• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Taunts: Are you THAT offended by them?

Pdiamond

Smash Apprentice
My friend has a problem with me taunting whenever I get a kill. Are others also completely annoyed and/or angry at people that taunt? It has come so far that he won't even fight me unless I don't taunt(which is hard to do when your used to it) and if I do taunt(on accident of course) he quits the game and refuses to fight me. So I'm asking: Are others annoyed or even angry at people that taunt?

Btw please don't insult my friend for being annoyed at my taunting. He is after all one of my best friends and I enjoy having matches with him. I only made this thread to hear others opinions on taunting.

Reinhart_x

Smash Apprentice
Actually I enjoy when people taunt me when I die, usually I can get to them before they are safe and kill them or at least do some free damage! I don't taunt that often unless someone taunts me and then I destroy them. It just makes you vulnerable. :psycho:

Recoil

Smash Journeyman
My friend has a problem with me taunting whenever I get a kill. Are others also completely annoyed and/or angry at people that taunt? It has come so far that he won't even fight me unless I don't taunt(which is hard to do when your used to it) and if I do taunt(on accident of course) he quits the game and refuses to fight me.
Crouch taunt then :laugh:

kr3wman

Smash Master
My friend has a problem with me taunting whenever I get a kill. Are others also completely annoyed and/or angry at people that taunt? It has come so far that he won't even fight me unless I don't taunt(which is hard to do when your used to it) and if I do taunt(on accident of course) he quits the game and refuses to fight me.
Tell your friend that it's just a game and that HE CAN TOO taunt after he kills someone.

SothE700k

Smash Lord
He gets so worked up about a frikin taunt? Wow, this is worse than people crying about the c-stick...

If my friends taunt after getting a kill, I say they deserve it. But if they'll stay back from the stage and keep taunting, they're asking for an embarrassing death.

Pdiamond

Smash Apprentice
Tell your friend that it's just a game and that HE CAN TOO taunt after he kills someone.
I've told him that many times before but I didn't make this thread for opinions on how to stop his hate of taunting, I made this thread to hear other smashers preferences on taunting.

FredTHAreD

Smash Cadet
Theres actually a thread like this in the Online Discussion i think.

Most people there said taunting doesn't bother them. Online is a bit worse, when you can add in phrases(often time stupid ones like "pwned" and "u sux") that they blast every chance they get.

Taunting doesn't bother me too much though. If anything, it makes me want to get even with 'em.

On a side note, does your friend suck? People who aren't good at a game don't like to be kicked when they're down, and if thats the case, I don't blame your friend. If it isn't he needs to grow up. XD

Pdiamond

Smash Apprentice
Theres actually a thread like this in the Online Discussion i think.

Most people there said taunting doesn't bother them. Online is a bit worse, when you can add in phrases(often time stupid ones like "pwned" and "u sux") that they blast every chance they get.

Taunting doesn't bother me too much though. If anything, it makes me want to get even with 'em.

On a side note, does your friend suck? People who aren't good at a game don't like to be kicked when they're down, and if thats the case, I don't blame your friend. If it isn't he needs to grow up. XD
He doesn't suck, he has a Smashboards account but I won't give his Username. I just find it strange that he gets so angry at me for taunting.

Fire!

Smash Champion
NNID
Fire149
3DS FC
2809-9924-8928
I'm not offended by a taunt. Maybe on Wi-fi with the text might irritate me but offline,no.

MasterWarlord

Smash Champion
Not wasting countless hours on a 10 man community
I don't find it offensive unless you're playing online and you stick offensive messages onto the taunts.

I'm not particularly fond of an ex friend who always says "YOU NEED PRACTICE!" and "WOW. . .U SUCK ****" and makes up cheap excuses when he loses, which is more often then not.

Plain old taunting is just fine, but in online matches I substitute crouch spamming for it. My taunts have messages meant for moments in battle, not really for after a kill.

And yes online is all I can really play with other people.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
Taunt's are so much fun to do, but message taunts can be aggravating to me though. =/

Xihyon

Smash Cadet
I taunt while fighting them. Mind games and all. What fun is a taunt when there is a almost no chance that you will get hit?

rm88

Smash Ace
NNID
Rm88Go
3DS FC
5241-1973-5614
I don't mind when people taunt. I taunt a lot myself... Peach's side taunt and Kirby's down taunt are my favorites.

TKD+ITA+Mar=

Smash Ace
MetaMindgame spam him by telling him that when you don't do anything, you're taunting him.

That could be interesting.

PaintedGhost

Smash Journeyman
Taunting is a mindgame itself. It's supposed anger the opponents and bait them into doing somethin stupid. I sometimes get mad if someone sonic or GW taunts me :p. Other than that im relatively fine.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
Tell him hes a whiny ***** and to go cry in the corner. If he refuses o play you, he sucks and is scared of losing to you.

It doesn't matter if its true, but that should be enough for him to stop *****ing.

P=

blayde_axel

Smash Master
No, taunting doesn't really bother me. As much as I love the game, I can't get too miffed at taunting, because it's just fun. Hell, I taunt after every kill too! lol.

Smash Saej

Smash Cadet
I think it is important to taunt. I only use it after I pull something off that is crazy, or relatively hard to do. No big deal though.

Brinzy

Godfather of the Crimean Mafia
NNID
Brinzy
I'm not necessarily offended by them, but I do think they're pretty stupid and become stale after a week of seeing them, if that. I really only taunt to send messages online, and that said, I only send non-"BRB" ones when everyone is just taunting at ridiculous moments. Other than that, I don't really do it.

That said, normal taunting doesn't really bother me, and that said, I'm a bit offended by taunts that people do to say that I suck or whatever. The few people I play online that can wreck my **** consistently don't taunt, and I'm glad they don't rub salt into the wound.

Xihyon

Smash Cadet
I think it is important to taunt. I only use it after I pull something off that is crazy, or relatively hard to do. No big deal though.
Then there is the question "how crazy". Cause then it could lead to multiple taunts.

And, its a known fact that if you successfully edge guard with snakes taunt, you win the match.

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
It's called a TAUNT for a reason :3

He doesn't suck, he has a Smashboards account but I won't give his Username. I just find it strange that he gets so angry at me for taunting.
having a smashboards account does not make a bad player good lol

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
No, I don't get offended by someone taunting me. Most of the taunts are funny (especially if they're from Captain Falcon), so as long my opponent doesn't taunt spam to annoy me, it's all okay. :3

The Dinkoman

Smash Lord
Why should anyone hate taunts?

When they do a taunt you have a free chance to send them flying :D

Mardyke

Smash Journeyman
The taunts aren't meant to be insulting, just a playful little joke. To be offended by them means that you lost your cool.

I often taunt when on my own or playing with a friend, after scoring a K.O., and time it so that I'm usually ready to resume the fight afterwards. In a more serious fight when I feel I need every edge I can get, I sometimes refrain from taunting in favour of getting a better position to go the next round with. if the other person doesn't like it, I usually back off from taunting in consideration.

Top Bottom