• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

TAKE THAT! Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney smashes the prosecution!

JustMyself13

Smash Journeyman
Not necessarily, I mean they wouldn't have been able to "save" all the other Capcom costumes to come with the Capcom character if that character brought in even more Capcom costumes themselves, they would have inevitably had to pair some of the costumes with other unrelated characters. If Phoenix can bring himself at least 4 more Capcom-only costumes, it wouldn't be wierd. And it's perfectly possible that Phoenix can fill in at least 4 slots with just Capcom costumes, between the AA series itself (which has tons of costume potential) and maybe some other franchises like Resident Evil (which I think it's weird we haven't at least got like a Chris costume with big buff Mii arms or something) or Dead Rising or something

Heck they didn't even save the Namco costumes for the Namco character, as we already got a couple of them prior to today, they could have saved Heihachi and Gil for today but they didn't. Phoenix can totally bring like just one Capcom costume and have the rest be unrelated, would be weird but not a first
Good point, not to mention that everyone thought Tekken was out completely due to that Mii costume, yet here we are. It doesn't seem to follow any sort of consistent ruleset anymore, at least when compared to the releases in the first pass.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Good point, not to mention that everyone thought Tekken was out completely due to that Mii costume, yet here we are. It doesn't seem to follow any sort of consistent ruleset anymore, at least when compared to the releases in the first pass.
For the record, I thought Heihachi was out in addition to reasons unrelated to the Mii costume: Pac-taunt cameo, his latest voice actor being dead shortly after doing :ultincineroar: and yet to have a replacement, Tekken 7's DLC support still ongoing, the works.

I never thought that he'd be done in just because lacking the Devil Gene wouldn't make him interesting enough, of all things.
If anything, the technical issues would have left Tekken out, but they managed to pull another :ultridley: nonetheless. Makes me think if Sak will think of anyone else he overlooked for those reasons if he's called back for the next major Nintendo console. Besides, EVERYONE in the Mishima family is a protagonist, iirc, so things are still relatively in the rules.

Last edited:

spicynun

Smash Journeyman
Regardless to whether or not Phoenix is a guarantee, you have to admit this point: Capcom has been notably out of the entire DLC lineup thus far. Apart from Ken, the only things they've gotten were the Smash 4 Mii Costumes + Arthur and Dante and one spirit event for MH Rise. It's eyebrow raising to say the least.
Resident Evil spirit event as well

SmashSSL

Smash Apprentice
Monster Hunter is, out of all Capcom's franchises, clearly Nintendo's priority considering it is exclusive
...Pretty sure it's not. It's not even close to being. Hell it even debuted on play station so... If anything people sure seem to constantly mistake Ace Attorney for a Nintendo exclusive or even first party Nintendo series. Neither of them is a nintendo exclusive but Ace Attorney is much, much more close to being one
I'm getting the impression that Nintendo decided to scramble the costumes around a bit during FP2 to reduce predictability. After all, costumes (even if they release at the same date) are a separate thing from the character packs, it doesn't really matter what company owns the rights to them and whether or not they have anything to do with the actual character. In other words, these are all costumes that would have been released anyway (some with a related character, some with an unrelated character) but they have been swapped around a bit, only leaving a small amount of them actually with their "originally meant" relevant characters

MattX20

Smash Hero
This late into the fighter pass, I'm pretty most would agree that Vergil wouldn't get in over Dante first. As of now, Phoenix, Amaterasu, and Morrigan are arguably the strongest characters you can argue for that aren't from a series already in Smash at this point. Morrigan's mostly due to her crossover queen status more than anything

Sonsa

Smash Champion
This late into the fighter pass, I'm pretty most would agree that Vergil wouldn't get in over Dante first. As of now, Phoenix, Amaterasu, and Morrigan are arguably the strongest characters you can argue for that aren't from a series already in Smash at this point. Morrigan's mostly due to her crossover queen status more than anything
Yeah, if any Capcom I'd consider Phoenix and Chun-Li the most possible. I love Amaterasu but I just don't see her as a big Nintendo-related icon or fan demand enough to pull a Banjo situation and Capcom doesn't seem interested in continuing her series. Morrigan...wouldn't be able to be herself fully.

