• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tap Jump?

PsychoNess

Smash Cadet
I want to see if this stuff is really helpful. Turning tap jump off leads to aireal shuffle? Would this help me a lot? I use Ness(planing to turn tap jump off) Lucas Link( planing to turn tap jump off) and Currently looking for a 3rd main. Would tap jump + R to attack help my Ats or anything.
If I might need tap jump this might take a while for me to get used to.

xoxokev

Smash Lord
i like tap jump off because sometimes i use my second jump on accident, and it also helps with performing utilts

<3 utilt

Uffe

Smash Hero
I had Tap Jump off and C-stick set to special. But things didn't seem right and it bothered me. I have OCD in case you're wondering. So I put everything to default. Plus, I missed my Hyphen Smashes, which I never do anymore. xoxokev has a point, though. I'm not sure if it's the same for Brawl, but whenever I play Melee, my u-tilts turn into u-smashes.

1337-Zero

Smash Ace
i like tap jump off because sometimes i use my second jump on accident, and it also helps with performing utilts

<3 utilt
I second this.

Tap jump off forever, I can't live without my U-tilt:bee:.
However, I have been messing around with Shake Smash, but you probably use the GCC anyways PsychoNess.

Eagleye893

Smash Champion
NNID
isJolTz
3DS FC
1821-9332-2146
Off... If you are good with your fingers you don't need to worry about many things at all... Jump canceling usmash with teh jump button is difficult at first but all you need to do is slide your thumb from x to a as you press up on the control stick. I can easily and consistently reverse hyphen (jump canceled) usmash whenever I want, but lately I've felt less need for it.

Also utilt and second jump are saved.

PMKNG

Smash Ace
NNID
GalickGon
i dont think so, i play with it on now, simply cause my secondarys are marth and or dk, and they bennefit from tap jump being on, for out of shield upb's
however for my ness game it doesnt really change much. I got used to using utilts with it on now so i don't mess up anymore

xoxokev

Smash Lord
yeah, i say for beginners, tap jump off is useful, but once you get more control and you discipline your left thumb, you can play with tap jump on :) hope that was helpful

K.K_Slider

Smash Cadet
Tap jump = evil up tilt/up air eater from the pits of hades therefore i do not use tap jump.

As for hyphen smashes and the like i just make the left trigger button a jump and use that less stress on the right hand lol.

Uffe

Smash Hero
Most importantly. Would tap jump benefit me if I use pit? That sounds like the hardest part.
Really quick, try to avoid double posting. Also, I don't think Tap Jump is necessary for Pit. If you're going to Arrow Loop, then have it off. It makes it a lot more simple to Arrow Loop without it on.

lmntolp

Smash Apprentice
As long as you don't push the control stick all the way up, there shouldn't be a problem with utilts or saving double jump using tap jump. It just takes a bunch of practice to switch between on/off. I started with tap jump on and haven't gotten used to having it off.

Since I use a nunchuck I sorta have a c-stick and a b-stick (B+dpad direction+ control stick) so I sometimes use dpad up for non-rising uair. I still keep a jump button around for special tricks like pk jump.

Thunderbolt333

Smash Apprentice
As long as you don't push the control stick all the way up, there shouldn't be a problem with utilts or saving double jump using tap jump. It just takes a bunch of practice to switch between on/off. I started with tap jump on and haven't gotten used to having it off.

Since I use a nunchuck I sorta have a c-stick and a b-stick (B+dpad direction+ control stick) so I sometimes use dpad up for non-rising uair. I still keep a jump button around for special tricks like pk jump.
Wow you use the nunchuck :X I can't live w/o my GCC

100th post woot

StarLight

Smash Apprentice
Really quick, try to avoid double posting. Also, I don't think Tap Jump is necessary for Pit. If you're going to Arrow Loop, then have it off. It makes it a lot more simple to Arrow Loop without it on.
Yeah, it's way easier to perform the up-b refresh(Hell if I remember the ATs name) with tap jump off as well. Pit in general should probably be played without it.

As to Ness...Mmm, I wouldn't call it a requirement, but I have to agree with kev and a couple others: Up tilt is amazing.

Top Bottom