• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Teching Mewtwo's Down Smash.

Rooktionary

Smash Journeyman
I was wondering if anyone knew why teching Mewtwo's down smash is so hard? Normally I can tech things pretty consistently when recovering with fox, but for some reason I can't seem to tech mewtwo's d smash. I've only been able to do it once so far. Any advice/suggestions/reasoning?

XAQ

Smash Apprentice
it sends yo at a mostly horizontal trajectory so it send you out instead of up, like falco's down smash

Shadow Huan

Smash Champion
lol the hitbox goes down through the satge a little bit, it makes teching it tricky if it's done at the proper spacing because it hits you @ such an odd angle. i think...

Rooktionary

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, ive been thinking about it some more, and im thinking i need to smash DI into the stage instead of trying to get a walljump out of it. IDK. i dont really play mewtwo, so i dunno much about the move, i was just hoping someone here would

Shadow Huan

Smash Champion
I know a lot about the move I play mewtwo lol. but what you're asking for will require getting the frame/hitbox data, which I can't do. let's just say that the hitbox is very very large... larger than it appears. so the timing for the tech would be slightly different, and it might be safer to tech in place than go for the walljump like you just said.

Rooktionary

Smash Journeyman
hmmm aight. Ive recently started playing v3ctorman and his mewtwo is mean when it comes to the downsmash lol so im trying to find a way around it

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
The reason you're not able to tech it is because Tim is probably timing the Dsmash so that you're actually ABOVE the stage. The timing for when Dsmash actually hits you below the stage is NO DIFFERENT than getting hit by a Fox/Falco/Peach downsmash.

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
I know a lot about the move I play mewtwo lol. but what you're asking for will require getting the frame/hitbox data, which I can't do. let's just say that the hitbox is very very large... larger than it appears. so the timing for the tech would be slightly different, and it might be safer to tech in place than go for the walljump like you just said.
The hitbox/timing makes absolutely no difference. Rooktionary just is probably not actually touching the ledge of whichever stage is in question, and is probably above the stage.

Rooktionary

Smash Journeyman
The hitbox/timing makes absolutely no difference. Rooktionary just is probably not actually touching the ledge of whichever stage is in question, and is probably above the stage.

Ehhh i dunno about that. I really think the timing must be different. I can tech most of Tim's other moves, so i dont think his timing is different either. Nicknyte backed me up on this one saying that mewtwos d smash is insanely hard to tech for some reason.

Nicknyte

Smash Lord
Yea. I think It is dam untechable. Trust me, If it was as easy to tech as peach's down smash, I'd wouldn't be a problem. Peach is rather easy to tech. I think the timing might be different tho.

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
hit box is deceptive, hits below and past the stage. purple flash actually comes b4 any hit box is out.

take a sharper angle and hug the wall a bit. sdi into the stage. you can still walljump.

your biggest problem is getting hit too far away from the stage. the hit box does extend past the purple.

side note: at lower to upper mid I think the down smash does not show a green flash signifying you can tech.(on stage). I don't think so but that could have something to do with the difficulty of making that ledge tech. on stage I don't think its teachable until higher percents.

Rooktionary

Smash Journeyman
hit box is deceptive, hits below and past the stage. purple flash actually comes b4 any hit box is out.

take a sharper angle and hug the wall a bit. sdi into the stage. you can still walljump.

your biggest problem is getting hit too far away from the stage. the hit box does extend past the purple.

side note: at lower to upper mid I think the down smash does not show a green flash signifying you can tech.(on stage). I don't think so but that could have something to do with the difficulty of making that ledge tech. on stage I don't think its teachable until higher percents.
thanks, i think ive got it. im getting it down a bit more consistently :D

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
that's at a higher percent. I've never seen it teched at low percent. not saying it can't just I noticed the green flash doesn't appear.

GrayGhost

Smash Rookie
I think it must be a move with very low base knockback, and good knockback growth. That seems to be the case from my experience, and it would make it so that at low percents it doesn't give enough knockback to allow you to tech.

Top Bottom