Chun-Li would also be weird to get right after another character that auto-turns around and focuses on combo game. I expect the last one to have something different to show off like Bayo and her witch time or Byleth and their legendary weapons. But she still feels possible because she's iconic and follows Ryu to every other crossover.

I don't think I'm being biased, but if Capcom's getting in I'd think Phoenix would be the very next in line. Then if we get a definitive edition down the line then yeah I think Chun-Li definitely gets priority for that. Uhhh...this is the best chance Phoenix has ever had I guess?

SmashSSL

Smash Apprentice
Can someone fill me in on why is Chun Li specifically being predicted so much? I think 3 Steet Fighter characters before a second Mega Man character or a first (any other capcom series) character is very unlikely. Did something happen that suggested Chun Li in particular?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Can someone fill me in on why is Chun Li specifically being predicted so much? I think 3 Steet Fighter characters before a second Mega Man character or a first (any other capcom series) character is very unlikely. Did something happen that suggested Chun Li in particular?
If I recall correctly, some insider report had claimed that she was going to be planned for the base game, but that was dropped for unknown reasons.

Sonsa

Smash Champion
There was an old rumor sure, that said her and Lloyd were considered or something, but that's not really it. She's just a huge gaming icon. And follows Ryu to every crossover like Marvel vs Capcom, Tatsunoko vs Capcom, Teppen, Project x Zone, Fortnite, Power Rangers, she ain't just another Street Fighter, she's just one of the most recognizable video game characters in the world.

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
I think most in the Dante support thread would tell you it makes no sense to have Vergil before him (or Nero for that matter). I know you could say there's some precedent with Pyra/Mythra, but Dante is the face of the entire franchise, to have the antagonist of 2 games before him would be eyebrow raising, to sat the least.

I think it's pretty much that Chun Li could be argued is one of the most recognizable female figures in videogames, and Street Fighter is still a larger property than, say, Devil May Cry or Ace Attorney. Much as I'd personally hate the idea, it's not that unlikely of a possibility imo (although it makes you wonder why other iconic SF like Bison don't get the same traction).

MattX20

Smash Hero
I think most in the Dante support thread would tell you it makes no sense to have Vergil before him (or Nero for that matter). I know you could say there's some precedent with Pyra/Mythra, but Dante is the face of the entire franchise, to have the antagonist of 2 games before him would be eyebrow raising, to sat the least.

I think it's pretty much that Chun Li could be argued is one of the most recognizable female figures in videogames, and Street Fighter is still a larger property than, say, Devil May Cry or Ace Attorney. Much as I'd personally hate the idea, it's not that unlikely of a possibility imo (although it makes you wonder why other iconic SF like Bison don't get the same traction).
The main issue with Chun Li though is content based. Street Fighter in the base game is still very well represented in both characters and music tracks.

Bobthealligator

Smash Ace
...Pretty sure it's not. It's not even close to being. Hell it even debuted on play station so... If anything people sure seem to constantly mistake Ace Attorney for a Nintendo exclusive or even first party Nintendo series. Neither of them is a nintendo exclusive but Ace Attorney is much, much more close to being one

I'm getting the impression that Nintendo decided to scramble the costumes around a bit during FP2 to reduce predictability. After all, costumes (even if they release at the same date) are a separate thing from the character packs, it doesn't really matter what company owns the rights to them and whether or not they have anything to do with the actual character. In other words, these are all costumes that would have been released anyway (some with a related character, some with an unrelated character) but they have been swapped around a bit, only leaving a small amount of them actually with their "originally meant" relevant characters
I was clearly talking about Rise and Chronicles

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
The main issue with Chun Li though is content based. Street Fighter in the base game is still very well represented in both characters and music tracks.
Pretty much. Unless they do a push for SFV (which is incidentally having its unknown final pass character announcement by September), there isn't much else they can do for it this run.

Sonsa

Smash Champion
Yeah, our current Street Fighter content is mostly kept to SF2 besides some stuff like Juri's spirit, so Chun-Li couuuld bring some newer songs and characters but it's not like she's the face of "newer" or "modern" Street Fighter or anything so it's kinda awkward. She feels way more like a base roster character so I'd expect her if we got a definitive edition but now just doesn't seem like the right time.

As for Bison, he doesn't follow Ryu and Street Fighter to many other series. It would be weird and disjointed if he did even, him and Ryu don't have much of a relationship like Cloud and Sephiroth, it's Chun-Li that has that with him to avenge her dad. He was even only in Marvel vs Capcom 2 in the whole Vs series. Even when it wasn't Ryu, Akuma was the one that got in Tekken 7. Akuma was the secret boss of X-Men Children of the Atom, the first Capcom character to fight Marvel characters, Akuma was the one picked to come back in Marvel 3, Akuma is the one that has the dramatic relationship with Ryu, Akuma is the more celebrated Street Fighter bad guy.

And Akuma would be great in Smash too! He should get in, but again, as a base roster semi-clone, I'm not worried about him at all for this final spot because he shares a lot with Ryu and Ken, he's an actual shoto with the shoryuken, hadokens, and tatsus. He could be fun and different, his air hadokens going diagonally down, his tatsu's dropping down from the air and starting combos, he'd be a great uhh like Isabelle situation, whole fun new personality and history, being one of the biggest video game bad guys too, for less work than usual. But yeah, not worried about him as our final DLC.

I don't think I'm being biased but I feel very comfy and sure that Phoenix has the best shot and is the Capcom "frontrunner". It still could ultimately be a Pokemon like Cinderace or whoever else at the end, but yeah, he's still got a good chance.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Yeah, our current Street Fighter content is mostly kept to SF2 besides some stuff like Juri's spirit, so Chun-Li couuuld bring some newer songs and characters but it's not like she's the face of "newer" or "modern" Street Fighter or anything so it's kinda awkward. She feels way more like a base roster character so I'd expect her if we got a definitive edition but now just doesn't seem like the right time.

As for Bison, he doesn't follow Ryu and Street Fighter to many other series. It would be weird and disjointed if he did even, him and Ryu don't have much of a relationship like Cloud and Sephiroth, it's Chun-Li that has that with him to avenge her dad. He was even only in Marvel vs Capcom 2 in the whole Vs series. Even when it wasn't Ryu, Akuma was the one that got in Tekken 7. Akuma was the secret boss of X-Men Children of the Atom, the first Capcom character to fight Marvel characters, Akuma was the one picked to come back in Marvel 3, Akuma is the one that has the dramatic relationship with Ryu, Akuma is the more celebrated Street Fighter bad guy.

And Akuma would be great in Smash too! He should get in, but again, as a base roster semi-clone, I'm not worried about him at all for this final spot because he shares a lot with Ryu and Ken, he's an actual shoto with the shoryuken, hadokens, and tatsus. He could be fun and different, his air hadokens going diagonally down, his tatsu's dropping down from the air and starting combos, he'd be a great uhh like Isabelle situation, whole fun new personality and history, being one of the biggest video game bad guys too, for less work than usual. But yeah, not worried about him as our final DLC.

I don't think I'm being biased but I feel very comfy and sure that Phoenix has the best shot and is the Capcom "frontrunner". It still could ultimately be a Pokemon like Cinderace or whoever else at the end, but yeah, he's still got a good chance.
I doubt a new Pokemon from Generation 8 is happening because of the spirit event that occurred late in the first fighter pass. Going by what happened with Byleth, if they wanted a Gen 8 Pokemon, they would've saved those spirits.

Takasmash

Smash Ace
When I like at Phoenix in MVC3 look at him more as a Smash Fighter his moves is out of place in a 2D Fighting Game.

