• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

tech skill is extremely important. don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

Velox

Smash Ace
No no, you have me all wrong silent! It isn't bad, just comparatively to playing smart, excessive tech skill is almost insignificant. Much like chemists consider ideal gases to have no mass, because the space in between the particles makes their mass so insignificant it's not worth mentioning.

Obviously if you have it all you'd be a total beast though. That is def. undeniable.

Radical Dreamer

Smash Ace
This is why "mind games" is an overly used and abused term. I think it should be banned from the future Brawl lexicon.

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
All aspects of the game that can help you win a match are important. If you can button mash really quickly and do all sorts of crazy combos, that won't help you very much if you don't think. Likewise, if you can out think your opponent, but can't attack him because you are physically unable to press the buttons fast enough to do anything against him, it also won't help you very much. The reason why there's always debates about this topic is because people want to know what makes the pro players so good. All pros have nearly flawless tech skill and mindgames compared to the average player. You need both to be pro.

But it takes more than tech skill and mindgames. Just having the experience necessary to deal with multiple opponents' characters and styles of play is necessary but is often overlooked. Same thing with character knowledge. It's important to know what you can do to your opponent and what they can do to you. I'm talking about both what they are physically able to do and what you think they are going to do based on what their options are.

Another thing, some people categorize spacing with tech skill, others don't. Whether you do or not isn't important, as long as you don't overlook the fact that spacing is one of the most important aspects of this game.

thaxceptional1

Smash Lord
mango don't worry people just don't understand how hard it is to shield camp and rest.

[/end burn]

DONT HURT ME MANGO. haha good **** lil ******
why do people feel it's so necessary to throw in that word, how about if i say some racial slurs but fix up the ending. would that be ok?

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
all i'm saying is that you are essentially creating a double standard, that could offend somebody, yet you are upset about his racial slurs

it being more widely accepted that a really good looking girl dances on a pole than somebody says something that can be conceived as racist

firexemblemxpryde

Smash Lord
Let's not be ignorant, don't say tech skill without mindgames is nothing. Mindgames are nice, but there are plenty of really technical players who can kick pro-am smashers butt simply because of power overwhelming [lol] and guaranteed character specific combos.

Not so much on the racism, but not so much on the shameless over-exertion of sexuality.

The first page of this thread summed it up quite well.

Tech skill IS extremely important, we shouldn't be telling newer players it's all about mindgames. It's misleading.

mikeHAZE

Smash Legend
Let's not be ignorant, don't say tech skill without mindgames is nothing. Mindgames are nice, but there are plenty of really technical players who can kick pro-am smashers butt simply because of power overwhelming [lol] and guaranteed character specific combos.

Not so much on the racism, but not so much on the shameless over-exertion of sexuality.

The first page of this thread summed it up quite well.

Tech skill IS extremely important, we shouldn't be telling newer players it's all about mindgames. It's misleading.
lol, and this is what ruined so many new smashers.

so many new people just work on tech, that that is all they can do, but they can't set it up in order to do those things, and even so, they're easily punished.

firexemblemxpryde

Smash Lord
Even so, you can't expect newer players to come up with mindgames to match those of an experienced player. They can, however, practice most aapects of the technical skill they'll need to stand a fighting chance. We tell a beginner to practice because it's ... Practical. No pun intended.

thaxceptional1

Smash Lord
all i'm saying is that you are essentially creating a double standard, that could offend somebody, yet you are upset about his racial slurs

it being more widely accepted that a really good looking girl dances on a pole than somebody says something that can be conceived as racist
no, and no i dont conceive him as being racist but as ignorant. can you walk to a random black person and say *****? even as a joke...most people won't because for one it isn't respectful, and secondly most black people will not tolerate it from other races. the word "*****" can mean nothing at all, but unless you can convince the mass of african americans otherwise, why use it online?

but if we're all going to be like that, can i use the word chinksta? it's just the racist word for a chinese person with a different ending. *****/chinksta same thing right, no coorelation at all with racism.

Linkster47

Smash Apprentice
Tech skill>mindgames. If you have good tech skill and play smart you can be great with any character. I main Link and Jiggs and even I think tech skill is more important. I consider every ad tech to be part of tech skill too, including DI'ing, CC'ing, and spacing: moves that many consider to be mindgames. Playing smart is something you should know how to do from day one, but as you get better at Melee you play much smarter as a whole. Mind games can help, but aren't reliable is all.

Tech skill fights matches, and playing smart wins them.

Barbeque

Smash Journeyman
There are smashers that are local to me that tell me I have great tech skill but I'm pretty predictable. Mindgames are a little bit more important than tech skill IMO, but not by much. You need both.

Velox

Smash Ace
You're over doing it. When you assume everyone has level 0 of everything except for one item (tech skill, mind games, etc.) you cannot accuratly explain what actually happens when one player accels in one area in real life. It's like how many of the rules of matter cease to accurately explain nature when the temperature approaches absolute zero. Using zero in certain areas of examples is dangerous when it won't actually happen in real life. Or even things close to 0 for that matter...

