• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Taunt Parties

EmperorB-rad2kj

Smash Apprentice
I agree the better players come out at night because all the bad kids hsve hit their bed time so more room for the actual players to come out. wiimote+nunchuck? I guess it isnt bad but I cant get used to it. Not to mention I use dacus with snake and so on so I cant use it.

FIREL

Smash Ace
I agree the better players come out at night because all the bad kids hsve hit their bed time so more room for the actual players to come out. wiimote+nunchuck? I guess it isnt bad but I cant get used to it. Not to mention I use dacus with snake and so on so I cant use it.
Agree, the only problem with the wiichuk is dacus...
Though i don't use anyone that need dacus.
It is one of those things that are nice to know.

With the right input, it could be possible.

Dyclone

Smash Ace
ah, i just had the worst match in tb i've ever had since i did wifi in brawl.
I just faced a team that kept trapping me in the fan and i had the inability to sdi out of it and when both me and my partner were trapped, the other player came up to us with a bat and killed us both. It's things like this that make me rethink going on TB/BB

Takumi

Smash Cadet
I've always wondered what the point of ledgehogging repeatedly in Super Sudden Death, trying to avoid bombs, when you are in a Taunt Party with four taunters... especially if some people are already dead. I personally think it's more fun to dodge bombs with the risk of dying but... ehh.

Dyclone

Smash Ace
i hate when people do that. they get so boring to watch quickly. They usually do that if they want to win it, i'm guessing...

:downs:

Smash Apprentice
I've noticed in taunt parties where they all SD, one might be a douchebag and pretend to SD, then start planking if anyone hasn't already SD'd. That's a good sign that he'll become a crasher later on, so I take it as an opportunity to start crashing. Sometimes the taunters join up with me, but most of the time they end up against me.

Don't you hate it when taunters play follow the leader? Join a game, one guy attacks you and the other two bail to the side of the stage. Then, if you decide to retaliate, they join in and decide YOU'RE the bad guy and team up with the other one. Wtf? I've had games where I'm minding my own business and one player would keep coming over and attacking me, two games later I decide to fight back and suddenly I'm the bad guy for defending myself. The worst thing is, the other two offered to be 'friends' in the first game, and I accepted, but they side with the other guy when I finally start fighting back.

NightDragon

Smash Cadet
I've noticed in taunt parties where they all SD, one might be a douchebag and pretend to SD, then start planking if anyone hasn't already SD'd. That's a good sign that he'll become a crasher later on, so I take it as an opportunity to start crashing. Sometimes the taunters join up with me, but most of the time they end up against me.

Don't you hate it when taunters play follow the leader? Join a game, one guy attacks you and the other two bail to the side of the stage. Then, if you decide to retaliate, they join in and decide YOU'RE the bad guy and team up with the other one. Wtf? I've had games where I'm minding my own business and one player would keep coming over and attacking me, two games later I decide to fight back and suddenly I'm the bad guy for defending myself. The worst thing is, the other two offered to be 'friends' in the first game, and I accepted, but they side with the other guy when I finally start fighting back.
I do this to test them, if they fail.. I go giga/wario-man on them. NO MERCY!

Takumi

Smash Cadet
I've found a manipulative player like that. He would attack a taunt partier and make it seem like the taunt partier was the crasher. When one person would leave and another person would enter... the pretend taunt partier would try to look innocent, hiding behind the new player... thus... the real taunt partier would be mistaken as the crasher again.

I kinda just minded my own business the whole time. I seem to be good at staying neutral.
I'm as much worth as a punching bag.

Dyclone

Smash Ace
i've seen that happen today though i knew what was going on, i just didn't want to waste my time with that player. i guess the zelda/pit/peach player felt the same way.

Wikki_Wikki

Smash Rookie
Ugh I hate taunt parties Like I mean brawl online sucks as does brawl, But its always fun do kill an entire taunt party.

PersonallyIPreferDair

Smash Apprentice
I usually pick falco or diddy and just try to get people away from me to avoid any conflict. This usually ends up sparking a conflict though >.>

I got into one yesterday where there was a "good" zelda. I usually detest zelda players because her moves have too much range and power. I was diddy, and they were attacking someone, so I threw a banana to make them stop. Unfortunately someone just moved a blast box where the banana was going to land, and it exploded, killing zelda...

For 10 straight matches the zelda chased me...

