• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

tech video -midterms done, i can anwser questoins now! thanks to mathos for helping!!

charburner6

Smash Apprentice
Nope. Its just the natural feeling for most. Now I'm sure after this post tons of R-techlings will come out. But regardless they both produce the same results.
i guess this is the sae reason people use L to L cancel and not R cus i use R all the time. i never use L while i play

Nurok

Smash Lord
How hard is it to tech battlefield? Cuz I've only done it a few times, against Marth's fsmash
Also, how do u tech the side B? I'm so confused on that, and i could never do it. whats the timing for the side b ledge tech?

viperboy_74

Smash Master
Na!l - yes, any character can edgetech, but the timings are different. i personally think that falco is the easiest to do it with.

charburner6 - lol... new vids coming out soon, i promise. i got a new digital camera for x-mas so i new have more means of getting vids up...

Nurok - battlefield is a hard level to tech on, mostly because the sides are so small. moves with bigger hit boxes, such as marth's fsmash, will probably be a little easier to tech than other moves too. i just try to pretend like it's FD with the timing, but that doesn't always seem to work. i'm kind of a bad person to ask about Battlefield because i always ban that level in tourneys. lol...
Also, the timing for the Side B ledgetech is easier than the firebird, imo. i hit and hold L about halfway through the illusion, just before i actually hit the edge.

TheKneeOfJustice - thank you, sir :)

Metà - lol, true story, really... :) that or mute city...

and again, another thanks to mathos and the others for helping out with replies.

also, for the record, i don't do any sort of ASDI or anything like that. i've never even read about that kind of stuff and don't find it neccessary.
oh, and i don't let go of the button until after i tech either...

Frozenserpent

Smash Journeyman
it doesn't matter if you hold L and R or if you don't... all it matters when you first start pressing it. What you don't want to do is let go for a brief moment and then press it again, as that will result to an air dodge immediately after teching (and probably plummet to your death).

I would suggest if you're learning to ledge tech, you probably should practice with peach's d-smash, because that's an easy move to ledge tech. Hug the wall when learning it, and try to always sweetspot it, because this would make it easier to get the timing down (timing doesn't fluctuate as much).

And for some moves, you can just hold the control stick diagonally up and towards stage to ledge tech jump.

Also keep in mind you can do moves right after teching, so depending on your char you can actually whack the edgeguarder before they have recovered from the ending lag of the move you just teched.

Some moves are just really hard to tech. For example, fox's usmash is nearly impossible for me. Samus utilt also is sort of difficult.

All you need to know is the timing before the move. After that, you can pretty much ledge tech with any character. It's much easier to ledge tech when your recovery lets you hug the surface of the wall.

CHUK

Smash Ace
Are you able to do it with every character as easy as one can do it with Falco?(though i am not saying it is easy.)

Frozenserpent

Smash Journeyman
Different recoveries definitely have different levels of difficulty.

Actually, I'm a ganon main, but ledge teching was vital to ganon's recovery (his sweetspot sucks), so i learned how to ledge tech. It just happened to carry over to other chars.

From my experience, bowser, DK, falco, fox, ganon, and captain falcon have easier ledge techs. I have the timing off for marth, roy, doctor mario, mario, luigi, samus, and link but i'm pretty sure they just require different timings to be learned.

Well, ledgeteching is simply a great deal more important for some chars like ganon and falco that ppl try to learn it for them. i mean, i'm sure mewtwo can ledge tech like any one else, but there really seems to be little point to master it (although i wonder what a mewtwo ledge tech jump looks like).

Miharu

Smash Hero
Is it necessary to DI towards the wall, not specifically ASDI, but just regular DI with the control stick? Since I've been trying for a bit now, and all I can get is the occasional random ledgetech.

Frozenserpent

Smash Journeyman
Just hold the control stick towards the stage. This will ASDI against the stage, allowing you to tech. The only time regular DI seems to make a difference is when you get stomped right next the edge, in which case if you di into the wall, you'll hit it.

So basically, you want to get the timing down. Hug the ledge and keep the control stick holding towards the stage. You k now the normal time for teching? Press L at the same time before you get hit. Once you get the timing down, that's about it.

ApolloX54

Smash Apprentice
I don't mean to throw off the topic but I have a few questions....

I can't really waveshine with falco. I don't know why. I can with fox and it supposed to be easier with falco. The only way for me to do it was to actually slow it down. Anybody else have this problem?

Also, what's a good way to practice pillaring?

viperboy_74

Smash Master
thanks knee...

i can help too, sir. i don't have any recent vids, but i look just like DaShizWiz now... for all of you EC'ers, i'm going to Gauntlet next week and Cat3 in march...

anyway,

ApolloX54 - it sounds to me like everyone else is right, i had a hard time with waveshining for a while becuase i was trying to move just as fast as i did when i pillar. i CAN go that fast now, but not at first. just slow it down. walk before you run.

i practice pillaring in a real match. ive heard that people like to put stars on and take a bowser to FD and pillar an invinvible bowser, but i just like to play against space animals and do it to them for like 80%.

Averance

Smash Rookie
i have a question about ledge teching.
I can do most simple moves teched (dsmashes from peach/falco/fox/most others) and nair/bair from peach, utilt from samus etc, but the way i do it is
1) press R/L before getting hit (~20 frames)
2) smash di during the hit lag toward the ledge.

This is how i gather it's supposed to be done right?

If that's so, then how do i jump after ledge tech, becaus eusually i'm smash di'ing towards the ledge and not away, which is needed for ledge tech jump thingy.

thanks.

Frozenserpent

Smash Journeyman
You don't smash DI away to ledge tech jump. You just need your control stick to be held up.

So, a way to do ledge tech jumps would be to smash DI diagonally up and towards the ledge rather than directly towards the ledge. At a certain angle, it will register as a ledge tech jump instead of a normal tech.

GamerGuitarist7

Smash Champion
this video is incredible and everyone should see it. whatever happened with that guy editing it and adding the L button stuff?

Top Bottom