• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Team Attack!

kirbykid

BRoomer
BRoomer
Teams has always been my favorite mode in smash. When done correctly, Teams exhibit the highest levels of Smash play. When done incorrectly, Teams boils down to a chaotic button mashing fiesta where the structure of the game is nearly lost. It’s time again for some pros and cons.

<!--more-->I’ll start with cons. The biggest con for teams is you must fight with a partner. What I mean by this is you must have four people to play with, and they must also want to play with their partners. Once you have a partner, a level of cooperation exists. If three players are serious, and one player just wants to goof-off, then the whole match can derail. This is why it can be hard to get Teams play up and running.

Pros. Teams play is more balance than 1v1 or free-for-all. Like 1v1 play, there are only two sides attacking each other. But unlike 1v1 play, you have a partner to back you up in case you get into some tricky situations. At the same time, they have a player that’s trying to prevent you from messing with their partner. This dynamic revolves into many different situations that nurture different gameplay styles. In the most basic form, each player picks an opponent, and they square off like they would in a normal 1v1 match trying to stay out of each others way. If a partner needs help, someone may leave what they’re doing to lend a hand. If someone is killed, the other team’s players have an opportunity to double team the other player. If someone is too conspicuous when trying to finish someone off, they might be finished off. In other words, Teams has it all.

What’s also exciting about Teams is low tiers are welcome and quite competent. Low tier characters often have neat tricks and abilities that no other characters have. But in a 1v1 situation, their flaws are glaring. In teams, however, low tier characters have a partner to back them up. So if the partners know these flaws, they work together to fill in the “gaps.”

Now we come to the part on how to do teams correctly. Team attack <strong>must </strong>be turned on.

1) It prevents chaos and button mashing on the battle field. As fun as randomness is, control is where we derive the most satisfaction. Though we can’t control everything that happens in smash, a considerable amount of control must exist between the game and the player for the game to function at all. When Team attack is off, the players of each team can attack through each other without fear of hurting their partners. This is a viable option at first when the players are still getting acclimated to the game. Unfortunately, this mode lends itself too easily to ignoring one’s partner and smashing away. Teams is more than just two people who happen to both get 1st place in the end.

2) Melee is built around rules and through these rules the characters interact with everything within the gaming environment. By taking team attack off, you are essentially taking your partner out of the match. When this happens, there is a lopsided balance. When your attacks have no chance of hurting your partner, there’s only a 100% chance of hitting an enemy. With these kinds of odds, smashing wildly becomes a legitimate strategy.

3 ) There are much deeper levels of strategy that come from being able to interact with or hurt your partner. Kirby taking powers from his partner becomes an option, as well as using your partner as an attack by throwing him into enemies. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve save my partner from sure death, by jumping off the edge and hitting him back to the stage. When your partner is in between you and your enemies, you’ll think twice before smashing away. Now that your partner can be hit, there’s only a 2/3 chance of hitting an enemy. This is just enough to play the odds and attack your enemies, but also enough to consider not attacking to spare your partner’s life. With team attack on, Pulling off team strategies that simultaneously avoid one’s partner while only hurting the enemies requires a lot of skill.

Here are two matches with Team attack on. Just check out the team work towards the end of each match.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdbUWndqatM" title="Match 1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdbUWndqatM</a>

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kT0ozqSxrhA" title="Match 2" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kT0ozqSxrhA</a>

I encourage everyone to play with Team attack on. I’ve played both, and I have to say, I’ve reach the ceiling of strategy and fun when Team attack is turned off. With team attack on, there’s no ceiling. The sky is the limit… so they say.

J

Jammin

Hah I gotta work on teamwork.

Maybe this site can have some sort of email notification for people who subscribe. That would be cool. If there already is, where is it?

kirbykid

BRoomer
BRoomer
^^^
I’m not sure what you mean/want?
This site has an RSS feed. Just use something like google to organize them all.

