• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

TAKE THAT! Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney smashes the prosecution!

KirbyMonadoBoy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shulkinator
I just finished the third case from TGAA2 and wow, this was an emotional rollercoaster – definitely my favourite case out of Chronicles so far, it felt like a final case. Can't wait to play the last two cases!

Flyboy

Smash Hero
The only confirmed ancestor is Naruhodo for Phoenix, and while the game itself does contain a few hints at other lineages and a few references, it doesn't outright state anything except for one cheeky reference involving Kazuma's sword. I'm pretty sure this is intentional - one thing that the character designer actually says in the notes in the Gallery section is that the characters have all lived full lives, so even if something isn't stated in the game they're happy for fans to let their imaginations run wild.

Last edited:

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
For those curious regarding Kazuma's sword,

Its name is Karuma, which is written the same way as the "von Karma" surname in Japanese, and Kazuma mentions at some point that he heard a friend of his father's took the sword's name to be their own surname.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
well im still early on but so far this version of holmes feels rather uninspired. though i put that down to holmes being done so often there isnt a version of him that would feel original cause nearly every version has been done before.

still i am pleased the text box wackiness is a strong as ever what with the bloke suddenly having a baby appear over his shoulder and the woman with the swan on her taking off a spreading chics all over the room. all we need now is to cross examine a non human character and we've hit ace attorney quirky jackpot

Last edited:

Bobthealligator

Smash Ace
well im still early on but so far this version of holmes feels rather uninspired. though i put that down to holmes being done so often there isnt a version of him that would feel original cause nearly every version has been done before.

still i am pleased the text box wackiness is a strong as ever what with the bloke suddenly having a baby appear over his shoulder and the woman with the swan on her taking off a spreading chics all over the room. all we need now is to cross examine a non human character and we've hit ace attorney quirky jackpot
Really? You think so?
I found this version of Sherlock to be the best I've seen for a long time, giving him actual flaws so that he needs help to piece his deductions together is a genius solution to the Holmes Problem (when the writers attempt to write a character smarter then they are, which is also part of my problem with Simon). Most adaptations have him make deductions that he couldn't possibly have known unless he was somehow omniscient.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Really? You think so?
I found this version of Sherlock to be the best I've seen for a long time, giving him actual flaws so that he needs help to piece his deductions together is a genius solution to the Holmes Problem (when the writers attempt to write a character smarter then they are, which is also part of my problem with Simon). Most adaptations have him make deductions that he couldn't possibly have known unless he was somehow omniscient.
ive seen a lot of the idiot holmes in things, people never get tired of throwing shade at him. i dunno maybe its hard to take him seriously when what ive seen so far hes just a more flamboyant gumshoe but with out the constant kicking him when hes down. having ryu help him solve his deductions came across as wanting to make their own character smarter than the famous one which of course is bound to happen in any mystery game where holmes is not the main character, after all what is the point in a mystery game if an ncp solves it for you. at the moment it feels like it could have been any famous detective and have had about the same effect

Bobthealligator

Smash Ace
ive seen a lot of the idiot holmes in things, people never get tired of throwing shade at him. i dunno maybe its hard to take him seriously when what ive seen so far hes just a more flamboyant gumshoe but with out the constant kicking him when hes down. having ryu help him solve his deductions came across as wanting to make their own character smarter than the famous one which of course is bound to happen in any mystery game where holmes is not the main character, after all what is the point in a mystery game if an ncp solves it for you. at the moment it feels like it could have been any famous detective and have had about the same effect
He's not an idiot though, he's still a genius, just one who tends to get stuck in his own head. Ryunosuke doesn't need to correct him that often really, it just feels like it's more often than it is because the game makes a bigger deal out of it, what with the Dance of Deduction and all.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
He's not an idiot though, he's still a genius, just one who tends to get stuck in his own head. Ryunosuke doesn't need to correct him that often really, it just feels like it's more often than it is because the game makes a bigger deal out of it, what with the Dance of Deduction and all.
well now that ive finished episode 2 ill admit hes grown on me

although not going into a courtroom at all really threw me

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
The way you can click on npc's in the background and talk to them instead of the screen only having 1 or 2 NPC's at a time kinda reminds me of how investigattions are done in Layton, without the puzzles.

Bobthealligator

Smash Ace
well now that ive finished episode 2 ill admit hes grown on me

although not going into a courtroom at all really threw me
Ohhh, that makes a lot more sense, sorry.

From what I've heard case 2 is pretty polarizing but I liked it.
Case 4 on the other hand? I have thoughts about this one that I imagine I'll post when I finally finish it.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
wow van zieks is absurd. he looks like he was borrowed from castlevania and it feels like hes trying to hard to be serious. it just makes me laugh. theyve got to stop introducing prosecutors as undefeated at this point in the series it feels meaningless

curious that theyve reimagined lestrade as a cockney pickpocket girl. no wonder they can still use the name

Bobthealligator

Smash Ace
wow van zieks is absurd. he looks like he was borrowed from castlevania and it feels like hes trying to hard to be serious. it just makes me laugh. theyve got to stop introducing prosecutors as undefeated at this point in the series it feels meaningless

curious that theyve reimagined lestrade as a cockney pickpocket girl. no wonder they can still use the name
I think Gina being a pickpocket is a reference to the Baker Street Irregulars.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Man all these stuck up English people who don’t trust people who are foreign really lends a sense of authenticity to this version of Britain :4pacman:

that might be one of those jokes that only works if you’re Scottish, Irish or Welsh

KirbyMonadoBoy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shulkinator
I just finished TGAAC and I enjoyed it a lot! While I consider GAA1 one of the weakest entries in the series, GAA2 is one of the best. I love how Resolve answered all open questions from the first game and how much better the pacing was. My favourite chronicles case is GAA2-3, which is the only case that moved me to tears + it has so many characters I really like.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I find it odd that the jury is supposed to be citizens selected at random, yet some of them are people Ryu has already met.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I find it odd that the jury is supposed to be citizens selected at random, yet some of them are people Ryu has already met.
it’s probably for the running gag of bemusement when he sees someone he recognises

or they used up all the game space on over the top animations

Bobthealligator

Smash Ace
They kind of explain it in the concept art section. Basically the Jury for the first case they appear in ended up a lot more fleshed out than they were originally intended to be to the point where they were basically indistinguishable from the witnesses. So they decided to reuse characters for the Jury for later cases on account of the increased workload the artist gave himself.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
about halfway through case 5

i like this version of lestrade but that cokeny accent is pretty bad

Top Bottom