Sonsa

Smash Champion
I doubt a new Pokemon from Generation 8 is happening because of the spirit event that occurred late in the first fighter pass. Going by what happened with Byleth, if they wanted a Gen 8 Pokemon, they would've saved those spirits.
I dunno, I think it's strange it's taken this long but imagine us in this exact situation but they never did that spirit event or celebrated Sword & Shield's launch with a little event tourney. That'd be so weird and suspicious. Staying hush on the launch and saving them for later, I dunnooo... Sure, at the time I agreed it deconfirmed them for Pass 1, but since then...that thing was forever ago! Ending Ultimate with just that and no Gen 8 music or anything else seems so...awkward! It sold well, but maybe they figure all the Pokemon in the game already advertise it fine enough? An excuse that seems silly but I can imagine is like "Well we wanted to have a free update with Gen 8 Pokeball Pokemon but the limited DLC team doesn't do that so we skipped Gen 8 altogether" or something. I could even see a stage or a bundle of music as a little bonus, moving on finishing Ultimate with just a few images of Gen 8 Pokemon despite it being, yknow, Pokemon, and two of the best selling games on the switch, ahhh...I guess it's possible, but wow, awkward.

And while it does feel late, for base game I really thought it was too late for Incineroar but he showed up anyway about 3 years after it was decided and they left a Pokemon "slot" open. It's not guaranteed or anything but I would be super confused on what happened, like if the Sword and Shield drama really affecting it despite me and many others liking it and it being so successful, or I'd start thinking maybe the Pokemon company, being as huge as they are, is like...picky about DLC or something really weird like that?? I just wouldn't understand, but hey whatever! Cinderace and Phoenix both seem like they've got good chances so I really hope I get at least one of em...

smash puffle

Smash Ace
I've got no Geno, no Crash or no Mike Jones from StarTropics, but I sure hope I can at least get Phoenix as the last fighter. Besides Banjo, there hasn't been any DLC character that has excited me in a major way. Hopefully the last fighter can change that for me.

Last edited:

SmashSSL

Smash Apprentice
If I was forced to bet money on a specific franchise for character 11, I'd definitely bet for a Pokémon. Sadly, because that's the last thing I wanna see added at this point, and I'd be very happy to be wrong, but... I can't not imagine Nintendo going for yet another forced advertisement first party pick again. It's been the pattern and I don't see them stopping right now. But who knows, it's true that they did get that spirit event, it's true that not every pokémon gen is always necessarily guaranteed to have a playable character, and there are a couple of other things that Nintendo may want to advertise at the moment... Still, thinking about every possible character that comes to mind, I see a gen8 pokémon as the one that would surprise me the least.

Last edited:

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
Hmmm, it's hard to tell with Pokemon, they're pretty much a lock for the base roster, getting 1 or 2 newcommers, but maybe they see things differently with DLC? I remember an interview with Sakurai back during the Sm4sh days that negotiating with gamefreak for a pokemon is as consuming as getting a 3rd party, so maybe it's something they'd rather avoid doing more than once per entry or something.
Baseless speculation of course, much as the idea of another Pokemon bores me, it's hard to say it wouldn't sell well given the millions and millions each entry in that franchise sales, so it's not like the expense of resources to get another would be unjustified from a commercial standpoint.

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
Hmmm, it's hard to tell with Pokemon, they're pretty much a lock for the base roster, getting 1 or 2 newcommers, but maybe they see things differently with DLC? I remember an interview with Sakurai back during the Sm4sh days that negotiating with gamefreak for a pokemon is as consuming as getting a 3rd party, so maybe it's something they'd rather avoid doing more than once per entry or something.
Baseless speculation of course, much as the idea of another Pokemon bores me, it's hard to say it wouldn't sell well given the millions and millions each entry in that franchise sales.
The Pokemon Company is very strict about DLC. And they only did the DLC for Sword and Shield because they didn't want to make special editions/sequels to them. That, and the fact that none of the characters in the pass have had more than English and or Japanese voice actors and crowd cheers really makes a Pokemon unlikely considering how the names and voices can vary quite wildly

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
If I were to hazard a guess it's because Chun li is arguably the most iconic female gaming character of all time, and she's in almost as many crossovers as Ryu. She suspiciously didn't get the assist trophy spot for SF2, either. With Sephiroth in, we very clearly can get additional unique fighters from 3rd party franchises.

She has a lot going for her too. Although I feel personally like if they had Chun Li planned they probably would have steered away from Min Min.