R

RC Hammer

Wow… That’s interesting. I’ll have to try team attack on sometime. I normally just don’t use it because I am usually on a team with my four-year-old sister. There can be trouble when I smash her off the stage!

R

RC Hammer

I’ve noticed something interesting about the Super Smash Bros. series!

In the first game, the intro movie shows a room, where the Master Hand takes two lifeless figures of Nintendo characters, and “brings them to life for battle.” I think that the characters are really Nintendo plush-toys, that the Master Hand owns. But I actually think that the Master Hand is the kid that plays with the plush-toys! It kind of makes sense… The kid has the toys fight… and fight some more… and more… and eventually the kid imagines himself (his hand) fighting the toy.

In Melee, instead of plush-toys, the characters are plastic figurines… The kid imagines all of the battles!

You’re probably thinking I’m crazy, but if you remember back when you were 7, what did you do with all of your Nintendo toys? You had them beat each other up, of course! And how else could someone survive being shot, blown up, smashed with baseball bats and sledge hammes, lit on fire, and thrown into the sky, only to be consumed by a large energy beam!

I wonder what kind of toy the Brawl characters will be???

R

RC Hammer

OK… I know I am wrong… Who would want a fat ugly Wario toy…?

I was only drawing conclusions!

M

Master Makoku

Eh it made somewhat sense. I never thought to much about it. I just fought.

R

RC Hammer

Yeah… Why ponder when you can pound?

That was when I was not playing.

J

Jammin

OH I never figured out how to use RSS. Guess today’s the day.

Maybe instead of figurines, they’ll be action figures? The difference would be that they don’t have the bottom platform to hold them up.

C

Calypso

Speaking of team attacks…check out Smashbros.com…

Go Hammer Bro!

M

Master Makoku

Thats and extremely cool item. Its just like pokeballs except with different people. Its a shame hammer bro or samurai goro couldnt be playable but wat are you gonna do. This is pretty good cause now some of the characters we want can still be in it. Though Id rather have them playable.

G

Grey

While I don’t always agree with what you say, your posts offer a good take on the smash series. Reading them allows me to look at another viewpoint on the series.

I loved this post, showing the pros and why team battle is actually useful and fun to play. Something that I never really experienced because of my group preferring 1vs1 only. While my playing time has dramatically shrunk due to personal circumstances, everytime I read your posts I get the itch to play and try something new out.

Greycloak

R

RC Hammer

I think Goro should be a playable character…. Because he is one of the main character of F-Zero. I hope they don’t try to put all of the main characters from games in assist trophies. But Hammer Bro was a good idea.

I hope Diddy won’t be an assist trophy…

R

RC Hammer

I tried a team battle with team attack on… it’s pretty chaotic. I’m beating everybody up but when I realize I’m crushing my own team mate… *Boom**Boom*Take That**Take this*Woops**Sorry*Was that your face??*

Another good techinique is: When your opponent gets a hammer, grab his team mate! That always works…

C

CJ

Yeah diddy should be a playable character, i’m kind of hoping for Nightmare as a crossover character, i also hope they bring Roy back

C

CJ

One of the best team attack combos is to use samus and ness and when ness gets hurt he uses psi magnet and samus shoots him with her charge shot

M

Master Makoku

Theres a great team combo if your playing without team attack. If you can get only one opponent left than it works alot better. You need two human characters. They are samus and mewtwo. Have mewtwo charge his shadow ball. Then get samus behind him, close but not to close. Then when the opponent gets in front of mewtwo have samus use her grappling beam and grab the opponent. If done correctly the opponent should be dragged into mewtwos shadow ball charge and not able to move. Here he will constantly take damage untill 999%. To free him simply throw mewtwos shadow ball.

I know some of you might never use this since your all playing with team attack but its something to try.

C

CJ

That sounds good. I sometimes play with out Team Attack when I do I usually have My friend play with Samus or Link. Then when opponents get close I knock them away with Roy while my friend fires on them with projectile attacks. It’s fun and it works.

