• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Team Star Fox call in Krystal for Smash!

Draxis

Smash Apprentice
NNID
xShadowSladexx
Welp already gave her my rating and I honestly think those are her realistic chance.

Smokey21 Smokey21 ah yes you guys at discord are having fun using the krystal model in vr chat, I wonder if anyone said anything bad for using the model ( bad as in name calling for example since you how people can be sometimes with anthro characters ).

And yeah I agree, gamefaq does have lot of angry raging babies which I like to enjoy reading people's rage comments for laughs :)

Smokey21

Smash Apprentice
Welp already gave her my rating and I honestly think those are her realistic chance.

Smokey21 Smokey21 ah yes you guys at discord are having fun using the krystal model in vr chat, I wonder if anyone said anything bad for using the model ( bad as in name calling for example since you how people can be sometimes with anthro characters ).

And yeah I agree, gamefaq does have lot of angry raging babies which I like to enjoy reading people's rage comments for laughs :)
Ehh I might go hit up that rate their chances thread, but the characters that will be in the game at launch will already have been set as of a few years ago likely. And from what I saw of it so far is a bunch of spiteful people rating her as a 1% simply because they don’t want to see her in.

The worst thing I personally heard and it wasn’t about me or to me or someone I know was that she was “discount renamon”. I nearly have 20 hours on the game and have yet to have any negative reaction to the model myself. Yeah I don’t know why people hate anthro characters so much sometimes, that’s just one of those things.

Oh yeah gamefaqs is a good laugh if you want to see all the dregs of society get together under one roof. Lol

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Man the RTC is not being kind to Krystal at all. I feel like I gave one of the highest chance scores for her.

ZealousGamer

Smash Ace
Man the RTC is not being kind to Krystal at all. I feel like I gave one of the highest chance scores for her.
I'm not quite sure why. Krystal is the next most likely Starfox character I'd see being added (Wolf returning is the most likely). Slippy or a Starfox characters isn't likely so, Krystal at least far more likely than anyone from Starfox other than Wolf.

Draxis

Smash Apprentice
NNID
xShadowSladexx
I guess I'm not kind to her either since I only gave her 5% .... heh heh. But to be honest that is pretty much her realistic percentage, not much going for her other then the ballot although some of people in that thread are being a bit harsh on her but it is somewhat understandable. Some people don't care for her or is interested.

At least there isn't hate comment like I usually see in other websites when she gets mention.

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
My atttitude is that Krystal, as well as anything else post SF64 are still canon, until Nintendo says otherwise.

Edit: Man that Lampy guy is stubborn as all hell

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I mean Want scores as well. It's surprising to me though some characters have a rather large vocal hatebase.

Smokey21

Smash Apprentice
I mean Want scores as well. It's surprising to me though some characters have a rather large vocal hatebase.
Yeah her hatebase is infamously rotten. And her fanbase have all lost hope and have gone silent.

Gagnetar

Smash Journeyman
It's nothing new, I just figured it had died out considering it's 2018. The majority of the reasons have nothing to do with the character, people don't like that she has a large amount of r34, people blame her for Starfox sucking, despite the likelihood the franchise probably would have died out just like F-Zero if not for Dinosaur planet, they Try to give them what they wanted with 64 3D and Zero and no one bought it. They don't like that she'd attract furries, even though Star Fox does that anyway and furries are about as equally homosexual as they are heterosexual. People have barely mentioned nutbuster Krystal from command in their reasoning, which is a totally valid reason to hate her, but like Other M after it, people just ignore it.

In the end people just want to hate her.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
It's nothing new, I just figured it had died out considering it's 2018. The majority of the reasons have nothing to do with the character, people don't like that she has a large amount of r34, people blame her for Starfox sucking, despite the likelihood the franchise probably would have died out just like F-Zero if not for Dinosaur planet, they Try to give them what they wanted with 64 3D and Zero and no one bought it. They don't like that she'd attract furries, even though Star Fox does that anyway and furries are about as equally homosexual as they are heterosexual. People have barely mentioned nutbuster Krystal from command in their reasoning, which is a totally valid reason to hate her, but like Other M after it, people just ignore it.

In the end people just want to hate her.
I disagree about SF0. I feel the controls that game implemented was the major reason for the way it performed. Which sucks because we know the whole song and dance with Nintendo franchises that have a bad entry sales wise. It goes in the doghouse for a decade or even longer for some series.

