• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tap Jump

∫unk

Smash Master
I hope you guys have an alternative to up b'ng out of shield like Vietgeek. That is too good to pass up. Utilting isn't exactly hard with tap jump on either, its just like melee.
Also, Uptilt is more situational than Dolphin Slash out of the shield in most match-ups.
Well at least for me.
This seems to be a common misconception, so I thought I'd just put the truth out.

You can up b out of shield with tap jump off.

You just hit jump out of shield then up b immediately after.

This is pretty much what you're doing with tap jump off, but you don't need to hit as many buttons.

The pros of leaving tap jump off is your u-airs and u-tilts will do what they are supposed to do. Sometimes in a heated moment you accidently hit the tilt too hard. I could do most of the technical things in Melee and I still would accidently jump once in a while. Although not often enough to be a problem, it still is annoying.

The pros of leaving tap jump on are you don't have to press as many buttons to dolphin slash out of the shield. You literally just hit up b. With tap jump off you have to hit shield, then immediately jump up b.

With tap jump on you also get momentum when you land from a shieldbreaker when you're recovering, but depending on the opponent that's may be a good or bad thing.

In the end it's just personal preference. You aren't limited going either way.

Anth0ny

Smash Master
That's how I upB out of shield and I don't really have a problem with it. What you said regarding the upairs and uptilts go for me as well, and that's why I have tap jump off.

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
thank you for clering this up, Junk. i already knew this, but many other people didn't and kept trying to convince other peopl that you cant do this. the uair utilt thing is way easier without tap jump.

Kizzu-kun

Smash Journeyman
Well just saying, we (me and Steel) didn't said that its impossible to without the Tap Jump, but more versatile at least for us. xD~

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Jumping from your shield with the button seems like it would be a few frames slower then just up b out of shield.

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer
Like I said in the quote I never said you couldn't do it, but I still feel like the invincibility frames won't kick in as fast if you do it like this. I could be wrong, though.

AcidJazz

Smash Apprentice
I'm sure if you used the z (or other trigger maybe) button for jump you could probably train yourself to do it just as fast.

There is a difference between tap jump on and off with utilt though. I believe that when you jump with tap jump on, it has more frames that are registered as a jump than the button press. This makes utilts slower to come out and a higher chance of up smashing. At least that's what I've noticed and I think i heard that somewhere. I upsmash all the time with tap jump on.

I think its best to leave it off and figure out another way to do it just as fast.

OmegaXF

Smash Ace
I never really tried to complicate it like that. That was one of the first things I noticed with Tap jump off. But because of the hitstun of certain attacks when your guarding(MK tornado, Ike's F-smash,or n e multiple hit moves) I would just drop the shield and upb straight afterwards.

VietGeek

Smash Hero
Er... could someone explain what "Tap Jump" is? :(
It's on the default controller settings of the Gamecube controller and it's when you press up on the direction pad to jump. I believe the Nunchuk combo and Classic Controller also have a similar feature and allows you to switch it on and off.

Top Bottom