Also, if you were hinting at chronology of learning, that has nothing to do with this argument (your use of "first" is a hint towards this).

And again, you're talking about basic tech skill. Just being able to do what you want to do. I feel (know) there should be a distinct category of "tech skill presicion" (IE. M2K) and "excessive tech skill" (IE. Silent Wolf).

Aesir

Smash Master
You're over doing it. When you assume everyone has level 0 of everything except for one item (tech skill, mind games, etc.) you cannot accuratly explain what actually happens when one player accels in one area in real life. It's like how many of the rules of matter cease to accurately explain nature when the temperature approaches absolute zero. Using zero in certain areas of examples is dangerous when it won't actually happen in real life. Or even things close to 0 for that matter...
Loll what the hell are you talking about

Unless you're a technical player the odds of having the skill to use your character well is reduced a lot

Also, if you were hinting at chronology of learning, that has nothing to do with this argument (your use of "first" is a hint towards this).
I was but it wasn't the purpose of my post I was pointing out the importance of tech skill.

No tech = poor move meant decisions

with tech the ability to play smart is increased. When you can play smart the ability to use "mindgames" is strengthened

you can have any one of these but with out the other it's hard to be good.

And again, you're talking about basic tech skill. Just being able to do what you want to do. I feel (know) there should be a distinct category of "tech skill presicion" (IE. M2K) and "excessive tech skill" (IE. Silent Wolf).
Theres no such thing as excessive tech skill, silent wolf is flashy. It's all about using the tools at the right time

ex if you were a roofer and needed to hammer a few nails in, would you use a screw driver? no.

Thats what you have to learn, learning the right times to use tech there are no useless technical things

Cactuar

El Fuego
BRoomer
It is much harder to learn matchups and general character know-how than to learn tech skill. As far as "chronology" goes, you develop both at the same time, but where you have your focus will lead to different results. I have always focused on learning my opponent's style as well as what I suppose you would call "mind games". I became an extremely technically sound player naturally just from playing. It isn't really necessary to practice endlessly working on technical skill as it will develop to suit your needs.

Technical skill exists to augment what you are thinking (I don't want to use "mindgames" for this). The importance of either can't be measured simply enough to say which is more important, as players develop different. The "mindgames" of one person are very different than those of another, and the same can be said for technical skill. Both can replace each other to fulfill the same goal as far as overall skill goes.

To be a top player, it doesn't matter which is more important. You need to be able to keep up with the most technical players, and you need to be able to stay mentally strong against the smartest players.

IShotLazer

Smash Journeyman
Intelligent mind games are very important. I have friends that only C-stick marth and grab that actually fight decently well against some of my other friends who have every advanced tech skill down.
It's like being insanely strong and fast and trying to get through an obstacle course. If you're a stupid you're going to do everything inefficiently and probably slip up.
Mindgames should not be overlooked.
Tech skill is just being ABLE to do something. Ability to do advanced tech would go in this.
Mindgames is putting it to action efficiently.
Doubting mindgames exist is just pure ignorance.

Velox

Smash Ace
Witchking, that is a definate problem in the smash community, among many many many other things. And it isn't even limited to just the term "mindgame", it's like 20 other terms at least that people use interchangabley. One good example, Falco's pillar. So in these cases, I wish everyone would look at their on paper definition, mindgames would be a trick in this case.

Loll what the hell are you talking about
lol, quote of the day

and why do you have to put "lol" and "the hell" in that sentence? Seriously, that is the most annoying internet crap I've ever seen to try and win an argument. What I say, I would actually say in real life if you talked to me, and I like to keep what I say on the internet like I would in real life. There is no way in hell you could convince me you would say "lol what the hell are you talking about" if we had this discussion in real life. For one thing it would be a discussion, you sound like you're hastily yelling in some effort to defend your "abililty" at this game. I know, it's wrong for me to pick you out when everone does this, but seriously... come on...

More tech skill, and more movement, although wrong theoretically, almost always makes the player running all over the place easier to predict and f-smash. There are very very very few pros (almost none) that are really technical that stay unpredictable.

YOU NEED TO BE CAREFUL WITH MORE MOVEMENT IN SMASH, AS MOVEMENTS ARE THE A.) #1 THING TO GET YOU PUNISHED IN THIS GAME. Think about it. I'm not shouting, I'm just saying something that I hope you don't miss and think about for a while. So people getting tech skill to increase their movement, almost always increase their prectability unless you're Azen/Chillin/Chu Dat/etc...

Also the fact that there is no such thing as excessive tech skill I would somewhat agree with by the definition on paper, but you know how I'm using the term. Silent Wolf sitting there inbetween stocks shine -> shffl -> shine -> shffl we both know isn't getting him anywhere in life. He could be using that time to get his infinites up to the level of the great MoFo, the most technical player on earth. He must have died though...

These arguments are all kind of too subjective for my tastes though (at least you are making it this way, I had it black and white before you fogged it), this will be my last post in this topic.

Velox said:
Also the fact that there is no such thing as excessive tech skill I would somewhat agree with by the definition on paper, but you know how I'm using the term. Silent Wolf sitting there inbetween stocks shine -> shffl -> shine -> shffl we both know isn't getting him anywhere in life. He could be using that time to get his infinites up to the level of the great MoFo, the most technical player on earth. He must have died though...
...I can infinite just about as long as I want. You have never even played me lmao. Why do you keep assuming things about me everywhere? I doubt MoFo is still the most technical player, assuming he ever was. It's probably M2K or myself to be honest.
EDIT - .....Why is it that people just assume all I can do is show off? I really like how everyone who does has never played me before too. This thread is ******** too, just play the game lol.

Professor Pro

Smash Legend
i agree i think he is the most technical player iswell. more technical then m2k but m2k is just a lil smarter.
from what ive seen mofo has got nothing when it comes to technical stuff like silent wolf.
go see his new tech vid velox.

Brookman

Smash Hero
SW has a Black Jack avatar, making him the most amazing (abrupt end of sentence)

marth1 is also amazing.

Eggz

Smash Hero
but if we're all going to be like that, can i use the word chinksta? it's just the racist word for a chinese person with a different ending. *****/chinksta same thing right, no coorelation at all with racism.
You're points are really, really bad.

No one, including the many black people on this forum care if people say *****.

You can say chinksta if you wanna sound like a ******.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Witchking, that is a definate problem in the smash community, among many many many other things. And it isn't even limited to just the term "mindgame", it's like 20 other terms at least that people use interchangabley. One good example, Falco's pillar. So in these cases, I wish everyone would look at their on paper definition, mindgames would be a trick in this case.

lol, quote of the day

and why do you have to put "lol" and "the hell" in that sentence? Seriously, that is the most annoying internet crap I've ever seen to try and win an argument. What I say, I would actually say in real life if you talked to me, and I like to keep what I say on the internet like I would in real life. There is no way in hell you could convince me you would say "lol what the hell are you talking about" if we had this discussion in real life. For one thing it would be a discussion, you sound like you're hastily yelling in some effort to defend your "abililty" at this game. I know, it's wrong for me to pick you out when everone does this, but seriously... come on...

More tech skill, and more movement, although wrong theoretically, almost always makes the player running all over the place easier to predict and f-smash. There are very very very few pros (almost none) that are really technical that stay unpredictable.

YOU NEED TO BE CAREFUL WITH MORE MOVEMENT IN SMASH, AS MOVEMENTS ARE THE A.) #1 THING TO GET YOU PUNISHED IN THIS GAME. Think about it. I'm not shouting, I'm just saying something that I hope you don't miss and think about for a while. So people getting tech skill to increase their movement, almost always increase their prectability unless you're Azen/Chillin/Chu Dat/etc...

These arguments are all kind of too subjective for my tastes though (at least you are making it this way, I had it black and white before you fogged it), this will be my last post in this topic.

Lol whut the hell are you talkin about?

silent wolf is the most technical player, showing off or otherwise
And you know this....how?

Aesir

Smash Master
More like unless you're smart.. You have to learn and apply technical movements appropriately. if you have 6 different ways of approaching and mix them up accordingly how can that be bad?

Have more then a couple options is never bad limiting yourself to technical basics is. which is essentially what you're trying to say.

KeepSpeedN

Smash Ace
Why does everyone say Silent Wolf shows off? Even if he does show off, that doesn't make him not the most technical person ever. I mean honestly, whos more technical than Silent Wolf? I've seen both M2K play and Silent Wolf. Actually, I've played them both in person. And I know Silent Wolf is more technical, its more than obvious. So no more discussion about whos most technical. Its Silent Wolf.

M2K is up there in tech skill, but so am I. I wouldn't put M2K over me in techskill. But I would put Silent Wolf over me.

This is a ShizWiz post.

thaxceptional1

Smash Lord
You're points are really, really bad.

No one, including the many black people on this forum care if people say *****.

You can say chinksta if you wanna sound like a ******.
lmao, come to detroit and say it to the people here and watch what happens. Trust me, i seen **** happen just as a joke. Chinksta makes me sound like a ******?, ohhh okayy.

(using words like "******" and "your points are really bad" makes you sound more like a ******)

Aesir

Smash Master
I personally thinks he likes to show off, but that isn't bad I meant it as a compliment, not sure if he knew that or not...

I mean PC says he makes fox look fun again..>.>

Fallenpiratevyse: Man silent wolf gets a lot of ****
Fallenpiratevyse: LOL
Fallenpiratevyse: I think he's really good personally
Fallenpiratevyse: <___<
"Chris": yeah he is
"Chris": he makes fox look fun again
"Chris": LOL
Fallenpiratevyse: LOL

Top Bottom