But yeah I agree that blaming Krystal for the series downfall is a dumb thing or blaming a particular character for the franchise's decline.

Gagnetar

Smash Journeyman
I disagree about SF0. I feel the controls that game implemented was the major reason for the way it performed. Which sucks because we know the whole song and dance with Nintendo franchises that have a bad entry sales wise. It goes in the doghouse for a decade or even longer for some series.

But yeah I agree that blaming Krystal for the series downfall is a dumb thing or blaming a particular character for the franchise's decline.
Most people quote the controls being the defining negative point, but it's really only half of it, it marks the 4th time the original game has reappeared, apparently referencing VG chartz is bad for sell data but where else is there pull from, but SF64 sold 6 million copies, SF64 3D, with something like a 32 million install base on the 3ds sold 1 million, Starfox Adventures sold nearly 2 million, Zero only sold 400k, of course the Wii U's install base was garbage and it was released at about the time they completely gave up on the console, but still really maybe SF was never all that great to begin with? Would anyone really buy the 5th rendition of the same game?

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Most people quote the controls being the defining negative point, but it's really only half of it, it marks the 4th time the original game has reappeared, apparently referencing VG chartz is bad for sell data but where else is there pull from, but SF64 sold 6 million copies, SF64 3D, with something like a 32 million install base on the 3ds sold 1 million, Starfox Adventures sold nearly 2 million, Zero only sold 400k, of course the Wii U's install base was garbage and it was released at about the time they completely gave up on the console, but still really maybe SF was never all that great to begin with? Would anyone really buy the 5th rendition of the same game?
Was SF0 a remake of SF64? I mean it wouldn't surprise me since that's the only game Star Fox fans want.

Then again Assault was a really good game on the Gamecube and it didn't rip off SF64. It also did over a million copies.

Gagnetar

Smash Journeyman
Was SF0 a remake of SF64? I mean it wouldn't surprise me since that's the only game Star Fox fans want.

Then again Assault was a really good game on the Gamecube and it didn't rip off SF64. It also did over a million copies.
Yea you're catchin on nicely, people saw footage and claimed it was just a remake of SF/SF64, which it was barring a few mechanic changes, for damage control they released the buzz word "re-imagining" which is a generous, more accurate, but generous way to look at it. Assault Ironically suffers the same issues with a clunky control scheme, but after Zero I've seen more fans, around the net more interested in Assaults style, it's heart-warming, really. Zero had the chicken-walker, which was stripped from SF2, It had the dual-screen gimmick, which is well-documented as not being good, It had the Gyrowing, which to my knowledge was new, it was really slow and not really made for SF's style in my opinion, People often mark Zero has Krystal's biggest bane, but really for her bane she got two pretty nice things from Zero, they mentioned Sauria in the trailer, Slippy mentions just leaving from it, and then a response from the co-developer of the game, Yusuke Hashimoto saying he'd love to put her in the next game, Krystal was also noticeably mentioned on the Super-Nes classic book with her own paragraph, (not related to SF mind you it had a quote from Reggie made for book, meaning NoA endorsed it)
Krystal SNES book.jpg
So she may not exist anymore in the eyes of some fans, but Zero is really no different than 64 3D for Krystal's canon existance

Last edited:

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
I wouldn't listen to Krystal's hatebase. Their irrelevant opinions and reasons for hating her are worth less than Blockbuster stock. They are best ignored and not taken seriously

Last edited:

Ghirahilda

♥Smash Beauty♥
NNID
Marcelinho21
I hope Krystal gets in and be top tier just for me to beat the haters
Man! we can see the hatred for her right now on the "rate their chances" thread.
Also, people justifying because they want Wolf back. I didnt know that wanting a certain character from a series makes you instantly 100% not wanting others. Like "oh I can't say that I want this character because this will hurt the character that I want". I think this is immaturity
But whatever
I really want her badly now

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
I hope Krystal gets in and be top tier just for me to beat the haters
Man! we can see the hatred for her right now on the "rate their chances" thread.
Also, people justifying because they want Wolf back. I didnt know that wanting a certain character from a series makes you instantly 100% not wanting others. Like "oh I can't say that I want this character because this will hurt the character that I want". I think this is immaturity
But whatever
I really want her badly now
That is ridiculous, we CAN get both. Wolf is an easy character to make and Krystal would be a unique rep

jordansweeto

Smash Apprentice
At the end of the day it doesn't matter how likely the Smash community thinks Krystal or any character will appear in the next game.
Nintendo make the final call. If they want a certain character in it will happen.

