• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

TAKE THAT! Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney smashes the prosecution!

SmashSSL

Smash Apprentice
Who are people expecting for last now anyways? My most wanted are Phoenix and Cinderace and I feel like both have a good shot while I see other characters getting deconfirmed, like Master Chief by Halo director on the 15th, and Lloyd, I'm assuming we'll see his mii soon.
A gen 8 Pokémon. I wouldn't bet money, but thinking about every candidate I can come up with, it's the one I'd be the least surprised about.
I also wouldn't put it past Nintendo to literally announce the next Fire Emblem avatar protagonist for Smash in the very same direct they first announce the game itself (it's not impossible that the next FE game has already started development, if it started prior to Byleth's release then it is technically possible they were picked for FP2 as early as then). A Zelda character wouldn't be that weird either (and it would be cool) but given how the Smash series treats Zelda I'm not counting on it (but it IS a possibilty). And maybe this is being too optimistic, but I think a Metroid character is also slightly possible.
While nothing negates a third party character I'm really not counting on one.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Who are people expecting for last now anyways? My most wanted are Phoenix and Cinderace and I feel like both have a good shot while I see other characters getting deconfirmed, like Master Chief by Halo director on the 15th, and Lloyd, I'm assuming we'll see his mii soon.
Well, I'm going of the music test menu's last empty slot once Kazuya and Tekken's music tracks are added to the game, but I think the final character will either be from a series represented in Smash, but never had a fighter to rep it before or a new IP. Characters like Phoenix, Shantae, Professor Layton, Rayman, and Ayumi Tachibana fit this description

Sonsa

Smash Champion
Ah, right. Yeah, I guess people are expecting a newer Nintendo character, last pass ended with a fighting game guy into a new Nintendo person. Maybe Cinderace, would be weird to end Ultimate with Gen 8 only getting some spirits, maybe someone from the next Zelda or Splatoon could get it... I could also see people chat more about Rhythm Heaven in the coming months, this whole pass has been characters in talks for a long time or directly publicly said to be attempted or considered, and dataminers and stuff say Chorus Kids were definitely attempted for Smash 4... oh speaking of that I guess
Well, I'm going of the music test menu's last empty slot once Kazuya and Tekken's music tracks are added to the game, but I think the final character will either be from a series represented in Smash, but never had a fighter to rep it before or a new IP. Characters like Phoenix, Shantae, Professor Layton, Rayman, and Ayumi Tachibana fit this description
Yeah something about music slots and voice slots in the data? I don't know enough about that, is there a reddit or something where I can keep track of that?
Phoenix was planned for E3 but eventually was swapped to be the last fighter in order to coincide with the reveal of Ace Attorney 7, which was originally intended to release earlier, but was pushed back due to Covid.
Maybe! I know this mighta been said jokingly partly, but I dunno if things were switched around... I'm starting to think maybe Byleth and Terry switched spots, and stuff getting shifted around last year definitely makes sense, but yeah, dunno...

Even forgetting Smash, I think TGS'll have good Ace Attorney news! It's the 20 year anniversary! I dunno if it'll be Ace Attorney 7, that'd be cool, it could be ports of 4 through 6 too...or maybe just a little nothing but at least a little "stay tuned" or something? I guess we'll see in just about...wow, like 2 and a half months, time flies!

Bobthealligator

Smash Ace
Ah, right. Yeah, I guess people are expecting a newer Nintendo character, last pass ended with a fighting game guy into a new Nintendo person. Maybe Cinderace, would be weird to end Ultimate with Gen 8 only getting some spirits, maybe someone from the next Zelda or Splatoon could get it... I could also see people chat more about Rhythm Heaven in the coming months, this whole pass has been characters in talks for a long time or directly publicly said to be attempted or considered, and dataminers and stuff say Chorus Kids were definitely attempted for Smash 4... oh speaking of that I guess

Yeah something about music slots and voice slots in the data? I don't know enough about that, is there a reddit or something where I can keep track of that?

Maybe! I know this mighta been said jokingly partly, but I dunno if things were switched around... I'm starting to think maybe Byleth and Terry switched spots, and stuff getting shifted around last year definitely makes sense, but yeah, dunno...

