• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

'Tales of' and Smash Bros players?

CraigUK37

Underscore HERO
NNID
CraigUK37
So when I joined these forums I didn't realise I would make so many friends, I have a lot of the UK Smash players added on my msn and we talk quite a lot. Something I have come to discover since then is that pretty much all of them (like 9/10) Have played AND loved Tales of Symphonia.

This is strange to me because I can never usualy find anyone to talk to it about with, yet everyone ive spoken to seems to have played it from here? I do a game development course at my college, everyone on the course is an avid gamer yet only one of them has ever played or even heard of tales of games.

So I ask you this, could there be a link which draws tales of players to smash and/or vice versa, is it a coinsidece?

Im would put a poll on if i knew how. I think a lot of you would be supprised by the results, i would be if it turns out you all hate the game and this post has been pointless...

Flayl

Smash Hero
I loved the idea of a real time RPG combat system but I hated most of the characters

A New Challenger

Smash Apprentice
Smash has more crossover (RPG, puzzle, casual) gamers because it's not a traditional fighter. Traditional fighter players and traditional RPG players are not the most interconnected set, otherwise. Simple.

Black Magician

Smash Apprentice
I love both games, but find it irritating that Knights of Ratattosk (the upcoming sequel to Symphonia) uses Zelos rather than the obviously far superior Kratos.
Many of the Symphonia characters would also work well in Smash Bros, although Lloyd is probably still good in Soul Calibur Legends.

slartibartfast42

Smash Lord
I actually liked ToS less because I started playing it around the same time I got into advanced techs and competitive play. I went from insane combos and speed in smash then went to ToS and was like "this is sooo slow/laggy", lol.

EDIT: I really didn't like SC: Legends, but Lloyd was one of my favorites...

Wiwiweb

Smash Journeyman
I HATE Tales of Symphonia. Naïve ambiance and real time combat system FTL.

Astral~Esper

Smash Rookie
Lloyd could have been a great Swordsman in Brawl, and he has lots of techs like Demon Fang and Tempest, that could actually fit into the game's controls.

Eh, I like that Zelos is in Dawn of A New World, because that means he doesn't die in Tales of Symphonia, and who could live on without his laughter-inducing charm?

CraigUK37

Underscore HERO
NNID
CraigUK37
Zelos survives if you play the game normaly and dont pick kratos to come with you. Kratos on the other hand floats away with cruix and never comes back :p

He does the voice acting for the opening sequence in ToS2 though.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
It's probably because the style of fighting is similar in both. Both are 2D real time fighting systems and not to mention that their movesets can easily be Smashified without any major changes. I mean, you can assign Tempest to Lloyd's Up B in both ToS and Smash and it would feel at home.

frankisvital

Smash Journeyman
The link you're talking about is the Gamecube, my friend. Most ToS players played the GC version, and if you've got a GC, chances are you've got Melee. S'pretty simple.

ToS is an excellent game.

CraigUK37

Underscore HERO
NNID
CraigUK37
Ahh but thats not really the case is it, as this isnt the Tales of forums, this is the smash forums so one we expect everyone on here to have played smash bros. But not Symphonia as to be honest it wasnt a very well advertised. Thus why a lot of people have never heard of it

Tiamat475

Smash Journeyman
I have loved RPG games since Final Fantasy 9 when I really started playing other RPG games. Symphonia was a great game, I've replayed it multiple times. Probably the ONLY best RPG game on the gamecube, despite the extra content they didn't include in the U.S. version. D:

Astral~Esper

Smash Rookie
I've seen a few sites confirming various release dates, but, they seem to come out of speculation. So, no, I haven't any confirmation on its release date. I can't wait for it to be released though, as it'll keep me busy for a month or two.

