Fox's dair, there was less landing on hit. Similar to Falco's dair cancel, none of these moves have less lag on shield. With such similarities it's hard to see why they wouldn't be the same thing.

Last edited:

EndlessRain

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheBlindMan
3DS FC
1693-1682-5689
You can do a lot of stuff out of dair though. Utilt, ftilt, dash attack, fsmash on certain heavies lol. And they are all true combos.
Also, mutihit grab is bad. Double jab cancel grab, then dthrow->fair. Waaaay more damage and it's much safer.

Top Bottom