• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tech Chasing with G&W

Faithkeeper

Smash Lord
So I'm a Falcon main who found himself moderately inspired by this post:

(AXE) Reading this thread has really had me thinking about a lot of things. The main question in the OP made me think a lot, which was "Why do you play Mewtwo?"

I know Pikachu's not the same, but I can relate to everything said in this thread because he is also a lower tier character with obvious flaws. So why don't I just pick Fox and end up with much greater results? Why don't all Mewtwo mains just pick Sheik and **** twice as hard?

Most of the answers I've heard were simply just because you like the character. Of course, if one of your facorite pokemon is Mewtwo and he is in a video game, you will most likely play him. This is mostly the reason why I picked him as my character to start with, but there are many reasons why I decided to stay with him even after I learned all about advanced moves, the tier list, etc.

One thing that most Melee players cannot wrap their heads around is that a low tier character can be good. I hate how most of the Melee community will just look at the tier list and pick a high/top tier character because they're "good characters".

From my experience, it is much easier to get at a decent skill level with a higher tier character than it is for a lower tier one. You could probably pick a high tier character and be considered a good player within a few months. A low tier character would most likely take even longer. BUT, playing low tier characters has it advantages that many people might not have known of because they've never given those characters a chance. And for those who HAVE given them a chance, they quit the characters much too early and never reach the point at which will give you an advantage.

Yes, playing Pikachu was very hard at first and I did want to stop playing him many times. But all it really required was patience. After playing the little guy for like 2 years, I finally felt like I understood how low tier characters work, and most people who play this game have no idea.

Every character in the game his his/her own strengths, and you must use those strengths to cover up for their weaknesses. The more you play that certain character, the better you will be at using those strengths. After playing Pikachu for so long, I came to a point where people would tell me that my character had no weaknesses. Pikachu definitely does have a lot of weaknesses, but I guess I was able to cover up my weaknesses so well that it seemed so flawless to them. The more I play Pikachu, the less apparent my weaknesses become, thus making it seem like Pikachu is a good character.

People say Fox is a good character. I think this is because he does not have nearly as many weaknesses as Pikachu or Mewtwo does. However, Fox still does have weaknesses. Every character does. It all just depends on how well you are able to cover up those weaknesses with your strengths. The lower tier of the character, the more weaknesses that character has, which means you will have to play those characters for a longer amount of time to learn how to cover those up. When you reach a certain point with your character, it will seem like it's impossible to defeat, no matter which character you choose.

Taj is the prime example of taking his mewtwo to the furthest level. Honestly I feel like it's much harder to fight than almost every Fox/Marth/Sheik/Falco I've ever faught. But Mewtwo is a bad character! Why wouldn't it be harder to fight the high tier characters that so many people play?

I think this is because Taj has played Mewtwo so much and knows his character so well, he is able to cover up so many of his weaknesses with his greatest strengths. However, even as great as his Mewtwo is, it can still get even better than it is now. Everyone can get better with any character. I know V3ctorman is going to prove it too with his Yoshi, and he is already at a very high level with his Mewtwo.

I really feel like not many people have given enough attention to low/bottom tier characters. They can just see the weaknesses that the character has and it is too much to bear for a long period of time. However, once you get past those weaknesses, you can focus on strengths, and I KNOW that every character has strengths that have not been looked into yet, ESPECIALLY for low tiers. I know that I have found so many strenghts that Pikachu has that was unknown, and I know that I have turned him into a great character with my playstyle. It was extremely hard dealing with his weaknesses, but now I have a huge advantage with my character that many people don't even know about. EVERYBODY and EVERY character is capable of this, you just need to have the dedication and patience. If you can be dedicated to your character for long enough, you will find strengths in your character and find that you can make him even more frightening than the best top tiers. Soon enough, I will prove this with Pikachu.

tl;dr Axe thinks all characters can be played at a high level, and many of the characters have strengths that have not been looked into, especially low tiers.

Anyway, I like tech chasing. I was messing around with G&W, trying to figure out his movement, and it looked like he could set up tech chases with his dthrow. Does this work? I think it might be a nice setup after you are done chaingrabbing a spacie. What do you guys tech case with? Regrab? Fair? Judgement hammer?

Cactuarz

Smash Ace
I'm not the biggest guy on tech chasing with G&W, mostly cause i go for the guarenteed thing. However, if you can get them onto a platform you can tech chase them all day, and by tech chase, i mean get in the middle of a platform with a nair that covers 4 out of 5 options (all but getupattack) haha

seriously though, if you have them in a throw, it's usually better to go for the uthrow with spacies and get the free regrab/hammer/nair, or throw them off the stage into fair/bacon/panspike. if you wanna opt for tech chasing it could be fun and even work. G&W's fast moves to chase a tech would be a wavedash dtilt or a shuffled fair on anyone that has a halfway decent tech roll. Though with fair you can mix it up with either weak or strong hits.

