• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Talking about Brawl+

Status
Not open for further replies.

xGrenadier

Smash Rookie
Before I start, I want to say that I am not trying to troll here, and that I just want to ask a couple of questions.

I am not a tournament-style player. I am very aware of what Brawl+ entails and have no negative sentiments about people wanting to play a slightly different version of a game in order to fit their style of play. More power to you guys, but I'm not going to use it.

However, I've come across topics across several boards that are insinuating that Brawl+ is superior to original Brawl. A few years ago, this idea that the tournament style of play is better turned me off of playing Melee competitively (granted I was younger and less mature).

Hearing that Brawl+ kind of originated here, I decided to come to the source.

So it begs the question(s):

Do you guys really think that Brawl+ is better than the original Brawl, or have I misunderstood?

Really, it just comes down to the word "better". I really didn't have a problem when I was seeing "Brawl+ will be better suited to the tournament playstyle" or even "better by tournament standards". The way I see "better" being used recently, however, seems like people who play regular Brawl will be considered to be playing an inferior game. I haven't read anything like that around here (I'm posting this just after creating my account), but I wanted to query the greatest number of people as possible on this topic, so I picked the largest board.

Thanks for reading.

kupo15

Smash Hero
I believe Brawl+ will be more balanced, better risk vs reward, better punishment, which means a better game.

Cinder

Smash Master
It's more a matter of opinion...I mean, to a non-professional player, it won't really matter since the content is unaffected...but a competitive player is more likely to think of Brawl+ as being an improvement due to more Melee-esque physics...the only reason it's being called Brawl+ is because it has additional material (or at least SOME people may think of it that way)...

That's my two cents...

MuBa

Smash Lord
We love the characters and stages of Brawl but feel like the physics of the game is below average for competition. We've tried to find a good advanced technique that will help the metagame but there was no luck.

So we've found a very easy, flexible, effective, highly debated, and time consuming way to fix Brawl: by hacking.

AquaTech

We hit the potjack
In Brawl, people were looking for Melee gameplay, with some minor tweaks, plus a bunch of new characters.

Although the new characters were enticing, the gameplay has been scaled back so drastically that some people are willing to hack the game to fufill their expectations of what Brawl should be.

xGrenadier

Smash Rookie
Okay, that's all I really wanted to know.

Regarded by tourney players as better for the tourney playstyle. Correct?

rocker1356

Smash Cadet
I think Brawl is way better than any other Smash Bros. game. It has some great characters, better graphics, and wi-fi which lets you play other people.

IWuvGeno

Smash Apprentice
strange that a single sentence reply could contradict itself
I changed the wording to "playable" in the original post in hopes that your great mind can receive my **two** sentences. It is also strange that Brawl+ doesn't exist in a downloadable format. Nor are all the hacks discovered necessary for this project. Nor has anyone in particular even decided to undertake it.

And yet, you have judged it in the future.

pockyD

Smash Legend
what?

he asks: [Hacked brawl is] Regarded by tourney players as better for the tourney playstyle. Correct?

me: no

Now, which of us is trying to make a judgment on something that doesn't exist yet, and which of us is saying that judgment is invalid?

i'll consider it a minor miracle if you're out of elementary school with reading comprehension like that

IWuvGeno

Smash Apprentice
what?

he asks: [Hacked brawl is] Regarded by tourney players as better for the tourney playstyle. Correct?

me: no

Now, which of us is trying to make a judgment on something that doesn't exist yet, and which of us is saying that judgment is invalid?

i'll consider it a minor miracle if you're out of elementary school with reading comprehension like that
Actually Brawl+ is what he's asking about. Brawl+ is a potential project to balance Brawl in such a way that it conforms to competitive player's original expectations of the game.

As such, it hasn't been made yet. Therefore no comparisons can be made on it as of right now. Only your keen predictions, which you say as if it already exists.

pockyD

Smash Legend
Actually Brawl+ is what he's asking about. Brawl+ is a potential project to balance Brawl in such a way that it conforms to competitive player's original expectations of the game.

As such, it hasn't been made yet. Therefore no factual statements can be made on it as of right now. Only your keen predictions, which you say as if it already exists.
please show me: what was my "prediction"?

let's check my post

it's more similar to melee... that's all
"Brawl+" or whatever stupid name people are calling it is almost explicitly an effort to address brawl's perceived shortcomings by making it more like melee in those areas. are you going to argue against this?

after that, beauty is in the eye of the beholder
Sorry if for some reason this phrase is over your head, but if you think it's any kind of definitive statement, then you should really look up what it means before answering

Denzi

Smash Master
I think it's a bad idea because it scares away those who never played/had no Melee skill.
It basically limits all possible high level competitors to old Melee players because it adds a depth that is not so easily understood/grasped/mastered by those who haven't experienced it before.

Super_Sonic8677

Smash Lord
It's more a matter of opinion...I mean, to a non-professional player, it won't really matter since the content is unaffected...but a competitive player is more likely to think of Brawl+ as being an improvement due to more Melee-esque physics...the only reason it's being called Brawl+ is because it has additional material (or at least SOME people may think of it that way)...

That's my two cents...
Starting to wish you hadn't ruined your Brawl disc? XD

@ Denzi,Brawl + will never replace Brawl. They will co-exist,and that's even if this gets very far off the ground.

Cinder

Smash Master
Starting to wish you hadn't ruined your Brawl disc? XD
I can just buy Glenn's copy off of 'im...but I will admit, it IS rather inconvenient <__<

@ Denzi,Brawl + will never replace Brawl. They will co-exist,and that's even if this gets very far off the ground.
And it may very well, at least by a portion of optimistic Melee players and Brawlers looking to experiment...but we need a HITSTUN CODE first D: *won't shut up about the hitstun code until they get one*

Destati

Smash Cadet
The question is, who claims that "Brawl+" has better mechanics? Is sliding across the floor being invulnerable to damage real? There are people who think Melee 2.0 does not allow better mechanics in Brawl. I'm for either Melee 2.0 or Brawlee, as they both get the same point across. but Brawl is Brawl and Melee is Melee. They are two seperate games and to claim that a Melee attachment to Brawl somehow improves the game seems ridiculous. Its an adjustment, a modification. Not an improvement.

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
Oh good lord. Talk about this in an existing thread. What don't people get about wanting to keep the GBD from being filled to the brim about the same topics?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom