• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Technical Skill and Unpredictability~

D

Deleted member

----------------------
I remember very clearly playing HugS at Melee FC 3, South Bend, Indiana. July 2005. I played HugS in several friendlies, winning 75% of them ish, Fox vs Samus. I remember watching Zelgadis vs HugS, Fox vs Samus, about half an hour later. HugS won the majority of their matches, and I spoke to him when they were done. HugS told me something along the line that he thought Zelgadis was a better overall player than me, despite the results of the matches, and that my style was just better vs him, but that Zelgadis had a better overall style. Zelgadis may be better than me, may have been back then, and may have always been better than me as a player. I've been told by many, many people that I counter their style, at least every single tournament, and I've been to around 60-70 tournaments in my time, some big and some small. Hugo simply laid it out the best.
So what makes a style counter? Actually, I do not believe that style counters exist anymore, only techniques that a player has not yet learn to overcome. The more techniques and abilities you have, the harder you are, as a player, to overcome. The harder you are to beat due to these techniques, the more unpredictable you are.

I.
The fact of the matter is, what you can do in terms of predictability is limited by your technical ability. If you do not have the technical ability to perform a feat within the game, you can not use that feat to your advantage. It makes sense to maximize your advantages before you abuse them. If you cannot shuffl attacks, make fluid combos, dashdance properly, ledgetech survival, DI well, your unpredictability rewards will not get you very far.

II.
Knowledge is a huge aspect of technical skill and expands general technical skill, hidden techniques past basics open up chances for unpredictability. Largely, advanced technical skill is what sets a character aside. Advanced technical skill is Ness's DJC, Yoshi's parry, Ice Climbers Wobbling, Sheik's needle grab. However, just because the option is open does not mean that you have to use it.

III.
"Let’s begin by saying what free will is, and what it isn’t. Free will is not the same as freedom of action. Freedom of action refers to things that prevent a willed action from being realized. For example, being in prison means you are not free to paint the town red. Being in a straight jacket means you are not free to wave hello. Being paralyzed means not being able to move your limbs. These are not issues of free will. Free will means being free to try to escape (or not), to try to wave (or not), to try to move your limbs (or not).

Neither is free will the same as political or social freedom (better known as liberty). Just because you will be executed for taking the local dictator’s name in vain, doesn’t mean you aren’t free to try, or even free to actually do so. You’ll just wind up paying for the satisfaction."

http://webspace.ship.edu/cgboer/freewill.html

Or maybe not. Let's apply this to smash. Since predictability is a large part of mindgames, this introduces the ability to rely solely on technical ability and negate mindgames. An opponent cannot read someone who does not think. To be completely unpredictable and completely technical sounds like a good thing, as it seems like a dominations of the two main aspects in the game, mindgames and maximizing the utility of their character.

In smash, the application of free will is the ability to know what you can and cannot do, and how relevant that knowledge is to your play.

If you prefer to play safe, you sacrifice unpredictability. (see: Zanguzen)

If you're a walking disaster zone, you are not a safe player. (see: MasterOfFlames89)

Neither is better or worse than the other. The key to unpredictability is to know the game and have mastery over it, know what the possible consequences of your decisions are, and intentionally not pick the safest one every time. One of my favorite examples of unpredictable play is Korean DJ's Sheik. KDJ is the first player I've ever seen to tech chase with sheik's upsmash, and the player I see running straight at fox's shield with a dash attack most often. It's beautiful to watch. I don't think I have to further explain what makes Isai very unpredictable, particularly in teams.

IV.
Let's focus on character tricks.

A.

A good example of a character trick is King and his crouching techniques. It is fairly common to land in a sidestep dodge as a buffer defense when landing from an air attack. Ken often does marth's neutral air to sidestep to avoid punishment, for example. Sometimes though, he dashes upon landing for the same effect. Sometimes he lands into reverse up B.
King put a spin on this with Jigglypuff's abusable crouch, landing directly into a crouch after an air attack. Character specific tricks add a novelty effect and add advantages to your options, particularly innovative alternatives to old tricks. Another alternative for creativity, and often unpredictability goes out to characters often considered fully understood. One of my favorite fox tricks in particular is to waveshine, but wavedash past my opponent to get behind them during the stun and jab them in the back, which leads to basically anything.
King's crouching technique is technical ability. Walking off the edge into an edgehog is technical ability. Samus's CC dtilt is technical ability. It is what the character can do under your guidance.

B.

Character Mastery is the mix between solid strategies, full technical ability, and knowledge. A combination of these things allows for unpredictability. My favorite example is PC Chris and his falco play. Partially solid with standard lasers and pillar combos. Chris's falco is never seen in a video where he gets chaingrabbed to death. When he misses an L cancel, other players in the vicinity of the TV become confused. No one ever accused PC Chris of being a bland player.

C.

Along with unpredictable play comes its polar opposite, solid play. Solid play isn't unpredictable, it's just plain hard to beat, and you know it's coming. Solid play is Mew2King's dashance grab, Zanguzen's lasers, Ken's chaingrab. Solid play is Azen's C stick smashes, ChuDat's deathgrabs, Chillindude829's upairs, HugS's forward tilt.

V.
Some things simply cannot be dealt with by characters, and some characters are limited. Peach has no solution to Fox's laser spamming. Link has no solution to sheik's chaingrabbing. This is where solid play takes priority over unpredictability, and the domination of mindgames due to lack of thinking loses most of its initial value. A great example of this is Mew2King's approach to marth as fox:

[16:06] OOVideoGameGodOO: marth vs fox =
[16:06] OOVideoGameGodOO: grab game
[16:06] OOVideoGameGodOO: grab them, dont get grabbed yourself
[16:06] OOVideoGameGodOO: camp
[16:07] OOVideoGameGodOO: wait for marth to shuffle an aerial
[16:07] OOVideoGameGodOO: dash dance grab it
[16:07] OOVideoGameGodOO: if marth dodges it
[16:07] OOVideoGameGodOO: and you miss the grab
[16:07] OOVideoGameGodOO: waveshine grab
[16:07] OOVideoGameGodOO: works
[16:07] OOVideoGameGodOO: before marth can shield
[16:07] MycatgoesMow: and if marth never does a SH aerial?
[16:07] OOVideoGameGodOO: if he DD camps
[16:07] OOVideoGameGodOO: run really far
[16:07] OOVideoGameGodOO: then grab
[16:07] OOVideoGameGodOO: and/or camp him as well
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbF4bR7YdrQ&mode=related&search=)

In conclusion, if there's one thing you get from this article, it's this:

Unpredictability isn't everything. It's just one more factor to making a one-sided match even.

Renth

Smash Hero
you put a lot of thought into this, good job Mow. A player is only limited to the knowledge/tech skill he partains. Most of the top players out there have taken a lot of time and have developed techniques and abuse them.

: pound :

Epsilon52

Smash Champion
thats very true. in ga i have a hard time taking down our top 10 players. i have a breeze with one players cf and then i play the other and i get ***** and the one that ***** me is far less ranked than the higher ranked player. it all boils down to how ur styles clash

D

Deleted member

Ugh...ANOTHER mindgames topic...well I'm going to repeat what I said in a different mindgames topic:

But the difference here is that this topic is actually an interesting and thoughtful read. Good job!
I didn't say **** about mindgames. The focus was entirely on technical skill and technique.

[Deuce]

Smash Journeyman
*bookmarks* The derivation of styles down to what players knew and lacked in knowledge was very interesting, and it looks like some people don't have the patience to appreciate the finer, more intricate aspects of gameplay, while others do; perhaps that in itself is a factor in assessing the gradual improvement of a player's skill. But anyways, good writeup!

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
The Muffin King said:
Sometimes there are these moments of lucidity that come, and words just flow from the realm of ideas and I feel like a conduit for some higher force's actions. It's like I'm not even myself. Very rarely am I in a time and place when this happens and I'm also able to record what comes to me, but when I am, it's something. Usually what happens is I'll be meditating, looking out into the distance and all these images will appear in my head, racing by, and for just a brief moment, one will stop, I'll capture it, and I'll remember it. Then it'll make its way into a lone sentence in an otherwise mediocre paragraph, illuminating the entire thing.

That's how it happens in videogames too. Sometimes my mind and fingers are sluggish, and I'm falling into habits and patterns that are bad and predictable, and I'll get crushed. But other times it'll just "click" and I'll pull something off that's higher than myself. Sometimes it'll be a whole game, other times maybe just one KO. Whatever it is though, I wish I could harness it and do it more often.

And these odd moments of lucidity are so hard to come by because the daily routine of life dulls out true thinking. I think that's why Goodwin said drugs can be so elucidating and clarifying. Similarly, I've heard of Smash players who see everything slow down when they're under the influence of marijuana, and they become better able to do certain things in the game.

Smash involves precognition in some sense, which involves letting go of traditional, grounded, and ultimately basal thinking. To anticipate an opponent's movements and swirl the possibilities in your head demands something more than just a common procedural task list cognition that most people have. It requires abstract thinking, jumping from illogic idea to illogic idea in order so that intuition becomes the method by which you outmanuever the enemy. You anticipate them before they anticipate themselves. You don't know how you do it, because you know your own faculties are limited. Something else is operating, but you can't say what.
The Muffin King said:
Similarly, the best Smash players are always those who "out think" the opponent. It's because they're artists, and are able to make the free association necessary to defeat the person still grounded in procedural knowledge. Once that higher level has been attained, it's not hard to drop back down.
Nice work Mow, I was actually suprized to see you write something like this, very well thought out, but I disagree with one part.