M

Master Makoku

Hey what if they had actual team attacks. Like two characters working together and doing one big attack. Like if you had mario and luigi on a team they’d do a bros attack from M&amp;L superstar saga or a completely different move. I doubt this will happen since it would be tough to have tag moves for certain characters. Then again maybe not. I dont know what do you guys think. Yay or nay?

C

CJ

Yay, definetely yay. That would be cool and characters like Marth and Roy could perform like a cyclone of blades. But of course with the new Final Smashes they might not add a powerful attack like that.

C

CJ

That could be a song to dream or to hope for devastating attacks of killing potential. Touching.

M

Master Makoku

It touches my heart even though its not made. I would make one but I have no musical potential.

C

CJ

Oh so sad because I sing in a band and play sax. You know who would make a good character, Shadow. Anyway I’ve got to go. My sister and mom are nagging me about something. Maybe once Brawl comes out we’ll meet each other in the tournament cucuit. I’ll probably be on tommorow so look for me see ya.

M

Master Makoku

Yeah c ya. Dang now im alone maybe I’ll talk to my self.

S

Sneaky

Everyone looks at Pichu and only thinks of a lighter version of Pikachu that hurts themself. However, if you look at the trophy, you will notice that Pichu is meant for item grabbing. That’s why the event match that unlocks Pichu has to do with item grabbing (otherwise, you get pwned by otherwise larger and stronger players). The match was for getting people used to Pichu.

M

Master Makoku

I dont see a point in having a character mainly for items when most people dont play with items.

S

Sneaky

Who are “most of these people”? Competitive one-on-one players? How about casual players that like dashing for items and ducking under danger because of them?

kirbykid

BRoomer
BRoomer
Sneaky:
I’ve been up and down Texas. I’ve been to Oklahoma. And I’ve been to big conventions and tournaments that pull in people from all over the nation and from other countries too.

Whether pro or casual, I’ve found that most people have done away with items.

Master Makoku:
That Mewtwo samus strategy works with Team attack ON too. Trust me. You’ll need an advanced technique, but when you use it, it strengthens the strategy by 5x.

I’ve thought of special team combo attacks, and combo final smashes. Of course it’s a sweet idea. Who knows what we’re going to get.

M

Master Makoku

Oh I didnt know it worked with team attack on my bad. Well Im glad someone tried it. So far everyone thinks a team final combo would be cool and y wouldnt it be. I feel like that was and obvious question.

C

CJ

Hello it would be cool but its just unlikely. Is anyone else looking forward to Pit he’s going to be like the only person I ever play with. That Bow is so much better than Link’s.

M

Master Makoku

Pit does look really cool. His bow is better than links it has no earthly limitations……well maybe it does but its not affected by gravity. Why do you keep saying hello at the start, I know the team thingie is unlikely but one can hope.

C

CJ

I like Hello okay what would you prefer me to say? It also looks like Pit can fly for a little while with his third jump. I wonder what his Final Smash is gonna be? I’d also like to see the Eggplant Wizard

S

Sneaky

Well I have to take Kirby’s word for it then. =/ Still, (to risk stating the obvious), I think they could have made it so that Pichu didn’t hurt themself. So Pichu can’t control their charges, that should have made it an excuse to release larger blasts.

And about Pit, I don’t think he flies constantly. I think it’s more like five jumps, like what Kirby and Jigglypuff would get. One of the videos showed him doing that trying to catch Meta Knight.

C

CJ

I think he has that as his normal jumps but his third jump seems to give him a little altitude and then fly their for a while. This might give him an advantage much like Jigglypuff has now.

R

RC Hammer

Ello… CJ, I play trombone and guitar. We should have are bands collide sometime.

It normally depends on what kind of battle I’m having…. to put items on or off… It’s really a matter of opinion really…

M

Master Makoku

Naw. I think pit will have multiple jumps like kirby and jigglypuff. Though I dont understand. In the dojo under pit it says special attacks. Then it says up:special move. Would this mean you have to push the b+up button? Or would you just have to push up? I know its probably just push up but i want some backup.

Top Bottom