• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

TAKE THAT! Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney smashes the prosecution!

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I'm actually really bumbed That we never got More out of Klavier because the series took such a drastic left turn in AA5.

I feel he should have been the prosecutor for turnabout academy at least. Like, they bothered to make 3d animations of His courtroom sprites only to basically never use them, does anyone else find this kinda weird? lol
nope. Capcom thinks that the fans weren’t interested so it makes sense in that regard

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
nope. Capcom thinks that the fans weren’t interested so it makes sense in that regard
Well, we kind of weren't.

Apollo Justice and its characters got a lot of hate back then. It was a black sheep for a long time.

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Well, we kind of weren't.

Apollo Justice and its characters got a lot of hate back then. It was a black sheep for a long time.
That led to Ace Attorney having the same problem as Sonic of all things, where listening to the fanbase too much led to the main series being mediocre lol While spin offs were the ones that were pretty good.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
That led to Ace Attorney having the same problem as Sonic of all things, where listening to the fanbase too much led to the main series being mediocre lol While spin offs were the ones that were pretty good.
I dunno.

I really love DD and SoJ.

Some of my favorite games actually.

SmashSSL

Smash Apprentice
So yeah, I'm gonna get a ton and a half of hate for this but

I liked SoJ better than T&T

Yeah. Again, for me it's just not as simple as "uhh Takumi good, Yamazaki bad". I find Phoenix Wright to be one of the best in the series, but Justice for All to be the worst (as in, least good, it's still not bad). I think Prosecutor's Path is the best, but Dual Destinies was incredibly disappointing to me. I think Layton vs Wright was kinda mediocre, I think Miles Edgeworth is great and extremely overhated....

Some people want to insist that the series has declined but... I don't see it. I see some games are better than others, but if we split them between old and new... I don't think the first half is perfect. It's not so simple.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Some people want to insist that the series has declined but... I don't see it. I see some games are better than others, but if we split them between old and new... I don't think the first half is perfect. It's not so simple.
I completely agree.
I personally had more fun with DD/SoJ than JfA and Apollo Justice, for example. I still like AA3 the most but if anything for me the mainline series has improved in general, though there are still things they could improve or fix, of course.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I think the biggest difference between how Takumi's games go and Yamazaki's games go is that in Takumi's games he tries to make things grow as the story progresses, this is both true in the original trilogy and the great ace attorney duology, games where the characters learnt their lessons and those lessons stick with them by the end of their story. These games feel like one big story that slowly builds over time and i always loved that.

Meanwhile in Yamazaki's stories each game is a standalone story, with the assumption that the people playing the game in question never played the previous games, explaining why characters like Phoenix have regressed or how Pearl still acts like a child despite being an adult at this point. Explaining why Apollo has three backstories that feel completely different from each other. And even why each game has so many new cast members that never come back, Like the Investigations 2 cast, the AA5 cast and very likely the Khurain cast will fall into this as well if Ace attorney 7 ever gets made. They arent allowed to make any REAL changes to the characters themselves because it isnt marketable, Another example being how Athena in AA6 is still treated like a rookie who's never handled a case despite the fact that she's helped out plenty during Dual Destinies so a simple case like the one she gets in 6 should be perfectly fine for her to handle.

Going back to the Sonic comparison for a second, it reminds me of how the early Sonic's had lore to them (Yes even the old 2D games if you payed attention) But once Sega realized how marketable Sonic the mascot is, not Sonic the character then they chose to focus on that aspect starting on Colors, where each Sonic game is now it's own standalone universe with no real connections to previous entries aside from the nostalgia bait stuff like Green hill zone.

We can agree to disagree on the quality of the games themselves but this part is an undeniable fact of how the series operates now.

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Spirit of Justice is far and away The Worst One for me but that's a one-game anomaly in a series with, what, ten other games that I love wholeheartedly for different reasons? It's my favorite series ever and a lot of that has to do with the series as a whole and how it all plays well together. Different writing teams have different strengths - the drama and overarching plots of AAI2 or DD are fantastic, but the down-to-earth subtle nature and realistic handling of serious situations of Takumi's original trilogy, AJ, and DGS are great too. I do agree that a big issue with Yamazaki's games - and this was one of the reasons SOJ bummed me out so much - is that they felt like they had to swerve hard and "course correct" into something familiar which lead to Athena being shafted, Phoenix regressing, and Apollo getting a third nonsensical backstory and "Hey look, Maya is the defendant again! You like that, right?". It's part of why DGS has felt like such a breath of fresh air. I'm on case 5 of TGAA1, and it's been a very interesting and unique experience throughout that tackles some heavy themes (though I'm glad we're getting both games in one, I'll say that much).