People with a bad tech roll i think regrabs are possible, same with wavedash jab > grab/dtilt. (jab is raaaaaape)

Also dairs i could see working wonders against say like... falcon's horrid tech roll. But you have to remember when going for tech chasing you wanna hit them with something dependant on their % will lead into more hits. If you ever hit them up into platforms you have a plethora of options. nair/waveland shield grab (works well on that getup attack nair doesn't cover ;) ) dair, edge canceled bair/dair (landing hit of edge canceld dair hits well into a free bair (which you can also edge cancel easily after an edge canceled jump) which usually hits into fair/nair if they DI out of it about half way through or you can drop with an uair if they DI with your bair to stay behind you.

Lately I've been trying to use more uair for platform tech chasing. get in the middle of the platform underneath and wait for the tech, if they roll left or right hit them with first puff of uair on their side closest to the middle of a platform, so you can hit with the second hit up in the air (almost always hits 2'nd hit) when keep drifting so you edge cancel it, most times this combos in a nair at mid-high %'s.

(Example)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytrUpG4EJIk

the combo at :29

the first uair at :32 was me jumpin the gun a bit and not spacing myself quite right, he got out of it. but later in the same clip at :36 i do it (while not in a tech position) to sheild poke him into the same concept.

Also on a side note, uair sheild pokes people REALLY well if they're on a platform and scared

Same video at 6:30 shows nair tech chasing on the platform and how broken it is =D

G&W has a lot going for him that can cover his weaknesses up well. What would you consider G&W's weaknesses to be, sheild/recover/dies quick? how should we cover these up my fellow G&W's

Faithkeeper

Smash Lord
I'm not the biggest guy on tech chasing with G&W, mostly cause i go for the guarenteed thing.
Yeah, going for a guaranteed hit might be better, except on platforms, as you mentioned.

G&W has a lot going for him that can cover his weaknesses up well. What would you consider G&W's weaknesses to be, sheild/recover/dies quick? how should we cover these up my fellow G&W's
The three things you mentioned seem to be among his weaknesses. As far as I can tell, G&W has no reliable way to make someone approach, (which isn't so bad because he seems good at baiting via movement... he's a speedy little guy)

I think the best answers to his generally bad defense (bad shield, dies early, unsure of decent oos shield options) are preventative measures. G&W can be quick, very quick movement speed to avoid attacks could help alleviate his shield and death problems. Retreating fair could also help.

Bacon used something like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkjWGcET3D4&feature=related
might help recovery as well.

I've only played this character for like 3 hours so I'm not really one to be giving advice atm.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
Hey bottom/low tiers are the best to play as for fun. you get to learn/discover many new things all the time to help other people. all I know is as pichu i'm a very smart player so i've been told and when I think of all my great ideas i've had yes I may be one.

also the problrm I see with saying cover your flaws is it may force you to play in a very limited manner like bowser's out of sheild game is up-B all day and he can and normally has to win based off of his up-B it makes you feel limited at times and when you cut off your options it's not the best I approach with side-B as pichu and do other things some may call duumb that easily shows the flaws of pichu I simply don't let them in or I make sure I can get in. I have just walked up doing f-tilts like a cpus vs my brother and was totally thrown off.

Play so you win/learn in the way you want.

Cactuarz

Smash Ace
walking up and ftilting with pichu is fast, and hard to punish if unexpected. It's not a bad technique, side b'ing to approach is terrible... you can mindgame someone and they still have time to tipper fsmash you...

Some of us aren't playing bottom/low tiers for fun, I myself am trying to get good. Covering your flaws only limits you if you let it. I've never felt limited by G&W save for when sheik grabs me (x.x)

I'm thinking the point of your post is to use the char the way you want. Which is fine, but if they want advice on stuff, we give our opinions and he can take it and choose his own way to implement the knowledge.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
I'm saying don't limit yourself it'snever always and never. There is always a way around always and never.

I do dumb things as pichu so they have problems to adapting, I simply play off the wall so they can't really work withj any habits I may/may not have and reading me will turn out counter productive. So I try to make myself immue to mindgames and they have to straight forwad fight me and then it becomes a react and punish for me and keep throwing them off. How I play I geuss. I rarly f-tilt like that.

n0ne

Smash Ace
whoa... nicely said by Axe. Where did he post that?
And what he says is true.
For example, of my mains, Mario and G&W are always laughed at when i choose them.
But when i start playing my oponent always gets surprised because they are not used to play characters like that. So in that aspect, one has the upper hand. G&W ***** Falcon ,Dorf, has a good matchup against spacies if used right, not so bad against puff and Dk, etc, etc.

The thing is, he dies too quickly and his shield is laughter. How do u counter this?
you have to play offensively and make your % count. (counter your weakness) G&W does good things against higher tier characters.

Anyways. Techchasing? Nice. The only way Ive done this is grab-throw to platform approach then the same thing to the next platform.
Getupattack is gay tho. doesnt work against that

n0ne

Smash Ace
anyways. parachute is the best option for platform tech chasing.
Best AND safe. Beats everything. Except gay getup attack or timed normal getup (up on control stick) to use invincibility.

Top Bottom