Even forgetting Smash, I think TGS'll have good Ace Attorney news! It's the 20 year anniversary! I dunno if it'll be Ace Attorney 7, that'd be cool, it could be ports of 4 through 6 too...or maybe just a little nothing but at least a little "stay tuned" or something? I guess we'll see in just about...wow, like 2 and a half months, time flies!
The most likely theory I've seen is that Nintendo likes to end on a recent character (I know Corrin was revealed before Bayo but they released at the same time so I'd argue that it definitely fits) so that the game ages a bit better in the long run. Honestly, if they go with this again, I think gen 8 is a bit too old (as is Ring Fit) so I think they'd probably have to go with Nahobino.
I just hope we get something, at least a Spirit Event, but I'm hoping for a Phoenix Mii Costume (dream is with a track, but they haven't done that for a while). Because if we do get a Capcom character, I can't see them adding Ace Attorney before Devil May Cry, Monster Hunter or Resident Evil.

Last edited:

JustMyself13

Smash Journeyman
The most likely theory I've seen is that Nintendo likes to end on a recent character (I know Corrin was revealed before Bayo but they released at the same time so I'd argue that it definitely fits) so that the game ages a bit better in the long run. Honestly, if they go with this again, I think gen 8 is a bit too old (as is Ring Fit) so I think they'd probably have to go with Nahobino.
I just hope we get something, at least a Spirit Event, but I'm hoping for a Phoenix Mii Costume (dream is with a track, but they haven't done that for a while). Because if we do get a Capcom character, I can't see them adding Ace Attorney before Devil May Cry, Monster Hunter or Resident Evil.
I mean, I'd argue that Mega Man was way less relevant in 2013 than Street Fighter and all the other series' you mentioned were. Same goes for Banjo being the first Microsoft rep over Steve, Master Chief, etc. While relative popularity definitely matters, I don't think it's prioritized over moveset potential.

Sonsa

Smash Champion
I've heard this theory yeah, not a bad idea, and while I'd agree, I was saying that about Incineroar, Gen 7 was on its way out. I didn't believe the uh pwshh "Grinch" stuff, but I didn't believe Incineroar was coming either, I thought it was too late, he missed his chance. But he popped up anyway, and if they skip my favorite fire bunny now, then wow, I just don't get it I guess haha

And yeah,
I mean, I'd argue that Mega Man was way less relevant in 2013 than Street Fighter and all the other series' you mentioned were. Same goes for Banjo being the first Microsoft rep over Steve, Master Chief, etc. While relative popularity definitely matters, I don't think it's prioritized over moveset potential.
It's hard to say, but yeah, weirder things have happened? Banjo had a thing with Nintendo (and just fan demand, but the history definitely helps) so got in over more iconic Microsoft characters, but also Snake got in over the Castlevania boys partly cause Kojima and friendship... Popularity helps, connection with Nintendo helps, personal favors help?

Megaman and Ryu are already in, Monster Hunter devs have shared they think the best representation is through the Monsters which we have with a Rathalos boss fight...

Resident Evil is possible, I personally feel like their tone doesn't fit, and things like Nemesis seem too disturbing to even show up as a spirit, but MvC2 Jill is cool and something like that could work...

Dante's also really possible, and while Kamiya did put up that poll a while ago about which of his characters people'd wanna see in Smash and Dante won before he took it down, he's also shown interest for Wright in Smash? To be honest I'm not sure what this one means, https://twitter.com/PG_kamiya/status/1075222957507502080 someone basically said "I loved seeing Bayonetta of Platinum Games get in, I'd also love to see Phoenix Wright from Ace Attorney to get in Smash as DLC" and he retweeted it and I guess, according to google translate, said "'Platinum Games' is not it..." like... Saying that Bayo isn't from Platinum or...? There was also this time though where he shared while drinking with Takumi that Takumi was wondering why Wright wasn't in Smash https://twitter.com/PushDustIn/status/1201290146580070400?s=20

It's naive of me, but I think it'd be really heartwarming if Kamiya saw he already got Bayo in and did his buddy a solid and vouched for Wright maybe? No clue, not even sure if Kamiya or Takumi or Sakurai would be in initial negotiations, not sure who the Nintendo folks deciding DLC would go to at Capcom or wherever...