And as I've said many times before, if a character has enough vocal supporters and love for them it's very unlikely to go unnoticed.
Keep your heads up team!
Every Nintendo character has a shot and Krystal has always had a large vocal following, that much hasn't changed which is a huge point in her favor :)

Last edited:

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
How many threads is this now? If this fanbase has anything, it's an indomitable spirit.

I guess I'm not kind to her either since I only gave her 5% .... heh heh. But to be honest that is pretty much her realistic percentage, not much going for her other then the ballot although some of people in that thread are being a bit harsh on her but it is somewhat understandable. Some people don't care for her or is interested.

At least there isn't hate comment like I usually see in other websites when she gets mention.
RTC isn't known for its accuracy. I wouldn't worry about it. It's a fun diversion, but nothing that holds weight at the end of the day.
By the way, I contributed to this low score, even though I gave her a 100% in want.
Predicting newcomers is tricky, and when you add biases and emotions to the mix as raters are wont to do, reliable averages become even harder to obtain. Our participation in the ballot, and the amazing work you guys have been doing lately with the social media outreach, will be much more impactful than a favorable perception in a funposting thread for guesstimations.

Thanks for keeping an open mind about this character and for injecting some positivity into what must have been an overwhelmingly negative discussion.

At the end of the day it doesn't matter how likely the Smash community thinks Krystal or any character will appear in the next game.
Nintendo make the final call. If they want a certain character in it will happen.

And as I've said many times before, if a character has enough vocal supporters and love for them it's very unlikely to go unnoticed.
Keep your heads up team!
Every Nintendo character has a shot and Krystal has always had a large vocal following, that much hasn't changed which is a huge point in her favor :)
And thank you for being such an incredible help, Jordan. I could not have asked for a better ambassador. The rest of you are awesome as well for keeping up the support this long and making considerable strides to get her back where she belongs. An appearance in the next SF by itself will have been worth all the attention we drew with our votes and our voices. Once Krystal is reintegrated into the series, and Star Fox gets a clean bill of health, the rest will take care of itself. Krystal is not the main star of the show, but she can still patch a Smash-worthy resume together with an accumulation of appearances as a co-protagonist in Adventures and a main supporting role in future installments. I think she's only one more appearance away, but it has to be significant and the game needs to have the relevant developer's undivided attention to ensure that it has the best chance to be a commercial success. Lastly, it would be beneficial to Star Fox if she were to be utilized again. To re-emerge as the all-star she once was in the eyes of others and the one she always was to us. Star Fox is at its best when it's got its full compliment of fan favorites and when the controls are intuitive.

Gagnetar

Smash Journeyman
How many threads is this now? If this fanbase has anything, it's an indomitable spirit.

RTC isn't known for its accuracy. I wouldn't worry about it. It's a fun diversion, but nothing that holds weight at the end of the day.
By the way, I contributed to this low score, even though I gave her a 100% in want.
Predicting newcomers is tricky, and when you add biases and emotions to the mix as raters are wont to do, reliable averages become even harder to obtain. Our participation in the ballot, and the amazing work you guys have been doing lately with the social media outreach, will be much more impactful than a favorable perception in a funposting thread for guesstimations.

Thanks for keeping an open mind about this character and for injecting some positivity into what must have been an overwhelmingly negative discussion.

And thank you for being such an incredible help, Jordan. I could not have asked for a better ambassador. The rest of you are awesome as well for keeping up the support this long and making considerable strides to get her back where she belongs. An appearance in the next SF by itself will have been worth all the attention we drew with our votes and our voices. Once Krystal is reintegrated into the series, and Star Fox gets a clean bill of health, the rest will take care of itself. Krystal is not the main star of the show, but she can still patch a Smash-worthy resume together with an accumulation of appearances as a co-protagonist in Adventures and a main supporting role in future installments. I think she's only one more appearance away, but it has to be significant and the game needs to have the relevant developer's undivided attention to ensure that it has the best chance to be a commercial success. Lastly, it would be beneficial to Star Fox if she were to be utilized again. To re-emerge as the all-star she once was in the eyes of others and the one she always was to us. Star Fox is at its best when it's got its full compliment of fan favorites and when the controls are intuitive.
4 I think, 2 for brawl, 1 for smash 4, then this one for smash switch, also yea I'd say it's narrowed down to people who aren't giving up on her. And they still exist elsewhere even if they don't speak up anymore. Anything done currently on smashboards doesn't mean **** for the base roster, that was decided in late 2015-2016 i'm virtually certain, We made a lot of noise after the announcement too, which I'd imagine was shoved into a folder for DLC characters later, not to mention I don't think NoA is gonna read that far, I'd imagine they'd check for views, replies and read at a small level into each big support thread, that is merely conjecture of course. I think my favorite was Phantom's, who gave 10%/10% despite giving pauline a 100% want and 55% chance, I would like to see ANY kit for her what-so-ever, not to mention her popularity burst misses timing for the base roster, but I digress. Yea having Jordan is pretty impactful, getting that dev response and being able to flex numbers I'm sure helped the ballot and I think it was also partially responsible for the more open community shift towards Assault. We'll have to see if they'll revisit the franchise, just remember that Krystal was almost certainly considered first before Wolf and just because Wolf was chosen by no means means we can't get Krystal, she's not a one-off character, and that Sakurai himself nearly made a Star Fox game, we're also digging deep into nintendo's repertoire of characters, factoring in the likely expanse of the roster and THEN DLC, there really isn't all that many serious character picks to choose from. She may not be a high priority over a set of characters, but that set of characters really isn't that large. She's a sleeper character choice, and a dual-reveal with Wolf would do fine at driving character hype. Because while people are quick to mention Krystal hatred, there was a swath of Wolf hatred, and don't forget the outrage even with smash 4 of clone characters, not matter how little wolf was cloned, it still qualifies. And the most reasons people have for him to come back are "he shouldn't have been cut" So they aren't both flawless character choices, One stands to reason that you'd need both to prevent more outrage, If he was as important as a veteran as we make it, he would have made Smash 4/5's base roster, he would have made DLC, but perhaps it was something different, remember that Sakurai basically stated they held back on DLC that time, People are saying this smash only has 2 years in development, I have no idea where they get that number, the Smash 6 listing puts it at FOUR years, and Resetera staff are hinting at Ridley being playable this time, They're going to push this smash as hard as they can. They know what we want, and being a long-time character pick is probably going to mean something.

TheCynicalCdr

Smash Ace

Keep your heads up team!
I was gonna say whatever went on in the rating thread there, I wouldnt take it this seriously. I did give my input but at the same time I had to give a couple or few individuals lip for using irrelevant terms with visual proof showing they're wrong. I didnt care if they were opposed, it was saying she was retconned was what made it an issue for me.

Retconned: This. I dont really have to go into it, the point is that book completely obliterates all argument of her being removed even after Zero and SF2. What i've noticed though is how these people only go after her with this, never the others that appeared after 64, it's kinda why I suspect this has more to do with a certain something i've concluded than it is anything legitimate (not that there is)
Relevancy: The fact you have characters both in the game and wanted that havent had an appearance in eons. One user in the rate thread pointed out Pit, which is very true.

Beside all that, this happened last night. At the same time we ran into another Krystal user.
https://twitter.com/Cdr_Douche/status/976179163160829954

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
I was gonna say whatever went on in the rating thread there, I wouldnt take it this seriously. I did give my input but at the same time I had to give a couple or few individuals lip for using irrelevant terms with visual proof showing they're wrong. I didnt care if they were opposed, it was saying she was retconned was what made it an issue for me.

Retconned: This. I dont really have to go into it, the point is that book completely obliterates all argument of her being removed even after Zero and SF2. What i've noticed though is how these people only go after her with this, never the others that appeared after 64, it's kinda why I suspect this has more to do with a certain something i've concluded than it is anything legitimate (not that there is)
Relevancy: The fact you have characters both in the game and wanted that havent had an appearance in eons. One user in the rate thread pointed out Pit, which is very true.