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
The Pokemon Company is very strict about DLC. And they only did the DLC for Sword and Shield because they didn't want to make special editions/sequels to them. That, and the fact that none of the characters in the pass have had more than English and or Japanese voice actors and crowd cheers really makes a Pokemon unlikely considering how the names and voices can vary quite wildly
Ah yeah, I forgot about the translated cheer thing, Pokemons is one of the few series that might change names in languages like french, Spanish, deustche, etc. So that might be a hint to their absence.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
It had me considering along with Amaterasu, she or Phoenix are my current want for the last slot and Sakurai stating in the presentation that FP11 would take longer then expected as Steve had due to being complex. Phoenix I can see being complex with Sakurai trying to implement Phoenix's moveset and fighting based off from the MvC games.

Something to think about and especially now that Dante is out of the running as well as Phoenix's history with Nintendo on consoles and considered an honorary Nintendo character like Banjo and Bayonetta.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Here is what Sakurai said in the presentation. Most likely he means a fall reveal/release. I'm willing to bet the reveal itself will occur in the September general direct.
1624926507759.png

Last edited:

KirbyMonadoBoy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shulkinator
The 7 most likeliest characters in my opinion:

- Phoenix Wright (so many Capcom franchises are represented, but AA not at all? I still have hope!)

- Rayman (the situation is similar to Phoenix, why would they include Ubisoft costumes like the Rabbids and Altair, but not the mascot himself with a lot of connection to Nintendo, Rayman? )

- Master Chief (never count out Vergeben, he's been right so many times... and the splash screen would be perfect "Master Chief finished the fight")

- BotW1/2 Zelda (Sakurai has noted that they unfortunately don't have an updated Zelda amiibo... he also noted that BotW Zelda wasn't included since she does research and no actual fighting in BotW. With the release of BotW2 next year that could change and BotW Zelda could be a perfect promotion character)

- A new Pokémon (Smash always puts in new Pokémon and with new Pokémon games in the horizon this would be another good promotional pick - either a Gen 8 or maybe Decidueye to promote Arceus)

- Ryu Hayabusa (the last big retro character still missing which at the same time has a lot of relevance + we haven't had any Koei Tecmo character yet, despite the strong ties with Nintendo)

- Geno (Sakurai wanted to include Geno in Brawl as well as in Smash 4 and maybe he ends the pass with the one character that has such a big fanbase and that at this point nobody expects in order to surprise everyone, similar to how most people counted out Tekken since they thought the Heihachi costume was a deconfirmation)

MattX20

Smash Hero
Isn't 3 months a pretty standard timeframe for smash reveals? Him saying it will be awhile is making me think closer to Nov/Dec (even though September would be better for us with TGS close by).
3 months is still a while. Not even Steve took that long to get revealed and released after Min Min, and Steve was by far the most complex character of the DLC cycle.

Pinguino21v

Smash Ace
The 7 most likeliest characters in my opinion:

- Phoenix Wright (so many Capcom franchises are represented, but AA not at all? I still have hope!)

- Rayman (the situation is similar to Phoenix, why would they include Ubisoft costumes like the Rabbids and Altair, but not the mascot himself with a lot of connection to Nintendo, Rayman? )

- Master Chief (never count out Vergeben, he's been right so many times... and the splash screen would be perfect "Master Chief finished the fight")

- BotW1/2 Zelda (Sakurai has noted that they unfortunately don't have an updated Zelda amiibo... he also noted that BotW Zelda wasn't included since she does research and no actual fighting in BotW. With the release of BotW2 next year that could change and BotW Zelda could be a perfect promotion character)

- A new Pokémon (Smash always puts in new Pokémon and with new Pokémon games in the horizon this would be another good promotional pick - either a Gen 8 or maybe Decidueye to promote Arceus)

- Ryu Hayabusa (the last big retro character still missing which at the same time has a lot of relevance + we haven't had any Koei Tecmo character yet, despite the strong ties with Nintendo)

- Geno (Sakurai wanted to include Geno in Brawl as well as in Smash 4 and maybe he ends the pass with the one character that has such a big fanbase and that at this point nobody expects in order to surprise everyone, similar to how most people counted out Tekken since they thought the Heihachi costume was a deconfirmation)
I have a similar idea of who it could be. However, this pass is clearly a "second chance" pass and Pokémon doesn't fit this thematic. I would also put Geno out since he has been costumed during this pass. Last, I don't feel Master Chief at all, even if Microsoft seems to be willing to participate, they already had two characters, and I think he would have been added sooner in this pass if he was in.

