• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Taking tournaments seriously

ToP CaT

Smash Lord
Ive got a question for ya. I have a terrible time taking tournaments seriously, its not that i dont like the game or that im not interested in being good. I just feel like i play harder in friendlies. I cant help but not go for it all when i look over and the other guy is just concentrating so hard and wants it so bad. I usually play weird characters that i dont normally or do random things like crazy falcon punches. Is it that i just dont want it bad? or what? does anyone else joke around in tournaments like me?

Pi

Smash Hero
Ive got a question for ya. I have a terrible time taking tournaments seriously, its not that i dont like the game or that im not interested in being good. I just feel like i play harder in friendlies. I cant help but not go for it all when i look over and the other guy is just concentrating so hard and wants it so bad. I usually play weird characters that i dont normally or do random things like crazy falcon punches. Is it that i just dont want it bad? or what? does anyone else joke around in tournaments like me?
Could be that you're scared to try and fail.

Hazygoose

Smash Lord
if you don't have fun playing to win, melee is probably not the game for you.
that's the reason most melee people i know don't like brawl. it's playable, but the way you have to play to win just isn't that fun.
so if that's how you feel about melee, maybe look into other games that you have more fun with? otherwise, like someone said, what's the point in paying to enter a tournament?

Zodiac

Smash Master
I play to win and still have a hell of a lot of fun, but the only time I have a hard time taking tournaments seriously is when I have something else on my mind...like sleep..aaaaah sleep.

But seriously it is common that smashers will stop trying in a tournament match that they KNOW their going to loose just so it looks like they didnt try and could have won if they did. or...

Just dont want to try and fail as stated earlier.

HawaiianJigglyPuff

Smash Ace
I really think you're scared of trying your best and having your best not be good enough. (like others have said) If you don't try and lose, then you can just tell your self later that you didn't try your hardest so maybe you could have won.

When I play a friend of mine who I go pretty even with, sometimes I "give up" and sandbag for no reason just because I'm afraid of trying my best and still losing. This way I can do stupid stuff and he can know that I am sandbagging and he won't get arrogant. (unfortunately this never works because he thinks i am trying even when I selfdeath more than he kills me -_-)

Rat

Smash Lord
I hate those psychological answers, like you sabotage yourself or some ****.

I think it really means you are isai.

i pretend i'm like a sayian. Get super close to death, learn from it, increase your power level.

Zodiac

Smash Master
Having confidence in yourself is a big part in taking tournaments seriously, if you sandbag and give up that is an indicator that you dont have enough confidence in your skill.

mostwins

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4742-8002-0115
Smash Brothers isn't about fun. It's about winning. And you'll never win with Yoshi.
I love that video so much.

But half fun I get from melee is from watching myself get better and putting it to the test against other people.

The other half is just because the game is so much fun.

ToP CaT

Smash Lord
i like the isai answer, thats probably it, its not that its not the game for me i have been around the melee scene for yrs, and its not that im not confident in my skills i talk a lot of **** when im playing for real. idk i think games just arent as serious for me as some of the newer smashers, i take halo much more seriously

MexicanBJ

Smash Journeyman
i like the isai answer, thats probably it, its not that its not the game for me i have been around the melee scene for yrs, and its not that im not confident in my skills i talk a lot of **** when im playing for real. idk i think games just arent as serious for me as some of the newer smashers, i take halo much more seriously
who wouldn't like the isai answer best, doesn't make it true at all, man up and play, good fcuking johns

HawaiianJigglyPuff

Smash Ace
In that case, it sounds like a personal problem that we can't help you with. (i.e. this thread will probably get closed soon)

Top Bottom