Beside all that, this happened last night. At the same time we ran into another Krystal user.
I pointed out Pit

Smokey21

Smash Apprentice

Keep your heads up team!
That is true, and if Nintendo is this close to the game coming out then the character's that were going to make it in have already made it. There's also the case of DLC characters, which I am sure they do have planned at some point in this games life-cycle. Probably being the biggest installment in the franchise. Still reeling a little bit from just seeing that RTC thread, but I have not and will not give up on supporting her. We've been here this long, so we might as well keep riding this out.
Yeah.... we try. :laugh:

Morbi

Scavenger

Not that I do not believe she will return; however, that does not prove anything, it literally talks about the "timeline" after Star Fox Adventures which has since been rebooted. Technically everything in Star Fox was retconned with Zero (albeit, it was an extremely soft retcon, I almost consider it more of a retelling than anything). Now Arwings transform into stupid little bird things. Who would have guessed it back in the 64 era?

Beyond that, Pit was retro at that point, and the main character of his series. Krystal, while largely neglected, is not what I would consider retro and she is not the main character either. Perhaps if Dinosaur Planet ever came to fruition. Then again, it might have failed regardless. But if not, I bet she would have been playable years ago.

Gagnetar

Smash Journeyman
Not that I do not believe she will return; however, that does not prove anything, it literally talks about the "timeline" after Star Fox Adventures which has since been rebooted. Technically everything in Star Fox was retconned with Zero (albeit, it was an extremely soft retcon, I almost consider it more of a retelling than anything). Now Arwings transform into stupid little bird things. Who would have guessed it back in the 64 era?

Beyond that, Pit was retro at that point, and the main character of his series. Krystal, while largely neglected, is not what I would consider retro and she is not the main character either. Perhaps if Dinosaur Planet ever came to fruition. Then again, it might have failed regardless. But if not, I bet she would have been playable years ago.
The only thing that changed was that they had transforming ships, and like venom was turned into a teleporter or something.
That doesn't suddenly cause a set of sequels to be thrown out. Metroid: Samus returns was a remake of Metroid 2, which gave her Aeion abilities, I haven't seen anyone throwing their arms into the air saying every plotline no longer matters because of that, provided I haven't looked. Eitherway, another thing people say about that is Krystal not showing up in the orbital gate, well guess who's not there either? Star Wolf, and I don't see anyone talking about Wolf being thrown out of the series. The point is wait for a brand new Star Fox title to decide if they truly don't want her anymore. Canon isn't nearly as important to devs as it is fans, I personally don't even pay it any mind. Zero doesn't count as new either, I'm talking some kind of sequel or actual reboot.

Mr. Brownstone

Smash Cadet

It certainly proves more than what the other side can propound; which is essentially nothing except an 11-year-old Krystal not appearing in a game she shouldn't be in anyway. The post-64 timeline has never been officially rebooted. In fact, they went around the world to not label it a reboot. To this day, SF Zero is a reimagining. If it was a reboot, why didn't they just call it that right from the beginning? As I said earlier, it's possible that they still want to reboot the series, but even then I'm not worried in the slightest. Hashimoto from Platinum Games already said he'd love to bring her back in a potential sequel, plus we had Sauria mentioned in “The Battle Begins”. All of this, in combination with the book (especially the way she was kinda highlighted), is a good amount of proof to at least expect a Krystal comeback. I mean, why do they keep reminding us of her, in situations where it doesn't even make that much sense? This is not how you retcon a character.

Yeah, Krystal is not the main protagonist of the series, but a main character nonetheless, as the book suggests. She is basically the female lead of the series (post-64 timeline). I wish we had more females on the team, though. I'd like to see Miyu & Fay join in future installments as well. Peppy can still be on the team, so we'd have 3 females and 4 males plus ROB.

Btw, the “bird things”, also known as Walker, aren't exactly new. They took that idea from SF2.

Eitherway, another thing people say about that is Krystal not showing up in the orbital gate, well guess who's not there either? Star Wolf, and I don't see anyone talking about Wolf being thrown out of the series.
They only say things when it fits their own narrative. Typical double-standard. Not to mention that Krystal is still in Smash. They gave her a new trophy (new pose & description), plus she's still in the Lylat Cruise stage.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
It certainly proves more than what the other side can propound; which is essentially nothing except an 11-year-old Krystal not appearing in a game she shouldn't be in anyway. The post-64 timeline has never been officially rebooted. In fact, they went around the world to not label it a reboot. To this day, SF Zero is a reimagining. If it was a reboot, why didn't they just call it that right from the beginning? As I said earlier, it's possible that they still want to reboot the series, but even then I'm not worried in the slightest. Hashimoto from Platinum Games already said he'd love to bring her back in a potential sequel, plus we had Sauria mentioned in “The Battle Begins”. All of this, in combination with the book (especially the way she was kinda highlighted), is a good amount of proof to at least expect a Krystal comeback. I mean, why do they keep reminding us of her, in situations where it doesn't even make that much sense? This is not how you retcon a character.