Mow said:
Since predictability is a large part of mindgames, this introduces the ability to rely solely on technical ability and negate mindgames.
You cannot rely solely on technical ability (the concept itself is impossible, what good is the ability to waveshine if you lack direction). Which is why I have the quotes from Muffin posted. Lets look at one part in particular.

Smash involves precognition in some sense, which involves letting go of traditional, grounded, and ultimately basal thinking. To anticipate an opponent's movements and swirl the possibilities in your head demands something more than just a common procedural task list cognition that most people have.
Now, what you mention is the possiblities, which open up as a direct result of technical skill. I feel like the reason you feel that technical skill may fully replace mindgames is if you have an "if" "then" scenario, where the person doesn't actually think about the tasts, but simply follows a predefined algorithm for reacting to an opponants strategy (a-la Mew2King's quote). This doesn't always hold true though, going back to Muffin's quote, its the ability to swirl each of these if then scenario's, choose the best one, and then while you are combo'ing you become an artist, unpredictable if you will, which is what allows your combos to keep going. In the end, the predefined reactions to your opponants can only take you so far, unless such a reaction is mostly broken. As you mentione Fox versus Peach and laser camping, there really isn't much that Peach can do except strike FD and hope they don't go to pokemon stadium. However, I'd also like to point out Mew2King versus King at MLG Orlando. King actually overcame Mew2King's laser spamming (in large part to rests). Mew2King ran the match back afterwards though, employed mostly the same strategy as before but managed to avoid getting grabbed, and won by 1 stock (IIRC). The ability to avoid an incoming opponant always requires thinking, a reaction, a "swirling" of possibilities.

Anyways, that was a very nice peice, major props.

Blackshadow

Smash Ace
Adelaide, Australia. Along with my Mad Duck.
I didn't say **** about mindgames. The focus was entirely on technical skill and technique.
O rly...

Or maybe not. Let's apply this to smash. Since predictability is a large part of mindgames, this introduces the ability to rely solely on technical ability and negate mindgames. An opponent cannot read someone who does not think. To be completely unpredictable and completely technical sounds like a good thing, as it seems like a dominations of the two main aspects in the game, mindgames and maximizing the utility of their character.
Bam. That's three in one paragraph.

This is where solid play takes priority over unpredictability, and the domination of mindgames due to lack of thinking loses most of its initial value.
There's another.

So that's four times that you mentioned mindgames. And anyway, I'm just messin with ya :)

the kids only 14. he cant grasp these concepts just yet :p
Hey! Thats got nothing to do with it. And besides, I'm turnin 15 in a week.

EDIT: ****, i just realised you actually said focus, instead of "that word doesnt appear anywhere". Oh well.

cradmazy_SKAG

Smash Ace
great post.

a little disjointed and contradicting at times. kind of like max i suppose.

i enjoyed it. as a link player and projectile spammer i swear by the infinite power of unpredictability over characters with more speed and tech-skill aptitiude. thanks for bringing it to the forefront.

petre

Smash Lord
closest to Sterling Heights, MI on your wii foreca
wow, amazing read...good job mow! this definitely explains why my cousin (that doesnt use any advanced techs) still beats me sometimes...hes completely unpredictable! but he doesnt have the tech skill to escape combos and such, so he ends up losing...

Goodies

Smash Apprentice
Wow Max! This is not only a great look into how important it is to master tech skill with a given set of characters and understand consequences of certain tech tricks, but also it surveys how new workable tactics are created. I found your solid skill section most interesting though where you said some tactics employed seem unbeatable by some characters just as Fox's Laser Camping and DD Camping. Sure it's hard to beat, but you can decrease the effectiveness of some of the solid skills with characters thought to be at a disadvantage by using unorthodox tactics (ex: uncommon placed lag less move to bait grabs).

As mentioned earlier, there are so tricks that some players have not outcomed and you'll take a gamble in competitive play experimenting with what works. It's important for people entering in competitive gaming whether it's smash or w/e to try something different that traditional moves to bring a new freshness to the metagame.

King Kong

Smash Lord
This was a great read. Far more simple and easy to comprehend than most other threads that are about similar issues.

Thanks Mow

peace out

Zone

Smash Champion
Kudos for that post, Mow. It gave me a few things to think about.
Lol, didn't I just kinda talk about this with you March 1st. I swear this is exactly the same topic. I'll call you later, and we'll do a few more 1v1's.

@ work now >.>

Top Bottom