But I guess my point is, nah, Phoenix could totally get in first over Monster Hunter, Resident Evil, or Dante. He's got the tighter connection with Nintendo, more unique potential (though I'm sure Dante, RE, and Monster Hunter, despite their swords, guns, bows or other weapons could also be plenty unique), and possible friendships to help. No guarantee, but enough of a possibility for me to get my hopes up ha!

Last edited:

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
if we consider RE and MH out of the equation, I do think Phoenix has enough going for for Nintendo to choose him as a new Capcom rep over Dante and viceversa. I feel the biggest obstacle for either of them is whether Capcom is getting another rep or not for the rest of Ultimates lifespan (or if they chose Chun-Li instead I guess).
Obviously Capcom has a big repertoire of other characters we could ponder about, but I feel they're not as significant as the previously mentioned, Arthur felt like the likelier dark horse of the company, and he got mii costumed last batch so yeah.

Last edited:

Bobthealligator

Smash Ace
if we consider RE and MH out of the equation, I do think Phoenix has enough going for for Nintendo to choose him as a new Capcom rep over Dante and viceversa. I feel the biggest obstacle for either of them is whether Capcom is getting another rep or not for the rest of Ultimates lifespan (or if they chose Chun-Li instead I guess).
Obviously Capcom has a big repertoire of other characters we could ponder about, but I feel they're not as significant as the previously mentioned, Arthur felt like the likelier dark horse of the company, and he got mii costumed last batch so yeah.
Monster Hunter? Yes. Resident Evil? No. I don't see much of a reason to consider the RE spirit event an issue when it was almost 3 years ago at this point and we got Heihachi's Mii costume earlier this pass. I also wouldn't count out Dante just yet, I'd say he and Nick are on fairly equal footing.
Not that I think we're getting a Capcom character, my money's on Nahobino.

Last edited:

Sonsa

Smash Champion
Who the hell is Emmi...? Oh! This sleek new robot from Metroid, oh cool, yeah they look like they'd be super cool actually, I always thought Chell from Portal would be great shooting portals around and doing sequences never seen before, and her fighting Emmi would be so cool, it has that same sleek lab aesthetic as the turrets from Portal, looks like their boss, and imagining Emmi feeling like a fleshed out character fighting Master Hand, yeah that's neat. I feel like Samus, Dark Samus, and Ridley are the perfect Metroid lineup, but yeah if they really wanted to do another then I'd really prefer this Emmi! But would they pick another Metroid character? Hmm... From what I heard Metroid does well with critics and people who play it, but just not enough people play it, but after E3 they've succeeded in getting a bunch of new people interested in trying, maybe Dark Samus and Ridley in Smash helped, but FP2 people were picked a while ago, I guess it's possible Nintendo would ask Sakurai if he could make a moveset for this robot to advertise this new game in a series they want to sell better, huh...

I mean yeah I still prefer Cinderace and Phoenix, but this Emmi thing seems cool and also pretty possible actually... and I guess I prefer it over other options too, hm... yeah, don't know enough, like when development started and if it was around FP2 getting decided, but seems like a possibility woah

MattX20

Smash Hero
The one thing that can be said for certain is that we'll likely find out who FP11 is by October at the absolute latest.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
can i just check is GAA set entirely in england? cause its always interesting to see how other countries view it

Sonsa

Smash Champion
.__.
So...did you know or did you not know who it was?
I had no clue it was named Emmi or that people were considering it for smash, but googled after reading here and now I know, yup!

And yeah, September/October. Heard some talk the next one will probably be shown at the game awards and woah no, I don't think the wait will be that long...!