Yeah, Krystal is not the main protagonist of the series, but a main character nonetheless, as the book suggests. She is basically the female lead of the series (post-64 timeline). I wish we had more females on the team, though. I'd like to see Miyu & Fay join in future installments as well. Peppy can still be on the team, so we'd have 3 females and 4 males plus ROB.

Btw, the “bird things”, also known as Walker, aren't exactly new. They took that idea from SF2.

They only say things when they fit their narrative. Typical double-standard. Not to mention that Krystal is still in Smash. They gave her a new trophy (new pose & description) plus she's still in the Lylat Cruise stage.
Let us be real, they wanted to make a Star Fox game without any of the associated risk, as a result, they wanted the safest approach. The reason they went out of their way to not call it a reboot, well, first of all, I doubt they are redoing Star Fox Adventures, beyond that, if it failed, which it did, they could just continue with the older stuff. That has nothing to do with the perception. You are getting into all sorts of technicalities that most fans do not consider. And while you might be right, there is still the question of "where do they move forward" and the answer is more or less obvious and THAT is what people are picking up on.

Metroid Other M, which did not bomb as hard, more or less killed Metroid. We are getting SR and Prime 4 nearly seven years later. If we have to wait that long for them to decide what they want to do with Star Fox, that is why no one is talking about Krystal.

Nah, it states she replaces Peppy, which, while probably the most important member of the team outside of Fox, he is not a "main protagonist."

I know where they got it, they dropped the idea in 64 for a reason. Why they brought it back, I will never know.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I think Nintendo was deliberately vague on whether Zero was a reboot or not because I don't think they knew what was coming next and wanted to leave all possibilities open.

Morbi

Scavenger
I think Nintendo was deliberately vague on whether Zero was a reboot or not because I don't think they knew what was coming next and wanted to leave all possibilities open.
Yes, exactly, that was my point, but I was not quite sure how to phrase it.

The only thing that changed was that they had transforming ships, and like venom was turned into a teleporter or something.
That doesn't suddenly cause a set of sequels to be thrown out. Metroid: Samus returns was a remake of Metroid 2, which gave her Aeion abilities, I haven't seen anyone throwing their arms into the air saying every plotline no longer matters because of that, provided I haven't looked. Eitherway, another thing people say about that is Krystal not showing up in the orbital gate, well guess who's not there either? Star Wolf, and I don't see anyone talking about Wolf being thrown out of the series. The point is wait for a brand new Star Fox title to decide if they truly don't want her anymore. Canon isn't nearly as important to devs as it is fans, I personally don't even pay it any mind. Zero doesn't count as new either, I'm talking some kind of sequel or actual reboot.
That is the inherent issue, is it not? I agree with you, usually the canon is not as important. So why not write Krystal into Zero? It would have been so easy, she did not need to be a main character or anything, just have her present. That, to me, speaks volumes. It might just be me, however. But I find talk to be cheap, I will believe them when I see it.

Gagnetar

Smash Journeyman
Let us be real, they wanted to make a Star Fox game without any of the associated risk, as a result, they wanted the safest approach. The reason they went out of their way to not call it a reboot, well, first of all, I doubt they are redoing Star Fox Adventures, beyond that, if it failed, which it did, they could just continue with the older stuff. That has nothing to do with the perception. You are getting into all sorts of technicalities that most fans do not consider. And while you might be right, there is still the question of "where do they move forward" and the answer is more or less obvious and THAT is what people are picking up on.

Metroid Other M, which did not bomb as hard, more or less killed Metroid. We are getting SR and Prime 4 nearly seven years later. If we have to wait that long for them to decide what they want to do with Star Fox, that is why no one is talking about Krystal.

Nah, it states she replaces Peppy, which, while probably the most important member of the team outside of Fox, he is not a "main protagonist."

I know where they got it, they dropped the idea in 64 for a reason. Why they brought it back, I will never know.
It isn't obvious, at all actually. They've experimented with every game they've done, they've gone back to the basics, and all they've gotten is continually decreasing sales with each title. The next game will either be radically different, Or they'll likely just give up on it.