It won't end in a bang IMO. The best options, to me, are, in no order:
  • Less known japanese third parties including
    • Phoenix
    • Ryu Hayabusa
  • Ubisoft's Rayman
  • A first-party who "missed his chance", like the theme of this pass seems to be. Potentially an AT upgrade, most likely one of the following three:
    • A Zelda rep
    • Waluigi
    • Isaac

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
Ryu isn't the last big retro character missing. Even with Arthur getting his costume, Contra exists. Nintendo loves promoting Contra too. Big, big mainstay for the NES and SNES era.

AnEasterEgg

Smash Journeyman
I've got no Geno, no Crash or no Mike Jones from StarTropics, but I sure hope I can at least get Phoenix as the last fighter. Besides Banjo, there hasn't been any DLC character that has excited me in a major way. Hopefully the last fighter can change that for me.
I wouldn't say Crash is totally impossible yet. Sure, he'd make sense as an E3 reveal, but we all know Nintendo often doesn't make the obvious decision. Maybe they'd think Crash is a big enough deal to be better served generating hype without E3. Personally, my ideal end to this pass is Crash, followed by Phoenix objecting to that being the last fighter and being the rumored bonus character. Of course me getting that is about as likely as winnning the lottery, but I can hope.

Sonsa

Smash Champion
Y'know, Megaman was picked for Smash before Ryu... and while I see them both as mascots I guess at the time and now Megaman really just isn't as big as Ryu to Capcom. It was at a time when Capcom didn't even bother to include Megaman in Marvel vs Capcom 3 saying Zero was similar enough, hmm... But Megaman was the #2 most requested 3rd party after Sonic. So while Resident Evil and Monster Hunter are bigger than Ace Attorney, umm... hm. I wish I had a better gauge of how big fan demand for Phoenix was, cause sure, I remember plenty of fan polls where Phoenix was easily #1 and beat Dante and Resident Evil didn't even show up, but a big part of that was because Dante and RE didn't feel possible, Cloud and Joker hadn't shown that pretty much anything was possible yet.

I think Phoenix might be another Megaman/Ryu situation where his fan demand beats out other Capcom options, partly cause of being so close to Nintendo and all, but I dunno, I wish we had more objective ways to gauge fan demand... Lots of fan polls looked pretty good and I know Phoenix has trended on twitter a few times, hmm... I don't even know like...the comparison of Phoenix and someone like Shantae! Like, I guess Shantae people have been passionate and seen for a while, right? It seems like Dante's been uhh requested for a shorter time, but checking tweets people responded to all sorts of Smash stuff with Dante memes all the time...

And yeah, we haven't had Phoenix deconfirmed yet with Miis or a spirit event or anything, but at the same time what mii would even work for Ace Attorney?? Unless it's like...the Steel Samurai on a swordfighter using the samurai spear or Phoenix just slapped on a Brawler cause the other two make even less sense then umm, yeah?? And there's been no releases to celebrate with a spirit event yet, but we might get one soon... well actually the trilogy port came around Feb 2019 for Japan and April 2019 everywhere else...

Hey wait a minute! Maybe I'm being goofy but it seems like the trilogy port came around April 2019 and we never got any Ace Attorney spirits. Smash was getting new spirits at the time, but just like Mario Party, yknow, not 3rd party stuff yet, so maybe it was too soon. But Resident Evil got some switch ports too at uhh May 21 2019 and while they didn't get an event right away, they did eventually get one at the end of November 2019... So even though it was ported later and the spirit event was months later they still celebrated Resident Evil... and maybe it's just cause it's big and Ace Attorney is being ignored again, but huh... But fan demand right? They know we want him, they heard the fan demand, right...? But that was still back in Fighters Pass 1 too, didn't they already pick who'd be in? Phoenix wasn't there, maybe it was just a timing thing? But Resident Evil got an event even if it was late, why wouldn't Ace Attorney...unless they really figured "Oh it's too late, ah, it's fine, he'll get something later" but all we know we're getting later is The Great Ace Attorney stuff which Phoenix Edgeworth and others aren't even in... uhhh...