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
There are parts of the games that take place in Japan first and the second case takes place on an overseas travel from Japan to England in the first game
thanks

I had no clue it was named Emmi or that people were considering it for smash, but googled after reading here and now I know, yup!
its best just to assume all video game characters are being considered for smash by someone

Last edited:

Sonsa

Smash Champion
Mhm! I mean...I guess I just figured that fancy new robot was too new. We only found out about it uh like a week ago, and if the final character is shown around September or somethin, then it'd be a character we've only known for about 3 months getting in, which hey, is possible, but would be a new record? Corrin's game was out in Japan 6 months before they were announced for Smash, Greninja's was out worldwide for 6 months before being announced... oh, I guess Roy got in Smash before his game ever even came out so no, he holds the record, hm. Though we are 20 years later, I dunno if they'd do something like that again, Sakurai said he has regret for how it worked out and how he got Roy's character kinda wrong, so that too...

While I think EMMI is cool and should show up in the future I would think that they're probably too new... I know they'd know more and develop behind the scenes like they've developed just with concept art before, and maybe we were supposed to see Dread sooner but timing got mixed up, but man, I dunno... still totally possible, but just seems too new.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Mhm! I mean...I guess I just figured that fancy new robot was too new. We only found out about it uh like a week ago, and if the final character is shown around September or somethin, then it'd be a character we've only known for about 3 months getting in, which hey, is possible, but would be a new record? Corrin's game was out in Japan 6 months before they were announced for Smash, Greninja's was out worldwide for 6 months before being announced... oh, I guess Roy got in Smash before his game ever even came out so no, he holds the record, hm. Though we are 20 years later, I dunno if they'd do something like that again, Sakurai said he has regret for how it worked out and how he got Roy's character kinda wrong, so that too...

While I think EMMI is cool and should show up in the future I would think that they're probably too new... I know they'd know more and develop behind the scenes like they've developed just with concept art before, and maybe we were supposed to see Dread sooner but timing got mixed up, but man, I dunno... still totally possible, but just seems too new.
probably is too new but lets face it most fans abandoned reality ages ago theyll support who theyll support

Sonsa

Smash Champion
probably is too new but lets face it most fans abandoned reality ages ago theyll support who theyll support
And that's fine, Emmi would make a great addition for a definitive edition of Ultimate or maybe whatever else is next for Smash!

Hm, if we did get a definitive edition, which I hope for, to port and add on to Ultimate, then we could use DLC characters in classic modes and spirit fights and stuff and then Piranha Plant could be Charley ayy <3

Since we're so close to the end I guess I've already been thinking about the next one, whatever's next... Base game characters, characters that don't bring a stage, new modes, and while I'd rather have Phoenix make it into this shooting star of a game, who knows, maybe Phoenix could be the hypothetical definitive version's Simon and bring Apollo or Edgeworth as an echo. Phoenix could appear in other peoples classic modes or in spirit fights and be used in menu art, that'd be cool! But also if Ultimate got a big update like that they'd probably wanna get Chun-Li in there. But hey, no rule her and Phoenix and others can't make it...would be a relief to skip all the risk and just get Phoenix now, but ah well, if he doesn't make it I'll just start hoping harder for all that haha

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
So with the deconfirmation of Dante, where does this put our favorite attorney's chances?
frontrunner Capcom rep if you consider MH and RE out of the running (I know not everyone does), but still with a lot of outside competition given how many characters could still take that last spot. But you know, after Dante, I'll be shocked if Phoenix doesn't at least get a mii costume if he doesn't close up the pass.

JustMyself13

Smash Journeyman
So this is...odd? Once again we got more Capcom costumes with a non-Capcom fighter, and this time it's DANTE, arguably the biggest competition facing Phoenix. Did anyone notice how...oddly detailed the Kirby transformation was too? He got gloves, eyebrows, and even the red eye, when usually it would only be the hair alone. I wonder if that's to differentiate him from another spiky-haired transformation...

I have no idea what this means for Phoenix. On one hand, you could argue that Phoenix would come with all these Capcom costumes and is therefore out along with any other potential fighter. But on the other hand, Ace Attorney is all about the wacky and memorable characters you come across, so I could very easily see a fully dedicated Mii costume pack solely for Ace Attorney. That would explain why so many fan favorites were dropped today for seemingly no reason, for such a drop would be expected to go along with the final announcement.

Last edited:
Top Bottom