They weren't vague on it, they literally called it a re-imagining, the reboot was entirely fan interpretation.

Mr. Brownstone

Smash Cadet
I know that I overthink certain things from time to time :chuckle: I just don't see Nintendo doing what some people suggest, which is simply throwing away a pretty popular character. To me, this is more about common sense than anything else really. And I mean, Zero failing only helps Krystal. It shows that she was never at fault and that the 64 stuff is probably dead now. At this point, they have to move forward. They don't really have a choice. Bringing her back could help the series a lot. They have nothing to lose, have they?

Waiting this long would be the exact mistake they can make right now. That's pretty much what they did after Command, and we all know how that turned out. They cannot afford to skip the Switch, like they did with the Wii back then. That also wouldn't go along with Miyamoto's statement about putting more energy into making Fox more popular. Skipping the Switch would lead to the opposite. And don't forget the 25th anniversary. This could be their chance to get the series back in the spotlight.

I know that Fox is the main protagonist, while his team members are the main characters; and that includes her. The book says that among the main characters she is the exception because she joined later, thus replacing a previous main character. Unlike the 4 guys, she didn't appear in all of the games, but that is not a requirement to become a main character. When it comes to the actual events (Lylat Wars, Sauria Crisis, Aparoid Invasion & Anglar Blitz), Krystal appeared in 3 of the 4, always as a playable character mind you.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
I know that I overthink certain things from time to time :chuckle: I just don't see Nintendo doing what some people suggest, which is simply throwing away a pretty popular character. To me, this is more about common sense than anything else really. And I mean, Zero failing only helps Krystal. It shows that she was never at fault and that the 64 stuff is probably dead now. At this point, they have to move forward. They don't really have a choice. Bringing her back could help the series a lot.

Waiting this long would be the exact mistake they can make right now. That's pretty much what they did after Command, and we all know how that turned out. They cannot afford to skip the Switch, like they did with the Wii back then. That also wouldn't go along with Miyamoto's statement about putting more energy into making Fox more popular. Skipping the Switch would lead to the opposite. And don't forget the 25th anniversary. This could be their chance to get the series back in the spotlight.

I know that Fox is the main protagonist, while his team members are the main characters; and that includes her. The book says that among the main characters she is the exception because she joined later, thus replacing a previous main character. Unlike the 4 guys, she didn't appear in all of the games, but that is not a requirement to become a main character. When it comes to the actual events (Lylat Wars, Sauria Crisis, Aparoid Invasion & Anglar Blitz), Krystal appeared in 3 of the 4, always as a playable character mind you.
Realistically, the problem was the forced motion controls. That is the only reason I never bought it and it negatively impacted Skyward Sword as well (albeit, that had more to do with the necessary peripheral than anything). I mean, sure, 64 stuff is quite redundant as well, but almost all discussion about the game is regarding the controls.

Trust me. I agree with your logic, I just doubt Nintendo. Hard to trust them when they make horrible decisions, such as the aforementioned motion controls. I am sure we will get Star Fox on the Switch, the question is, do we get it relatively soon, a few years? At the end of the life-cycle? Who knows.

I am 100% sure Krystal will return in the next game. I am purely asserting that she has no reason to be in Smash whatsoever, at this current time. I wish that were not the case. But I cannot see how it is even vaguely justifiable.

Quillion

Smash Hero
This may be a weird opinion, but am I the only one who wants Krystal... but doesn't want her to use her staff? I think it would be better if she uses the weapons from Assault instead.

Morbi

Scavenger
This may be a weird opinion, but am I the only one who wants Krystal... but doesn't want her to use her staff? I think it would be better if she uses the weapons from Assault instead.
The staff, in general, is her huge selling point; however, I would not mind a staffless Krystal in the slightest. The Star Fox characters are 3 for 3 and the pole-arm characters are 0-1. I would definitely feel more comfortable without it.

Mr. Brownstone

Smash Cadet
So why not write Krystal into Zero? It would have been so easy, she did not need to be a main character or anything, just have her present.
It would have been easy, yes, but risky at the same time. Zero was yet another push for the 64 stuff. So they probably didn't want to go too overboard with it, and rather stick to the original, at least plot-wise. As I said a while ago, I'm actually happy that she didn't appear in Zero. She dodged a major bullet. Let's say she appeared, in whatever way, shape or form, I can guarantee you, one-hundred percent, they would have blamed it all on her. They'd say how she has nothing to do with the Lylat Wars story and stuff like that. Although, I wouldn't have minded to see something like Andross' spirit arriving on Cerinia in a post-credits scene or something like that ;) Wishful thinking, I know...