I don't think I prefer one style over the other. To me, it's all Ace Attorney, and all of it works together to make my favorite series in the world. I just have one deep hope and that is that Ace Attorney 7 doesn't shaft Athena again.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Spirit of Justice is far and away The Worst One for me but that's a one-game anomaly in a series with, what, ten other games that I love wholeheartedly for different reasons? It's my favorite series ever and a lot of that has to do with the series as a whole and how it all plays well together. Different writing teams have different strengths - the drama and overarching plots of AAI2 or DD are fantastic, but the down-to-earth subtle nature and realistic handling of serious situations of Takumi's original trilogy, AJ, and DGS are great too. I do agree that a big issue with Yamazaki's games - and this was one of the reasons SOJ bummed me out so much - is that they felt like they had to swerve hard and "course correct" into something familiar which lead to Athena being shafted, Phoenix regressing, and Apollo getting a third nonsensical backstory and "Hey look, Maya is the defendant again! You like that, right?". It's part of why DGS has felt like such a breath of fresh air. I'm on case 5 of TGAA1, and it's been a very interesting and unique experience throughout that tackles some heavy themes (though I'm glad we're getting both games in one, I'll say that much).

I don't think I prefer one style over the other. To me, it's all Ace Attorney, and all of it works together to make my favorite series in the world. I just have one deep hope and that is that Ace Attorney 7 doesn't shaft Athena again.
When you really think about DD and SOJ are kinda Ace Attorney's version of The Last Jedi and The Rise of Skywalker. At least thats what it feels like to me lol

A disjointed trilogy where the director left during the second act which led to said second act feeling completely different than the first, only for the third act to keep throwing things at the wall to try to please every section of the fanbase at once.

A good lesson to be learned with both, you cant please everyone, so dont even try.

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
Unlikely as it is, after seeing NISA team up with the Geofront team to officialize localize the Crossbell games from the Trails series based on their initial fan translation, it'd be great to see Capcom attempt something similar for the 2nd Investigations game, but that project has been finalized for so long that who knows if anyone at the team would be available for such a proposition.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Both writers have incredibly high highs but also have low lows while also having cases where it's just merely decent, I agree that Takumi generally does better but only because he's worked on 2 more games and I'd argue Takumi's been worse in terms of bad cases, Big Top Turnabout and GAA1-4 being in my top 3 worst cases.

TLDR Don't pit 2 kings against each other

MattX20

Smash Hero
Just beat Great Ace Attorney Chronicles. Good games, now if only we can get Ace Attorney Investigations 2

Handy Man

Smash Ace

KirbyMonadoBoy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shulkinator
I'm playing many hours per day with auto-text too and I've almost finished TGAA Adventures (the 5th case is really long!). I enjoyed the game (especially case 3), however I don't think it's as good as the main games of the series. I hope TGAA Resolve will be better than the first game, looking forward to playing it soon!

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
Edit: Oh, and Frisk from Undertale, they have a good shot too
Oh? Has something popped up, regarding his chances recently?
On that note, I wonder, given that Takumi's slated to direct AA7, if Yamazaki will work on another project. Could be AAI3, would be cool if they were to re-release the first two to introduce fans to that section of the franchise given TGAA appears to be a resounding success. How would a third Investigations game go nowadays? Would Edgeworth even be the protagonist? What era would it take place in? So many questions...
Where is the suggestion that Shu Takumi is coming back for Ace Attorney 7, coming from?

Last edited:

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
Oh nah, just after the sans costume I thought if it sold well enough, and the sans costume does have more views than some character reveals, and we never got a spirit event, so I just personally feel they have a good enough shot.
Hmm. Most enticing indeed. Although, I suppose negotiations for Frisk probably would've started at some time during Fighter's Pass 1, given how the sans costume came at the time it did.

Top Bottom