CraigUK37

Underscore HERO
NNID
CraigUK37
UK gamers looking for tales of games should note that only three games have every been taken to the UK, a GBA one, a gamecube one and a PSP one. They arent bothered much about us i dont think we give them much sales

VietGeek

Smash Hero
UK gamers looking for tales of games should note that only three games have every been taken to the UK, a GBA one, a gamecube one and a PSP one. They arent bothered much about us i dont think we give them much sales
I believe that Tales of Symphonia spin-off will also release in Europe, but I'm not quite sure (Nintendo has been known to be rather generous though).

Has anyone confirmed whether or not Tales of Innocence is coming to US/UK yet?
I don't think it's going to be out for a while, if at all. The localization team is likely working on the Symphonia spin-off, then they'll be working on translating Vesperia soon after, so it's unlikely.

I love both games, but find it irritating that Knights of Ratattosk (the upcoming sequel to Symphonia) uses Zelos rather than the obviously far superior Kratos.
Many of the Symphonia characters would also work well in Smash Bros, although Lloyd is probably still good in Soul Calibur Legends.
I'm pretty sure you saw Symphonia's ending, so you'll know that regardless of what ending, Kratos takes a much needed "vacation." A long one too. /terrible spoiler censoring

Black Magician

Smash Apprentice
I'm pretty sure you saw Symphonia's ending, so you'll know that regardless of what ending, Kratos takes a much needed "vacation." A long one too. /terrible spoiler censoring
Yes, I have seen both endings. I meant that the game could use the Kratos ending, with everything pretty much the same, but without Zelos, who I hate.

CraigUK37

Underscore HERO
NNID
CraigUK37
Maybe Zelos fits in better this time, im sure, being the chosen of mana for his world that he will be needed to guide his people now that their world has been pretty much remodeled and their religion is a lie

Viroxor

Smash Ace
I just started playing Tales of Symphonia yesterday, based on the fact that I heard it was good. I started off skeptical, but now I've found myself quite hooked.

Unfortunately, I'm right now stuck on Magnius. His **** grab attack gets me all the time!

FootFace

Smash Apprentice
I never really played Symphonia, but I agree that Abyss is amazing

I can tell why they would seem the same(Smash and Tales)
They have similar battle styles.

Viroxor

Smash Ace
Ah, beat it last night after five straight of playing. Now I finally know why everyone says good stuff about this game, among other things. Turns out they really weren't joking about Abyssion being freaking hard.

Anyway, this is probably my new favorite 'Cube game, and my new favorite RPG, hands down. Now I have to go play the other games to see what those are all about.

And what's with the hate on Zelos? He was my favorite character in the game. I seriously freaked out when he betrayed me and I had to kill him. I actually reloaded all the way back to Flanoir just so I could have him not die, although the path where you fight him is decidedly more dramatic and climactic.

CraigUK37

Underscore HERO
NNID
CraigUK37
I think its because most people profer kratos, and as they are sort of the same they tend to choose him over Zelos calling him **** and what not. I think it took me 3 days none stop of playing Symphonia when i finished it the first time. I recon now with the x10 ecp multiplyer i could it in one? Haha.

Awesome game, i cant wait for ToS2

TaikaAli

Smash Apprentice
I'm huge Tales fan. I have always loved them because of good villains, they have good points doing the stuff they do.

SPOILERS

Like in Tales of symphonia Yggdrasil had good point on the stuff he did but went a little overboard with his idealism of killing everyone and stuff.

Van in the Tales of the abyss was superb, he didint simply go LOLZ CRAZY AND KILL PEOPLE because his whole home island was destroyed because the score but also had a good point about Score ruining everything and people who depend on score dont deserve to live.

Also i didin't feel like making new thread about this so I'll ask here.
Are Tales of Destiny I and II worth playing? (This really aint important question since im going to play then no matter what you say)
Are PS2 remakes good of 'em?
Link to shop i could buy them. (I'm an euro*** and never really buy anything outside my own country so i have no idea about good stores)
Also i have modchip on my ps2 so i can play american games.

Top Bottom