The worst part is that another zelda joined, and the zelda attacking tried to make me look like a bad guy. The second zelda was also equal in "skill" to the other zelda. I decided to just choose metaknight on the temple and tornado myself away from them.

SupaSairentoZ7℠

Smash Hero
You have to love it how another player joins and the one that targets you every game makes the new player assume your a crasher or problem and they join up with the one who targets you every game. When I join and a player(s) does that I just sit out and don't help either sides. Unless one of the 3 attacks me with intent of trying to KO me.

Sephy95

Smash Lord
I agree SZ7. I'm being attacked and a new player joins in to try attackin' thinkin' I'm a crasher when obviously the person who's attackin' me is the crasher. Although I still have yet to re-encounter a TP. :)

Sephy95

Smash Lord
The Temple stage might get a little annoying, since its THE place for taunt partyists, but its great if you wanna drag the fight on longer.

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
Camp in the ventricle. Tech everything. Profitable.

SuperMetroid44

Smash Lord
I'm sort of neutral about Temple. It's a great stage to get to know people (as in other TPers) and a better stage if you're doing 2 vs 2 and don't want to hurt your "taunt party" friend. But otherwise, it's annoying when picked over and over and over...

Also, I don't like teaming on people unless they truly deserve it and I actually know who the crasher is. I also hate when people act like slaves to another person, like this person kept trying to fight me, and they fought in his side. I know they were slaves since on SD, he would look at them, and then they all suicided. I was pissed. :p

Sephy95

Smash Lord
That slave thing is real lame. They suck so the look for a good player to side with. Whoever that player fights, they'll make sure their master wins.....

Sephy95

Smash Lord
I was in sort of taunt party just minutes ago with a Pit/white Peach, dark Falco, and Mario/Kirby/and someone else I think. I was green Marth mostly and killed everyone on FD then left. I'm wondering if the white Peach was you SZ7 cuz we were in basic brawl at the same time.......

TheZizz

Smash Journeyman
You're only setting yourselves up for punishment by maintaining these unnecessary social restrictions. All it takes is one decisive betrayal for your house of cards to come crumbling down while you curse the empty space I once occupied.

SupaSairentoZ7℠

Smash Hero
I was in sort of taunt party just minutes ago with a Pit/white Peach, dark Falco, and Mario/Kirby/and someone else I think. I was green Marth mostly and killed everyone on FD then left. I'm wondering if the white Peach was you SZ7 cuz we were in basic brawl at the same time.......
I will keep a look out for your characters.

:phone:

David Wonn

Smash Ace
Well stated!

You're only setting yourselves up for punishment by maintaining these unnecessary social restrictions. All it takes is one decisive betrayal for your house of cards to come crumbling down while you curse the empty space I once occupied.
I couldn't agree more. What's even funnier is that some taunters won't even notice until a few rounds later.

Finny

Smash Apprentice
You should seriously post more. You're great at bringing the madness of Basic Brawl into perspective. I used to be a taunt partier, originally for being able to team with someone in my nascent days. Then, I matured some and became more of a pacifist. I was always the last person to start fighting, and the one hacking and goofing off to the side, while my "friends" relentlessly teamed and taunted some poor soul who probably didn't even know what was going on, and just wanted some nice matches. I was what a taunt partier should be, basically. Nowadays, I've lost hope for most of BB. Good taunters are so rare now it's not worth the time spent trying to find them, and when you finally do manage to complete this task, you will probably be D/C'ed on the practice stage before you even have time to interact in the slightest. Which brings me to this truth, that no one would like to admit, but it is the elephant in the room:

There are no rules in Brawl Wifi With Anyone. You really can do whatever you want. Who cares about social mores or norms, when no one will know who you are. If I am to betray a TP in sudden death, taunt them as many times as I can before the star KO finishes, make them wait the full minute in the practice room, and subsequently disconnect them, who will stop me?

And I'm seeing a LOT more BB-goers pick up on this. It's much more common now to see the gullibility of a taunt party taken advantage of by someone who has started thinking like this. Some argue for being "honorable" or "polite" in BB because that's how any decent person obviously should behave with people they don't know, but to that I say this:

BB is anarchy. It's survival of the fittest. And the smartest.

EDIT: And if you haven't, you should read The Stranger by Albert Camus. It strangely reminded me of taunt partiers who will condemn someone for not following their hidden set of BB societal rules.

FIREL

Smash Ace
You should seriously post more. You're great at bringing the madness of Basic Brawl into perspective. I used to be a taunt partier, originally for being able to team with someone in my nascent days. Then, I matured some and became more of a pacifist.
Same......

Sephy95

Smash Lord
You should seriously post more. You're great at bringing the madness of Basic Brawl into perspective. I used to be a taunt partier, originally for being able to team with someone in my nascent days. Then, I matured some and became more of a pacifist. I was always the last person to start fighting, and the one hacking and goofing off to the side, while my "friends" relentlessly teamed and taunted some poor soul who probably didn't even know what was going on, and just wanted some nice matches. I was what a taunt partier should be, basically. Nowadays, I've lost hope for most of BB. Good taunters are so rare now it's not worth the time spent trying to find them, and when you finally do manage to complete this task, you will probably be D/C'ed on the practice stage before you even have time to interact in the slightest. Which brings me to this truth, that no one would like to admit, but it is the elephant in the room:

There are no rules in Brawl Wifi With Anyone. You really can do whatever you want. Who cares about social mores or norms, when no one will know who you are. If I am to betray a TP in sudden death, taunt them as many times as I can before the star KO finishes, make them wait the full minute in the practice room, and subsequently disconnect them, who will stop me?

And I'm seeing a LOT more BB-goers pick up on this. It's much more common now to see the gullibility of a taunt party taken advantage of by someone who has started thinking like this. Some argue for being "honorable" or "polite" in BB because that's how any decent person obviously should behave with people they don't know, but to that I say this:

EDIT: And if you haven't, you should read The Stranger by Albert Camus. It strangely reminded me of taunt partiers who will condemn someone for not following their hidden set of BB societal rules.
I dont really care how badly they'll punish you for betraying them. I betrayed a TP last night cuz I was bored and wanted to try it out. I sure as hell didn't stick around afterwards. Mostly cuz it was past 2am and I was tired.

TheZizz

Smash Journeyman

Psychology always fascinated me, but the meaning behind this particular ritual is pretty transparent. I'll break it down:

1. The whole premise behind Basic Brawl is it gives you a mind**** with its crazy randomness (as indicated by the icon). You're almost never in control of any given moment and you always have somewhere you need to be. However, if you're a control freak this is not good times, and you'll do whatever it takes to water down the experience to a manageable level. So, taunt parties symbolize man's insecurity with the chaotic nature of his universe.

2. The suicides in Sudden Death symbolize self-hatred and the desire to excel at something, ANYTHING, even if that something is losing.

3. You'll find more taunting and more creative expression in a typical brawl than in any taunt party, especially if :falcon: has anything to do with it. It could be that the energy of the fight brings out the best in players, but in any case it's not hard to top someone that spams DACUS's in the corner and methodically taunts each KO like a mindless machine.

4. Did you ever play a board game in elementary school with the silent angry kid who took it way too seriously, and would pursue you with a vengeance all game? That is the real-life counterpart. Guess how long that attitude would last in the living room.

5. You'll notice that their desire to win, concern for the score, and overall behavior is entirely contingent upon your actions. So in a ****ed up way, they're actually looking to you for guidance and purpose.

Basic Brawl might not have rules but the basic rules of human interaction are ever-present (the ones that facilitated cities, factories, and Smash Bros.), doling out karmic reward and punishment to suit each individual. I advise the 99th percentile of faux-taunters reading this to learn respect now while you still have the chance.

EDIT: I can always count on book recommendations to be worth my time. I'll keep it on the back burner.

SuperMetroid44

Smash Lord
Psychology always fascinated me, but the meaning behind this particular ritual is pretty transparent. I'll break it down:

1. The whole premise behind Basic Brawl is it gives you a mind**** with its crazy randomness (as indicated by the icon). You're almost never in control of any given moment and you always have somewhere you need to be. However, if you're a control freak this is not good times, and you'll do whatever it takes to water down the experience to a manageable level. So, taunt parties symbolize man's insecurity with the chaotic nature of his universe.

2. The suicides in Sudden Death symbolize self-hatred and the desire to excel at something, ANYTHING, even if that something is losing.
"Taunt Parties symbolize man's insecurity with the chaotic nature of his universe" and "The suicides in Sudden Death symbolize self-hatred and the desire to excel at something, ANYTHING, even if that something is losing."

lolwut. I didn't even understand this. :p Could you elaborate more?

Top Bottom