I do a lot of thinking out loud here haha, but yeah, does this get anyone else thinking or am I being dumb? I guess I just have no clue how loud requests for Phoenix have been. Even though I've seen him win Capcom by a lot on fan polls Dante got acknowledgements like "we should get the games on the switch first" and stuff... I haven't seen much demand for Chun-Li at all either, I've mostly just seen expectations since she's so iconic and all, but I never see her make it high on any fan poll or a Chun-Li meme under any tweet haha

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
It's hard to believe that with one character left and most character's fanbases packing up, Phoenix is now one of the more likelier options now that most of his greatest competition has been Mii'd or Spirited. The next few months will be interesting, as others have said before, while there are so many Capcom franchises is represented in the game in some way, shape, or form, from Street Fighter, Megaman, Ghosts and Goblins, Monster Hunter, Resident Evil, and Devil May Cry, Ace Attorney is suspiciously absent.

I have a feeling there will be at least some form of acknowledgement in the game for Ace Attorney considering how close it's been to Nintendo for the past two decades. Whether its a spirit event, Mii Costume, or full playable character and challenger pack (which the last option is the one we probably all want much more), is yet to be seen.

Last edited:

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
Like, I can understand not prioritizing Phoenix as the next playable Capcom character, but after seeing other Capcom IPs IN RE, MH, GnG and DMC get some sort of aknowledgement, it's kinda hard to believe AA wouldn't at least get a spirit or something down the line. But then again, you could consider Layton the bigger of those portable VN-esque franchises we saw on the DS/PSP generation and it's just as emblematic to Nintendo handhelds as AA, yet it seems like he'll get nothing to represent it's series by the end of Ultimate's support, although it's true there's no Level 5 content to speak of whatsoever compared to Capcom.

SmashSSL

Smash Apprentice
The current situation reminds me a lot of the time after Terry and prior to Byleth, where almost every 3rd party company got "deconfirmed" (by some leaker or something I dont remember) except Capcom, and within Capcom pretty much every option but Phoenix got also deconfirmed. That was when Phoenix's chances were the highest but some of us simply didn't consider a Nintendo character as a possibility for some reason... Hopefully history won't repeat itself?

Flyboy

Smash Hero
The current situation reminds me a lot of the time after Terry and prior to Byleth, where almost every 3rd party company got "deconfirmed" (by some leaker or something I dont remember) except Capcom, and within Capcom pretty much every option but Phoenix got also deconfirmed. That was when Phoenix's chances were the highest but some of us simply didn't consider a Nintendo character as a possibility for some reason... Hopefully history won't repeat itself?
Indeed, it's important to remember that not only are there tons of other companies out there (like Ubisoft - back in the picture with Kazuya showing that the Rabbid and Altair Miis aren't deconfirms) but also Nintendo could easily swoop in. Octoling is someone I would say one should keep an eye on, and Ayumi Tachibana may have a chance, too. There's also promotional third parties that are already part of Smash, such as Sega wanting to promote Shin Megami Tensei V. Phoenix is in no way a given, but it would be nice if we got some AA content before the end of Ultimate.

Ny0kazer

Smash Apprentice
View attachment 321262
There's a new glitch which involves Cloud's attack png being stuck. It fits so well with Phoenix Wright's objections and TAKE THAT!
The glitch that lots of people are connecting with Reimu that involves projectiles going through any character's head without damaging them is also still around. Apparently it's not related to Kazuya since this glitch may point to a new mechanic, whereas Kazuya's crouch dash just gives him invulnerability on his upper body.

Assuming that both of these glitches relate to Nick, what could the projectile glitch mean for him? Some weird form of Turnabout Mode where he uses the sheer power of lawyering to pass through projectiles?

Top Bottom