Also, after Zero, there's certainly been a noticeable change of mind among the fanbase in favor of Adventures & Assault. That was unthinkable a few years back, at least to that degree. So Zero's failure might be beneficial when it comes to the direction of future SF games.

As jordansweeto jordansweeto said, our requests on Twitter and the like probably haven't gone unnoticed. So they have no reason to throw her away. It's not like there's no interest for her at all. All the more reason to keep her. We'll just have to wait and see.

Last edited:

Darkfur

Abbey Recorder
sneaking low to the ground, ready to pounce
I've been a fan of Krystal in Smash since her debut. Everytime a new smash is announced I find my way back to this board. 15+ years and counting. lol.

I throw my lot behind my favorite blue vixen. =) If I can have my Wolf back and her as a Newcomer I'd be incredibly happy.

Quillion

Smash Hero
Also, after Zero, there's certainly been a noticeable change of mind among the fanbase in favor of Adventures & Assault. That was unthinkable a few years back, at least to that degree. So Zero's failure might be beneficial when it comes to the direction of future SF games.
Really? I thought the opinions on Adventures and Assault are as follows:
  • Adventures had really awful ideas in the context of Star Fox, but executed them well.
  • Assault had really good ideas, but executed them poorly.
They're essentially polar opposites, but neither is seen as an ideal Star Fox installment. It certainly doesn't help that the franchise was shuffled around different developers.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I'm just imagining Assault's multiplayer on Switch WLan.

enters happy place

Ah...

Mr. Brownstone

Smash Cadet
Really? I thought the opinions on Adventures and Assault are as follows:
  • Adventures had really awful ideas in the context of Star Fox, but executed them well.
  • Assault had really good ideas, but executed them poorly.
They're essentially polar opposites, but neither is seen as an ideal Star Fox installment. It certainly doesn't help that the franchise was shuffled around different developers.
Yeah, but since Zero had awful ideas (like telling the same story for the third time) that, on top of it, were executed poorly, people started to realize that Assault & Adventures at least had one of these two aspects (ideas & execution) going in their favor, respectively. And they both gave us actual story progression, allowing the series to grow. Lately, Assault is definitely getting more love than it used to. It's even leading in some fan polls, like the one on Arwingpedia. It was poorly executed, but the basic concept was a huge step forward for the series, and people are aware of its potential. When it comes to Adventures, it's rather the plot that fascinates people. Right now, we have 2 big Adventures fan comics going on, both being well-received. Gagnetar Gagnetar started a thread on the Nintendo Switch Reddit some time ago where Adventures was also getting lots of love, even in the top comments. And I think, now that open-world is such a big thing, an Adventures reimagining might do well on the Switch. Additionally, I'm no longer seeing too many people claiming that 64 is the answer, because 64 3D & Zero proved otherwise. Times have changed. We no longer live in the 90s, so what might have been an ideal SF game back then, is no longer an ideal SF game these days. The series needs to move forward again, in terms of both, gameplay and story. I can only tell you what I have noticed, but I'm sure the other guys will tell you the same: Zero has changed people's minds.

I'm just imagining Assault's multiplayer on Switch WLan.

enters happy place

Ah...
That would be a dream come true, indeed ;)

Last edited:

Princess Toady

Smash Ace
NNID
PrincessToady
Hey everyone, long time no see~

Glad to see that Krystal still has nice supporters, as always. I've been wanting her in Smash ever since the release of Starfox Adventure, and that much hasn't changed. Count me in!

Although I'm not optimistic about her chances. I feel like with Krystal, she's either in the core game or she won't be in at all. And by that I mean that I feel she has 0 chance to appear as DLC, unlike other characters such as veterans or Mario characters and the such.

Still, here's to hoping that she finally makes it in. Along with Wolf, to renew people's interests in this dying franchise.
Which, to be fair, sucks quite a lot. Like many people I know that had a Wii U, I didn't bother with Starfox 0. Truly a waste of resources in my opinion.

If only there was a way for us to obtain Assault's spiritual successor...

-

Oh yeah, and as for the new Smash game, I'm hoping it's not a deluxe version. SSB4 bored me already.

Last edited:
Top Bottom